Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supernatural is getting another final season as the CW has decided to cut off the season now instead of pushing forward with what they had finished filming (which was up to episode 18 but did not include the finale.) So the current final season will end at episode 13 while the back seven episodes will air sometime later this year as a new final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't see any direct abuse in the show barring the aforementioned news footage of dead tigers from that one bizarre incident that happened ages ago where some guy let like 60 of them loose in the local area.

There is one scene where Joe Exotic almost gets mauled by tigers and he fends them off with a crutch and shoots a gun in the air, which is probably as bad as it gets.

There is definitely a lot of abuse and death going on in the background, though, as it is part of the reason why Joe Exotic got convicted. And it's clear from some footage that the animals' living conditions aren't the best.

I don't know, I find animal abuse to be pretty abhorrent to watch as well, but I could deal with Tiger King.

There’s also the scene where they’re dragging the newborn cubs under the chain-link fence with a hook and not being very careful about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

Wait. What? There was a show where Archie and the gang solved supernatural mysteries? How did my Archie and Scooby-Doo loving rear end not know about Archie's Weird Mysteries? I'm guessing it's awful since I've never heard it brought up in the 21 years since airing?

I was v scared of horror-related things when I was 13, so maybe I just consciously blocked it from my memory. That era is also very hard for me to be nostalgic about but I'll still probably give it a shot...

It's not awful, just very, very standard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s also the scene where they’re dragging the newborn cubs under the chain-link fence with a hook and not being very careful about it.

Also the picture of people holding up dead and bloodied rabbits

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

Supernatural is getting another final season as the CW has decided to cut off the season now instead of pushing forward with what they had finished filming (which was up to episode 18 but did not include the finale.) So the current final season will end at episode 13 while the back seven episodes will air sometime later this year as a new final season.

I guess the question is will it be season 16 or just a delayed 15?

I'm mainly asking because of netflix. If 15 is in fact over, then season 15 to date should arrive next week. But if it's not technically over yet, then 15 is going to be delayed from netflix until the last 7 episodes air.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I watched the Netflix Dracula.

Who the gently caress paid money to have that made? Even from a "well maybe do something unique" perspective it completely fails to be interesting. It's like the kind of show a edgy 3rd year creative writing major would turn in and get a failing grade for.

How does this creator still have a job? Why do people pay them to create works of media? Who is seeing this and saying "yes, buy the next thing that person makes"? Why does it look like they spent pocket change on the sets and wardrobe?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The tax paying British public funds it by supporting the commercial arm of the BBC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pentyne posted:

I watched the Netflix Dracula.

Who the gently caress paid money to have that made? Even from a "well maybe do something unique" perspective it completely fails to be interesting. It's like the kind of show a edgy 3rd year creative writing major would turn in and get a failing grade for.

How does this creator still have a job? Why do people pay them to create works of media? Who is seeing this and saying "yes, buy the next thing that person makes"? Why does it look like they spent pocket change on the sets and wardrobe?

Hey, you watched it despite all the reviews saying not to, so he's making his money back.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

This is reminding me a little of that year we had the writers strike. Like how the first 2 episodes of Breaking Bad season 2 were clearly written as season 1 episodes. It'll be an interesting little footnote in television history.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Can't say I was expecting the final segment for Last Week Tonight to be centered around some erotic rat art produced in central Pennsylvania in 1992.

It was a nice balance to the first segment which was equal parts depressing and infuriating.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hope some other talk show host gets that painting just to spark a war between shows.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a thread for Tiger King, because holy poo poo this lady killed her husband.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sloth Life posted:

This show got me through some hard times. It's dreadfully twee and silly but it has genuine heart.
Also Matt Frewer steals every scene he is in.

I loved it too. Especially as it often tried drat hard to avoid "mystic thing is... EVIL?!!" cliches at every possible opportunity.

Also Rebecca Romijn just looks like she is having an absolute ball in every episode :allears:.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m as surprised as anyone else to hear me say this, but Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is one of my favourite shows airing right now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

jane levy, lauren graham and mary steenburgen are in this show so i must watch it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still have to finish S2. I loved the first season, and the second season was also really good, but it was so stressful to watch I didn’t finish it.

