Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Actually, fusion voting is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ross barkan wrote a couple of articles about how the WFP can repurpose itself as a Justice Democrats-style national organization even if it loses its ballot line. that said, it should still be allowed to have one

also, was not expecting this to be the Top Tweet on the City & State evening news roundup yesterday

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1174037697607823360

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think that the WFP having zero transparency in the decision for who to endorse has shown that it's leadership it's yet another group of Liberals looking to manage expectations downward

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I think that the WFP having zero transparency in the decision for who to endorse has shown that it's leadership it's yet another group of Liberals looking to manage expectations downward
it's a very hit-or-miss group. they were responsible for cleaning up the mess that was the Tiffany Caban campaign, but they also endorsed Liz Warren four years after endorsing Bernie Sanders. given that they worked together with DSA during the Caban race, i think there's a good chance that they'll use that connection for the city council races in two years. here's hoping, WFP needs some guidance

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The National WFP organization is a relatively new thing and has had significant growing pains.

The NYS WFP political party that actually controls the ballot line has their poo poo together to a much stronger degree than their attempt to spin off a big brother.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

ross barkan wrote a couple of articles about how the WFP can repurpose itself as a Justice Democrats-style national organization even if it loses its ballot line. that said, it should still be allowed to have one

If they can field their own good candidates that are competitive with Democrats, sure. Otherwise, :wave:

CaptainPsyko posted:

The NYS WFP political party that actually controls the ballot line has their poo poo together to a much stronger degree than their attempt to spin off a big brother.

That hasn't proven itself in any local races Upstate or in the statewide races in 2018. Maybe it's a Downstate thing.

If they want fusion voting to continue they need to be actively telling people Upstate not to waste their party registration on them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That hasn't proven itself in any local races Upstate or in the statewide races in 2018. Maybe it's a Downstate thing.
according to my upstate-and-proud friend, they don't have a presence outside of downstate

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

get that OUT of my face posted:

according to my upstate-and-proud friend, they don't have a presence outside of downstate

I think there’s some presence in Buffalo, but yes, the center of gravity is very much NYC and Long Island.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/claytonguse/status/1174765507741978624?s=21

:catstare: this is so depressing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This whole thing has big patronage energy.

Edit: and he's out! Not a moment too soon. Now back to failing locally.

https://twitter.com/ShannanFerry/status/1175010605385863169

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Sep 20, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This whole thing has big patronage energy.

Edit: and he's out! Not a moment too soon. Now back to failing locally.

https://twitter.com/ShannanFerry/status/1175010605385863169
quoting these together because it really shows the contrast between how our scumfucking media treats cuomo and de blasio. when the mayor fucks up, it's reported on for days. but when the governor fucks up, they don't give a poo poo other than maybe a single story on the issue before letting it die on the vine. they're taking cuomo's "i don't control the MTA" at face value without looking into why they're running out of money. they're a loving disease

frankly, i'm glad BdB ran for president because it pissed off those access leeches so much. they knew he wasn't going to gain any ground in the race, but they didn't care

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

owning the neolibs and all but he has been a pretty bad mayor in terms of pedestrian/cyclist safety and public housing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

owning the neolibs and all but he has been a pretty bad mayor in terms of pedestrian/cyclist safety and public housing
don't get me wrong, he's a doofus and a real estate stooge. but the media doesn't hate him for that, they hate him because he's sometimes late for press conferences

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
tbqh, 75% of my feelings that deblasio is bad are arguments of competency not policy; (the 25% is mostly housing/real estate policy with a splash of bike stuff).

If he was a reasonably capable public servant and politician rather than a total doofus, I would honestly even be comfortable saying "all political figures are compromised and this guy is still net really good!"

AND YET.

(Police stuff is absolutely a competency not policy issue; he mostly wants the right things it seems like, he just gets loving WALKED ON by NYPD/FOP and the tabloids).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hello please stop putting more people in the race to replace Jose Serrano, your career advancement is not as important as keeping Ruben Diaz Sr. out of Congress

Gustavo Rivera was one of two people to not bother running, he should be commended for doing so because he saw this coming. and his quotes at the end are funny and spot-on

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good news: Cuomo drastically moved back the deadline to switch party registration for the state primaries, from October 11 to February 14

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Sep 26, 2019

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
for anyone else confused / wondering if that was sarcastic: they moved *back* the deadline

