Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Amarcarts posted:

lol they picked Sarah Palin to be vice president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tolkien minority posted:

legit question i'm a college student on my parents healthcare if obamacare is repealed am i hosed

You're fine until you graduate. Hope you picked a good major.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

new phone who dis posted:

You're fine until you graduate. Hope you picked a good major.

hahahahaha yeah no

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tolkien minority posted:

hahahahaha yeah no

Well, you might be hosed after, then.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Tolkien minority posted:

legit question i'm a college student on my parents healthcare if obamacare is repealed am i hosed

:rip:

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Tolkien minority posted:

hahahahaha yeah no

Congrats on grad school.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Moon Atari posted:

not to mention the fact that opponents to this side of politics tend to be completely immune to and fiercely sceptical of the very idea of 'evidence' and analysis in favour of wild conspiracy and gut feelings.

Look man. There is no evidence. There is such a lack of evidence in fact that we're going to need to go ahead and ban all looking for evidence that destroying Obamacare is bad.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Tolkien minority posted:

Better get those bootstraps nice and tight cause you're gonna be taken to pound town the moment you exit university

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JakeP posted:

It just forced people who couldn't afford insurance to have to buy insurance, but it barely subsidized the cost at all for most. I was pretty underemployed when it came out and was forced to get insurance through the marketplace, and had to pay out the rear end for it because I just wasn't poor enough. It was backbreaking.

which red state do you live in whose governor turned down the medicaid expansion

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
come to Sweden guys

we got all the things you got plus hotter women

the weather is poo poo though and there is NO ranch dressing (I understand this is important to Americans)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I don't make money, can I keep my Medicaid?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

drat I think I know how you americans feel, my students healh care has taken a rise from 168€ to 173€ per month. poo poo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is Sarah Palin going to be VP?! :confused:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

scuba school sucks posted:

You got any idea how "negotiating a salary increase" works in a right to work state, particularly in any kind of manual labor job? "If you don't want to do a day's work for a day's pay there's the door, ten thousand Mexicans and a million white guys will be happy to do the honest work you think you're too good for, either way shut the gently caress up and get out of my office". You go look at the laws regarding worker's rights in Florida, for example, it's literally just a picture of Rick Scott flipping you the bird with both hands.

It was sarcasm dude. He's trying to tell the conservative guy to do things the conservative way. Obviously it won't work, but that's the point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

life advice: don't get any preexisting conditions

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

bag em and tag em posted:

Look man. There is no evidence. There is such a lack of evidence in fact that we're going to need to go ahead and ban all looking for evidence that destroying Obamacare is bad.
If anyone doesn't get the joke, because it's worth spelling it out: the GOP is so sure that repealing Obamacare is a great idea that they've banned the CBO from counting the addition to the deficit that it will cause. It was previously estimated to cost $353 billion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kung Food posted:

Because gently caress your own best interests.

I still remember when the Affordable Care Act first went into effect. Someone complained that they lost their insurance, it turned out their insurance was replaced by a new insurance plan that cost $0 a month (they were paying $120 before) and it had better coverage for their health needs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

come to Sweden guys

the weather is poo poo though and there is NO ranch dressing (I understand this is important to Americans)

they could just come to canada to get all that, plus ranch dressing

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I was referring to the Sarah Palin pick in 08. We had just had 8 years of George W Bush. 2 wars on credit card, one of which was shown to be straight up based on lies. Tax cuts for the rich. A financial crash. Country music (Not the good kind). They had their chance to move to the center and bring the country together and save face, even if they lost, and they picked Sarah Palin. They doubled down on stupidity in their leadership and constituency and they've been fighting to decrease the IQ of the American public ever since.

They've basically burned a hatred for the republican party so deep into the dying American intellect that the only way to win for them is to steer the country down into the third world kleptocracy. Oh and lets kill the planet and screw future generations while we're at it because gently caress you got mine.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

EightBit posted:

As a software developer, and one of the last jobs that will be taken by robots, I promise to enjoy the end of human civilization a bit longer than you shmucks.

lol there's like a billion indians that will do your job for one fifth of the cost

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Knight posted:

If anyone doesn't get the joke, because it's worth spelling it out: the GOP is so sure that repealing Obamacare is a great idea that they've banned the CBO from counting the addition to the deficit that it will cause. It was previously estimated to cost $353 billion.

Pretty much everything the GOP has done concerning obamacare is the type of stuff that should make everyone angry regardless of their own political alignment. I know the democrats have contributed to the current political climate, I criticise them often; however what the GOP have pulled in relation to Obamacare has been straight up democracy breaking stuff. Politics works on precedents, there are things that have been established as permissible and things that are seen as prohibited with various degrees of formality. They broke every informal rule, flaunted many formal ones, and perverted every single procedure meant to help build a country in order to prevent the policy and disrupt government functioning, completely disabling a country when they couldn't get their way through above the board democratic processes.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

bag em and tag em posted:

To be fair, the free market WILL sort it out. The poor will die, and no longer need expensive medical care.

I have learned in my lifetime that nobody dies when they should. Fat people live into their 70s, smokers either die in their 50s or they dont die at all, homeless people can outlast anyone, people in war torn countries are still around after decades of nonstop bombings. Being poor doesn't to poo poo to kill anyone. If anything it just increases the number of poor people even faster.

