Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

This will make fighter carriers probably actually usefull.

I'm not so sure about that. It's pretty funny when there's only one carrier in a match and it has a fighter loadout, especially when it's on the other team. :v:

Luke Johnson posted:

Yeah go for the detection one. It was indispensable in WoT and it's even better here because getting spotted feels even wonkier with planes and smoke.

It's really useful when dealing with Japanese destroyers and you're in a non-Japanese destroyer, because they all have great concealment. Even if you're not specifically hunting down other destroyers, it's good to know that your cover has been blown and every enemy ship in range is turning their turrets in your direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Polikarpov posted:

Really sick of allied BBs spending the whole match taking a blueline pleasure cruise.

I prefer "Tokyo Drifting".

The role of US carriers is going to be interesting post-patch. With dive bombers buffed and powerful Japanese carriers to worry about, it seems like an active carrier-hunting role will actually be useful.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hope they fix fighter balance, or leveling a japanese carrier is gonna be a real pain in the rear end with all the high level american carriers around *and* kitted out for fighter supremacy.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is it just my imagination or is it really difficult to hit ships on the blue line?

I ask as I was happily plugging away at BB the other day in my cruiser but as soon as he got stuck on the blue line I couldn't hit him, I was firing over him all the time and no matter how I corrected it continued to happen.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Burt posted:

Is it just my imagination or is it really difficult to hit ships on the blue line?

I ask as I was happily plugging away at BB the other day in my cruiser but as soon as he got stuck on the blue line I couldn't hit him, I was firing over him all the time and no matter how I corrected it continued to happen.

That is a thing and a couple of goons I know like to exploit it :)

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The role of US carriers is going to be interesting post-patch. With dive bombers buffed and powerful Japanese carriers to worry about, it seems like an active carrier-hunting role will actually be useful.

I guess, but why play the US carrier when you can play the crazy japanese one where you get to nuke 2 ships in one pass?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What is the deal with the St Louis armor ? this thing can soak up damage better than a Cleveland or Pensacola.

Twice now I have been brawling one in my Kongo, the later at point blank range and it just didn't want to die, I had to shell it with like 8 full volley before sinking it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krogort posted:

What is the deal with the St Louis armor ? this thing can soak up damage better than a Cleveland or Pensacola.

Twice now I have been brawling one in my Kongo, the later at point blank range and it just didn't want to die, I had to shell it with like 8 full volley before sinking it.

"St. Louis' and 'armor' don't go together. It sounds to me like you were grossly overpenning it. Use HE on a St. Louis.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I've been switching from one to the other, they did similar damages.

Where is the magazine on this ship ?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Krogort posted:

I've been switching from one to the other, they did similar damages.

Where is the magazine on this ship ?

Everywhere, you can't pen with HE, and if you shoot it with AP you just punch clean through it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Burt posted:

Just so you know, if you're moving and you shoot at a stationary target, if you were camera locked when firing, your shots will drift towards the direction you are traveling. You'll have to compensate for that. This is what throws most people off when they're shooting at people who are stationary or are tokyo drifting on the blue line. Unlocking the camera, dropping speed (don't do this), or adjusting for your ship's movement are necessary for hitting people doing the tokyo drift, and you'll also have to bear in mind that they ARE moving, just very slowly and in an odd angle.

Anyways, leveling up the US destroyers and cruisers now, and it feels so easy its like I'm cheating. I had no idea just how abysmal IJN DDs are. Torp reloads on the high tier DDs really needs to get buffed, it's utterly ridiculous that they have such anemic turrets and the tradeoff they get is decent torpedo damage, neutered by the reload time and slow travel speed.

Just a casual match in the Farragut nets me a slew of kills and I still can drop torpedoes for good effect. And they even do decent damage too. What the hell, wargaming?

It doesn't help that the IJN destroyers are against killbots like the US cruisers, either.

How do people do BAD in the Cleveland? I mean, unless you get blapped by a enemy BB or something, you can murderzone everyone. And I'm supposed to somehow survive this poo poo in an IJN DD while I wait 2 minutes to reload torps against a manueverable cruiser? Argh.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

7 long range salvoes in a row from my Kongo were bang on target, and every single shell in all 7 salvoes exploded harmlessly in the ocean around the Mogami. loving simulators.

e: Does anyone know if the ships as they appear in port are all to the same scale? I ask because I just flicked between my Cleveland and Independence, and despite being a slightly lengthened Cleveland hull historically, in port the Independence is significantly shorter than the Cleveland.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 9, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Krogort posted:

My best ever game, in a DD none the less.
I am terrible at aiming torps (or the ennemy is good at avoiding them) and could have gotten another BB if I was somehow competent.
Still managed to gun down a damaged Cleveland and Adoba in a 2v1 match, my proudest moment.
I quite like the Gremyashchiy with both turret turn speed upgrades, Torpedoes are good enough,the hull still out-turn the guns but it's easy enough to land good hits and the guns have a good balance of firepower and reload speed allowing you to run evasive maneuvers without missing too many chances to fire.

