Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have a Crayon too and have been eyeing a Soul Food! Can you tell me how you'd compare the two? I know the Crayon is more MIAB vs the Klon sound but how do you use them?

Also those Small Stones look groovy as now but I still prefer my old style one for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a Crayon too and have been eyeing a Soul Food! Can you tell me how you'd compare the two? I know the Crayon is more MIAB vs the Klon sound but how do you use them?

Also those Small Stones look groovy as now but I still prefer my old style one for some reason.

It could be just the way I have them dialed in, but the Soul Food seems to let more of the natural clean sound of the guitar through especially on the lower strings. I got the Crayon thinking the extra knob would let me dial back the bass enough and lean towards the treble side of things, and it does, but it sounds way more processed and "fake" but brighter than the Soul Food if that makes sense?

I don't really have a use for them per se, other than wanting a nice general overdriven rock guitar sound to play with which both of them accomplish very nicely and is why I can't decide which I like better. They seem to stack very well together with both of them on if that's your thing too: they almost sound better that way! I did see internet mention of using the Crayon as a ghetto boost of sorts which kinda works and why it's before the Soul Food, but I wouldn't use it to boost a cleaner tone. I'm sure you know if you max the Crayon enough by itself it can sound like you're playing through a lovely little radio speaker or something.

And yeah if it wasn't immediately obvious with the Small Stone and Fuzz Face I am badly tone chasing 60s/70s Psychedelic and Hard Rock along with having the essential basics. Which is why I am considering a tremolo then loving stopping buying pedals for a bit because this is more than enough to mess around with to make cool rock noises.

I am a massive noob with this stuff too, so take all of the above with a heaping mound of salt and feel free to correct me on any of it goons.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's basically what i use a soul food for, as a clean boost that doesn't have a spike in the 720hz area like tubescreamer style overdrives

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Why have the loop station in the beginning? If you put it last, you can loop with one set of effects and play over that with another.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Siivola posted:

Why have the loop station in the beginning? If you put it last, you can loop with one set of effects and play over that with another.

Because Google! When I first got the loop station I googled for suggestions on where to put it and found an endless internet argument for at the end vs at the beginning. At the time being able to switch effects with out having to re-record a loop is what appealed so I put it at the beginning. Of course now that you point out being able to use multiple effects at once by putting it at the end, it makes much more sense to do it that way.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Why not both :smuggo:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Just loop it and have it at both ends.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

gently caress it, post your boards.

I'm a Broughton fan, as you can see.

I've already ordered a Life Pedal clone kit to replace the Rat and the Octavix plus some parts to build another distortion circuit I cooked up. Next, I need to get a tremolo I can squeeze into the upper row, I'm looking at EQD Hummingbird.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Guess the genre...

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

polynominal-c posted:

Guess the genre...

Praise and worship?

Shoegaze?

I’m not up to date I’m sure.😂

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
This:

Will eventually contain these:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

polynominal-c posted:

Guess the genre...
I dunno what it's called but, that Russian Cirles/Caspian noisy reverb soaked type of poo poo. Like Explosions in the Sky with more oomph.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

I dunno what it's called but, that Russian Cirles/Caspian noisy reverb soaked type of poo poo. Like Explosions in the Sky with more oomph.

Yep. That. Plus Sludge plus doom plus black metal haha

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Is the Rat after the ODs or before there? I don't know how those switchers work.

E: didn't even notice the stickers on it, lol

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 28, 2020

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

polynominal-c posted:

Yep. That. Plus Sludge plus doom plus black metal haha
Having 2 reverbs gave it away, haha. The only way it could've been more obvious was if you had a $1000 Strymon or something. Enjoy! :)

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Death Panel Czar posted:

Is the Rat after the ODs or before there? I don't know how those switchers work.