Japan shows that the only way to kill people off effectively is with anime and technology. Somehow it works, not sure how.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

Pretty much everything the GOP has done concerning obamacare is the type of stuff that should make everyone angry regardless of their own political alignment. I know the democrats have contributed to the current political climate, I criticise them often; however what the GOP have pulled in relation to Obamacare has been straight up democracy breaking stuff. Politics works on precedents, there are things that have been established as permissible and things that are seen as prohibited with various degrees of formality. They broke every informal rule, flaunted many formal ones, and perverted every single procedure meant to help build a country in order to prevent the policy and disrupt government functioning, completely disabling a country when they couldn't get their way through above the board democratic processes.

Obstructionists don't follow the rules!? Lmao why are you surprised like at all did you really think they had any replacement for anything

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

Country music (Not the good kind)

there's a good kind of country music?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

Also SA is blocked on the school wifi so I have to use data to read all of your kind words. That's how much all of you mean to me.

Making me nostalgic for the Glory Days of configuring a proxy in the media centers computers

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I'm not surprised, I just think it was taken to a level that is deeply damaging to democracy and the political climate, in a way that will be lasting and very destructive, and that it is worth acknowledging how bad it is. I know people often say that nothing is new and it was always like this, but whenever I read up on political history it seems like there was far more of a commitment to basic political decency and playing fair, even when the decisions they were making involved more serious issues and the general civil rights situation was worse. Things that were incredibly scandalous back in the day are now common, most processes seem to have been abandoned, and everything is way less intellectual and far more vulgar. I'm not talking Trump, I'm talking the whole thing from the politicians to the press to the common person.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

I'm not surprised, I just think it was taken to a level that is deeply damaging to democracy and the political climate, in a way that will be lasting and very destructive, and that it is worth acknowledging how bad it is. I know people often say that nothing is new and it was always like this, but whenever I read up on political history it seems like there was far more of a commitment to basic political decency and playing fair, even when the decisions they were making involved more serious issues and the general civil rights situation was worse. Things that were incredibly scandalous back in the day are now common, most processes seem to have been abandoned, and everything is way less intellectual and far more vulgar. I'm not talking Trump, I'm talking the whole thing from the politicians to the press to the common person.

I don't know about this. It's obviously a huge topic, but I can think of plenty of awful poo poo in political history that makes me think we're dealing with more of the same.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Zzulu posted:

come to Sweden guys

Aren't you the rape capital of the world, or is that Switzerland?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Rutibex posted:

they could just come to canada to get all that, plus ranch dressing

touch'e

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Fog Tripper posted:

Aren't you the rape capital of the world, or is that Switzerland?

no thats us

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Tolkien minority posted:

hahahahaha yeah no

lol what did you pick

i picked video game making

and i also make stream overlays for cheap pleASE HIT ME UP

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Every discussion about Obamacare reinforces my belief that no one understands how it actually works. Everyone's experiences with it contradicts someone else's experience, which contradicts my experience, which contradicts another. I know that not everyone is lying, and that things are very different in every county or state or maybe not, I don't know. All I know is that my insurance options all suck rear end and got worse after Obamacare, and that nothing will ever be done to improve things; but at least they can't deny coverage for preexisting conditions.

Oh and needless to say, the media lies and the official documents are likely too confusing to understand without some kind of law degree, so it is near impossible to know what the drat thing actually does.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

The Skeleton King posted:

but at least they can't deny coverage for preexisting conditions.

This is the exact reason why costs sky rocketed the way they did.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Jesus Christ.

We're right back to "it's too complex to understand but I just know it's bad."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scuba school sucks posted:

You got any idea how "negotiating a salary increase" works in a right to work state, particularly in any kind of manual labor job? "If you don't want to do a day's work for a day's pay there's the door, ten thousand Mexicans and a million white guys will be happy to do the honest work you think you're too good for, either way shut the gently caress up and get out of my office". You go look at the laws regarding worker's rights in Florida, for example, it's literally just a picture of Rick Scott flipping you the bird with both hands.

k bruv I'm talking about a job that gives you health insurance as part of your compensation odds are we're not talking about a $24k/yr manual labor "not quite full time" job are we

and you know what even still i went from dishwasher to weekend rush line cook in under 1.5 years, min wage of $8/hr to $15/hr, just because I was constantly harping for advancement and did my job well and moved on when they were dragging their feet

plus a lotta people out there ready to replace you are morons and a decent employer knows that and isn't trying to get a buncha turnover, esp if they have to train the new people

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 10, 2017

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

k bruv I'm talking about a job that gives you health insurance odds are we're not talking about a $24k/yr manual labor job are we

and you know what even still i went from dishwasher to weekend rush line cook in under 2 years, min wage of $8/hr to $15/hr, just because I was constantly harping for advancement and did my job well

15/hrsetup is still chump change, get a real job.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tonetta posted:

15/hrsetup is still chump change, get a real job.

the gently caress makes you think i still do that fam

i'm just saying if you sit there complacent like 'woe is me' nothing good will ever happen for you bc if you're not looking out for you no one will whether you're making minimum wage or $100k/yr

e: in this situation if a year goes by and your compensation is reduced because your employer decided to get a shittier healthcare plan to save costs or whatever then you can either blame Obama for mandating employer coverage and be mad about it or do something about it

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 10, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Moridin920 posted:

the gently caress makes you think i still do that fam

You guys are family? drat what a small world

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just pay out of pocket you freeloading communists!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You guys are family? drat what a small world

Yeah they got gay married and moridin is the wife

They tied the knot dressed as Stormtroopers ( the Nazi kind not the children's movie kind but honestly I'm not sure which one is more shameful)

• Locked thread