Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Motto posted:

the fact that, as software, games can be deconstructed, modified, or recreated for the sake of alteration or reimagining by theoretically anyone on a level not realistically possible for most other mediums is a good and interesting thing about games, and wrt non-commercial efforts they're either reliant upon or, in the case of decompilations, actively part of preservation.

and frankly if we're talking nintendo, it's remakes like OOT3D and LA Switch that are way more likely to get lost to the sands of time since it's way easier to slap a rom onto whatever bad retro game service they have a decade from now than port something from more advanced hardware. the "intended experience" of nintendo's billion visual and hardware gimmicks are way more of a potential loss than the artistic heresy of gameboys with backlights.

You already have the OOT3D version getting lost because the one on Switch Online is based on the Gamecube port that had things like the changed block icon.

e: I, on the other hand, attacked the Original Artistic Vision by playing it on a 2DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dunks are all well and good but we don't need to hear the same dunk several times in a row I think

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Alxprit posted:

Dunks are all well and good but we don't need to hear the same dunk several times in a row I think

I keep walking into the acorn and the dunk text pops up

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In the spirit of Zelda we need to collect between 3-8 dunks to progress to the next stage of the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Seriously.

I have to just pretend that it's all a huge joke/shitpost.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Playing Bloodborne on my PS5, loving FURIOUS that the versimilitude is ruined because I don't have 20 seconds to text girls on tinder after every death while the game loads.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MokBa posted:

Playing Bloodborne on my PS5, loving FURIOUS that the versimilitude is ruined because I don't have 20 seconds to text girls on tinder after every death while the game loads.

The funny thing is, I've actually gotten angry at PS5 games for loading too fast after getting used to them on PS4. Respect my attention deficit and stop popping me back into the game just as I reflexively check my phone, dammit :arghfist:

(no, I don't actually think that's a problem on the games' end)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

The cultural vandalism is when the original art is memory-holed. Playing derivative works to the exclusion of the original is just depriving yourself - except insofar as Gameing culture makes the pursuit of "technical improvement" mainstream at the expense of source material.

Except, by your definition, cultural vandalism occurs the first time a game is patched in any way and becomes derivative at that moment. Even if it's to stop game-breaking bugs on Day One that made players unable to fully experience the art piece as it was intended for them to enjoy.

This also completely fails in games that have Alpha and Beta tests and feedback, where the player's "definitive" experience is a feature-incomplete build that can evolve daily.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The funny thing is, I've actually gotten angry at PS5 games for loading too fast after getting used to them on PS4. Respect my attention deficit and stop popping me back into the game just as I reflexively check my phone, dammit :arghfist:

(no, I don't actually think that's a problem on the games' end)

Nothing is more annoying than PS5 ports of PS4 games that have loading screen tips you don't have time to read.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except, by your definition, cultural vandalism occurs the first time a game is patched in any way and becomes derivative at that moment. Even if it's to stop game-breaking bugs on Day One that made players unable to fully experience the art piece as it was intended for them to enjoy.

That's right, because intent doesn't matter in art. This is why preserving patches is so important, and why Live Services are an abomination.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm glad humans will be extinct soon

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DoctorWhat posted:

That's right, because intent doesn't matter in art. This is why preserving patches is so important, and why Live Services are an abomination.

The ephemeral nature of live service games is an essential part of the depth and understanding of them as art, D-, please learn something if you're going to continue this

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I just think Link's Awakening on Switch is a fun game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Shiroc posted:

The ephemeral nature of live service games is an essential part of the depth and understanding of them as art, D-, please learn something if you're going to continue this

Mm, true actually, my mistake; I failed my own holistic approach.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Judge Tesla posted:

Hard agree.

I could never make it through the original because of the unskippable text boxes every time you brush past a pot, combined with the constant menu juggling due to only having two buttons to work with. It just drove me nuts! If that makes me shallow or whatever, then meh. I'll take that L and go play a version of the game that doesn't annoy me.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Judge Tesla posted:

:mods:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

DoctorWhat posted:

intent doesn't matter in art

What the hell does this mean?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They’re trying to say Death of the Author but being very silly about it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The artist does not have sole and overriding proprietorship over how the art is received. If some event alters or recontextualizes an artwork after it leaves the hands of its intentional creators (writer, director, studio, publisher) but before or during its exhibition, too loving bad, that's what the art is now. If you make a movie about the life of Madonna, and Madonna dies unexpectedly the morning the movie is set to release, it doesn't matter whether you intended to make a memorial or just a celebration; it's a memorial now and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I never would have played Link’s Awakening without the Switch version since I never got to it on Game Boy. I’m glad I got to have a version of a pocket adventure in a doomed dream world.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

The artist does not have sole and overriding proprietorship over how the art is received. If some event alters or recontextualizes an artwork after it leaves the hands of its intentional creators (writer, director, studio, publisher) but before or during its exhibition, too loving bad, that's what the art is now. If you make a movie about the life of Madonna, and Madonna dies unexpectedly the morning the movie is set to release, it doesn't matter whether you intended to make a memorial or just a celebration; it's a memorial now and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Death of the Author cannot apply in good faith for any work of art where an author is actively and continually profiting off of it. Say some extremist author writes a work about their views, but their views are so extreme that it's considered satire by the public at large. The profits from everyone buying that book as satire are still going to fund the original author's extremist views. This is not something that you can just shrug and go "Well, interpretation matters and not intent" because you are actively funding the intent.

