Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Long as someone alerts me at some point about the videos so I can catch up, it’s fine by me.

You showed off all the unique camps I hoped you would. Expected, but still good. Looking forward to the next video that progresses the story.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
New video is up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You gonna provide a link or make us work for it?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do not, my friend, become addicted to links.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Is it really appropriate to be stealing Scruffy's thunder(poon) like that? :imunfunny:

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 19, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Here is a link to the video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eupFGlRjRWo

It's another good one, introduces one of the most colorful characters in the game (and I mean that literally). Also shows off a few good sidequests in Gastown and nearby. There are a couple details I'll mention he doesn't address, but otherwise it's good.

First, the Arkytect is not our last Top Dog fight in the game. There's one more at least, but not for a while.

Two, getting to night in the game for the two missions that can only take place at night is super annoying due to the fact that time only really advances while you're driving around and there's no real pattern to the game's clock. You just have to keep driving and wait for sunset. Fast travel does not help. I hated the game's time sensitive events because of this and was glad when I could finally get them.

Hope Scruffy is enjoying his vacation. Sorry if posting the above link and review upsets some fans.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know, one thing I'm kinda disappointed in is that in a franchise that's known for a variety of far-out and unique character designs, all of the Top Dogs are just reskins. Would have been cool if you got some actually unique miniboss encounters instead of just big man that can eat a bazillion shotgun blasts over and over again.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's been over a month since I put this game down for the last time and I can confirm that I still find the word "thunderpoon" to be hilarious.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I loved that initial conversation with the Outcrier--the frustrated interruptions and interactions with his gas bag (heh) were voiced and animated so well.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cerebral Bore posted:

You know, one thing I'm kinda disappointed in is that in a franchise that's known for a variety of far-out and unique character designs, all of the Top Dogs are just reskins. Would have been cool if you got some actually unique miniboss encounters instead of just big man that can eat a bazillion shotgun blasts over and over again.

This is probably what's annoyed me the most, even old school beat-em ups would toss a duo of palette swaps at you, a bigger slower and tougher boss, or a glass cannon fast boss to mix things up.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

I'm here to ragepost. It's not really a spoiler. But there's a bug that prevents you from getting 100% completion at this one camp in Pink Eye's territory. It's an oil pump camp with a gimmick of waves of enemies to kill before you can get through. But if you fail, even once, you don't ever get to go through the usual way!

I got two of the three oil pumps by shooting an explosive barrel from across the map over the fence, but one remains undestroyed. I'm trying to boost up high enough to get a thunderpoon into the third oil pump, which is furthest into the camp itself, meaning I'm going to have to somehow stick this boost perfectly or I'm just going to ragequit this whole game. 30 hours down the toilet, it feels like!

How long does one have to wait before a storm hits, anyway? Browsing the forums got me to a workaround where lightning just hits one of the pumps, but I've been attempting the jump for an hour and a half and no storm. Is there some other form of awful cheating I can do in order to finish this? This bug was apparently in the game for its 2015 launch, and was never fixed. Ever.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Huh, did not encounter that bug myself. Sorry, can’t help.

Bosses- Strictly speaking, there are a few bosses in the latter two acts of the game who are different than the Top Dogs. We just have yet to encounter them and no I’m not spoiling more than that. But yeah, I agree some more boss diversity would be nice.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Deep Friah's character design is so dang cool.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puZMot9FtLU
Sorry for not putting in a link last time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Watch the video, it speaks for itself. Survival horror isn’t really my genre, but this level makes me get why people are into it. Brr...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The Airport is by far the best location in the game and clearly has a lot of effort out into it. It's a shame we aren't given much reason to go back more than a couple times. There is even more of a streak contrast when you realize how many hours you've been driving around a barren wasteland.

There are a number of places in the dunes region that are really well done - the airport being the best but we also had the church we picked through and there's also a buried house laying around. The region is the last to come up but really done well, I had no idea what to expect when I first drove out that way but knew what was waiting as soon as the air traffic control tower came in to view.

While much of the gameworld is barren, scorched rock where what does remain of the pre fall world is barely recognizable most of what you come across in the dunes is fairly well preserved. As if to remind Max this is where the future went to die; everything you left behind in your old life is still laying here.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is there any hint that you should enter the Underdune not on foot, but in your vehicle? It seems you could conceivably harpoon the gate off and leave the car behind; I didn't immediately see anything on the way in that struck me as being impossible to handle without the Magnum Opus. You'd definitely want its speed on the way out, though; what an awful time to realize you could have and should have brought your wheels.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Righto! Back from vacation. I scheduled these releases piece-meal over the last week but here's them in a batch if you're waiting.

