Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

Oh yes all those people who weren't going to vote but went out to vote for Biden because he said so, such as <data missing>.

Small words are the only thing iI ever been capable of speaking with, though?

we have come so quickly to the part of this program where the liberals reassure themselves that it's okay not to attempt to do good, because they were probably impotent anyway.

god, i hate reruns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Fair point.

If it comes down to "more of the same" and "more of the same, but a Democrat", I choose neither one.

Again, choosing neither one gets you the worst of the two options.

I'm trying to implore people that there can be great work done with down ballot candidates, holding our own parties elected officials accountable, philanthropic, non-profit work, activism ALL of these things can be done if you want to let the establishment really know how you want change! I'm right there with you on the front lines.

However, a 2nd Trump term would probably mean the end of the ability to do any of those things, poo poo, he just fired two IG's in the last two days! The quick erosion leading to the end of the republic is extremely on the table here, and i'm not trying to "sky is falling" here, I'm telling you from someone that works IN government how dysfunctional we have become. Every. Single.One. of your civil liberties is at stake here and i'm not hyperbolizing at all....

To be clear: the intent of what people are trying to do here is noble and I completely get it, but the RESULT of that gesture will be completely and diametrically opposed to exactly what the gesture stands for in the first place.

It stings for me too, I'm a huge bernie guy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

“It comes to your desk. Do you veto it?” O’Donnell asked.

“I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of health care being available now,” the former vice president responded. “If they got that through by some miracle and there was an epiphany that occurred and some miracle occurred that said okay, it’s passed, then you gotta look at the cost.”

he told you to your face he would veto it.
he told you to your face you needed to die to preserve his power.
your fantasy version of him is nice. he will not come into being.

The next time someone says anything about the cost, I just want to grab them and scream "2 TRILLION DOLLARS" over and over.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

RevolverDivider posted:

Can’t wait for people screaming for accelerationism unironically for months

Honestly just hoping the EU will claim the eastern seaboard out of pity

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

mcmagic posted:

I have a hard time getting worked up over this since it's never going to get to his desk in a world where the democratic party is led by Joe Biden.

People usually point to M4A as The Thing Biden would gently caress over, but he's got a wonderfully terrible track record on just about everything. He'd also veto student loan forgiveness, universal basic income, prison reform, nationalization of public utilities that aren't already national, etc., etc.. You're right, though -- in an election with less enthusiasm than even 2016, the senate isn't going to flip, so it honestly doesn't matter what the House does, it'll be 4 years of Biden (or his immediate successor, as he implied would be the case) doing literally nothing as the republicans strangled the life out the country so they could loot its fillings or whatever is left at that point.

e: it's not "nothing matters" so much as -- the focus on this is damage control. The local elections can be swung to something great, but if you're building up your hopes for a 2020 sweep, I honestly suggest getting a hotline on speed dial cuz I imagine it'll feel like 2016 did.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Arist posted:

I'm not and was never just not going to vote. But at this point I strongly doubt I will bother filling in the presidential candidate.

Same but gonna write Bernie in because I think he is the best person for the job and at this point I just gotta vote for my conscience over Rapist #1 or #2

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think it is obvious that voting isn’t going to work and doesn’t matter anymore. The question is are enough people willing to put their money where their mouths are to fight to protect their freedom? You know that the other side will to take it away.

My gut tells me no. They will all willingly lay down like the sheep they are.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

“It comes to your desk. Do you veto it?” O’Donnell asked.

“I would veto anything that delays providing the security and the certainty of health care being available now,” the former vice president responded. “If they got that through by some miracle and there was an epiphany that occurred and some miracle occurred that said okay, it’s passed, then you gotta look at the cost.”

he told you to your face he would veto it.

"If they got that through by some miracle, there was an epiphany that occurred, and some miracle occurred that said okay, it passed, then you got to look at the costs. I want to know, how do they find the $35 trillion? What is that doing? Is it going to significantly raise taxes on the middle class, which it will. What’s going to happen?"

A word salad that means that if it actually came to his desk, he isn't going to automatically veto it.

quote:

he told you to your face you needed to die to preserve his power.
your fantasy version of him is nice. he will not come into being.