Death of the Author only matters if the Author is actually dead, basically.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DanielCross posted:

Death of the Author cannot apply in good faith for any work of art where an author is actively and continually profiting off of it. Say some extremist author writes a work about their views, but their views are so extreme that it's considered satire by the public at large. The profits from everyone buying that book as satire are still going to fund the original author's extremist views. This is not something that you can just shrug and go "Well, interpretation matters and not intent" because you are actively funding the intent.

What if I :filez: it though

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That, and also you could say the author is a zombie, having lost control of their work's reception but still manipulating the revenue to some end, confused or not. Such a thing could be realized and then further countermanded by piracy and counter donations and works made in response, like some zombie author who's become a shambling ecology of funguses and plants eating it as it eats others (and a bird nesting in one of it's eye sockets just for fun).

Schrodinger's author's moving terrarium. This has all both been very thoughtful and good shitposts on both sides (but for real, ironically or not).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's impossible to return a work of art to its original context, because that context includes a society that is constantly subject to change. Curation is the act of placing art in a new context with some goal in mind. That goal is not necessarily to reconstruct a facsimile of some "original" experience, however.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Both the artist's intent and all the things they said without realizing it super matter and aren't mutually exclusive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If I don't play LOZ with a smearing of potato chip oil on my hands while my older brother wails on me to relinquish the controller, I don't even consider it playing the game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DanielCross posted:

What does any of that have to do with what I said, which is that authors do not have absolute omnipotent power over how their work is received and understood?

The circumstances under which that art is received also shape the art itself; it's a holistic process. This doesn't have anything to do with whether it's okay to like Harry Potter or whatever, this is a simple statement of fact. Artists lack the godlike power to dictate the precise circumstances under which audiences receive and interpret their work.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This thread needs a new Zelda game stat

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
It's simple, all of this discussion is pointless because video games are not art.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The thread is in the downfall timeline because we didn’t collect all of the dunks when we had the chance.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
drat there’s a new Zelda out in six months

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
There's only one thing worth taking away from these last few pages and it's that Tal Tal Heights is one of the best songs in the entire Zelda franchise and the Switch remake of Link's Awakening gave us three versions which makes it the best version

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The Merkinman posted:

It's simple, all of this discussion is pointless because video games are not art.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Namnesor posted:

There's only one thing worth taking away from these last few pages and it's that Tal Tal Heights is one of the best songs in the entire Zelda franchise and the Switch remake of Link's Awakening gave us three versions which makes it the best version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqFBUxXmM4
:rock:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

External Organs posted:

This thread needs a new Zelda game stat

Do what I did a few days ago: start BoTW again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

There's no wrong way to experience art, but yours is pretty drat close because it's rooted in pure willful ignorance, which is just about the antithesis of experiencing art itself.

Your definition of your initial first glance at [Piece of Art] is the right one, and nothing else matters, with the key word being your. That means no effort to learn about the origins of the art piece, or context for how and why it came to be that might evolve your understanding and experience, just that first cold read of the piece with a deliberate intent to know nothing beyond seeing it with what you already know and learning anything past that blind experience is somehow derisive because it changes the context from your initial willfully-ignorant first impression.

You fundamentally fail at art.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

zelda

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Shiroc posted:

Oh you stupid kid, you want a Playstation 5 to play God of War? You're going to sit right the down until you complete the curated hits of the Atari 2600 and you learn some loving appreciation.

You absolutely should play Atari 50 instead of God of Bore

https://twitter.com/itstheshadsy/status/1590954045371748352

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 16, 2022

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Games are better than art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's no wrong way to experience art, but yours is pretty drat close because it's rooted in pure willful ignorance, which is just about the antithesis of experiencing art itself.

Your definition of your initial first glance at [Piece of Art] is the right one, and nothing else matters, with the key word being your. That means no effort to learn about the origins of the art piece, or context for how and why it came to be that might evolve your understanding and experience, just that first cold read of the piece with a deliberate intent to know nothing beyond seeing it with what you already know and learning anything past that blind experience is somehow derisive because it changes the context from your initial willfully-ignorant first impression.

You fundamentally fail at art.

This definitely sums up what I was thinking when I first saw that take better than I ever could. In short - sure, art can change its meaning over time, but it's not changing its meaning towards the one you think is right and only that one. How selfish!