There's something Vince Gilligan said about writing Breaking Bad, and how they wanted to avoid silly obstacles. Like "Walter makes all the money, but whoops it falls out his car and he's back to square one".

I like how Ozark seems to have said gently caress that, what can go wrong will go wrong, and it's just a mad scrabble of solving one problem and creating two more.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
That loving jet ski shoot in the last episode of Tiger King is the funniest poo poo I've seen in weeks.

Jeff Lowe is one of the most punchable men I've ever seen. Why would you wear a hat over a bandana? All the time?!

I assume Joe's "campaign manager" posted in D&D before the libertarians were purged.

It really is remarkable how every single one of these people are absolute monsters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The sublot with the therapist this season on Ozark is loving hilarious. No idea why critics think this show isn't funny.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

The sublot with the therapist this season on Ozark is loving hilarious. No idea why critics think this show isn't funny.

The reviews that piss me off are the "its so bad, its unintentionally funny"

How can you look at them casually discussing murder will insisting that they're gonna sit down and have a proper family breakfast and conclude that it's not intentional?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazing

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1244684488350654465?s=20

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

John Krasinski is a Youtuber now. Highlights some uplifting things in the news and interviews Steve Carell. I guess it's like a celebrity Philip Defranco show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5pgG1M_h_U

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i want walton goggins to portray joe exotic in some sort of adaptation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe Edward Norton has said he wants to play him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a reminder that two really good shows are back this Friday. The final season of Future Man and s2 of Harley Quinn.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That Amazon series "Tales from the Loop" also comes out on Friday (well, likely Thursday given how they release).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most amazing thing about Tiger King is just how almost every single person is awful. Even if you don't think the Big Cat Rescue lady killed her husband she's still a huge hypocrite for promoting exotic pet ownership in the 90s.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Her husband had dementia and just wandered off. It's like Blackfish; a good point (exotic pet trade bad for big cats) and sensationalizes along the wrong axis.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chieves posted:

Do you have a link?

Untrustable posted:

I have a lot of stories, but I'll tell you the clown story.

We were in Davidson (?), Illinois staying at a cheap no tell motel where staff got stuffed 8-10 to a room while Joe stayed in the tour bus with his boys. We had just gotten back from almost 24 hours at the local mall doing magic shows on the hour and showing off tigers in collapsible cages in-between. It was snowing like a motherfucker and I was perched on the balcony/second story walkway in a lawn chair smoking a cigarette when I saw the clowns.

The clowns were just ex-cons in their 50s-60s who wore clown makeup and were the hype men during the days at wherever we were stopped. They'd draw people out of the hustle and bustle of the mall towards the sad tiger shanty town we'd built in the middle of the mall (it was almost always malls or parking lots).

One big rule Joe Exotic had was NO ALCOHOL. I figure this stemmed from his brother dying via drunk driver. These old clowns had a helluva time with bottleache though, so whenever we'd get settled they would go straight for a liquor store or gas station. Since Joe was cozy in his tour bus, they wouldn't get caught. They didn't get out of costume or even wipe off the facepaint. They just threw on jackets and started walking. A line of 5 or 6 clowns in the snow, wandering towards the nearest bottle of KD. About an hour later I'm back on the balcony smoking and see these guys coming back. They're trudging through the snow, facepaint sloughing off, wearing clown clothes. Each one was carrying a bottle in a brown paper bag. They were walking single file. It is one of the most surreal things I've ever seen. Like some kind of horror movie death march. If I was artistically inclined I'd have already painted that strange tableau on black velvet and hung it in my living room.

Edit: Also pretty sure I saw a kangaroo kill a man. Can't confirm it, but seems like he was dead.

