Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

HorrificExistence posted:

Some unmarked winter war, or maybe continuation war ruins on an island in Lake Ladoga. Anyone know what these could be, or about the war on Lake Ladoga in general? The center of the 3 store building had a big aerial/naval bomb hole. I would've done some amateur archeology/ gone in the building but didn't want to disturb any ordinance/remains considering the place was not curated at all.

It was inside an area that had a gate with a Finnish crest on it, so it must've been a Finnish barracks of some sort, id guess.

cliche foto for effect

Hard to say without a map. There's obviously the monastery at Valamo, but that wouldn't fit the bill. A bit of googling indicates that Mantsinsaari used to have a naval gun battery and a small garrison. I found a brief history, translated and abridged below. NB: This is unlikely to be the place the photos are from, since the maps (bottom of post) indicate there were almost no large concrete buildings. But well, it's still interesting to me.

The Härkämäki ("Oxhill") battery was built 1921, with main positions towards the lake and a backup fire plan towards the land. It was a well prepared position when the Winter War broke, with everything in the reach of the guns having been measured and prepared for fire.

At the outset of the Winter War, the garrison had 500 men, consisting of the fortress troops and 4th Separate Bicycle Company in Lunkulansaari. They'd hold the enemy off the main fortress island for the first 10 days at the start of the war. During December, additional reinforcements in terms of the 23rd Separate Battalion and several sections of Sissi troops (i.e. troops for guerilla style warfare, scouting, ambushes etc.) arrived from Valamo. These reinforcements increased the troop count to 1300 during the month of December. The battery and the sissi troops kept harassing, disrupting an cutting off the Soviet logistics and supply lines in the South-Eastern Ladoga area in January. They both tied down and caused attrition to the Soviet troops in the area for the whole of the Winter War.

In February 1940, Soviets brought in additional Divisions to the SE corner of Ladoga. These convoys would be fired upon by the Mantsinsaari guns. At the same time, both artillery and aerial bombardments directed at the garrison/fortress increased without significant results despite relatively severe bombardment.

After the peace, most of the sector's defenders left by skis and horse convoy via Valamo. One of the guns was blown up in-place on the 14th of March. The other had so worn out that it had been removed from its position and moved to the ice, where it was left. The barrel weight'd 5.4 tons and was over 5 meters long.

During the Continuation War, a new 2-gun battery was placed on the island. During the fighting retreat of Aunus, the island was given up in 6th of July 1944. This was a fighting retreat with the other gun still firing at land targets while the other was being taken down.

The area also had a total of three other smaller gun positions: Peiponen (61.352281, 31.545984), Heinäluoto (61.278186, 31.659561) ja Repoluoto ("Reposaari" in the map below, 61.410762, 31.267999).

Map of the area:

Map of the battery:

The legend of the map posted:

Legend of the buildings
I Battery, concrete
II Officer building, wooden
III Barracks, wooden
IV Storage, wooden
V Sauna
VI Cellar, conrete
VII <empty>
VIII Pier, wooden

Photos (shamelessly copied from the linked website, likely courtesy of SA-Kuva:

ETA: There are some more modern pictures on the website the above was lifted from.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Re: ear protection.

One of the major US suppliers just discovered a bad issue with them that apparently damaged a ton of peoples hearing. They settled with the US government over it but of course not the individual soldiers with hosed ears yet although I doubt they will)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Re: ear protection.

One of the major US suppliers just discovered a bad issue with them that apparently damaged a ton of peoples hearing. They settled with the US government over it but of course not the individual soldiers with hosed ears yet although I doubt they will)

Surefire Sonic defenders also have issues and at one point Audiologists in the Army got them taken away from PX, but the company threw a hissy fit. Their advertised NRR isn't close to what it is, and they degrade fast. But, of course, wearing the CAE Plugs in that lawsuit that you mentioned is still miles better than nothing at all, which isn't a saving grace towards the company's fuckery or an absolving of it.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 31, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am not impressed with these tactical realistic military themed FPS games and will not be impressed until we get to choose the rigging and how much your player character can exploit/get away not wearing it.

Has anyone played this yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come:_Deliverance

quote:

It is set in the medieval Kingdom of Bohemia, an Imperial State of the Holy Roman Empire, with a focus on historically accurate content.[1] It was released worldwide on 13 February 2018.