Me what? You're saying "you", do you think I'm from Wisconsin and voted for Biden? I think that you have a fantasy version of me that isn't real.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Yuzenn posted:

I'm trying to implore people that there can be great work done with down ballot candidates, holding our own parties elected officials accountable, philanthropic, non-profit work, activism ALL of these things can be done if you want to let the establishment really know how you want change! I'm right there with you on the front lines.

However, a 2nd Trump term would probably mean the end of the ability to do any of those things, poo poo, he just fired two IG's in the last two days! The quick erosion leading to the end of the republic is extremely on the table here, and i'm not trying to "sky is falling" here, I'm telling you from someone that works IN government how dysfunctional we have become. Every. Single.One. of your civil liberties is at stake here and i'm not hyperbolizing at all....

To be clear: the intent of what people are trying to do here is noble and I completely get it, but the RESULT of that gesture will be completely and diametrically opposed to exactly what the gesture stands for in the first place.

The establishment doesn't give a poo poo about what you want. They have proven that 1000 times yet people still think they can be changed

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Djarum posted:

I think it is obvious that voting isn’t going to work and doesn’t matter anymore. The question is are enough people willing to put their money where their mouths are to fight to protect their freedom? You know that the other side will to take it away.

My gut tells me no. They will all willingly lay down like the sheep they are.

Most people are still too comfortable. Lots of people are still working from home
Of those that can't some (depending on the state apparently) are getting their UI. Others holding onto the hope they'll get it.

The poor people, most vulnerable to die are still going to their "essential" jobs, most without hazard pay at all and getting sick and now starting to die off and the response from people at the top has been "how can we replace the dying workers fast enough?"

No one is gonna do poo poo lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If it comes down to "more of the same" and "more of the same, but a Democrat", I choose neither one.

No, you're choosing not to influence which outcome you have to live with.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

we have come so quickly to the part of this program where the liberals reassure themselves that it's okay not to attempt to do good, because they were probably impotent anyway.

god, i hate reruns.

Oh you're doing that thing where you project yourself as an unquestionable avatar of leftism. Here's my Ohio ballot I filled out today.

Get over yourself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If Trump wins because you write-in or otherwise don't vote America deserves to burn. Sorry it turned out this way but this is the system and letting Trump waltz in again mean you are saying gently caress everyone else and gently caress the world.

I mean, it's the most American thing ever to not care about anyone else so it makes sense either side does it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Herewaard posted:

The establishment doesn't give a poo poo about what you want. They have proven that 1000 times yet people still think they can be changed

If we are willing to just do nothing that they've all but won. I come from a protest family, and I do protest work every day.

It can and will be done, it just isn't easy. It WON'T be done if we get more of Trump, i'll tell you that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yuzenn posted:

No, I agree. I definitely will be helping downballot races, and I'm very aware of how much is at stake. The fact that we're in this Kobayashi Maru at all is a disgrace that I place squarely at the DNC's feet. I just can't stomach a vote for Biden, who sucks in every conceivable way.

However, the points made about competent fascists are well taken. Fortunately, I don't think the alt-reich is nearly as strong as they were on August 12th.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mcmagic posted:

A moronic and insulting post. It would've been great if Abrams won that governors race and endorsing her against Kemp was a no brainier. She also is a conservative who boosted charters and has been an enemy of unions and also doesn't support M4A.

:ssh: the Our Rev endorsement was for the primary, against Evans(who was the favorite of Zaid, Fang, and the other members of The Intercept's :chloe: bloc, so not someone particularly centrist).

Xombie posted:

"If they got that through by some miracle, there was an epiphany that occurred, and some miracle occurred that said okay, it passed, then you got to look at the costs. I want to know, how do they find the $35 trillion? What is that doing? Is it going to significantly raise taxes on the middle class, which it will. What’s going to happen?"
It's worth noting, as Biden lays out the criteria for an M4A bill he'd be willing to sign, that there is an existing proposal from a sitting Dem senator fulfilling these criteria.

It's baffling that for all of Biden's many faults, some people still feel the need to create new, fictional flaws for him.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's fun knowing that your individual vote won't matter but still getting worked up about it anyway.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Honestly just hoping the EU will claim the eastern seaboard out of pity

Ive got some bad news for you about the EUs competence and willingness to help others in a crisis, or even help its own member states.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

If Trump wins because you write-in or otherwise don't vote America deserves to burn. Sorry it turned out this way but this is the system and letting Trump waltz in again mean you are saying gently caress everyone else and gently caress the world.

