Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there's too many game rules to deal with sometimes, like they need subcategories to keep them in line rather than scrolling through the whole list every time. And I wish I could keep sunset invasion off by default.

You can save/load your favorite combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wiegieman posted:

Can you so this without banishing or getting a bunch of tyranny penalties?

Standard "ask to leave court" 5 prestige hit and the disappointed opinion malus. The only people that seem to get a vote are 50+ year old people in your court, none of my elder vassals or such got a vote, and random 50+ year old people I invited for commanders and such suddenly did get a vote, so really Eldership just seems to require regular court grooming.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tercio posted:

On the subject of this, can anybody explain the difference between the exclave independence options of limited, limited (naval), significant, harsh and total?

Limited: You must be able to draw a line of provinces you control between your capital and any other location in order to keep it. You can draw through any number of sea zones, and you can skip over single counties controlled by someone else. If the land is part of your primary De Jure, you get to keep it regardless.
Limited(Naval): As Limited, but you can only draw through 1000 distance of sea zones.
Significant: As Limited, but you cannot skip over any counties overland.
Harsh: As Limited(Naval), but you cannot skip over any counties overland.
Total: As Harsh, but you don't get any special exceptions for your primary De Jure.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was how the old crusade system worked too, although I suppose giving Christianity more of a fighting chance might extend things. Maybe they should've made some kind of system for giving up on the crusade and returning home in shame, like many real crusaders did.
I think the difference is that now the warscore from occupation caps out at 100%? At least, what ended up happening was that the crusaders occupied large, large parts of Jerusalem, well past 100% on occupation, but because they had negative warscore from battles the total score was hovering in the 50-75% range. The muslims would push them mostly out, dropping the total warscore negative, and then they'd send in more men and occupy past 100% again, but it didn't accomplish anything due to the battle score. It's an obvious cause; since the locals can stack more troops without getting attrition, they have an inherent advantage in fighting battles.

At least, I think in the past you could have negative warscore from battles and still get to 100% total...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

anyone else getting a whole kingdom of invisible men?

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Hihohe posted:

anyone else getting a whole kingdom of invisible men?

Zooming in and out a couple of times fixed it for me.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

Limited(Naval): As Limited, but you can only draw through 1000 distance of sea zones.

And this means?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I don't think enatic-cognatic eldership is working right. If you start as Daura in central africa the chieftess has a bloodline that enables it. While it states that "men can inherit, but only if there are no eligible females" the elders are still nominating males all the time despite there being several adult age eligible females. They don't prefer the males at least, but they shouldn't be able to nominate them at all if I'm understanding it right. Maybe I need to get my tolerance up like the guy who was posting about getting meritocracy to work in a reformed religion?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Tercio posted:

And this means?

Distance units are the way the game calculates distance in the game. I suck at eyeballing it, but if you select a county and mouse over another county it will tell you how far away it is. Use that to estimate 1000 units

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't think enatic-cognatic eldership is working right. If you start as Daura in central africa the chieftess has a bloodline that enables it. While it states that "men can inherit, but only if there are no eligible females" the elders are still nominating males all the time despite there being several adult age eligible females. They don't prefer the males at least, but they shouldn't be able to nominate them at all if I'm understanding it right. Maybe I need to get my tolerance up like the guy who was posting about getting meritocracy to work in a reformed religion?

Nah, I had the same problem in reverse. My daughters were being picked by elders despite having valid sons as Mali, which is under Ag-Cog

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tercio posted:

And this means?

The mod they ripped off had intelligible options like 1 sea zone or 2 sea zones, so they obviously couldn't do that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, I had the same problem in reverse. My daughters were being picked by elders despite having valid sons as Mali, which is under Ag-Cog

this is just because the elders are cranky and are picking (in their perspective) the worst heirs possible to gently caress with you

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

luxury handset posted:

this is just because the elders are cranky and are picking (in their perspective) the worst heirs possible to gently caress with you

Oh no. My left handed brilliant strategist daughter has been elected over my literal lunatic son. Stop. Murder. Police.

