Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

fart simpson posted:

you should check your compiler binaries into source control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like seriously what do you do when you need to ship a hotfix for the version of the product you shipped five years ago

you can't exactly build it with today's toolchain, and i hope your toolchain has moved since then

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

fart simpson posted:

maybe you should check your compiler binaries into source control if it's causing this much of an issue

A+ troll

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dessert Rose posted:

like seriously what do you do when you need to ship a hotfix for the version of the product you shipped five years ago

you can't exactly build it with today's toolchain, and i hope your toolchain has moved since then

p. sure it has been two PL threads since i made precisely this point in a serious way and angered an awful lot of people

remains true that more version control and a more unified version control (i.e. all tools, builds, documentation, requirement documents, training videos, wikis etc should be kept in a very strictly held together versioning tree, and a lot of binary/artifact tracking poo poo are flawed bandaids)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

well like how are you even configuring your development environment in the first place? are you having every developer follow some steps on a wiki, downloading each component of the toolchain individually?

if you're at all competent you've got some command that sets up the entire build environment in one step, downloading and configuring all your tools

at that point why not just make sure to snapshot that state when you ship something?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dessert Rose posted:

if your toolchain is not re-creatable at will you're a jackass. i would use an artifact repository rather than source control, though.

binaries have semantic versions, not diffs and commit logs. source control is just the wrong tool for the job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dessert Rose posted:

well like how are you even configuring your development environment in the first place? are you having every developer follow some steps on a wiki, downloading each component of the toolchain individually?

if you're at all competent you've got some command that sets up the entire build environment in one step, downloading and configuring all your tools

at that point why not just make sure to snapshot that state when you ship something?

configuration management and package repositories.

i don't want a snapshot of the first developer's workstation from 1998. i want to know, precisely, that version 2.6.4 of my product is intended to be built with gcc 4.4.7-11.el6.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 13, 2015

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

this seriously seems like 201 level poo poo, my work's build system sucks but at least we get that right, i can pull down the entire toolchain used to ship every release for the last ten years when i check out the branch that that release shipped out of

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dessert Rose posted:

this seriously seems like 201 level poo poo, my work's build system sucks but at least we get that right, i can pull down the entire toolchain used to ship every release for the last ten years when i check out the branch that that release shipped out of

this is some real clownshoes poo poo right here

it's better than nothing but holy lol

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if your toolchain is not re-creatable at will you're a jackass. i would use an artifact repository rather than source control, though.

binaries have semantic versions, not diffs and commit logs. source control is just the wrong tool for the job

yeah i would agree that source control specifically is suboptimal for this purpose, but it's certainly better than whatever the hell these "omg a compiler update broke our shipping code" chucklefucks are doing

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is some real clownshoes poo poo right here

it's better than nothing but holy lol

trust me, i know

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
with the model of "ship code" with rapidly shifting toolchains it seems like a fine time to bring up failure oblivious computing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do your development in a virtual machine and just check the whole virtual drive into source control. problem fixed.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Dessert Rose posted:

at my last thing we saved vm images of the dev env on that super cheap amazon long term storage thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the talent deficit posted:

at my last thing we saved vm images of the dev env on that super cheap amazon long term storage thing

opaque snapshots are bad. it only solves half the problem

now you can build a hotfix on your five year old branch, but you don't know how or why you can build the hotfix

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If your compiler doesn't have versioned variants of -Werror, I don't know what to say.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

opaque snapshots are bad. it only solves half the problem

now you can build a hotfix on your five year old branch, but you don't know how or why you can build the hotfix

that wasn't our only plan it was just our last resort in case all else failed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i find belt and suspenders rarely works because programmers are lazy as gently caress

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

do your development in a virtual machine and just check the whole virtual drive into source control. problem fixed.

Be sure to check in the source for the virtialization software and its tool chain too!!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also, your processor microcode

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
:patriot:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the combo of nuget and msbuild is pretty bad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/classXapian_1_1DecreasingValueWeightPostingSource.html

oh hey its me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
did anyone post this yet

https://togototo.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/fulfilling-a-pikedream-the-ups-of-downs-of-porting-50k-lines-of-c-to-go/

quote:

The pros

Emacs! ... Since one of my reasons for getting into programming was the opportunity to get paid to use Emacs, this is definitely a huge plus. ... Emacs + Go == parametric polymorphism: not only can macros be used to speed up the process of generating the “copy-paste” code that Go’s lack of parametric polymorphism requires, if functions are written right then regex can also be used to update all “copy-pasted” functions simultaneously, making updating the code for fooInt, fooFloat and fooDouble almost as easy as updating foo<t> in a language that supports <t>. The downside is that, while Emacs macros and regex can write and modify Go code in such a manner as to emulate parametric polymorphism, it’s still not as readable or concise as actually-polymorphic code, and of course is not easily maintainable by someone lacking familiarity with regex or an extensible editor like Emacs.

i am never ever using this language

otoh it might be just the thing for xah lee to finally break into software dev

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
is he still alive? last i heard he was homeless and spamming dickpix to shrughes

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
no generic types was an incredibly loving stupid decision

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

quote:

one of my reasons for getting into programming was the opportunity to get paid to use Emacs

:psyboom:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

quote:

The cons

Stockholm syndrome.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Blotto Skorzany posted:

is he still alive? last i heard he was homeless and spamming dickpix to shrughes
he's still getting by on his ad income apparently, elisp with greek-letter hungarian notation seems to be his latest clever idea that nobody will hire him for

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I just wrote a thing in Go. Babby's first interactive website, I think. A custom event management system for my golf group. One thing that's nice about Go is that it's relatively comfortable to use. An exception: It's kind of amazing that people do non-functional programming in languages that don't make it super easy to deep copy objects, like C++ does.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

but it's haaaaaaard

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dessert Rose posted:

but it's haaaaaaard

this is a valid reason not to do something fyi

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

ahmeni posted:

this is a valid reason not to do something fyi

and yet here u r still posting

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

SAHChandler posted:

and yet here u r still posting

ain't nothin difficult about shitpostin

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

sarehu posted:

Oh by the way these guys got into YC W15.

Now they have a hiring post on HN, so I guess they got some kind of funding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what's a good thread to use to ask dumb questions about AI, as a refreshing alternative to asking my coworkers to baby-talk at me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

what's a good thread to use to ask dumb questions about AI, as a refreshing alternative to asking my coworkers to baby-talk at me?

this ain't confluence just post post post