I mean, it's the most American thing ever to not care about anyone else so it makes sense either side does it.

I care about other people, which is why I will not be voting for any rapists on my ballot.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Yuzenn posted:

The fact that you could even think that is an indictment that they've all but won. I come from a protest family, and I do protest work every day.

It can and will be done, it just isn't easy. It WON'T be done if we get more of Trump, i'll tell you that.

No, the establishment must be destroyed. You are not going to change the behavior of schumer and pelosi and tanden et al. They need to be expelled and ostracized from all political processes

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Paracaidas posted:

It's baffling that for all of Biden's many faults, some people still feel the need to create new, fictional flaws for him.

I think this is mostly because Biden-of-the-primary has been incredibly inconsistent about what he's pushing for (since, you know, he isn't pushing for anything), and so has come down on both sides of many issues. All we can really do is look at his past record, which in shorthand, is a blower.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

No, I agree. I definitely will be helping downballot races, and I'm very aware of how much is at stake. The fact that we're in this Kobayashi Maru at all is a disgrace that I place squarely at the DNC's feet. I just can't stomach a vote for Biden, who sucks in every conceivable way.

However, the points made about competent fascists are well taken. Fortunately, I don't think the alt-reich is nearly as strong as they were on August 12th.

This hurts my soul with every fiber of my being, and I worked for Obama's campaign twice!

I feel for you and agree with you and everyone like us that feels this way. There's work to be done and there is never a better time than ever to fight.

Herewaard posted:

No, the establishment must be destroyed. You are not going to change the behavior of schumer and pelosi and tanden et al. They need to be expelled and ostracized from all political processes

You have no argument from me there and i'm ALL for it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hell yeah. This is our fight for the rest of our lives. This is real leadership and I'm so glad she's in Congress. There's hope folks, but it's a slow, long hope.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kind of an incel attitude to blame the people you're trying to attract for not being attracted to you.

Like the job of a candidate is to appeal to people who might vote for them, not simply occupy a space and expect to attract all the votes you feel you are owed. Or even try to make people feel enough fear that they do what you want.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Srice posted:

I care about other people, which is why I will not be voting for any rapists on my ballot.

You don't care about other people if you willingly allow Trump to control who runs the EPA. Even from a "downballot" position the tools that the EPA developed provide significant support to regional improvements.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm glad she hasn't let setbacks and the no-doubt constant attacks from the right and center-right wear down her drive and optimism. We need more people like her to get through this and beyond.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Tibalt posted:

It's fun knowing that your individual vote won't matter but still getting worked up about it anyway.

Yeah, I've hashed this out before but the obsession over Bernie or Busters is strange. I understand it in this thread, but 90% of the election is going to come down to how many people feel like dragging themselves to the polls for loving Joe Biden when they're tired and hopeless that anything will really change. Telling somebody on minimum wage that Biden might theoretically pick up a strategic federal court seat isn't much of a talking point.

Personally I'm worried because Biden's bringing nothing to the table except a vote against Trump. We'll see if that's enough, and if it comes in in the right places for it to count.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Herewaard posted:

Yeah, seriously.

Just imagine, folks, that you're a member of the oppressive elite class. Trump's presidency looks bad but you've got a bunch of tax cuts and you're doing fine. You're worried about losing those cuts and control in general. What would you do? The logical choice is "run a Dem candidate that's basically a republican who will keep all of your interests in control."

Just lol that people say "if you don't vote for anyone you're voting for trump." gently caress off. Biden is basically a republican which is not much different than trump.

I've literally seen no positive reasons to vote for Biden, just negative "don't vote for trump" reasons. Guess who that attitude helps? Rich people in power. gently caress them. gently caress those people. gently caress our system if that's our only choice. Give me one reason to vote for Biden that is "because Biden is a good candidate."

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kind of an incel attitude to blame the people you're trying to attract for not being attracted to you.

I really like this framing. :v:

Ultimately, the DNC is at fault, but it is up to all of us to be the ones who do something about it. The privilege of power is being able to avoid consequences for your own poo poo because you're isolated from its effects. Turns out oligarchy isn't really all that far from the old dynasties in that respect.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Telling somebody on minimum wage that Biden might theoretically pick up a strategic federal court seat isn't much of a talking point.

