Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:siren: Newest Video(s) :siren:
35: The Fury Road/Polsy

What?
Mad Max is an open world game in the vein of Just Cause (same developers), but with a bigger focus on vehicular combat and some Batman: Arkham style ground combat. It's a bit overstuffed with content and a fair amount of it is padding, but it's still worth seeing! The game is a loose to non-canonical tie in to Mad Max: Fury Road, and it takes a lot of influences and universe building based the universe fleshed out in that movie. George Miller was even involved in pre-production consulting!

How?
The game is far too stuffed with content to be a 100% play through, but I've got a good track record with open world games with an awful lot of content. I'll at least be completing the main storyline, do a fair amount of side content, and there's a good chance I'll reduce threat level in all areas to 0. I will not be doing all the various challenges through the game, I don't plan on touching post-game content, and getting all the history relics and death races completed is gonna be a nope from me. While doing some area cleanups I tentatively plan to make a quick overview of the various Mad Max movies, to give some context to what we find in various areas in the game. I'm afraid I don't have an awful lot planned for audience involvement, although I will need your help at the end of the first video to pimp out our :krad: ride!

Videos
1: The Raggedy Man/Polsy - Vote for the Magnum Opus body!
2: A Little Boost/Polsy
3: Abandon Ship/Polsy
4: Dental Consultation/Polsy
5: Man's Best Friend/Polsy
6: Blas Cap/Polsy
7: Stump Grinder/Polsy
8: Getting Scrappy/Polsy
9: A Stronger Hold/Polsy
10: Poorly Recalled History/Polsy
11: The Clip Show/Polsy
12: Australian Climate Change/Polsy
13: A (Conversation) Wasteland/Polsy
14: Gaspa Grope/Polsy
15: Convoy/Polsy
16: Thirstcutter/Polsy
17: Gutgashing/Polsy
18: The Thunderpoon/Polsy
19: Camp Thunderstick/Polsy
20: Gut Noose/Polsy
21: Rim Jobbie and THE JAW/Polsy
22: Cackcrack/Polsy
23: Gutgash Cleanup/Polsy
24: Making Inroads/Polsy
25: Let's Go Rummage, Dog/Polsy
26: Pig'N'Sticker/Polsy
27: The "President" Exhaust/Polsy
28: Cock Locka/Polsy
29: The Arkytekt/Polsy
30: The Underdune/Polsy
31: The Small Race/Polsy
32: The Big Race/Polsy
33: Hail To The Chief/Polsy
34: Digging For Trouble/Polsy
35: The Fury Road/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Reserved for character bios and such when I get to it. Probably won't.

Extra hood ornaments from some DLC or other.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 27, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My ideal man of the post apocalyptic wasteland drives like Mad Max, fights like he’s in Fist of the North Star, and loves like the Freeway Warrior.

I like this genre and your LPs too. I’ll check out this one.

Watched video. Voted for Die Rolla. The die is cast! :D

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 1, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This game! I keep wanting to play it, but for some reason I can't bring myself to start it up.

Anyway, voted for Die Rolla because the name makes me think of 40k Orks.

e: ya' know what? I'm gonna actually play this thing, so whatever happens I'll be seeing that Die Rolla

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 1, 2018

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Dude, this is gonna be great and I can't wait to see more.

I voted for Furnace because I like the sleek sexiness of it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What a day! What a lovely day!

Edit: voted Death Rattle. Played through most of the game, but then got kind turned off of it, and stopped playing. Will be glad to see how it ends.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 1, 2018

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Witness!

I vote the Die Rolla.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I love this game - can't quite put my finger on why but I've put way more hours into it than I normally would for game of this type. I can't help but come back to it every once and a while and play through it all again.

I don't even care about getting 100% in a game but in this I feel compelled to go through and pick through every cam, getting every piece of scrap, history relic there is to find and killing every person we come across. And even for such a barren, dead world there's quite a bit to see and the landscapes can be gorgeous when just cruising around.

Admittedly it does get a bit stale towards the end when Max has transformed in to Death and you've started liberating all the territories so there's not many people to fight. But that just means it's time to restart and start killing people all over again.

Anyway, I almost exclusively use the Wild Hunt when playing since it's closest to what Max drives in the movies. And when I'm not using that I'll usually be in the Ripper since it's the next closest thing to a muscle car in this game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Making an open world Mad Max game seems like one of those things that's just obvious.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What's better is that even though the Mad Max franchise is once again stuck in legal limbo and the game didn't do quite well enough to warrant a sequel (even though it did very well) it looks like RAGE 2 is shaping up to be Mad Max 2: RAGE so we'll get a lot of similar gameplay.. Can't wait to play it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Death Rattle

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hell yes. Love this game, love your LP's, love the Death Rattle. Let's die historic :black101:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
y-you monsters!! clearly the Wild Hunt is the most correct and righteous choice, being the most like the Ford Falcon XB!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I like this game. I thought I had more mixed feelings about it towards the end, but the benefit of hindsight makes me appreciate it more, and honestly, it might be one of my favorite sandbox games. Certainly one of the only ones where I was actually moved to do all of the things possible without burning out and speeding to the end anyway.