Now that my Soviet captain has unlocked tier 3 skills, I need to choose between the Smoke boost or the Detection alert. Any experienced DD captain has an opinion on those ?
I think for a beginer the detection alert might be the better choice to get a feel of how the detection work in this game.

Go for the Sixth Sense equivalent first, then pick the smoke charge upgrade with the next three points. Both are jsut so good for DDs that it's imo worth postponing the tier 4 and 5 skills a bit.

Krogort posted:

The St. Louis has its citadel much lower and it's smaller than on most cruisers, making it a bitch to hit with any reliability. You actually need to score waterline hits from about 10-12km or so because closer in your trajectory becomes too flat and the shell with just go through over the actual citadel.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
I picked up a alanta finally. It says it has dual purpose guns, how do you activate the main guns for aa or is it simulated? If so that kind of sucks.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

How do people do BAD in the Cleveland? I mean, unless you get blapped by a enemy BB or something, you can murderzone everyone. And I'm supposed to somehow survive this poo poo in an IJN DD while I wait 2 minutes to reload torps against a manueverable cruiser? Argh.

I find the Cleveland slow and ineffective beyond ranges like 8km. It can murder stuff that gets that close, but it doesn't take hits and isn't very maneuverable.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Crash74 posted:

I picked up a alanta finally. It says it has dual purpose guns, how do you activate the main guns for aa or is it simulated? If so that kind of sucks.

They just automatically engage planes like all AA does.

Also, get yourself a macro that inputs a single left click every 0.7 seconds, so you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67vxOXan8YQ

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Crash74 posted:

I've read somewhere that it's simulated.
You lose the bofors for just 2 AA more turret than the Cleveland so it's not that great an AA platform.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Krogort posted:

I've read somewhere that it's simulated.
You lose the bofors for just 2 AA more turret than the Cleveland so it's not that great an AA platform.

Uhhh. unlike the cleveland, I've murdered any squadron that gets close to my atlanta.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magni posted:

They just automatically engage planes like all AA does.

Also, get yourself a macro that inputs a single left click every 0.7 seconds, so you can do this:

Haha.. I just got myself a New Orleans, but after watching that I think I'm going to have to buy an Atlanta.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Atlanta first drive - trip report: It's raining baby!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I really hope they fully animate the AA effect of DP guns some day, with them turning and spitting shells at planes. Battlestations Midway had that and it looked amazing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Should I get a kitakami?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hammerstein posted:

I really hope they fully animate the AA effect of DP guns some day, with them turning and spitting shells at planes. Battlestations Midway had that and it looked amazing.
Hell, all the dedicated AA guns even are animated.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Kraftwerk posted:

Should I get a kitakami?

Easy answer is no. If you want to get a premium cruiser get the Atlanta. Played right the Kitakami is a monster but thise games are really rare.

I just had a game where I killed 2 that were in a division in my Atlanta. Took me like 3 minutes to get them both and I got 21 hits on them and 18 of those shots were citadel hits.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Kraftwerk posted:

Should I get a kitakami?

I loved the Kita in Navy Field, but here it's a different story. Your surface detectability is roughly the same as your torpedo range and by now most publords know that as soon as you are spotted you are just a juicy Kuma snack in tier 8 games and that they only need to stay at 10km to be safe. Smoke for the Kita in 3.1 will help, but not enough to make the ship any good. Wargaming, in their infinite wisdom, also thought it wise to pull the teeth of the Kita by giving it some weird experimental torpedo which was never actually used, instead of the fantastic Type 93.

There's potential for a glorious round once in a while, but be prepared to wade through a long valley of tears between those moments.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been on the receiving end of a constant stream from an Atlanta? Is it easy to ignore or is it the kind of thing that makes you panic, especially if you're worrying about torpedoes too?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been on the receiving end of a constant stream from an Atlanta? Is it easy to ignore or is it the kind of thing that makes you panic, especially if you're worrying about torpedoes too?

Not on the receiving end, but I hosed down a Fuso and kept him lit on fire for several minutes until he started shooting at me. He spent the rest of the game completely ignoring everything else in favor of trying to kill my Atlanta, even when I was way too far away for me to be shooting him.

Good times.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I've been mulchedby that thing in less than 20 seconds while in an Aoba.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm really tempted to get that firestarter skill with these bullet hose ships. Maybe it's not going to stop a skilled player, but I think fires add a lot of stress to a novice player, especially if they're trying to figure out if they should use the repair skill.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Magni posted:

Hold left mouse :ssh:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Had it happen to my once or twice in the Nagato and it was really loving annoying despite doing about jack and poo poo in terms of real damage. I kept my nerves, but holy poo poo did it piss me off.

rossmum posted:

Hold left mouse :ssh:

That only fires each turret once though instead of infinite repeater action - the delay is a bit too short so you run into the reload cooldown and the chain is broken.

