Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

You can, if you go to the right manufacturer with enough money. Audi I know do this for example.

Fancy pants ones like Aston and Rolls do it as well, and although it's not 16 million options, the number of colours VW will paint your Golf (maybe only GTi/R) is pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I always gripe about how few factory color options there are, but having that much choice would paralyze me I think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

today i discovered the answer to a question i never thought to ask: what if you stuck a turbine engine on a rally car and put it on water?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp1X_9lz7g4

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

It occurs to me now seeing this, how much better a life this fictional douchebag has compared to everyone else in the Fast and Furious franchise, constantly in danger and losing loved ones. His Ferrari may not have been as fast as off the line, but he truly comes out ahead in the end.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Gomi Day posted:

https://twitter.com/autoass/status/1365058889268555784
:kiss:

[edit] i'm dumb and it's an edit. but g'drat. does it look nice in that colour.

I hate these random twitter accounts that post others images without credit and rack up the likes, here's the photog's ig:

https://instagram.com/mikecrawat?igshid=1f8sxb6dx9x47

And the one that did the edit:

https://instagram.com/stinnalakota?igshid=8jamf5qs59yy

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Gomi Day posted:

https://twitter.com/autoass/status/1365058889268555784
:kiss:

[edit] i'm dumb and it's an edit. but g'drat. does it look nice in that colour.

This is why you pay attention to the instructions on the label when washing your Ferrari.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dodge did a 1 of 1 program on the Viper. It wasnt 16m colors either, but it was a lot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

This is the right quantity of colors to choose from. Enough that it's hard, not enough to be paralyzing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

StormDrain posted:

This is the right quantity of colors to choose from. Enough that it's hard, not enough to be paralyzing.
Ill take the display model pictured, thanks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cage posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing. :hfive:

*edit arrange it rainbow style for top marks though imo.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Cage posted:

"Paint Chip Cuda"

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/plymouth-barracuda-wellborn-muscle-car-museum/
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a31809/the-story-behind-plymouths-paint-chip-barracuda/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Harlecuda

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My shop is doing an efi conversion on a 1970 porsche Carrera Rs. Thought yall might enjoy

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Coil-On-Plug conversion as part of it? How'd you make that work?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
It was a previous upgrade. Comes with a crank sensor and a tone ring that goes behind the pulley. block off the distributor hole. MSD control unit.

It will have Idle air control as well.

Clewett engineering makes the kits. Guys are pretty knowledgeable

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 26, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Oh dang! I saw that when I was looking for the image and I thought it was a photo shop.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:eyepop:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I have GM Historical Services putting together a certificate on a 68 Olds 442. They didn't quite believe their records at first and called me to see if I could verify against the car, apparently it was silver-green with an orange stripe.

Basically like this car but with a 5/8" wide orange stripe running the length of the car just under the molding.

It probably looked better than it sounds.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

More cars should be like this and less silver/beige blobs.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

More cars should be like this and less silver/beige blobs.

:yeah:

E: oh poo poo they made a new one (just a concept for now)

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 26, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

I have GM Historical Services putting together a certificate on a 68 Olds 442. They didn't quite believe their records at first and called me to see if I could verify against the car, apparently it was silver-green with an orange stripe.

Basically like this car but with a 5/8" wide orange stripe running the length of the car just under the molding.

It probably looked better than it sounds.

Why are they surprised at that? I've seen silver with orange stripes, on 442s, albeit, it was the '70-72 with the big rally stripes on the hood. Maybe the '69 with the vertical stripe on the fender. I don't recall a '68.
I should get one of those documents for my '70 Cutlass S. I mean, I don't think it's anything special, other than to me, but...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

StormDrain posted:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bouillon Rube posted:

:yeah:

E: oh poo poo they made a new one (just a concept for now)

I'm into these and I usually hate people who try too hard BUT...

https://twitter.com/_autoverse/status/1365013877474418691?s=19

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Why are they surprised at that? I've seen silver with orange stripes, on 442s, albeit, it was the '70-72 with the big rally stripes on the hood. Maybe the '69 with the vertical stripe on the fender. I don't recall a '68.
I should get one of those documents for my '70 Cutlass S. I mean, I don't think it's anything special, other than to me, but...

I think the guy was new at it. He may have been visualizing the silver-green as much more green than it is. Its actually fairly subtle.