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pangstrom posted:

for anyone else confused / wondering if that was sarcastic: they moved *back* the deadline
i worded it incorrectly, fixed

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Postponed, as opposed to preponed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Even better news (?): he's single!

https://twitter.com/TwoButtonsDeep/status/1176999525719912449

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
also today!

https://twitter.com/nycgov/status/1177310896344969217

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Why does the media love this scum gently caress governor so much anyway?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

My guess is either the natural incestuousness of New York politics or he's got real dirt on the publishers. Probably a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Biden's campaign has been sputtering forever so there's no reason to hold out for that Chief of Staff position, I guess

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is interesting: the Republican Duchess County Executive is agreeing with the Democratic Assemblymember for a district including parts of Albany and stretching to Selkirk in the south and Altamont in the West in calling for de-elevating or otherwise reducing the impact of I-787 and potentially other elevated highways.

https://twitter.com/marcmolinaro/status/1177939187510718464

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all roads should be underground

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Real hurthling! posted:

all roads should be railroads

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I-787 and it's roundabout route connecting to I-90 from the west and SR-40 to the east suuuuuucks, however, there's no other route downtown unless you want to stop at two dozen traffic lights every morning and evening. Since all the white people moved from downtown to escape black neighborhoods and the food desert, the entire city performs a hellish migration back and forth onto 787. Albany *needs* true mass trans in the form of a subway and cheap buses. I've been seeing a lot of SF BART train cars being brought downtown. Are they being refurbished in NY and being sent back or are there plans to build an actual line? Demolishing I-787 sure as hell isn't enough, but I know in my heart they're going to half-rear end this thing if it ever goes through.

There are also a lot sociopaths on the road here. I lived in FL for a while and people in Albany do things on the road that would get them shot or maimed in Miami, not hyperbole. I'm shocked there aren't more confrontations– drivers are incredibly stressed and at least three times a week I witness someone getting run off the road or someone in huge truck trying to intimidate drivers even though we're in a line of hundreds of cars and there's no where to go (because there are no practical routes into Albany). Extremely troubling when I have my kids in the car. We've already planned our move for when I graduate in the Spring.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fleetwood posted:

I-787 and it's roundabout route connecting to I-90 from the west and SR-40 to the east suuuuuucks, however, there's no other route downtown unless you want to stop at two dozen traffic lights every morning and evening. Since all the white people moved from downtown to escape black neighborhoods and the food desert, the entire city performs a hellish migration back and forth onto 787. Albany *needs* true mass trans in the form of a subway and cheap buses. I've been seeing a lot of SF BART train cars being brought downtown. Are they being refurbished in NY and being sent back or are there plans to build an actual line? Demolishing I-787 sure as hell isn't enough, but I know in my heart they're going to half-rear end this thing if it ever goes through.

There are also a lot sociopaths on the road here. I lived in FL for a while and people in Albany do things on the road that would get them shot or maimed in Miami, not hyperbole. I'm shocked there aren't more confrontations– drivers are incredibly stressed and at least three times a week I witness someone getting run off the road or someone in huge truck trying to intimidate drivers even though we're in a line of hundreds of cars and there's no where to go (because there are no practical routes into Albany). Extremely troubling when I have my kids in the car. We've already planned our move for when I graduate in the Spring.

Except there are cheap buses going into Albany. I saw them being heavily utilized when I was reverse-commuting to Troy, and even the route to Troy was also pretty significantly used.

There is also an existing rapit transit line connecting Albany and Schenectady, with at least one more being set up to connect Albany, Menands, Watervliet, Troy, and Cohoes.

This is while tearing down I-787 near Albany is just a vague proposal.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I don't know the bus route from Troy, but the bus system from Altamont/Schenectady into Albany is convoluted, impractical, and its problems are accentuated by a labyrinthine network of roads and highways throughout the city rather that a basic mass transit system so that now doing something basic like going from Altamont to downtown requires at least one connection even though it should be a straight shot. Even if you're driving, there's no practical route, so tearing down 787 isn't going to help anyone other than real estate developers who will accentuate the problem that already exists.

I think we're kinda making similar points– I'm saying these are half measures and the state will implement them and never look back.

ed: My understanding (pls correct me if I'm wrong) is that 787 originally went up because the Hudson was so polluted and stinky that no one would live there except those too poor to move.