The story takes place during a war in Bohemia in 1403. On the orders of Hungarian king Sigismund, Cuman mercenaries raid the mining village of Skalitz, a major source of silver. One of the survivors of that massacre is Henry, the son of a blacksmith. Destitute and vengeful, Henry joins the service of Lord Radzig Kobyla, who leads a resistance movement against Sigismund's invasion. As Henry pursues justice for his murdered family, he becomes involved in an effort to restore Bohemia's rightful king and Sigismund's half-brother, Wenceslaus IV, to the throne. The game features branching quest lines and an open world environment which encourages immersive gameplay, and includes early 15th century period-accurate weapons, clothing, combat techniques, and architecture recreated with the assistance of architects and historians.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilmucche posted:

On noise, how is the hearing of frontline soldiers? I imagine that having your ear within a foot or two of multiple explosions doesn't do you any good and that hearing protection isn't really an option.

Black Hawk Down has a pretty good portrayal of this, by all accounts.

My buddy who was a tank commander recently in Afghanistan has 30% hearing loss in one of his ears since that is the ear that was pointed towards the breech of the gun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm playing it and I believe Cyrano has as well. It's not quite as historically accurate as they tout, like the clothes are a mixture of 15th and 16th century styles and they repeat the "Everyone just filled the water with raw sewage because they were idiots so they all drank beer instead" myth with a helping of "Beer was thick and had to be drunk with a straw" that they misremembered from the Wikipedia article on the origin of beer.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

There's some chud stuff in, like, one character trait/perk which makes you more attractive to women by being smelly enough to get stealth penalties, but the games looks authentic, I guess.

The main character looks like a dolt, though.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ilmucche posted:

On noise, how is the hearing of frontline soldiers? I imagine that having your ear within a foot or two of multiple explosions doesn't do you any good and that hearing protection isn't really an option.

Teaditionally pretty lovely, especially for the cannon-cockers. Eapro not being a thing for a long time, and even now that every serviceman has a pair of plugs dangling from their pocket button, you still don't always have time to put them in when the shooting starts. Those active ones are the tits-- amplify the enwmy trying to sneak up on you, cit out whwn you light them up -- but as mwntioned, not without their teething problems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Black Hawk Down has a pretty good portrayal of this, by all accounts.
Yeah, it's not quite as bad for the shooter because all the noise is going out in front of you. That poor guy standing beside the muzzle of a 249 ... Ouch.

Also Archer. "Mawp. Mawp."

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

JcDent posted:

Gotta be relatable to the player base.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

There's some chud stuff in, like, one character trait/perk which makes you more attractive to women by being smelly enough to get stealth penalties, but the games looks authentic, I guess.

I don't think that perk is a chud thing, just an extension of the game's concept of having most perks give penalties to another stat or play style. There's also two mutually exclusive perks that let you get +3 when talking to nobles or commoners.

One good thing the game does is represent how much work it takes Henry to actually become the badass warrior he's supposed to be. He's an illiterate blacksmith's son without really any talents beyond a bit of smithing skill, so there's a good chance that you'll lose a fistfight with a drunk in your home village. You can actually get into a few swordfights with bandits early on before Henry gets any training and he just kinda swings the sword like a baseball bat and gets knocked off-guard by trying to block. Archery is almost impossible until you build up your strength and agility and some bows are too strong to use without training so he just kinda pulls the string back halfway and then releases whether you want him to or not.

And when I say "illiterate" I mean it. If you try to read a book, it's just a jumble of random letters in the vague shape of words. You have to train Henry's literacy just like any other skill, slowly turning the jumbled mess into comprehensible words and trying to puzzle out what the books say before you're completely literate. When you first learn to read, you get a reading test from the scribe as a challenge and actually have to remember the contents of the books you were struggling with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Mo481ipZc

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 31, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm playing it and I believe Cyrano has as well. It's not quite as historically accurate as they tout, like the clothes are a mixture of 15th and 16th century styles and they repeat the "Everyone just filled the water with raw sewage because they were idiots so they all drank beer instead" myth with a helping of "Beer was thick and had to be drunk with a straw" that they misremembered from the Wikipedia article on the origin of beer.

