Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
why can't they just leave the pedestrian crossing where it was and then put ramps in the street so the cars can jump over people walking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VikingSkull posted:

also imagine that you live in the Li'l Abner Mobile Home Park

fuckin :lol:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

OOPSIE WOOPSIE!! Uwu We made a fucky wucky!! A wittle fucko boingo! The CAD monkeys at our headquarters are working VERY HAWD to fix this!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

self proclaimed most advanced and best country in the world fails to construct one of humanity's oldest structures properly :bravo:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Sure but it shows how advanced our corruption technology is

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IronClaymore posted:

Hah! American infrastructure! I guess they read the specifications for the supports in Pascals and thought they were Pounds?

It's what happens when you're literally the only country in the entire world to not use SI measurements (the Metric system). Especially idiotic when you import all your stuff.

Because engineers don't make these sorts of mistakes. Statics is Old Science. Like 17th century crap. Building bridges with steel was old before mass produced steel was even a thing. Hundred to one it was a conversion issue because for some unexplained reason American engineers have to use an outdated measurement system, and someone somewhere forgot to do what should be a pointless conversion.

Also sorry if people died. But people also die because you all love guns and drive way too fast. So...sorry you're so idiotic. I wish we'd fought harder in 1776 to keep you for a little longer so you could mature better as a nation?

enjoy your islam lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I just found out this company offered to purchase two bridges in my hometown. The city commission was going to vote to sell a couple months ago but public outcry forced them to back off. The whole thing is sketchy af because the city manager, who is new and doesn't live in town, has been pushing the deal hard. She said the city has no choice even though they barely told residents or the state government about the problem. I guess she still supports the deal and is trying to calm everyone down with "wait til the investigation."

edit - the two bridges are lovely and the company was gonna repair one and build a replacement for the other and then put tolls up...for a town of 30,000 split in half by a river.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 17, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alpha Mayo posted:

OOPSIE WOOPSIE!! Uwu We made a fucky wucky!! A wittle fucko boingo! The CAD monkeys at our headquarters are working VERY HAWD to fix this!

Why is that walkway so wide?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Burt Sexual posted:

So that Americans will fit on it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Giggy posted:

edit - the two bridges are lovely and the company was gonna repair one and build a replacement for the other and then put tolls up...for a town of 30,000 split in half by a river.

lol

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Burt Sexual posted:

because it was a vanity project meant to increase the "prestige" of FIU and also probably make the people who got paid 14 million loving dollars to build a pedestrian bridge a poo poo ton of money

there's a pedestrian bridge for a university in my city that crosses a 6-lane highway. it was built in 1968 for $70,000, is wheelchair accessible, and only just needed refurbishment this past year (mostly to fix it's ugly peeling paint job, structurally it was fine)

modern america is insanely stupid

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Giggy posted:

I just found out this company offered to purchase two bridges in my hometown. The city commission was going to vote to sell a couple months ago but public outcry forced them to back off. The whole thing is sketchy af because the city manager, who is new and doesn't live in town, has been pushing the deal hard. She said the city has no choice even though they barely told residents or the state government about the problem. I guess she still supports the deal and is trying to calm everyone down with "wait til the investigation."

I want to buy a bridge too. Wtf

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

weg posted:

So that Americans will fit on it.

I’ll set em up, weg.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
so an engineer from the company that designed it called someone at the state and reported cracks, but the person only checked their voicemail tonight. LMAO

“Hey Tom, this is Denney Pate with FIGG bridge engineers. Calling to, uh, share with you some information about the FIU pedestrian bridge and some cracking that’s been observed on the north end of the span, the pylon end of that span we moved this weekend,”

“Um, so, uh, we’ve taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done but from a safety perspective we don’t see that there’s any issue there so we’re not concerned about it from that perspective although obviously the cracking is not good and something’s going to have to be, ya know, done to repair that.”

fuuuuuuuuuckkkkk

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

turn off the TV posted:

I'm guessing that they would want to keep traffic on arterial roads, so detours would probably have looked like this:

North to east is 8~ 5 minutes longer.

East to west is 6~ minutes longer.

East to north is 2~ minutes longer.