Fleetwood has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Sep 28, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fleetwood posted:

I don't know the bus route from Troy, but the bus system from Altamont/Schenectady into Albany is convoluted, impractical, and its problems are accentuated by a labyrinthine network of roads and highways throughout the city rather that a basic mass transit system so that now doing something basic like going from Altamont to downtown requires at least one connection even though it should be a straight shot. Even if you're driving, there's no practical route, so tearing down 787 isn't going to help anyone other than real estate developers who will accentuate the problem that already exists.

I think we're kinda making similar points– I'm saying these are half measures and the state will implement them and never look back.

You want a real mindbender? Troy's the same side of the river as Rensselaer train-station, the big one serving Albany and environs. If you're using public transport to get there, your best bet is to use the Schenectady station, which is twice the distance away as the bird flies, because at least there's a direct bus. Google will literally tell you to go to downtown Albany and then walk back across the bridge (LOL) if you're eager to get to the closer one.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Yes! They built a might fine train station across the river and then made it impractical to utilize. Shameful.

iirc there's been talk since last year about building a gondola from downtown to the Rensselaer station, but I dunno...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fleetwood posted:

Yes! They built a might fine train station across the river and then made it impractical to utilize. Shameful.

iirc there's been talk since last year about building a gondola from downtown to the Rensselaer station, but I dunno...

I'm sure the talk's been around for longer. It's yet another one of those "I want to have my name on a physical thing" vanity projects some politicians are easily sold on. They could easily just have CDTA operate a shuttle over the existing roads to see if the guaranteed availability of transfer from one side to the other increases ridership before spending that money, but then you don't get a "Gerald JenningsKathy Sheehan Gondola".

Edit for more more Albany being Albany:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBragg1/status/1178430134300430337

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Sep 29, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blake is like Malliatokis in that he's latching on to any opportunity to climb the ladder sooner rather than later. and yet everyone else who isn't visibly corrupt in this state is told to "wait your turn"

i'm almost certain that Gustavo Rivera sat out that congressional race because he figured he had no shot at winning, figures that it's Diaz Sr.'s race to lose, and is looking to the next race where he can be the main primary challenger

speaking of races, NYC DSA made endorsements in four of them. New Kings Democrats will be voting whether or not to endorse Emily Gallagher in AD50 against Joe Lentol, and will also be doing the same for female district leader in AD52
https://twitter.com/nycDSA/status/1178412872206077953

KomradeX posted:

my hunch is that there are several reasons. they care more about access than doing their job, and they want to keep what they have in the governor's mansion. they're cowards with a lack of imagination when it comes to things being any different. and at the end of the day, media people are economically comfortable enough that a deal-making, difference-splitting moderate is exactly up their alley

it should be interesting to see what happens if Corey Johnson becomes mayor. the media class genuinely likes him and seem ready to kiss the ring if he wins. he's also just as ruthless towards media people that he considers to be against him

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Sep 30, 2019

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
chris collins announced he's resigning and plans to plead guilty to pending charges

it's too bad the district will happily vote for whatever republican they choose to replace him with

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

whatis posted:

chris collins announced he's resigning and plans to plead guilty to pending charges

it's too bad the district will happily vote for whatever republican they choose to replace him with

It was... close last time

But yeah I can't wait for everyone here to die

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a couple of people have already announced for the GOP primary, including a state senator. the Dem who narrowly lost last time is running again, the supervisor of Grand Island (i think Nate Macmillan is his name)?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ooh, is it too much to hope this pans out?

https://twitter.com/timesunion/status/1179805327799259136

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yes. i saw news about that contract in the C&S roundup and my thought was "the media will let this die on the vine like every other thing about his corruption"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
eyyy so those voter guides or whatever from the NYC Votes people showed up and i just wanted to take a minute to elucidate a beautiful microcosm of chud messaging sent straight from the depths of long island guidovoice hell, all in service of the Public Advocate election.

the guide solicits in like, a survey form, information from each candidate and allows for a brief free form statement

Jumaane Williams took the opportunity to list his Top 3 Issues as such:

Gabagool "The Gabagool" Borelli lists this

his statement reads as follows:

"Imagine how much money was wasted in sending this booklet to (! wasted! i.e. his opportunity to have his actual words read by) every registered voter in a city of 8.5 million people... It's but one example of how little those in City Hall actually value the taxpayers like you who are left footing the bill. Who speaks for your family?"

im hootin and hollerin