I've given up trying to keep the bastards happy, and will just vote for my least favorite candidate and let them pick among the rest

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kaza42 posted:

I haven't tried the new eldership rules, but in previous versions under elective succession, there really wasn't a functional difference between agnatic-cognatic and full cognatic except for the small opinion malus for female heirs or rulers under the former. Presumably enatic-cognatic works similarly.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

big dyke energy posted:

Can you still get demon child events if you have Satan worshippers off? I've only had it happen when I was playing with devil worshippers, but I usually turn em off so I don't end up with a huge court of insane possessed maniacs.

Yes, demon children can come from the Sons of Abraham random event as well as from the Satanist society head's power. I think there are some slight differences in what happens depending on which way they come from but IDK for sure.

Nut to Butt posted:

The mod they ripped off had intelligible options like 1 sea zone or 2 sea zones, so they obviously couldn't do that.

Some sea zones are bigger than others (in the Med especially) so that wouldn't have been entirely fair.

1000 distance is a LOT, though, it's around the distance from Barcelona to Cyprus.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

ninjahedgehog posted:

I haven't tried the new eldership rules, but in previous versions under elective succession, there really wasn't a functional difference between agnatic-cognatic and full cognatic except for the small opinion malus for female heirs or rulers under the former. Presumably enatic-cognatic works similarly.

That particular bloodline is weird because other hausa don't get the female ruler penalty but other cultures do. It also gives +5 hausa opinion and +5 personal combat so wiping out everyone who is not hausa is the order of the day. On top of that, it is only passed down by females, which is why I would even care about a male being nominated. My solution was to reform and use either the totem guardians trait that includes monasticism to easily get people out of the line of succession or divine blood so even if a male is nominated they're still having kids with someone who will pass it down.

I think I'm going to start a new game though because I usually play with double strength rebellions and after this patch europe has absolutely exploded into a patchwork of heretic revolts which while cool, makes me think they tweaked revolts somewhat. I know one province I picked up had like 30% revolt modifiers on it and was spawning stacks of rebels non stop until it went away.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fun fact: If you are a female ruler and seduce a king and he recognizes the bastard son that results from it, you can legitimize the boy yourself and he will convert to your dynasty. He will then also be considered in that kings normal line of succession...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I dig the new portraits. No longer is the world being run by mutant frog men.

I think I beat my personal record on being a monster. My quick daughter was set to inherit, until I had my first son who was an imbecile. I threw him into the Oubliette before his 1st birthday. When he was 15 I got cancer, and somehow he was still trucking down there.

So I fed him to bears.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

When Dilek inherited the throne, she was 20 years old, had 6 martial, and was already depressed about her eating habits. Thankfully, warrior lodges don't care about martial, and I actually managed to win the initiation duel by hitting the other guy in the head hard enough to give him a concussion, while receiving a black eye myself. And then Dilek tried to go on a diet, failed, got the Fat trait and became a drunkard. Oh, and she's still depressed about everything, never once managing to cheer up since she inherited.

This hasn't slowed her down at all. One of the other Forest Walkers teased her about her lustful nature, so Dilek punched her out. She's won every duel after her first without being injured (the scar is from the black eye injury). She's sacrificed five people so far to The One Who Came Before. In fact, she recently had an event where her personal guards got slaughtered, so she charged for the enemy commander, defeated him easily, and then immediately sacrificed him before the battle was even over. Best of all, so far every combat event has described her beating the poo poo out of the enemy with a flail. She just earned her nickname "the Great Bear", and she's still depressed. She is just this large, drunk, incredibly sad woman crushing people with her flail like it's just her job.

This is the best DLC, by far. I don't think I've ever had a character as memorable as Dilek the Great Beat, Forest Walker and devotee to The One Who Came Before. And she doesn't even have good stats!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, I managed to forge one of the least impressive bloodlines imaginable. I angled in the events for stuff about a righteous family (?), spent a couple thousand prestige and got a bloodline that gives a trickle of prestige and piety, and +10 opinion from Just people.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Astus posted:

This is the best DLC, by far. I don't think I've ever had a character as memorable as Dilek the Great Beat, Forest Walker and devotee to The One Who Came Before. And she doesn't even have good stats!