Looking at the grid around the bridge I don't understand why. The entire point of the grid and hierarchy that area uses is that motorists can choose to use a number of different arterial roads to get to their destinations. If they're doing a potentially dangerous step of construction then temporarily closing the road would be at most minorly inconvenient for drivers, especially since they could choose to do it during off peak traffic hours in the mid morning or mid afternoon.

do u understand anything about Miami? that 12 minute delay at whenever you were looking at it is like an hour from 8-10 am and 3-6 pm

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

let it mellow posted:

do u understand anything about Miami? that 12 minute delay at whenever you were looking at it is like an hour from 8-10 am and 3-6 pm

Worth killing people imo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

let it mellow posted:

this may come as a surprise, but there are actually 18 other hours

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

turn off the TV posted:

this may come as a surprise, but there are actually 18 other hours

yah but that road is a major work commute road

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
im sure going to work is a major surprise for u

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Burt Sexual posted:

Worth killing people imo

well honestly driving around Miami is a good reason to kill someone or get killed so

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

let it mellow posted:

yah but that road is a major work commute road

I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before. If the roads are busy with commuters from 8 AM to 10 AM, and then from 3 PM to 6 PM that only leaves 11 AM, 12 PM, 1 PM, 2 PM, 7 PM, 8 PM, 9 PM, 10 PM, 11 PM, 12 AM, 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM, 4 AM, 5 AM, 6 AM, or 7 AM as times to adjust the tension on the bridge.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

turn off the TV posted:

I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before. If the roads are busy with commuters from 8 AM to 10 AM, and then from 3 PM to 6 PM that only leaves 11 AM, 12 PM, 1 PM, 2 PM, 7 PM, 8 PM, 9 PM, 10 PM, 11 PM, 12 AM, 1 AM, 2 AM, 3 AM, 4 AM, 5 AM, 6 AM, or 7 AM as times to adjust the tension on the bridge.

oh yeah because u set up a detour for a couple hours

u drooling imbecile

and it only takes a couple hours to perform the tensioning procedure as described earlier by pro engineers itt

u obdurate moron

and of course the whole logistics of setting up a detour, rerouting traffic, managing inspections and whatever ancillary things like video documentation, new stuff, etc also fits in this magic one hour window

u idiot shitfucker

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

let it mellow posted:

u drooling imbecile

and it only takes a couple hours to perform the tensioning procedure as described earlier by pro engineers itt

u obdurate moron

and of course the whole logistics of setting up a detour, rerouting traffic, managing inspections and whatever ancillary things like video documentation, new stuff, etc also fits in this magic one hour window

u idiot shitfucker

Kill the pregnant lady driving to school!!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The bridge only had to stand until the next hurricane season, right?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Burt Sexual posted:

Kill the pregnant lady driving to school!!!

nah, im just pointing out the stupidity of that other dude, not defending the way this was done

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

let it mellow posted:

u drooling imbecile

u obdurate moron

u idiot shitfucker

It's actually pretty easy to set up a detour, you put up signs that say "road will be closed between x hours for construction, use marked detour routes" and then you block the intersection underneath the bridge. When you're done with the part that might make the bridge collapse you move the barriers and then you can take down the signs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hypothetically speaking, if the sanctity of the Floridian commute to work outweighs the Floridian desire not to be brutally crushed by concrete, they could do it on the weekend.

e: That raises an even more difficult prospect, though, of having to drive longer to get to McDonalds.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

im torn op. bridge possibly failed from a heavy load test which immediately makes me think about your mother but then i read it is a pedestrian bridge and i just dont know what to believe anymore

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
no one cares about the intricacies of florida traffic you stupid dumb fucks

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/974834804821807104

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

let it mellow posted:

u drooling imbecile

u obdurate moron

u idiot shitfucker

This happens regularly in many places though? Not uncommon at all for roads / exit ramps / bridges to be closed during the overnight hours for construction work to be done.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thanks to Russian spies for the footage.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Floridians would literally rather have a chance of dying than be inconvenienced by having to drive a detour. Also Miami is the road rage capital of the US. There is no logic down there when cars are involved.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

I'm the gigantic smoke ring in the sky

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tristesse posted:

Floridians would literally rather have a chance of dying than be inconvenienced by having to drive a detour. Also Miami is the road rage capital of the US. There is no logic down there when cars are involved.

500 years of Florida history please respect

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 17, 2018

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This happens regularly in many places though? Not uncommon at all for roads / exit ramps / bridges to be closed during the overnight hours for construction work to be done.

yah but major intersections usually avoid impacting real work traffic and I poo poo on the guy who didn’t understand wtf roads he was talking about plus bridge shutdowns don’t mean a single lane or ramp change with u turn

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

let it mellow posted:

nah, im just pointing out the stupidity of that other dude, not defending the way this was done

I know. I’m just pointing out killing Floridians due to their cheapness works well for the future.

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
I can't imagine how difficult it must be to work that scene and not be able to move the rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tagnik posted:

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to work that scene and not be able to move the rubble.

I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be for the people of miami trying to commute to work tomorrow. I hope they stay strong.

• Locked thread