Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Donald trump 100% is being shown pro regime protesters in Iran and is being told that these are opposition begging America to come to their rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Al-Saqr posted:

Donald trump 100% is being shown pro regime protesters in Iran and is being told that these are opposition begging America to come to their rescue.

lol

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not only that, he's probably already authorized funds for opposition groups and is looking at intervention plans.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy by any measure, but that plans for such a conspiracy have already been laid on the table.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
really great that iran is mashing the protesters into a fine pulp with trucks and hosing them down the drain

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

really great that iran is mashing the protesters into a fine pulp with trucks and hosing them down the drain

Making fun of disinformation =/= Iranian regime is good.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

This is not funny ironically so I can only assume you're being unironic :chloe:

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Frijolero posted:

Not only that, he's probably already authorized funds for opposition groups and is looking at intervention plans.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy by any measure, but that plans for such a conspiracy have already been laid on the table.

Luckily, all opposition will be organized through TRUMP Hotels event planning, and the funds will be harmlessly embezzled.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Often Abbreviated posted:

Luckily, all opposition will be organized through TRUMP Hotels event planning, and the funds will be harmlessly embezzled.

I mean the CIA has been a huge laughable fuckup for 70 years, but they still manage to get thousands of people killed.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i support the downfall of the clerics and more freedoms for iranians, but knowing the history of iran and US backed coups, a far right wing dictatorship is a far more likely outcome than a leftist government that respects human rights. the 2009 protests resulted in rouhani, which was good, so I hope those kinds of developments continue

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
there have been way more anti-govt protests in the us than in iran this past year, and its funny to watch the media conveniently ignore this while building a case for war with iran based on their anti-govt protests, but to be fair i'd be ok with a foreign govt bombing the poo poo out of dc and installing a new constitution

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Karl Barks posted:

i support the downfall of the clerics and more freedoms for iranians, but knowing the history of iran and US backed coups, a far right wing dictatorship is a far more likely outcome than a leftist government that respects human rights. the 2009 protests resulted in rouhani, which was good, so I hope those kinds of developments continue

iran is nearly a far right wing dictatorship already though

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this is like saying boy shucks i hope the tzar can stabilize things, wouldn't want a right wing military dictatorship to potentially take over.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karl Barks posted:

:same:

But as Westerners, I think our primary role should be shutting the gently caress up and being wary of our right-wing governments' support for "change" in Iran.

We can't tell Iranians how to shape their country. What we CAN do is, firstly, condemn Western sanctions on Iran, and, secondly, ensure our governments don't mettle in Iran.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is like saying boy shucks i hope the tzar can stabilize things, wouldn't want a right wing military dictatorship to potentially take over.

otoh protesting against your repressive right wing govt is not an invitation to the us to kill ur children with drones

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Al! posted:

otoh protesting against your repressive right wing govt is not an invitation to the us to kill ur children with drones

i mean cops are basically drones

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think most of the people in this thread who are cynical about the protests are mostly coming from the stand point of not wanting the US to get involved, which they almost certainly are.

to your prior post, the iranian economy is definitely not right wing in the sense that it's not market based. it's majority public sector and there is a large amount of central planning.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i mean it's hard to talk about the repression in Iran without pointing out it's a direct result of british and american meddling

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

i mean it's hard to talk about the repression in Iran without pointing out it's a direct result of british and american meddling
Actually, it's super easy. We do it all the time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I think anybody with half a brain already is well aware that the Iranian regime is really bad and horrible. I absolutely hate them for what they've done in the middle east especially what they did in Syria, but I'm not going to dive head-first into wishful thinking and swallow the obvious disinformation campaign, the Idea that what america has in store for them isnt even worse and will absolutely be even more repressive and murderous (see:- Egypt) are kidding themselves, and the amount of disinformation and coverage their getting compared to arab activists who go against americas allies in the region is hilarious to see.

