Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

cams posted:

You're Gil.

Gonna have to listen to this episode again. Right now. Ladies Love Cool Jason Alexander.

Black Shenanigans. We got one note: it's racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Coco13 posted:

Black Shenanigans. We got one note: it's racist.

Russia is famously bad, as a country.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Emily Meurtimeur.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

We are gonna do a scat film.

I'm bummed as hell about it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
My fave PFT impression is still Dame Sir ALW, just for Time Bobbies. I can see why people think Werner Herzog is funny (and I really did enjoy that stretch where he was on Doug Loves Movies for like a month straight) but it's also the only character where I'm really familiar with the real guy and it really isn't that great of an impression.

Richard Harrow will undoubtedly shoot to the top of this list if he keeps doing him.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Do you really feel that 'is a faithful impression' is a requirement for a PFT character to be funny?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y

PFT doesn't really sound like Herzog but he does a good job playing on the man's tone and personality. Tell me the question about penguin insanity from the start of this video doesn't sound like something PFT could have come up with.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Me in Reverse posted:

Do you really feel that 'is a faithful impression' is a requirement for a PFT character to be funny?
Nah, it's familiarity on my part more than anything else. If Ice-T was one of my favorite artists of the last 40 years and I had spent the same amount of time with his body of work since I was a teenager I might feel the same way. Or, for that matter, if I had spent the same amount of time stranded on some island with nothing but a Cake Boss box set for company.

In any case, being low on my "PFT characters" list still means said character is pretty high on my "stuff on podcasts that makes me laugh" list.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

After watching the episodes of Louie he was in, I was surprised that his Garry Marshall was relatively spot-on.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Bleh Jay Mohr. I'll listen to the ep anyway though just because of Matt Besser. :argh:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
New Dad is great!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Bleh Jay Mohr. I'll listen to the ep anyway though just because of Matt Besser. :argh:

Jay Mohr owns, guy. Funny person and good on podcasts, a perfect straight man

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

scary ghost dog posted:

Jay Mohr owns, guy. Funny person and good on podcasts, a perfect straight man

He was great on this one. I loved his reaction to the baby photos.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Thanks for posting this way back. Was just catching up on the show and the thread and assumed they weren't coming here until I actually checked the link.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Jay Mohr rules. Except when he doesn't. Basically what I'm trying to say is, if there was an equivalent of slamming down your old rotary phone but with turning off a podcast, I've done that with Mohr Stories more than a few times. But his alpha male personality leads to some pretty good conversations with a really wide variety of guests.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

But his alpha male personality leads to some pretty good conversations with a really wide variety of guests.

I haven't listened to any podcasts he's been on, but does he really come across as an alpha-male type, or is that just a character? Based on stuff he's written before (particularly his book about SNL), his neuroses and self-loathing make Richard Lewis look normal.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I haven't listened to any podcasts he's been on, but does he really come across as an alpha-male type, or is that just a character? Based on stuff he's written before (particularly his book about SNL), his neuroses and self-loathing make Richard Lewis look normal.

I think he just talks a bunch, and really wants to be in on every bit. It's not so much an alpha male thing as much as he wants to be liked I guess. However in the stories that he and other people tell about when he was young and drunk/hosed up on Nyquil he does kinda come off that way.

edit: I guess he does kinda sound that way on his podcast if he's interviewing a MMA guy or a boxer or someone, but he's also talked about musical theatre and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane at great lengths with other people.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 19, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He has all the normal comedic personality quirks, but he's still pretty jocky. He does host a sports talk radio show after all.

I'd say Jay Mohr is a great podcast host, good actor, and OK stand-up. I'm sure he rubs a lot of comics the wrong way with his personality, but I'm surprised he doesn't get a little more respect considering he and Barry Katz created Last Comic Standing which gave exposure (aka ticket sales) to so many comics.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jay Mohr is one of those guys where I sort of dislike the idea of him but when I actually hear him on the podcast he's pretty enjoyable. The sports references were hilarious. "Jimbo Shrump - oh he coached Florida State."

If he's really a genuine fan of the show I hope they have him on occasionally. It'd be hilarious if he did an episode in character as Norm Macdonald especially because he's absolutely abysmal at staying in character. And nobody else does a Norm.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I thought Mohr was great on the most recent episode. Loved how game he was and its always fun when the two guests turn on Scott.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah Mohr did fantastic. I understood what the people in this thread were worried about, but he really pushed aside his aggressive showrunning persona and rolled with the punches. You can tell he is really a big fan and I hope Besser brings him on I4H.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

You can tell he is really a big fan and I hope Besser brings him on I4H.

I hope he has some strong opinions on bestiality.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Did anyone else think Mohr was repeating "my wife" alot in the first part of the show to try and goad Scott into doing the Borat impression but then Scott decided to do his own bit but not biting and ignoring it? I'm also okay with the answer being that I listen to this show far too much.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Shunkymonky posted:

Did anyone else think Mohr was repeating "my wife" alot in the first part of the show to try and goad Scott into doing the Borat impression but then Scott decided to do his own bit but not biting and ignoring it? I'm also okay with the answer being that I listen to this show far too much.

It sounded like Scott was starting to say something during all he "my wife" talk but got interrupted and never went back to it. No idea if that's where he was going to take it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Shunkymonky posted:

Yeah, when he said "Scott doesn't have a wife" I thought that was a set up for it too. Not sure what else it would be a set up for but Scott forgets sometimes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Mohr ALMOST brought up doing standup at Blizzcon. I wish he'd talked about that.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Hay broooos

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yeeeeessssss. I was praying for this after the DLM they were on together.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
YES!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Somewhat related to CBB: http://instagram.com/p/dV9GA4wiUy/

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

That is entirely too much tuna.

Only made it through the first 20 minutes of the B-B-B-BONUS-S-S-S episode today - is it purely a bro hang episode? Do they play How You Weigh?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

JethroMcB posted:

That is entirely too much tuna.

Only made it through the first 20 minutes of the B-B-B-BONUS-S-S-S episode today - is it purely a bro hang episode? Do they play How You Weigh?

That guy from Jaws 4 and some Scotsman appear about half way through. Can't recall their names though.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lugaloco posted:

That guy from Jaws 4 and some Scotsman appear about half way through. Can't recall their names though.

He's Scottish? He sounded Russian to me. He should play a Russian in a movie. It would be very convincing.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
They did an amazing job, Sean Connery and Michael Caine fit the groove of CBB characters perfectly, I thought.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Yeah that was even better than I expected.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Hey, can you do that famous line from James Bond?"
"...Go gently caress yourself, Blofeld!"

Now I demand that someone make a movie where Simon Pegg plays Michael Caine's son, because that voice work got downright uncanny at times.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

When scott asks Richard Harrow if he is a bit of undigested potato, what is that in reference to? For the life of me, I can't remember.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Dickens' A Christmas Carol. It's what Scrooge asks Marley's ghost during his first visitation.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

"she was only 16 years old"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Nick Kroll is a loving treasure.

And him doing his Stallone voice makes me laugh non stop.

Reminds me of the last time when he showed up. "HEY, IT'S ME, ADRIAN"

Also Pegg and Frost as Caine and Connery were loving hilarious.