Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

The Aardvark posted:

If you multiplied by 213, just had to divide by 3 since 3 nitrogen. Just a manipulation of the order of steps is all.

Last question, why are we breaking N down by 3, why aren't we trying to find it for N3? I'm confused as heck why it is being found for the individual N when it's N3 in the compound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If the compound is Al(NO3)3, then it's not an N3, it's three NO3's
For the stoichiometry it doesn't really matter, but it will matter when you get to redox

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Because you're looking for the amount of N as atoms, not N3 as a molecule.

Nitrate is not azide.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Got it. Thank you for the help, I may be throwing more questions out here. Especially considering since I'm going to try and bang out inorganic 1 and 2 over the summer. Because why have free time?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I'm available to help goons with chem since I've graduated and have free time. PMs are fine.

I'll also add basic biochemistry to this as I did some of that too

Also do people call gen chem inorganic now or something?

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 25, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I did, I thought that's what it was since there's inorganic and organic chemistry as fields? I dunno, that's how it got told to me when I was younger by my aunt the organic chemist PhD and my uncle the inorganic chemist PhD.

They worked for the DOD their entire careers. They died of a cancer linked directly to a chemical they used to clean glassware. This was all to win the Cold War so I guess it's good they are dead and not seeing what's going on now? I dunno. That's my story.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Ah. Inorganic chemistry is a part of chemistry that deals mostly with metals and organometallics. Usually in undergrad education you get into inorganic after taking achem, ochem, and pchem.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Wow, I'm learning a lot here. So gen chem 1 and 2 over the summer. Ok thanks crew, this was super helpful.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Gen chem is where you "learn" the foundations of chemistry to find out in upper classes "Weeeellllllll what we told you then wasn't totally the truth."

Looking at you ochem.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 25, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

maffew buildings posted:

Well that makes more sense. So I was running 3.22x10^22/6.022x10^23 then multiplying by 213 and trying to figure out the g of N via the percent comp of N3 in the molar mass. Thank you.

Ok so what I was doing (.0535 x 213g) came out to 11.4. If I divide that by 3 to account for the 3 nitrogen I get 3.8g. Is that another way to do this and I was just missing that last step, or am I just having fun with numbers and that's a happy coincidence?

No problem my dude, I'm glad I can be useful with something what with how lamely these past few months have been going.

The great thing about math is that you can perform complementary functions in any order. If you are adding or subtracting, order doesn't matter. If you are only multiplying and dividing, the order doesn't matter. 6*4/8*9 is 27 the same way 9*6/8*4 is also 27. The order doesn't matter until you are combining addition, multiplication, parentheses, exponents, and what not.

And once you've figured out the stoichiometry and the molar mass of the compound you're using, all you will need is that molar mass, how many of each element is in the compound and how many moles you have of something. The main things from this part of chemistry is to just keep things as simple as possible. If you're doing a lot of math, you might be doing it wrong, and there's a simpler way to do it. Also, make sure you understand that these calculations go both directions. You can figure out how much Nitrogen you have, but you can also take grams of Nitrogen to figure out how much Al(NO3)3 you have. This got a bunch of people in my chemistry class. The professor would have us practicing one way while learning, and then have us go the other way on the test. I think people just memorized how to do it by rote without actually understanding what they were doing. Understanding the concept is the most important thing. If you understand what it is that you're doing and why you're doing it, you will never be caught up during a test.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Learning update - I'm starting to get really down with this chem and math thing, despite how it makes my brain feel like it is on fire. Is that normal?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You're supposed to do whippets to cool it down.

That's about how I felt starting up with statistics after ten years, just keep motivated.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 27, 2020

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Learning update - I'm starting to get really down with this chem and math thing, despite how it makes my brain feel like it is on fire. Is that normal?