Give me a break!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I said this in the last thread but:

The shaming / blackmail / hostage-taking / extortion / protection-racket argument is not a good motivation for people who don't like Biden to actually get out and vote.

"Nice country you have there, shame if something were to happen to it." Guess you'd better pay the Democratic Party with your vote, they're the only thing standing between you and the evil Republicans.

Biden and the Dem establishment do not have a positive argument for why you should vote for them. Unless you're upper-middle class or a corporation.

It is utterly futile to try and guilt people into voting Biden.

"It's your fault Trump will get re-elected!" I wail, having nominated the shittiest possible Dem candidate who is also a senile rapist. "Why are you not more enthusiastic for Joseph Robinette "Good Feels" Biden?!"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Manager Hoyden posted:

Like the job of a candidate is to appeal to people who might vote for them, not simply occupy a space and expect to attract all the votes you feel you are owed. Or even try to make people feel enough fear that they do what you want.

It still sucks when people honestly do not know what is good for them at a systemic and/or individual level.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ershalim posted:

I think this is mostly because Biden-of-the-primary has been incredibly inconsistent about what he's pushing for (since, you know, he isn't pushing for anything), and so has come down on both sides of many issues. All we can really do is look at his past record, which in shorthand, is a blower.

Absolutely. Literally decades worth of lovely policies, actions, and rhetoric to choose from! No idea why some need to invent new outrages out of whole cloth. There's plenty there!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There Bias Two posted:

It still sucks when people honestly do not know what is good for them at a systemic and/or individual level.

I'm so much nicer than [OTHER MORE APPEALING CHOICE] but you're too stupid/too much of a bitch to realize it.

Hmm.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Went from "Never Forget" over a national tragedy and scores of American fatalities to "Must Forget" within 3 presidencies. Truly an impressive speed run.

Imagine if Trump was president during 9/11. "Yeah those first responders........something else eh....you know I wanted to be there at Ground Zero the day after but the secret service wouldn't let me...would you believe these guys...I said let's do it....but they said 'no SIR you can't go there yet it's not safe' and so I said alright......I've already done more for Manhattan anyway than Bill Clinton ever did for Oklahoma after they bombed it....some people say it was this American citizen Timothy McVeigh but I don't know could have been Al Qaeda or Saddam Hussein too.....sick people am I right....but anyway surely something we'd like to all forget about and put things to bed...you know by the way they said this used to be the tallest building in New York City...maybe it's one of my properties now who knows, I can't say but probably....ramblerambleramble......." :downswords:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Unfortunately the loudest Bernie people online are death cultists who take all of their rhetoric from Trumpism and act like they're the left vanguard. Fortunately the actual people doing the work, like Bernie Sanders, have unquestionably moved the Democratic Party left, without the help of a bunch of numbskulls who now claim that four more years of Trump is the moral stance.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

There Bias Two posted:

Wow. Wonderful wording there. Please let me know what is good for me. Can you be specific? (prediction: you can't)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Sean posted:

Yeah, seriously.

Just imagine, folks, that you're a member of the oppressive elite class. Trump's presidency looks bad but you've got a bunch of tax cuts and you're doing fine. You're worried about losing those cuts and control in general. What would you do? The logical choice is "run a Dem candidate that's basically a republican who will keep all of your interests in control."

Just lol that people say "if you don't vote for anyone you're voting for trump." gently caress off. Biden is basically a republican which is not much different than trump.

I've literally seen no positive reasons to vote for Biden, just negative "don't vote for trump" reasons. Guess who that attitude helps? Rich people in power. gently caress them. gently caress those people. gently caress our system if that's our only choice. Give me one reason to vote for Biden that is "because Biden is a good candidate."

Biden will keep the supreme court from being lost forever.

This is the only reason you should need. Full stop.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Sean posted:

Wow. Wonderful wording there. Please let me know what is good for me. Can you be specific?

Socialism, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Unfortunately the loudest Bernie people online are death cultists who take all of their rhetoric from Trumpism and act like they're the left vanguard. Fortunately the actual people doing the work, like Bernie Sanders, have unquestionably moved the Democratic Party left, without the help of a bunch of numbskulls who now claim that four more years of Trump is the moral stance.

A hundred times this. Thankfully we don't have idiot accelerationists doing the actual work.