Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok Ill have it looked at, thanks.

Another thing I thought of is when we bought it last year, sharp turns felt like the bigger tires were rubbing up against the wheel well. This trip today it feels considerably worse and even moderate to tight turns get that rubbing feeling, but a bit harder.

Do your tires show signs of actual rubbing? Or the wheel wells?

If there's no actual rubbing, it's almost certainly a wheel bearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Do your tires show signs of actual rubbing? Or the wheel wells?

If there's no actual rubbing, it's almost certainly a wheel bearing.

I took a look today and honestly didnt see any, and we were driving through rain and slush. Thank you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Jack that corner of the car up and try to move the wheel in and out (like push on the top/pull on the bottom and vice versa).

If there's any play at all there, stop driving it immediately.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sleepy gary posted:

Do thermostats typically control coolant flow to the heater core along with the rest of the loop? More specifically, a 2014 Nissan Versa Note.

My mother has this piece of poo poo with a rebuild transmission that is only like 5000 miles old, and they may have put on a transmission oil cooler as part of that work, I have no idea. Lately she says the temp gauge is going up to two notches below red, and goes right back down with the heat on. The shop is telling her it's the transmission again. I'm doubtful of that, but I do think the new transmission is already dying coincidentally. I'm thinking thermostat, but it's hard to know without being there to see it myself. She needs the car to last another 3 or 4 months.

The only times I've seen cars actually control flow to the heater core is if the HVAC box is set up such that there's no way to block airflow to the heater core. Even then, that's a valve controlled by the HVAC controls, and it's not on the thermostat-controlled side of the system. The thermostat can only limit flow to the radiator to warm the engine up quicker; anything that's on the engine side only, like the hoses to the heater core, will get full flow as soon as the engine is running.

Tl;dr the act of turning the heater on is providing enough extra cooling to reduce the overheat condition, but it isn't changing anything else about the cooling system.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Korwen posted:

We're new to driving in areas where they salt the roads regularly. We just took a weekend trip and our car (2021 Mazda CX-5) is absolutely covered in salt and dirt (thanks Pittsburgh).

Having lived my life terrified of rust up to this point, when is the correct point to clean the car's exterior? Tomorrow it will be above freezing for part of the day, Tuesday it'll be above 40, and it'll be above freezing (and raining!) the rest of the week.

Consider treating the underside with something anti-corrosive, something oil based. That's done in summertime though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

salt sucks. colorado does fine without salting anything

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hate salt too, at least this year it's been too cold to use salt a lot of the time. Drove here this weekend, real nice driving conditions IMO. Zero need to salt this.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cactus Ghost posted:

salt sucks. colorado does fine without salting anything

Lmao, ok. You dont get incredibly wet lake effect snow.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Will the fenders/bumper/grille etc (body parts) from a 2003 GMC 1500 fit on a 2500HD?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yes, they will. I used the tailgate from a GMC to replace one on an.04 Silverado 2500HD.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had to jump my mother-in-law's Honda Crosstour today. Is this carbon pile load tester sufficient for figuring out if she has a bad battery or just did something to drain it by accident? https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Voltmeter-Indicator-Alligator-Motorcycles/dp/B0BK7SHH82/

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I want a sedan with clearance for fire roads.

(I have learned my lesson about low bodywork and rocks when I got booboos on my optima.)

What should I look at that already has some height? What should I look at that can be lifted a touch and given smaller wheels and bigger tires than the dubs that come on everything these days?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
https://priusoffroad.com/

Prius with a lift kit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Car theft is starting to become more common around here. Not that it didn't exist before, its just now more so than before.

Is there something I can do to make it slightly more difficult for my truck to get jacked?

I'm not interested in getting an alarm.

I was thinking something more like a hidden kill switch, but one that won't make me have to reset the radio stations every time I get in to it.
Its effectiveness will of course depend on whether or not I actually use it all the time rather than for a few months and then stop bothering with it.

Its manual trans. Is something like another switch inline with the clutch safety switch practical?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Its manual trans.

You're all set for antitheft devices.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

opengl posted:

You're all set for antitheft devices.

Sure if a MILLENIAL tries to steal it!!