Edit: Yes, Mr. Faildivision-Saipan, keep throwing your planes at the goddamn Baltimore of all things.

Between that and that kill being a Yamato, t was one hell of a good send-off match for my Balti. Because now I got a Des Moines. Ho ho ho.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 10, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

xthetenth posted:

When the USN and IJN both had good carrier wings, the IJN's strikes were better. They were getting planes off four decks with pretty decent separation between some of them and bundling them into coherent strike packages at the start of the war, when it took US ships a battle's experience to figure out that getting their own squadrons together was a good maneuver.

You say this, but the IJN stopped having good carrier wings right around the same time they stopped having carriers. Because US carrier aircraft (and, admittedly, submarines too!) kept sinking them.

Throughout the entire war Japanese carrier planes managed to sink the following US warships:
3 Carriers
3 Battleships (All at Pearl Harbor)
0 Heavy Cruisers
0 Light Cruisers
A handful of destroyers.

The US Navy, meanwhile, was running out of vertical space to paint more little rising sun flags with sinking ship silhouettes in them.

The primarily ground based kamikazes were a bit more successful.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 10, 2015

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I just got a Cleveland and I'm working my way up the US cruiser line. Are there any dud ships further up that I should avoid upgrading?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Kore_Fero posted:

I just got a Cleveland and I'm working my way up the US cruiser line. Are there any dud ships further up that I should avoid upgrading?

The US cruiser line is probably one of the best, most forgiving, and just plain fun lines there is. I found it hard dropping the Cleveland for the Pensacola, it is a way different play style, but once I actually learnt how to play the Penis, I sold my Cleveland. This happened every time I upgraded, on paper the stats seem about the same but each one is very different.

You can also use the Atlanta as a trainer and I cannot stress enough just how fun and how much money that ship makes.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I just played a pretty cool match where it was relatively small teams like 6v6 - I was in my Amagi and the only other battleship was the enemy Yamato. We wound up on one side of the map closing around the islands and at around 3km were going side by side like an old school duel.

He lost (I am guessing the Amagi has higher sustained damage barring citadels?), but it was really fun considering.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kore_Fero posted:

A lot of people stumble going from the Cleveland to the Pensacola because of the massive change in play style but once you get used to the Pensacola it's really good, and the later ships are just better versions of it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I'd keep the Cleveland but sell the Pensacola when you switch over to the New Orleans. The two halves of the American cruiser line have a rather different playstyle.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I decided to be that goon and try out the aim assist. Other then helping me get a few more Citadel hits, it really doesn't do all that much for me. Lots of people still float in a straight line and they eat some Fuso love, but other then those few souls I'm faced with zig zag speed changers whom I am still able to score good hits on because after a few games I figure out how to lead people really well.

It's just Citadel hits that have gone from zero each game cause I have no clue to 5+ per game. Lots of 1 salvo kills on Pepsicola's too from magazine hits. Maybe the aim assist is helping me hit the water line a bit better instead of the meaty upper superstructure?

I'm back to vanilla though. I'm still scoring good hits without it, but a lot less Citadel hits.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

NuckmasterJ posted:

So I decided to be that goon and try out the aim assist. Other then helping me get a few more Citadel hits, it really doesn't do all that much for me. Lots of people still float in a straight line and they eat some Fuso love, but other then those few souls I'm faced with zig zag speed changers whom I am still able to score good hits on because after a few games I figure out how to lead people really well.

It's just Citadel hits that have gone from zero each game cause I have no clue to 5+ per game. Lots of 1 salvo kills on Pepsicola's too from magazine hits. Maybe the aim assist is helping me hit the water line a bit better instead of the meaty upper superstructure?

I'm back to vanilla though. I'm still scoring good hits without it, but a lot less Citadel hits.

I don't understand all the :qq: about this mod. Compared to all the cheatery bullshit that wargaming tolerates in tanks a simple aim lead indicator getting all the hate is really weird to me. The way I see it is if you don't use this stuff you are giving shitlords a leg up on you, if for the simple fact you don't realise how to counter it properly. The aim indicator is fairly inaccurate and easy to counter, you just need to not be a total dipship and change course and speed when facing someone.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the mod have a better UI like some of the tanks mods? I hate how they have the crossbars so inaccurate. It feels like "Hey guys, let's throw some compass and elevation marks onto the sight for effect! SO naval!"

Edit: Also, how do I reliably Warspite? Got it, but haven't mucked with it much. I know I'm supposed to dive into the middle of a brawl and let it's secondaries rip, but it seems any time I try to do that in a BB I get primaried hard.