I can't really say why I like it so much now, of course, but what I can say is this: this is a Mad Max game through and through, and I look forward to talking about why.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I will fully admit that I'm surprised at how close the voting is staying.

I'm gonna give this about 24 hours more on a vote and then I start recording forever once I have a pick.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Death Rattle looks like some sort of Post-Apoc 1930s New York Gangster ride, so that's where my vote went.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This game was above average, IMO. The story was just eh to me after I completed it, but the driving combat is fun. It's just a bit repetitive and lacking surprises as you get further along. If they had mixed some of the missions up more and added more variety to the open world quests it would have been better.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

How is Wild Hunt not winning? What is wrong with this thread?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CirclMastr posted:

How is Wild Hunt not winning? What is wrong with this thread?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CirclMastr posted:

What is wrong with this thread?
It's the video intro! It's unbalanced: too many smegma-crazies, not enough gayboy-berserkers.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I'm liking the look of the Wild Hunt!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
wait, there's post-game content? i beat this and did everything except the races.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Shovel Face. Because most people in the Wasteland look like they've been hit in the face with a shovel already.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fish Noise posted:

It's the video intro! It's unbalanced: too many smegma-crazies, not enough gayboy-berserkers.

Not enough Iron Bar.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
A late break in the votes has catapulted the Wild Hunt to the top for that classic Falcon XB look. We're going Mad Max 1 baby!

Blood Sally posted:

Not enough Iron Bar.

Iron Bar is so weird, why is he such a thing in Thunderdome. I don't even know. Movie was good for aesthetics, maybe not so hot on story.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

A late break in the votes has catapulted the Wild Hunt to the top for that classic Falcon XB look. We're going Mad Max 1 baby!

Alright, was waiting for the vote to end before starting my own run! Looks like I'll be Rollin Dies in my run.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
A choice was made and now it's time to enter the wasteland.

2: A Little Boost/Polsy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gods, I love Chum. He speaks almost exactly like I'd imagine a 40K techmarine would speak.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Made the same mistake I always do in going after that stash before you can actually buy the crowbar (for whatever reason I keep thinking the door introduces the customization menu, but it doesn't come until much later).

Two things to also consider when going into Fury mode is that it gives Max a way to kill stunned enemies instantly without wasting a shiv and it also restores a bit of health every time you kill someone. So if you're running low on health after a long fight getting Fury can save your life (or save you having to run away).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I love this game, but I only got about 50% of the way through.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
So, what options do you have for being cruel to Chum? Drive off without him? Run him over?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

inflatablefish posted:

So, what options do you have for being cruel to Chum? Drive off without him? Run him over?

If you enter the car from the left side often enough, he'll wonder if you have brain damage for getting in the wrong side of the car.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

inflatablefish posted:

play the game. Max'll take care of that for you

I also like that Chum doesn't immediately call you out for getting in on the wrong side. once or twice is an anomoly--even necessary given the hwctoc nature of the world. but a pattern? saint's gone mad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samovar posted:

Gods, I love Chum. He speaks almost exactly like I'd imagine a 40K techmarine would speak.

He's a real character. Considering that he's the main source of color commentary, it's good that he's got a unique voice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You have a lovely voice, Scruffy.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

bony tony posted:

Chumbucket's voice

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Scruffy's voice
Does this mean we now call scruffy Scrufbucket until the end of the LP?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Samovar posted:

bony tony posted:

He's a real character. Considering that he's the main source of color commentary, it's good that he's got a unique voice.

Chumbucket is the best character in the game... but he never pronounces "dinky-di" correctly. Not once. :colbert:

I mean come on guys, you got an Australian to voice Max; did you never actually talk to him? Surely he would have said at some point "hey just a heads-up; it's actually dinkee-die, not dinkee-dee".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fish Noise posted:

Does this mean we now call scruffy Scrufbucket until the end of the LP?

Sounds like someone's needing a new avatar

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

Chumbucket is the best character in the game... but he never pronounces "dinky-di" correctly. Not once. :colbert:

I mean come on guys, you got an Australian to voice Max; did you never actually talk to him? Surely he would have said at some point "hey just a heads-up; it's actually dinkee-die, not dinkee-dee".

Maybe Chumbucket didn't have anyone tell him the correct pronunciation since he's been living alone for who knows how long. I still pronounce some words I've learned through a book wrong sometimes even having known the correct way for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that's my take on it. this is the same universe that has Aunty Entity and Imperator Furiosa as characters. they figure prominently but they certainly don't have Australian accents--and i never heard a war boy correct Charlize Theron. they may be in Australia but that doesn't mean everyone necessarily has the accent. besides, with societal decay and all, whose to say that pronunciations will continue to stay the same? whose to say that there wouldnt be copious mistakes? it just adds to the whole mythological dream state of the dreamlike worldn