As a totally not biased person, yes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I consulted another forums user and professional math doer asking if how I was putting off other studying to do math, doing the same problem over and over because I miss a minus sign, getting overly caffeinated and sweating, working for hours straight and being up with racing thoughts at night about the stuff I'm working on was unusual and he said that meant I was starting to get it. So, this is going to be a fun few years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Now it is your turn to study statistical mechanics.

edit: context

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 27, 2020

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So glad I'm an English major. I skated through by taking political statistics as my lone math class.

That said, if any of you need copy editing for your term papers this semester, let me know. I'm happy to take a look and help punch up your prose.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I thought I was done with math forever after college algebra but then I decided to make my anthropology slightly more useful by adding an international affairs double major and now I have to take macro and micro econ.

I’ve scammed myself once again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My biggest collegiate regret as a young Buildings was I didn't go ham and get a BS in Anthro. Have you considered that? You can carbon date bones and teeth. For decades.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My bachelors is a dual major in Anthro and GIS. I ended up as a GIS marketing analyst, which is fine. But when I do grad school it'll be in Anthro.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah science is pretty great. Definitely learned a lot more in my physics / anthro / microbiology classes than I did in all of my humanities courses.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

What do you all use for word processing alternatives these days? For the first time in eons, i don't have a school provided email address, and I'll be damned if I'm actually going to shell out for MS Office.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Suntan Boy posted:

What do you all use for word processing alternatives these days? For the first time in eons, i don't have a school provided email address, and I'll be damned if I'm actually going to shell out for MS Office.

I've used Open Office and it works well with Office stuff. https://www.openoffice.org/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just use google docs when I'm not near my home computer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Suntan Boy posted:

I buy cheap MS Office keys off of Goons in SA mart. For less than the price of a video game, I can get the entire Office suite and the savings from using something else isn’t worth the effort it’d take to learn how to use it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keys? How often do you have to buy Office?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Cojawfee posted:

Keys? How often do you have to buy Office?

I have five computers.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

All about that Google Docs so I can rough out a couple paragraphs on the busride to campus

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

If you really hate yourself you can use LaTeX.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Right, I could've mentioned that I use Google Docs extensively after Office ate one too many papers. I just use local software for final cleanup/formatting, since stuff like APA reference pages is a pain with Docs. Need more/stronger coffee.

What's the verdict on LibreOffice? I'm a very lazy man, and some of the extensions look pretty appealing.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Google office suite was super handy in my college degree for anything where you had to collaborate with fellow students. Even so, I really needed Office to write anything that included math symbols. I realize that's not a universal concern, and LaTeX mentioned above might honestly be a better option if you're doing a whole lot of math/science writing

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Libre is solid. I use that instead of even bothering with Officep

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Chem crew, question, if I'm finding number of atoms of O in CO2 for 16.0g of the compound, it's going to be grams CO2 to moles CO2 to atoms and then it's the percent ratio of O2 in CO2 for the final answer, yeah? Or am I off the mark? Apologies if not explained well. I had a chem exam and it may have gone very poorly, the multiple choice did at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Stick with the stoichiometry. Find the molar mass of CO2, then go from grams of CO2 to moles of CO2. If you have 1 mole of CO2, and there are 2 oxygens in the molecule, then you have 2 moles of Oxygen. So multiply by 2 and then multiply by Avogadro's number to get number of atoms.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Isn't that a total of atoms of C and O2, though? How is that just the O atoms?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
CO2 is made up of three atoms, one carbon and two oxygens. 1 mole of CO2 is made up of 1 mole of carbon and 2 moles of oxygen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm just going to DM you I don't know if this is a productive derail for the thread.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Don't do percent ratios. You may think O2 is 66.67% of CO2 but it is actually 72.73% when you use mass.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got 72%. The ratios are easy as h*ck, I just don't understand how you take the molar mass of CO2 to get the atoms of O2 and like, don't isolate the O from C.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My local community college has a one semester certificate, I'd like to get, and I have a month left on my GI Bill to pay for it. Would I be able to pursue that after graduating with my bachelor's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As far as I know, if you have one day left on your GI Bill, it extends out to finish whatever term you use it in.