Also, It's a game so expect it to follow vague themes of accuracy at best.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do need to get on with learning how to homebrew so I can eventually make a proper medieval gruit ale. I'm reading a lot about the process and seeing where people accidentally put in anachronisms, like using pale malt that couldn't exist before the Industrial Revolution.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Yeah, it's not quite as bad for the shooter because all the noise is going out in front of you. That poor guy standing beside the muzzle of a 249 ... Ouch.

Also Archer. "Mawp. Mawp."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ilmucche posted:

I have bad tinnitus. Armored vehicles are loud.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
On my first deployment we were given little foam cones to shove in our ears. These disintegrated within a week or so and I was left to stuff wet toilet paper in my ears for several weeks.

On my last deployment, we had magic earplugs that I can only describe as black magic wizardry. You could have a conversation in a normal voice with someone while they filter out BIG explosions and autocannon fire.

In conclusion I do not have any hearing loss.

Game owns hard.

Has (or had, at least) lots of bugs.

Even my wife played it and loved it, she found the main guy "hot" so I guess opinions vary on that.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 31st July 1918 posted:

Advance Parties rendezvoused at Bn. H.Q. in the afternoon and went forward to take over from the 10th Royal Fusiliers prior to our going into the Front Line.
:ohdear:

Killed/wounded/missing this month : 27 (about 3%)

August's diary entries are in faded handwriting. This going to be fun!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Not pictured here, but reminds me I really want a bayonet lug for my shotgun. Problem is, the military one for the Remington 870 costs more than the gun. There's a gif of a guy spearing a cabbage with a Mossberg 590 (comes with a bayonet lug) and pulling the trigger-- instant sauerkraut.

Also when I get the mount for the 870 riot gun, wanna modify it to use an SMLE bayonet longer than the barrel. Surely some machinist/blacksmith Goon could make 'em for a reasonable price, but I'd need blueprints.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

At least they won't be in spidery formal writing you swear nobody would ever read!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Clarence posted:

:ohdear:

Killed/wounded/missing this month : 27 (about 3%)

In July? Or in August? If you meant July, is this from random artillery fire mostly?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

On my last deployment, we had magic earplugs that I can only describe as black magic wizardry. You could have a conversation in a normal voice with someone while they filter out BIG explosions and autocannon fire.

In conclusion I do not have any hearing loss.

Oh those must be the active hearing protection they were talking about, unless your black magic earplugs were just a different kind of foam.

I can only assume they work the same way regular noise cancellation does but tuned up to filter out explosive shockwaves rather than, say, air conditioning.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Loezi posted:

Hard to say without a map. There's obviously the monastery at Valamo, but that wouldn't fit the bill.

These are actually from a Valaam archipelago island, in the woods a couple km from the development on the island

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fun fact, apparently part of the personal kit carried by your average French Napoleonic soldier was a tiny hook tool used for twisting the buttons for their gaiters/splatterdashes.
Wait, could that have been used as a nail?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Remulak posted:

Wait, could that have been used as a nail?

It could of now, it looks like a very crude sort of hook.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Watching some InRange videos, Ian McCollum actually has a book on the history of mud loving up military operations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

chitoryu12 posted:

Watching some InRange videos, Ian McCollum actually has a book on the history of mud loving up military operations.

Wasn't Agincourt or Poitiers all about the mud? I thought one of the major battles was decided because the french had to cross a shitload of thigh deep mud which meant they were picked off or exhausted by the time they got to the enemy lines

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks we're getting the band back together. Looking for one (1) Sick Man.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

HorrificExistence posted:

These are actually from a Valaam archipelago island, in the woods a couple km from the development on the island

Cool, found it. It's what remains of the Niikkana garrison buildings/battery, which was one of the two gun batteries on the Valamo main island. The buildings were completed in 1936 and housed some 100 men. It was damages during the Winter War and finally blown up by retreating Soviet forces in 1941. More pictures (both historical and modern) here.