That might make it a bit harder, but I'm still not convinced.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Greg12 posted:

I want a sedan with clearance for fire roads.

(I have learned my lesson about low bodywork and rocks when I got booboos on my optima.)

What should I look at that already has some height? What should I look at that can be lifted a touch and given smaller wheels and bigger tires than the dubs that come on everything these days?

Smaller wheels and bigger tires wont give you any additional clearance since its just trading one for the other.

Still, you want a 2005-2007 Subaru Outback Sedan. Thats the car.

Other options include a Buick LeSabre with snow tires.

Finally, get a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic and drop the rear end from an F150 and some suspension lift into it. Play metal in your luxury car in the woods. Everyone has their own cigarette lighter. Unfortunately you need to start smoking for this option.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I recommend the MagnaVolt security system

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

Car theft is starting to become more common around here. Not that it didn't exist before, its just now more so than before.

Is there something I can do to make it slightly more difficult for my truck to get jacked?

I was thinking something more like a hidden kill switch, but one that won't make me have to reset the radio stations every time I get in to it.
Its effectiveness will of course depend on whether or not I actually use it all the time rather than for a few months and then stop bothering with it.

Its manual trans. Is something like another switch inline with the clutch safety switch practical?

I had something like this in an old Toyota of mine:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/simple-diy-install-can-make-your-car-impossible-to-steal/

The switch was hidden under the cover of the handbrake, only accessible with one finger when it was engaged.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I got this red key / lever thing in my Saab 900 which is a car model notorious for being easily broken into, installed by the PO. It interrupts the ignition basically, take it with you and the car won't start even if you get into it and have the keys.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

His Divine Shadow posted:

my Saab 900 which is a car model notorious for being easily broken into
Dad's Saab 99 had an ignition lock that was so worn at the end of the car's life that it could be started with a popsicle stick.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Smaller wheels and bigger tires wont give you any additional clearance since its just trading one for the other.

Still, you want a 2005-2007 Subaru Outback Sedan. Thats the car.

Other options include a Buick LeSabre with snow tires.

Finally, get a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic and drop the rear end from an F150 and some suspension lift into it. Play metal in your luxury car in the woods. Everyone has their own cigarette lighter. Unfortunately you need to start smoking for this option.

bigger tires will keep my sidewalls from getting blown out and my wheels from getting hosed. they will also look humorous.

adding clearance allows bigger tires

smaller wheels also allow bigger tires

thank you for answering my q tho. is a towncar also compatible with f150 parts?

also correct for values of prius that equal sedan. ty.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wesleywillis posted:

switch that interrupts power to the fuel pump, if it's fuel injection

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Greg12 posted:

bigger tires will keep my sidewalls from getting blown out and my wheels from getting hosed. they will also look humorous.

thank you for answering my q tho. is a towncar also compatible with f150 parts?

also correct for values of prius that equal sedan. ty.

Yeah, the town car, crown Vic and G Marquis are all the same car and share a lot with similar era 2x4 F-150s. Theres a ton of info out there about turning panther platform (above sedans) into off-roaders and rally cars

E: also (I think. Pretty sure. Grain of salt) panther platforms shared engines with mustangs of each respective generation, so performance stuff should be easy to find

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 23, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Greg12 posted:

A buddy of mine has a crosstrek (which I don't care much for as a model) that he put 14 or 15s on with tires at the stock outside diameter. It looks fuckin dope and he said it's awesome on gravel because of that extra little bit of suspension.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What would be the best place to sell an inoperable car? My 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid with barely 100k miles on it supposedly had the transmission just fuckin completely poo poo the bed out of the blue and the dealership quoted me $17k to replace the hybrid CVT so thats not gonna happen. I will probably get a second opinion and see if theres any angle I can work with insurance, but supposing I have this car with two brand new tires on it and a body in good shape etc that cant be driven, what is the best way to get maximum cash for it? I assume it wont be much in any case but something would be nice.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Craigslist, Kijiji, FB marketplace.

It's a car that runs but doesn't drive because of the transmission issue. It's not worth much. A junkyard might give you a few hundred.