If you are in the US those records probably wont be available for yours, you can only get it for Canada sold cars. Its some guys in Oshawa who have access to the old microfiche records, give them a VIN and they can put together an option list and the name of the dealership that ordered it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

I think the guy was new at it. He may have been visualizing the silver-green as much more green than it is. Its actually fairly subtle.

If you are in the US those records probably wont be available for yours, you can only get it for Canada sold cars. Its some guys in Oshawa who have access to the old microfiche records, give them a VIN and they can put together an option list and the name of the dealership that ordered it.

Yup, I'm in the US. Car was sold in Texas, and has been here it's whole life as far as I know.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ror posted:

It's the 21st century and you really should be able to eyedropper pick any color from an RGB palette and have it put on a new car.

Wonder how much an aftermarket paint job on something like an F40 would cost anyway if you pulled it apart properly.

As you said, its the 21st century, why would you paint an F40 instead of just wrapping it?

Anyway if you did want to repaint, youd have to decide if you want a perfect job, or something more in line with the original factory paint which is poo poo and thin and shows the carbon weave, which is an important detail in F40 world. I bet the latter is far more expensive than the former.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BuckyDoneGun posted:

As you said, its the 21st century, why would you paint an F40 instead of just wrapping it?

Anyway if you did want to repaint, youd have to decide if you want a perfect job, or something more in line with the original factory paint which is poo poo and thin and shows the carbon weave, which is an important detail in F40 world. I bet the latter is far more expensive than the former.

If I had F40 (aka gently caress-you) money, I think I'd put a carbon-fiber wrap on it just for the :psyduck:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

If I had F40 (aka gently caress-you) money, I think I'd put a carbon-fiber wrap on it just for the :psyduck:

Flat primer, tube bumpers, aluminum skidplates, and lo-pro all terrains on a 2" puck lift.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Truck nutz dragging on the road shooting sparks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

cursedshitbox posted:

Flat primer, tube bumpers, aluminum skidplates, and lo-pro all terrains on a 2" puck lift.

This. This is what is best in life.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Truck nutz dragging on the road shooting sparks.

I like the way yall think.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

I just mocked it up in Forza Horizon, maybe this needs to happen..

I've probably exaggerated the green a bit there, and made the stripe too wide. Paint ideas are probably a bit premature, the car is only just barely restorable.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

These guys usually just gently caress around, but this video's actually super awesome for visualizing oil flow through an engine.

https://youtu.be/gxw3rLFlsTc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

To make this extra Russian, the car on the left is a VAZ-2108/Lada Samara and I've honestly not seen one on the road for 30 years. To think there's still some tootling around over there is nuts.

*edit: seeing as this is the awesome car poo poo thread, they ran them in the Paris-Dakar

Oh and they also did a Group B version called the EVA but as soon as they got approval to go ahead with the project Group B got killed off. Apparently a single Group S variant got built but obviously that went nowhere either.

From a couple pages back but this thing is fuckin awesome!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

boxen posted:

Toyota have done this with the new gr yaris its baffling. A mate of mine pulled it off. Underneath its like shredded carbon (fOrGeD cArBoN) and theyve wrapped with generic weave vinyl.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

With the amount of work this took it's baffling that they missed that the dark color strips on the original are designed to hide the panel lines in the door. The red stripe is an inch or so too far forward and the little section of panel gap in the tan stripe really spoils the effect.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Im just sad it isnt the whole car

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bape Culture posted:

Toyota have done this with the new gr yaris it’s baffling. A mate of mine pulled it off. Underneath it’s like shredded carbon (fOrGeD cArBoN) and they’ve wrapped with generic weave vinyl.

While forged carbon is a tremendously stupid marketing name for it, it is a real technology that yields very strong carbon fiber parts. It's just a die formed injection. It's a simpler process than the typical autoclave process but yeilds very tight tolerances. It also has a larger capital investment since tool steel dies are expensive as gently caress.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I dont like it. Its weaker, looks worse and generally heavier. The reason its easier is because you can fill complex shapes with resin. Woop de do. Its waste material marketed as premium and I hate it. It would be cool if it was used for general lower end stuff to aid sustainability/replace steel etc but it isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well it's just like carbon fiber hoods. You can make one and have it actually be heavier than the steel one it's supposed to replace. But a well made one will be lighter.

Additionally I made die injection parts for the F35 and can confirm the technique is used all over GEs jet engine manufacturing. When I say it has the potential to be strong, I mean in every way stronger than the equivalent steel or even titanium structure. Ends up weighing about half of the aluminum version in aerospace.