E: didn't even notice the stickers on it, lol

After.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

The small one is for bass. My most useless pedal is the mooer lofi machine.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

This I like since I was going to do the same thing eventually, build a pedal train clone out of wood. But I definitely wouldn't have constructed it as neatly as this, nor used as good a looking woods.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

baby's first guitar pedals on a budget, not sure if I want anything else for now!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

My random mish-mash of mostly cheapo Chinese mini pedals on a wooden board that a local dude makes and peppered with uncontrollable amounts of dog hair

My favourite right now is that tiny Donner metal head that I found at an outlet store for ~$10

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
My bass board.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Turbinosamente posted:

This I like since I was going to do the same thing eventually, build a pedal train clone out of wood. But I definitely wouldn't have constructed it as neatly as this, nor used as good a looking woods.

Thanks! It's walnut and ash, I'm happy with how it's turning out. There's also another vertical walnut piece to go down the middle to brace it, and I've gotta glue it all together. It's joined with mortise and tenon joints. The ash boards will be covered with Velcro, which is sad, but the walnut is the prettiest part.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Here's my stupid messy pedalboard:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's messy as hell and I don't have everything velcroed in yet, but here's the current all-purpose board. The newest is the copper colored Cuvave Fuzz, which is a fantastic little velcro-rippy, 8-bit sounding fuzz. My strategy is to go cheap for stuff where I can, then go for quality and uniqueness when I can't.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

here's what i'm using now; i have another board that's less interesting for my band that actually is doing stuff right now (or was) but this has all my fun toys on it

e: also that zoom multistomp has been replaced with a carcosa fuzz but i'm too lazy to take a new picture

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Y’all fancy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Declan MacManus posted:

e: also that zoom multistomp has been replaced with a carcosa fuzz but i'm too lazy to take a new picture

Dumb question are you able to get anything less than full on doom sounds out of the carcosa? I've still got mine in a box but was never able to dial it back to say, 60s/70s level of fuzz, hence why I switched to a fuzz face. Tried all sorts of knobs on the pedal, amp, and guitar too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Turbinosamente posted:

Dumb question are you able to get anything less than full on doom sounds out of the carcosa? I've still got mine in a box but was never able to dial it back to say, 60s/70s level of fuzz, hence why I switched to a fuzz face. Tried all sorts of knobs on the pedal, amp, and guitar too.

yes! so, the secret is the interplay between the pre and post knobs; the way i used to use it, i got great tweedy neil young sounds out of it, and now i have it set up to do a velcro-y ripping companion fuzz type tone

it takes some tweaking but generally speaking the pre is going to control the character of your fuzz; if you put it up all the way, you're gonna end up with a compressed gated sound (which is good for what i'm doing), and if you dial it back, you'll end up with a saggier more amp like bloom. nailing the interplay between that and the front end of your amp (with the post, which works more like a traditional gain control, and the actual output volume) is where most of the versatility comes from

tldr: turn down the post gain and use the output knob to compensate, and if you're stacking, make sure you use the hali setting

also i realized i wrote "pre" and "post" instead of "before" and "after" but functionally that's what they do so, uh, whatever

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Simone Poodoin posted:

My random mish-mash of mostly cheapo Chinese mini pedals on a wooden board that a local dude makes and peppered with uncontrollable amounts of dog hair

My favourite right now is that tiny Donner metal head that I found at an outlet store for ~$10

Oh jeez, the hair that gets stuck in pedalboards is frightening sometimes. I share a space with an old school metal band and I end up picking hairballs out of my board every time.

Turbinosamente posted:

Carcosa is a really cool fuzz for bass, but I found it took a lot of tweaking to find an ideal sound. One of the two toggle switch modes was basically unusable for bass, but I can't recall which one.

I wish I had kept mine, now that I think about it- hang on to yours, because they're not being made anymore.

edit: Hey look at that, it's a post I made 2 years ago about the Carcosa on bass:

Juaguocio posted:

Here's a starting point: toggle switch up, hi-cut all the way off, bias around noon, fuzz around 1 o'clock, level to taste. Nice thick fuzz with no low-end loss and no fizzy treble.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 4, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

According to a local retailer, DEMHE (switch up) adds bass and mids and is meant for a clean amp, HALI (down) is for a distorted channel.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a Suhr IR/Reactive Load that I traditionally have routed through an interface and used my studio monitors for output in lieu of my Marshall cab. Conveniently right as stay at home orders took effect my interface poo poo the bed so I'm trying to find other options that don't require headphones but let me control volume somewhat.