Try and see if you can find other ones for sale with similar problem, price accordingly, be willing to negotiate.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
For more enthusiast minded cars, you can sometimes do a bit better shopping it on specialty forums to people who want specific parts and have the know-how to take it out themselves, but not sure if a 2011 Fusion fits that bill. At the very least, checking craisgslist/fb marketplace for similar stuff, throwing it up in the same ballpark, and sifting through the crazies in case one of them wants to give you money for it won't hurt/cost you much. Also don't know much of the context here, but I'd imagine catastrophic transmission failure would be something that would give warning signs. If it's not too inconvenient, getting a second opinion might not hurt, especially since dealers are incentivized to tell you your car is broken.

Can anyone recommend a good Honda mechanic in Queens? All of the people in the NYC thread live in New Jersey and hate cars.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

LegoMan posted:

Well I'm pretty sure a fuel line isn't supposed to look like that, and on initial thought it was what was limiting the gas to my carb.

So I replaced the entire line with 1/4" started it up, and now it won't go above 2400 RPM without dying.

Only things left to do are swap out the Weber carb for another I bought a while back and see if that has anything to do with it or blow out the pickup screen

Clean the carb jets maybe

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Invalido posted:

Dad's Saab 99 had an ignition lock that was so worn at the end of the car's life that it could be started with a popsicle stick.

Half of a scissor is another classic

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cactus Ghost posted:

switch that interrupts power to the fuel pump, if it's fuel injection

That is the way when engine operation needs to be controlled, yep. In the small Cessna airplane I learn on, part of preflight or parking checklists is to turn a ball valve allowing or shutting off flow of fuel from the tanks.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

DildenAnders posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Honda mechanic in Queens? All of the people in the NYC thread live in New Jersey and hate cars.

TM&T Tire in Astoria. We used them exclusively for my wife's civic when we lived out there and they did excellent work.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

For my BMW I thought of a hidden magnetic switch to the coil or starter that I could just put a magnet on the dash to allow it to start. My distributor has an bluetooth immobilize option that'll probably never use because sure as poo poo I'll forget about it and wonder why my car isn't starting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LegoMan posted:

For my BMW I thought of a hidden magnetic switch to the coil or starter that I could just put a magnet on the dash to allow it to start. My distributor has an bluetooth immobilize option that'll probably never use because sure as poo poo I'll forget about it and wonder why my car isn't starting.

I had this thought for my car 20 years ago and looked into it, you're looking for a reed switch to be able to activate it as you describe.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for all the suggestions Re: anti-theft poo poo.

Personally I was thinking of something (another switch) inline with, either up stream or down stream of the clutch safety switch and the clutch cancel button So that pushing the clutch in or hitting the clutch cancel button wouldn't start it unless the secret switch is also flipped in the right direction.

That being said I'll take a look at some of the other stuff suggested and try to come up with something.

Its 2 1/2 years old right now so I don't want to gently caress with the wiring too much at the moment lest Toyota try to deny me a warranty claim or something but maybe I can come up with something. The fuel pump shut off is an interesting idea.

If easily accessible, I could pull the fuse and put a jumper wire in there (with inline fuse of same amperage) and put a switch on that wire, hidden somewhere. It would be easily reversible and repairable at the side of the road if it malfunctioned. All I'd have to do is pull the jumper wire out and replace the fuse in that spot.

Anyone know if thats an awful idea? Would the extra wire length mess something up like there might be too much resistance and the fuel pump doesn't get quite enough juice to run properly or something dumb?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions Re: anti-theft poo poo.

Personally I was thinking of something (another switch) inline with, either up stream or down stream of the clutch safety switch and the clutch cancel button So that pushing the clutch in or hitting the clutch cancel button wouldn't start it unless the secret switch is also flipped in the right direction.

That being said I'll take a look at some of the other stuff suggested and try to come up with something.

Its 2 1/2 years old right now so I don't want to gently caress with the wiring too much at the moment lest Toyota try to deny me a warranty claim or something but maybe I can come up with something. The fuel pump shut off is an interesting idea.

If easily accessible, I could pull the fuse and put a jumper wire in there (with inline fuse of same amperage) and put a switch on that wire, hidden somewhere. It would be easily reversible and repairable at the side of the road if it malfunctioned. All I'd have to do is pull the jumper wire out and replace the fuse in that spot.