Yeah there's some cool new traits too. Kind of disappointed I never got to play as the son who had both ugly and the new giant trait. A Hausa Andre the Giant. I also had a female ruler who got one of the new attractiveness traits and another boost to that when she came of age from a ceremony. She also had over 30 martial and a huge personal combat score with the cruel trait. So someone would try to seduce her, she'd shoot them down, they'd challenge her to a duel and then she'd kill them or take their hand, literally.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Dragons can have the name Drdrake

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I played around for a bit and ended up with a warrior dragon high chieftainess who was an unmitigated badass. She was in her late fifties but had a personal combat skill of 101.

She killed the commander of the enemy center in a huge battle, then her pet cat was killed by archers, so she killed the commander of their left flank, that was ludicrous enough that the battle went from being outnumbered to the enemy suffering over 60% casualties. She also had a combination of traits giving her army +30% movement rate. With such a high personal combat battles tended to result in some ludicrous proportion of enemy commanders being captured for sacrifice, which then boosted personal combat and army moral even higher.

Combine with other traits from being in warrior society and it was both great fun and made going War focus then leading from the front actually a good decision. I got special 'powers' allowing me to avoid maiming injuries, tons of prestige, could train my commanders so that they all had good traits and high skills, etc. Also the idea of sub Saharan matrilineal dragon tribes is a lot of fun.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Patrat posted:

Also the idea of sub Saharan matrilineal dragon tribes is a lot of fun.

i know what i'm doing next

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there's too many game rules to deal with sometimes, like they need subcategories to keep them in line rather than scrolling through the whole list every time. And I wish I could keep sunset invasion off by default.

How long after a major DLC does it normally take for them to release balance patches to tweak all the outliers that they didn't forsee?

You can make and save rulesets. So when you start a game its as easy as clicking the 'load ruleset button' and selecting the slot you want.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I like being able to save rulesets, but I'd love to rename them, even if it was just like max 8 characters due to the graphics. Or let me add a description in the tool tip. If I leave the game for a while, I always wonder "why did I save rules this way again?" I have two default ones for my search (unmarried women and dudes willing to join court), but other two are a mystery to me every time.

Edit: Game rules for me are generally "as much random as possible" so I really only use 1 set, but the same idea applies there. It'd be nice to know what exactly Rules 2 is supposed to be doing instead of havlving to read the selected options to figure out.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 14, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think it just dawned on me how messy keeping bloodlines is gonna be. I'm playing Matilda of Tuscany and I've created one bloodline through the ambition and another through an event which forges a lineage to Alexander the Great, the latter of which cost a pile of gold and prestige but gives an invasion CB once per lifetime with no requirements and only costs 500 prestige. Buuuut since the character that forged those bloodlines is a woman they can't get passed by men unless they're in a matrilinial marriage. Looking at my descendants confirms it too: my grandchildren through my daughters have the bloodlines but the ones through my sons don't. My heir is a dude and already has several kids so I guess I better make that invasion count with him and Matilda. Might be able to get it back later through incest shenanigans and in the long term I could make it my mission to get absolute cognatic.

Edit: gently caress, my heir just got murdered and his son is now my heir and doesn't have any bloodlines. So as it stands, the only person who is going to benefit from the bloodline in the foreseeable future is the founder of the bloodline.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 14, 2018

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

It’d be cool if this game could stop owning so much, I’ve got a bunch more research summaries to write

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

My wife pointed out to me all I did while playing yesterday is mutter under my breath "gently caress this dude", "gently caress you", "gently caress off", and "who the gently caress are you". Most of thst was probably in response to plots, people asking for land off, and elders slandering me. Still a great game after all these hours if i still do that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So with the Warrior Lodge or THE WOLF WARRIORS as it's called for vikings, when i filled up the legend bar we went on a LEGENDARY JOURNEY to the Byzantine Empire, but ops everyone died on the way lol including my ruler and it said that the legend bar was disabled. Can it get enabled again and give me the chance to go on another legendary journey or was that a one time thing?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Came home to a dead pc, this is the worst timing :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a reformed religion and I'm African Pope, but I can't GHW because "the age of pagan great holy wars has not begun." Is there a specific date they unlock, or can it be forced in some way?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Haven't played with new patch yet but I read the dev diary and the new Byzantine succession system sounds awesome.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dallan Invictus posted:

Some sea zones are bigger than others (in the Med especially) so that wouldn't have been entirely fair.