Map of the surrounding area:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't Agincourt or Poitiers all about the mud? I thought one of the major battles was decided because the french had to cross a shitload of thigh deep mud which meant they were picked off or exhausted by the time they got to the enemy lines

Yeah, that was Agincourt. It was fought on freshly plowed fields after a storm turned them to mud. The French not only struggled to cross it while under longbow fire, the knights often couldn't stand back up if they fell and some supposedly drowned in their helmets.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Loezi posted:

Cool, found it. It's what remains of the Niikkana garrison buildings/battery, which was one of the two gun batteries on the Valamo main island. The buildings were completed in 1936 and housed some 100 men. It was damages during the Winter War and finally blown up by retreating Soviet forces in 1941. More pictures (both historical and modern) here.

Map of the surrounding area:

That's it! Thanks for the awesome research. The area is so rugged and peaceful, it's hard to imagine the war touched it, even though Ladoga would become a major naval theatre for Russian convoys to Leningrad, and the area around the battery was definitely thrashed by some high explosives, thanks for the info.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Developer is a gamergater, directed abuse towards the wonderful https://twitter.com/medievalpoc?lang=en when she asked about diversity in the game, and has the following perks in the game. Even if the game is good, it doesn't deserve anyone's money.

quote:

Manly Odour

Manly Odour is one of the Main Level perks in the game Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Description
When dirty, you'll have 50% more Charisma when talking to women. However, people will smell you a mile off, reducing your Stealth skill by 30%.

quote:

Alpha Male

Result
Charisma +2
Duration
???
Alpha Male is a buff in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Description
Your needs have been satisfied and it shows. You're feeling self-confident.

How to Obtain
Visit a bathhouse and purchase the "special services" of their bathmaids.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
The game seems somewhat tight historically for a video game, but the gameplay is really weak. Might give up my run and go play The Witcher for a better game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Developer is a gamergater, directed abuse towards the wonderful https://twitter.com/medievalpoc?lang=en when she asked about diversity in the game, and has the following perks in the game. Even if the game is good, it doesn't deserve anyone's money.

is this satire

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Witcher 1 best Witcher.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, that was Agincourt. It was fought on freshly plowed fields after a storm turned them to mud. The French not only struggled to cross it while under longbow fire, the knights often couldn't stand back up if they fell and some supposedly drowned in their helmets.

If it weren't for Mud Napoleon's grand battery would have opened fire starting Waterloo much sooner buying the French more time to deal with one army before the next one. If the ground was less damp too the casualties to the Battalion squares would have been even more horrifying.

In an alternate reality where Paganism thrived and turned into a more structured religion the European gods of war would have at least have one mud guy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

bewbies posted:

is this satire

With retweets like this

The account feels like satire. The 5 languages are English, British, Pictish, Irish and Latin - with more than half seemingly brought in by invaders, it seems unlikely like you can show British isles as evidence of multiculturalism.

Also, that "illuminated ages" hastag :eyerolls:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JcDent posted:

The account feels like satire. The 5 languages are English, British, Pictish, Irish and Latin - with more than half seemingly brought in by invaders, it seems unlikely like you can show British isles as evidence of multiculturalism.

Also, that "illuminated ages" hastag :eyerolls:

It's quite polemical, sure, but I don't exactly see what 'being brought in by invaders' has to do with contradicting multiculturalism. A lot of (maybe all?) multicultural landscapes are the product of historical violence. If you rule out Latin from consideration in 7th century Britain, you might as well rule out English and Spanish from consideration in the modern day US.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TropicalCoke posted:

The game seems somewhat tight historically for a video game, but the gameplay is really weak. Might give up my run and go play The Witcher for a better game.

Witcher 3 is more historically authentic than many games set in the real world.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fangz posted:

It's quite polemical, sure, but I don't exactly see what 'being brought in by invaders' has to do with contradicting multiculturalism. A lot of (maybe all?) multicultural landscapes are the product of historical violence. If you rule out Latin from consideration in 7th century Britain, you might as well rule out English and Spanish from consideration in the modern day US.

Also I am pretty sure the multiple Gaelic nations had their own culture too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fangz posted:

Yeah, but you can't put up English as a sign of US multiculturalism. Spanish would count, but the US today can't really be called as an example of peaceful multiculturalism.

That tweet just seems naively idealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also I am pretty sure the multiple Gaelic nations had their own culture too.
england, ireland, scotland, and wales have always been the same thing and the people in them will in no way punch me if i go into their bars and tell them this