Anyone know if thats an awful idea? Would the extra wire length mess something up like there might be too much resistance and the fuel pump doesn't get quite enough juice to run properly or something dumb?

I think this is all kinda not a great idea, just put a whatever bar thing across your steering wheel and they'll break into the next car anyways. Someone especially who isn't very familiar with this getting into your car and trying to jump start by ripping wires out around your ignitiont is going to do enough damage that you'll almost wish they did steal it. Way better to just put some big dumb bar on your steering wheel and cross your fingers, IMO.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

I think this is all kinda not a great idea, just put a whatever bar thing across your steering wheel and they'll break into the next car anyways. Someone especially who isn't very familiar with this getting into your car and trying to jump start by ripping wires out around your ignitiont is going to do enough damage that you'll almost wish they did steal it. Way better to just put some big dumb bar on your steering wheel and cross your fingers, IMO.

You may be right, but if the news reports are to be believed, the operations are more sophisticated than just some crackhead wanting to go for a joyride.
They use computer haxor skillz to do some science poo poo with your keys and ignitions and a gang of other poo poo. Specific vehicles are being targeted. If I'm not mistaken the other day 5 7 F150s got jacked in the same city roughly similar geographic area. And other high end stuff (I guess some might consider an F150 to be high end) is being targeted too.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/7-ford-f-150s-stolen-in-central-ontario-in-one-busy-night-1.6738022

Again, I don't know how true it is, but if you listen to the news reports this is pretty organized and sophisticated and not some low level car theft poo poo.
Recently he cops have made a few busts of cars that are getting jacked, stuck in containers and getting shipped overseas.
I guess if they want it they're going to get it regardless. I'm not disagreeing that a whatever bar across the steering wheel will be a deterrent but its not that hard to hacksaw through a steering wheel.

Take note that despite what I might sound like I'm not panicking over this, but I do want to do something to make it a bit more difficult to steal my poo poo.
Even if I get a full pay out from insurance I've got about 10Gs in mods (lockers, air compressor etc) that wouldn't be covered by my insurance as they'll only cover up to 1500$ for aftermarket poo poo.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

You may be right, but if the news reports are to be believed, the operations are more sophisticated than just some crackhead wanting to go for a joyride.
They use computer haxor skillz to do some science poo poo with your keys and ignitions and a gang of other poo poo. Specific vehicles are being targeted. If I'm not mistaken the other day 5 7 F150s got jacked in the same city roughly similar geographic area. And other high end stuff (I guess some might consider an F150 to be high end) is being targeted too.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/7-ford-f-150s-stolen-in-central-ontario-in-one-busy-night-1.6738022

Again, I don't know how true it is, but if you listen to the news reports this is pretty organized and sophisticated and not some low level car theft poo poo.
Recently he cops have made a few busts of cars that are getting jacked, stuck in containers and getting shipped overseas.
I guess if they want it they're going to get it regardless. I'm not disagreeing that a whatever bar across the steering wheel will be a deterrent but its not that hard to hacksaw through a steering wheel.

Take note that despite what I might sound like I'm not panicking over this, but I do want to do something to make it a bit more difficult to steal my poo poo.
Even if I get a full pay out from insurance I've got about 10Gs in mods (lockers, air compressor etc) that wouldn't be covered by my insurance as they'll only cover up to 1500$ for aftermarket poo poo.

If your truck is that new, it probably has an immobilizer anyway which is far better protection than any hidden switch stuff you'll come up with. If anything the thieves targeting newer higher end cars will just put it on a flatbed and drive away, then cut it up for parts. Buy a good GPS tracker system instead or one of those two way alarms that alert you when they are triggered.

And also as that article states, it's probably relay theft where you use a device that amplifies and transmits the keyfob signal from inside your house to the car/truck. Just put your keyfob in a closed metal box at home and it won't work.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 24, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You can always take the batteries out of your key fobs. You can still start the car and unlock it and all that, but it doesnt have a powered antenna anymore, so you cant amplify it through a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I had a glitchy ignition relay in my Ranger years back that took me ages to track down. Every time it rained, or was really humid, and then cooled off over night, the truck could only be bump started and then it was fine.

So maybe just pull your ignition relay every time you park it.

Maybe that would gently caress something up though.