28: Cock Locka/Polsy
29: The Arkytekt/Polsy
30: The Underdune/Polsy

I figured using God Hand music for a change of pace was appropriate for the last camps. Also I might do that game soon. I got plans.

do NOT jack off posted:

I'm here to ragepost. It's not really a spoiler. But there's a bug that prevents you from getting 100% completion at this one camp in Pink Eye's territory. It's an oil pump camp with a gimmick of waves of enemies to kill before you can get through. But if you fail, even once, you don't ever get to go through the usual way!

I got two of the three oil pumps by shooting an explosive barrel from across the map over the fence, but one remains undestroyed. I'm trying to boost up high enough to get a thunderpoon into the third oil pump, which is furthest into the camp itself, meaning I'm going to have to somehow stick this boost perfectly or I'm just going to ragequit this whole game. 30 hours down the toilet, it feels like!

How long does one have to wait before a storm hits, anyway? Browsing the forums got me to a workaround where lightning just hits one of the pumps, but I've been attempting the jump for an hour and a half and no storm. Is there some other form of awful cheating I can do in order to finish this? This bug was apparently in the game for its 2015 launch, and was never fixed. Ever.

That's a weird one. I know there was a patch recently to address some issues with not being able to 100% through the death runs, but I haven't heard of this one. I wouldn't expect it to be fixed, unfortunately.

Hirayuki posted:

Is there any hint that you should enter the Underdune not on foot, but in your vehicle? It seems you could conceivably harpoon the gate off and leave the car behind; I didn't immediately see anything on the way in that struck me as being impossible to handle without the Magnum Opus. You'd definitely want its speed on the way out, though; what an awful time to realize you could have and should have brought your wheels.

I'd say the game sign-posts pretty hard that you should take the vehicle. I think it'd be possible to walk through most of the area, but hardly advisable. It's kinda huge.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
By this point in the game you'd be trained pretty well that when you come up to the gate at a camp you can pull it open then drive the car inside to the little base vestibule where you leave it while you finish killing everyone. Only this time you can see there is a way forward where the car fits and you have Chum's running commentary to give you a hint that he wants to come along.

I dont recall ever trying to do it alone but there are no crazy jumps or anything else that would require the car. The only thing I could think of is when we come to the drawbridge over the bottomless pit. The door to the right may not be open if you don't have the car.

I don't have any saves at that point in the game or I'd try it myself.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

When you were driving past the Buzzard traps, it hit me that they were in the exact right spot for your side flames to hit them. I wonder if they coded that in, like if you're dumb enough to do it it blows up and fucks up the car?

Also, what was that giant sphere at the beginning of episode 30? I couldn't quite make it out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I tried entering the Underdune on foot at first. The game kept prompting me to bring the car with text, so I did. That said, I was also constantly getting out and looking for scrap as I drove the tunnels until I figured out it wouldn’t be around till later.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

seaborgium posted:

Also, what was that giant sphere at the beginning of episode 30? I couldn't quite make it out.

The thing hanging from the ceiling of the terminal? It's a giant globe with a Buzzard insignia painted on it.

Chum does not know what Earth used to look like. I imagine most people don't.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

achtungnight posted:

I tried entering the Underdune on foot at first. The game kept prompting me to bring the car with text, so I did.
Remembering the way the game also told you to make sure Max's shotgun was ready before the truck quest, I imagine you'd be looking for every excuse to hang onto your decked-out vehicle in all of its 'poony glory. In other words, if the game isn't forcing you to go on foot, I reckon you'd take the Magnum Opus with you as far as humanly possible.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
"Keep your voice down," says the man bringing a V6 muscle car through an enclosed space and revving it.

Max is not particularly good at stealth, is he?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It's perfectly stealthy if no one survives to admit you were ever there!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There's some brief riffing on Beyond Thunderdome in this video, which actually holds up better than I remember. It's still only 2/3rds of a good movie though. The entire return to Bartertown section is pretty meh.