What I hope is that through these protests (if they develop and keep going) can knock some sense into the regime and start making a peaceful landing, they've already conquered four arab capitals and they've gotten as far as they could, it's time for them cash their chips in and start making meaningful changes and not make the same mistakes and dive headfirst into bloodshed the way other arab countries did. (and they had plenty a hand in, might I add). They already have mass participation in election, they already have parliamentary politics, they already have much of the things needed to make that soft landing and transition possible, I just hope the ayatollahs and the military establishment of the regime start allowing their people more say in their day to day.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jan 3, 2018

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al-Saqr posted:

I think anybody with half a brain already is well aware that the Iranian regime is really bad and horrible. I absolutely hate them for what they've done in the middle east especially what they did in Syria, but the Idea that what america has in store for them isnt even worse and will absolutely be even more repressive and murderous (see:- Egypt) are kidding themselves, and the amount of disinformation and coverage their getting compared to arab activists who go against americas allies in the region is hilarious to see.

What I hope is that through these protests (if they develop and keep going) can knock some sense into the regime and start making a peaceful landing, they've already conquered four arab capitals and they've gotten as far as they could, it's time for them cash their chips in and start making meaningful changes and not make the same mistakes and dive headfirst into bloodshed the way other arab countries did. (and they had plenty a hand in, might I add).

Yes, but also the current situation is the making of both the government AND Western sanctions.

We all know Iran needs to do a whole lot better, BUT the West is also at fault for the economic instability.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Frijolero posted:

Yes, but also the current situation is the making of both the government AND Western sanctions.

We all know Iran needs to do a whole lot better, BUT the West is also at fault for the economic instability.

yeah obviously, the only reason why the corpse of egypt is still propped up is because america and it's allies are pumping insane amounts of money into the police state of that country, and the gulf countries have basically all the money in the world to delete their societies and buy off their population. it's a mixture of problems for sure.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Karl Barks posted:

crazy no matter how directly a regime is smashing heads it’s always the west’s fault

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

crazy no matter how directly a regime is smashing heads it’s always the west’s fault

well there's never really been any reckoning for what we did soooo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Karl Barks posted:

well there's never really been any reckoning for what we did soooo

if you want to pay for your sins as a westerner you can try :votegop:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DrewNutter/status/948253661716652032

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bellingcat says you can clearly see US-manufactured equipment being used in this battle

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iranian government... bad.... American imperialism... also bad... *strains brain to maximum capacity to attempt to process the sheer breadth and complexity of these ideas* Sauds...bad...too? *brain explodes*

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think you'll find that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is undergoing positive reforms.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hot take, comin' through

https://twitter.com/lawfareblog/status/948597473710362624

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

those weapons would end up with ISIS somehow

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's speculated that a lot of protesters back Ajmadinnerjacket. So I don't know what arming them would accomplish.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of, didn't he get barred from running for a third term back in april?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hello. I am sent to receive American freedom weapons.

My name? uh - Moderati Iranianandar

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

RandomPauI posted:

It's speculated that a lot of protesters back Ajmadinnerjacket. So I don't know what arming them would accomplish.

they started in pro-ahmedinijad areas but they seem to be much broader now

also any talk of american intervention, hypothetical or :tinfoil: current is pretty ridiculous considering the state department can barely coordinate tillerson's dinner plans let alone an armed uprising in a country of 80 million people halfway around the world

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fallen Hamprince posted:

also any talk of american intervention, hypothetical or :tinfoil: current is pretty ridiculous considering the state department can barely coordinate tillerson's dinner plans let alone an armed uprising in a country of 80 million people halfway around the world

but the supreme leader said so

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

no one said it was the state department, why would it be state and not defense or intel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it doesn't have to be an armed uprising they just have to kill people, because pure spite is the sole motivator. Read the article.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine the protests resulting in Ahmadinejad coming to power :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frijolero posted:

Imagine the protests resulting in Ahmadinejad coming to power :laffo:

Ahmadinejad rallied a lot of people before he was DQ'd from the presidential election by attacking Rouhani and the system from the economic left. I don't think this thread could handle it. I'm still expecting him to be the fall guy though. He'll probably end up on house arrest.

• Locked thread