1000 distance is a LOT, though, it's around the distance from Barcelona to Cyprus.

Life isn't fair! As I was just reminded when looting a county in a war didn't fulfill my Wolf Warrior looting quest. :mad: (You must raid, instead.)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My Hindu emperor just starved himself to death from religious fervor, leaving his 11 year old son on the throne. This son let the court physician, a blind mystic, tutor himself into a mastermind theologian who is shrewd but slothful.

I guess I'll leave conquering the rest of India to his heirs, unless he manages to surprise me. I found him a intrigue heavy wife who vaguely dislikes him, let's see where this goes.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Sydin posted:

I have a reformed religion and I'm African Pope, but I can't GHW because "the age of pagan great holy wars has not begun." Is there a specific date they unlock, or can it be forced in some way?

You can force crusades by conquering certain Christian or Muslim territories, in Africa I believe Tunisia is a Muslim jihad trigger.

edit: it also triggers for pagans several years after it triggers for christians/muslims so you'll have to weather a jihad first.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 14, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Started a game with Lambert Guideschi, Duke of Spoleto in the 867 start. The inevitable Karling clusterfuck has progressed in stages:

1) Kingdoms of Italy and Lotharingen went to war, resulting in Lambert becoming a vassal of the King of Lotharingen
2) King of Lotharingen blobbed like crazy and became King of Bavaria and Burgundy as well
3) Lambert died and his son Gregorio took over. Gregorio had weak claims on Italy, Lotharingen and Burgundy
4) The King of Lotharingen and Burgundy became a lunatic and lost Bavaria
5) I set up a faction for Gregorio to grab Lotharingen, and succeeded in the war. The King of formerly Lotharingen and currently Burgundy was captured in battle, which I didn't realize until three years after the war concluded, at which point I ransomed him away.
6) That guy inevitably dies and the new King of Burgundy is five years old. A revolt in Burgundy to place Gregorio on the throne erupts, and we join in and handily trounce the five year old, and grab that title as well
7) Gregorio is now King of Burgundy and Lotharingen. He also beats cancer twice: once at the age of 45 when he goes on a pilgrimage and is miraculously cured; second time at the age of 51 when the court physician chops his leg off. Ends up dying of chest pains at the age of 57. Gregorio had actually been a member of the Hermetic Society but his laboratory was sabotaged, so I threw my hands up and joined the Benedictine Order, which definitely worked out.
8) So Gregorio dies at 57 and as a double king with two sons. One son gets the kingdoms and the other son gets two duchies (gavelkind :argh:). Paolo, Gregorio's eldest son, takes over.
9) The King of Italy is a seven year old Waldensian heretic. Paolo starts gobbling up Italy in holy wars and repeatedly loses spouses to ill health (no really), has no heir, brother with the duchies might inherit in the end? The dynasty's just really narrow because there aren't any branches to it. If Paolo's brother croaks without male children, we're in trouble.

I think the grand design I have for this run is next to get the Empire of Italia going, then aim for recreating the Roman Empire and ultimately resurrect Hellenism.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 14, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TaurusTorus posted:

You can force crusades by conquering certain Christian or Muslim territories, in Africa I believe Tunisia is a Muslim jihad trigger.

Thanks, I'll start throwing my weight around in Northern Africa then.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
drat, I used my Alexander CB to invade the Byzantines since I'm strong enough and gently caress it this might be the only use of it I'll get. Matilda then died and a few months later the war ended inconclusively despite me winning. Meanwhile, looking at my other dynasty members I'm pretty sure the bloodline is gonna go completely extinct in a generation and there's nothing I can do about it.

Still, Matilda had a drat good run: formed the empire of Italia, became independent of the HRE, and vassalized the pope all in one 45 year reign. Now I'm playing as her 10 year old grandson and since he's male hopefully I can forge a bloodline that'll actually stick this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Elective Monarchy seems to be bugged, and it's driving me crazy.

I am king of Italy. My firstborn is Duke of Apulia (independent), and my other son is duke of Ferrara (my vassal). Neither is available to be nominated as heir. It's Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, I can only nominate my cousin (also a duke under me), all other dukes (except my son above) and 2 unlanded cousin women.