31: The Small Race/Polsy

My drunk, scattered notes on Thunderdome. I don't remember what I was referencing in half of them.

beyond thunderdome
introduces blackfinger
aesthetics
characters are very strong
bartertown and gastown comparisons
fighting as entertainment
battle scene, practical effects
run embargo, masterblaster vs entity
sayings: two men enter, one man leave; bust a deal, face the wheel
music? odd addition, but strong addition
no thunderdome representation in game, aside from statue/fighting arena/raggedy man
gulag: horse in the desert with a flask of water
children with verbal tradition
left children behind, 2-3 generations later
disney traditions
mythology "come true", a sign

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Beyond Thunderdome- I agree with you on the movie. Sad to say Fury Road is the only Mad Max film I’d gladly watch more than once (Road Warrior is borderline). Sorry to hear you won’t be discussing Fury Road. Go see it, folks. Trust me. You’re in for a good time.

Game progress- I took out the mine fields for completion, so I had threat level zero everywhere by this point. I gritted my teeth at a mandatory Death Run but was glad I pulled it off. Races aren’t that hard when you can take out your opponents. I even found myself doing a few other ones just for fun afterwards. Then I remembered half the game’s engines are locked behind story progress and had to keep going.

The Gastown race was a pain for me to complete. Learning to manual aim more than anything got me through it. I also had to ditch all upgrades that slowed me down just to keep up with the opponents. Oh well, Thunderpoons are better than ramming anyway, I told myself. You’re going in with the heaviest armor and a pretty clunky grill- I will again envy your skills when you pull this off.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
B-But how will you get the boarder spikes challenge now? :ohdear:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Fedule posted:

B-But how will you get the boarder spikes challenge now? :ohdear:

I won't, that's how. Screw that challenge.

Found this neato video about Fury Road. https://www.clickhole.com/this-will-change-the-way-you-watch-mad-max-fury-road-1832428126?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=ClickHole

I also have finished recording footage and editing stuff. I just need to do audio and this game is essentially done? THE END IS IN SIGHT???

The last act of this game happens pretty quick actually.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
smdh if you don't rewatch all four mad max films yearly and worship them as a religious guide as you work your way through life trying to achieve the pinnacle of being: to be The Humungus.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Save time by watching all 4 of them at once on the same screen - you should have the dialog from each one memorized by this point anyway. You do have them memorized, right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
who doesn't?? i mean, they're not particularly verbose scripts...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’d rather be Furiosa than the Humongous. Or whoever her male equivalent is. Nyx when he became cool before his tragic end? Max (in the movies)? I dunno, I just don’t want to be a bad guy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
them: "I'd rather be--"
me: "JUST WALK AWAY!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
alternately: I'm Furiosa in the streets, but The Humungus the Lord Humungus the Warrior of the Wasteland the Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah in the sheets.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(is Mad Max shitposting a thing??)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

achtungnight posted:

I dunno, I just don’t want to be a bad guy.

It's possible to see Humungus' gang and the oil-refractory group as both on a more neutral level.

At the very least, Humungus isn't that rapist rear end in a top hat Immortan Joe.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

achtungnight posted:

I’d rather be Furiosa than the Humongous. Or whoever her male equivalent is. Nyx when he became cool before his tragic end? Max (in the movies)? I dunno, I just don’t want to be a bad guy.

I wanted to be the gyrocaptain pilot. That dude had it all.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

LashLightning posted:

It's possible to see Humungus' gang and the oil-refractory group as both on a more neutral level.

At the very least, Humungus isn't that rapist rear end in a top hat Immortan Joe.

Max is doing the world a favor wiping Immorten Joe's legacy from the earth.

I wondered about the Big Nothing and what lies beyond it, and concluded that the ocean couldn't have totally disappeared, just receded thanks to a nuclear winter. That being said, a different history relic talks about how sea life disappeared before the seas receded. From what little I understand about our role in destroying the world right now, I pieced together my own little timeline of what happened to all the water. A combination of pollution, global warming, and overfishing wound up destroying sea life. Then the nuclear exchange constituted the last of human involvement on that scale, so whatever is left of sea life is gradually rebuilding while humanity is slowly dying off. Sea life will be far more fragile thanks to the lack of biodiversity and the remnants of things like plastic shoals and apoxic(sp?) zones from nitrate pollution, but single-celled organisms will probably be okay beyond that. Humans, at least, won't be messing with it any more.

Humans would lose a food source in sea life, but anyone who manages to get to the new coasts would be able to use the seas for travel and procuring salt, which is otherwise a massively scarce resource with the dearth of animals as a food source. That being said, the salt water breezes would probably desertify what was already blasted into a wasteland, making it inhospitable to humans in other ways.

Can anyone speak to the nutritional value of maggots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

(is Mad Max shitposting a thing??)

report yourself and find out

spin the wheel, sally!