Untrustable posted:

I've posted about it in a lot of threads, but Joe Exotic was and is a crazy person. I answered a Craigslist ad and drove over a hundred miles under the promise of "seeing the country". It ended up being more like:

- Clowns on a death march through the snow to buy liquor.
- A kangaroo beat a man to death (I can't prove he was dead but I never saw him after the dust-up).
- 6-10 people in one hotel room at every stop of the tour
- Massive amounts of undocumented immigrants and kids right out of high school working jobs they weren't qualified to even be close to doing
- got attacked by a lion (it was a month old, so I didn't get injured or anything)
- got into a physical confrontation over who got to sleep in the sleeper cab of the semi that hauled all the circus equipment
- Almost got my rear end beat by the Amish
- Left in Markham, Illinois in the winter because the tour ran out of money
- Cut up cow carcasses with a chainsaw to feed lions, which is messy and disgusting work

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know it's more than a week old, but can we talk about that third episode of Black Monday. Holy poo poo that was insane. There were more bullets fired, and more blood in that episode than every season of The Shield combined.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there a name for the thing in documentaries where they hold the camera on the interviewee without asking another question to make them uncomfortable?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NotNut posted:

is there a name for the thing in documentaries where they hold the camera on the interviewee without asking another question to make them uncomfortable?

Good interview technique? I don't think it's got a specific name, it's just a strategic use of silence.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Looten Plunder posted:

Good interview technique? I don't think it's got a specific name, it's just a strategic use of silence.

I don't know if I'd call it good technique. seems kind of manipulative to me. like they only edit in the gap afterwards if they're trying to make it seem like a particular statement is dubious

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's called The Michael Moore

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Binging Spectrum's Manhunt: Deadly Games and I'm enjoying it so far. There's something novel about Nick Searcy playing Sheriff Art Mullen in Not Harlan County.

Also, the FBI agent in charge is a massive douchebike and (not knowing how that aspect of the story ends) can't wait for him to get his for coercing Richard Jewell into waiving his Miranda rights.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

Her husband had dementia and just wandered off. It's like Blackfish; a good point (exotic pet trade bad for big cats) and sensationalizes along the wrong axis.

Not a single member or friend of this person believed, even for a second, that this man had dementia.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NotNut posted:

I don't know if I'd call it good technique. seems kind of manipulative to me. like they only edit in the gap afterwards if they're trying to make it seem like a particular statement is dubious

Well yeah, that's not the interviewer, that's manipulative editing. Silence on behalf of the interviewer is good technique and can uncover some absolute gold, how lovely they are with the edit afterwards is something else entirely. Hell, they could probably insert a bunch of silence when there wasn't some in the first place. Or just splice in another answer altogether. Check out the Jim Jefferies/Avi Yemini controversy from last year (unfortunately giving a racist piece of poo poo, more of a mouthpiece)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NotNut posted:

Ehhh, those kinds of moments are good for interviews because it’s an unspoken invitation to say more. Sometimes you get a really good sound byte out of it because the subject offers up more information than they normally would have if you’d continued on with the next question.

Mr Rogers used to do something similar when talking to kids one-on-one because during those silences they’d tell him more personal stuff instead of the usual responses kids say to adults. It lets the person you’re talking to know you’re actually listening instead of just going by a script or needling them for info.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehhh, those kinds of moments are good for interviews because it’s an unspoken invitation to say more. Sometimes you get a really good sound byte out of it because the subject offers up more information than they normally would have if you’d continued on with the next question.

Mr Rogers used to do something similar when talking to kids one-on-one because during those silences they’d tell him more personal stuff instead of the usual responses kids say to adults. It lets the person you’re talking to know you’re actually listening instead of just going by a script or needling them for info.

It's a decent tool to have in your repertoire as a manager too.

Employee: It shouldn't be too hard to do.
Manager: *stares*
Employee: (now slightly nervous) So... you should have it on your desk by the end of the week.

Just don't overuse it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been rewatching Community seeing if I can finish it up before losing interest and once again I'm at the point where I can't quite work my way to why anyone would continue to tolerate Pierce after a continuing series of malicious and cruel actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

John Krasinski is a Youtuber now. Highlights some uplifting things in the news and interviews Steve Carell. I guess it's like a celebrity Philip Defranco show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5pgG1M_h_U
I watched this and didn't enjoy it specifically because it tries to be uplifting.

I think... I might be really depressed?