I'm trying to parse page 5 of the manual here: https://www.suhr.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Reactive_Load_IR-122618.pdf

The "Thru" output specifically states it disables internal load, so I'm assuming this not a volume friendly option.

Of the two DI/Line Out options (unfiltered and IR), are those outputs safe to route back into my cab to use it as a speaker? I'm assuming not but I can't find a clear answer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

edit: Hey look at that, it's a post I made 2 years ago about the Carcosa on bass:

Lmao I'd copied that out to remember for my use, and you got rid of yours?!? Having said that, the guy who made it went on to start https://www.spiralelectricfx.com/ and his pedals are an evolution of the Carcosa design which are said to be even more interesting! I might try one.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ewe2 posted:

Lmao I'd copied that out to remember for my use, and you got rid of yours?!? Having said that, the guy who made it went on to start https://www.spiralelectricfx.com/ and his pedals are an evolution of the Carcosa design which are said to be even more interesting! I might try one.

I had WAY too many dirt pedals at one point. Still should have kept the Carcosa, though.

Also should have kept the Broughton Sunder Fuzz. Superfuzz style circuits sound weird with bass, but I should have held onto it and tried it in the loop of some kind of blend pedal. Still got the Wounded Paw Superfuzzz, which I'm hoping to try with a blender one of these days.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Juaguocio posted:

I had WAY too many dirt pedals at one point. Still should have kept the Carcosa, though.

Also should have kept the Broughton Sunder Fuzz. Superfuzz style circuits sound weird with bass, but I should have held onto it and tried it in the loop of some kind of blend pedal. Still got the Wounded Paw Superfuzzz, which I'm hoping to try with a blender one of these days.

Superfuzz with a blend tho

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Long shot here. I've played and owned many distortion pedals. I have one called the "Grav-A" by Grav Corp. It sounds unlike any distortion I have ever played and I love it. It is also impossible to find any information on.

Basically I can't use it (my friend has earmarked it cause she loves it too) and I'm really hoping it's closely based on something easily available because Jesus it's my perfect high gain drive pedal.

I don't suppose anyone knows anything or can put me in the right direction? Thanks y'all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Long shot here. I've played and owned many distortion pedals. I have one called the "Grav-A" by Grav Corp. It sounds unlike any distortion I have ever played and I love it. It is also impossible to find any information on.

Basically I can't use it (my friend has earmarked it cause she loves it too) and I'm really hoping it's closely based on something easily available because Jesus it's my perfect high gain drive pedal.

I don't suppose anyone knows anything or can put me in the right direction? Thanks y'all.

Take the back off and take detailed pictures of the components, if you can, and post here. We can give it a shot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

This is the best I could do.

https://imgur.com/a/JcHl8fs

Seeing the other side of the PCB means taking off the pots and jacks and stuff which I don't feel comfortable doing.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

syntaxfunction posted:

This is the best I could do.

https://imgur.com/a/JcHl8fs

Seeing the other side of the PCB means taking off the pots and jacks and stuff which I don't feel comfortable doing.

That definitely has two electrolytic capacitors which narrows it down to some kind of electronic circuit (probably).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Grav-A 2 https://imgur.com/a/iFIBrOa

Don't say I never give you nerds any presents :P

For the record the switch that's meant to switch clipping (I guess?) Is broken.

And it's JFET which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

syntaxfunction posted:

It appears to have been a Kickstarted pedal out of Adelaide in Australia, but you already knew that I guess - still explains limited run etc.

However, based on the post the designer made at Hackaday, I think it is probably based on the Pro-Co Rat circuit with Jack Orman's modified Big Muff tone knob instead of the normal filter, and if it's the Rat then there's a good chance the switch is the Keeley 3-Way mod.

The Rat theory being based on the prototype using a similar op-amp (LM301). Could be totally wrong. You might look at this link and see if any of them matching that description have sounds that are similar. You could even look at a Dunwich Volt Thrower maybe.