Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

You know I saw a post where someone in QCS said the Chapo thread is a trainwreck and I almost, almost posted that it's actually a good thread

Dodged that bullet

Shameful page snype sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There are no good threads, only good posts.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

snoremac posted:

all things should be expressed in 3 emojis or less

https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/631538115514007553?lang=en

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
:gas:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There aint a lower tier posting than calling for a thread to be gassed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tweet us a haiku about how a $150 tax credit for a family making under $32,000 a year for applicable dental expenses would change your life.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
this is why amber is so good. people just cannot resist getting angry about her being correct

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Intelligent women who aren’t afraid of being mean is like nuclear kryptonite to the extremely online.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think anyone was mad at her this time around, an article was posted, a couple people disagreed about it being good, and then I got angry at the thread when it dogpiled on me. The other person didn't even get mad.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
i'm nice

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

sirtommygunn posted:

Perhaps there is some form of content to a novel that makes it worth the length to read. No, clearly it's just that using more words is inherently superior. I am smart.

Also I'm going to respond to this because this drives me insane. Good writing is not simply brevity, nor is it just getting your point across. We're fortunate enough to be able to communicate in this rich and vivid, if often silly, language, and one of the great shames of things like Twitter is that it has a flattening effect on not just the diversity of language but also of voice - there's something to be said for having a distinguishing voice, not only for the writer but for the reader. One of the great aspects of reading, say, challenging novels is that it nourishes (one of my favorite words) the mind of the reader and fleshes out the mental palette from which the portraits of our imaginations are painted. Using a diversity of words and expanding upon ideas at length focuses and sharpens the mind, creates room for nuance of thought, and is the stuff from which we make the grout that fortifies our mental structure. Reading things like Twitter and the incessant flow of half-formed snippets of ideas is wearying to the mind - fine in short bursts, but it's not conducive to that. It's kind of like how doing nothing all day can be as exhausting as, say, doing yardwork, but your muscles atrophy and shrink and you get weaker. You're still tired at the end of the day, but you're even less able to handle actual work when it needs to be done, so you settle for the path of least resistance and convince yourself that doing something that requires more effort is pointless because it may have used more time.

To be even more metaphorical, I'm big on drinking tea for a lot of reasons, not least of which being that tea is the kind of thing that can be done very lazily with Lipton teabags and some hot water, or you can be more precise in your measurements and put a little more effort into it to have something special, even if it isn't perfect. One guy I watched talked about using a higher leaf-to-water ratio to get a better diversity of flavor, saying that adding more leaves was like adding more instruments to a symphonic lineup. One trumpet playing a note will sound one way, but six will produce a much richer sound, even if they're all playing the same note - it creates depth. Same for words, and for many other things.

You may have gleaned my point from having used a lot of words to make it, because I could have just as easily called you a dumbass and been on my merry way, but here we are.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I agree with you, there is value in adding emotional or technical depth to your writing even if it isn't strictly necessary to make your point. I just feel that what Amber has done, in that specific article, didn't add much value, and large sections of it could have been deleted outright in editing to make a better article. I was exaggerating when I said it could have been a tweet, which I should have said when people starting calling me out rather than having a meltdown over it where I reduced the argument to its simplest possible state of "more words good v more words bad". Thank you for taking the time to make a good post in response to my shittiest argument so there could be some actual communication here.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This Hollywood show is unbelievably bad oh my god.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Heath posted:

Also I'm going to respond to this because this drives me insane. Good writing is not simply brevity, nor is it just getting your point across. We're fortunate enough to be able to communicate in this rich and vivid, if often silly, language, and one of the great shames of things like Twitter is that it has a flattening effect on not just the diversity of language but also of voice - there's something to be said for having a distinguishing voice, not only for the writer but for the reader. One of the great aspects of reading, say, challenging novels is that it nourishes (one of my favorite words) the mind of the reader and fleshes out the mental palette from which the portraits of our imaginations are painted. Using a diversity of words and expanding upon ideas at length focuses and sharpens the mind, creates room for nuance of thought, and is the stuff from which we make the grout that fortifies our mental structure. Reading things like Twitter and the incessant flow of half-formed snippets of ideas is wearying to the mind - fine in short bursts, but it's not conducive to that. It's kind of like how doing nothing all day can be as exhausting as, say, doing yardwork, but your muscles atrophy and shrink and you get weaker. You're still tired at the end of the day, but you're even less able to handle actual work when it needs to be done, so you settle for the path of least resistance and convince yourself that doing something that requires more effort is pointless because it may have used more time.

To be even more metaphorical, I'm big on drinking tea for a lot of reasons, not least of which being that tea is the kind of thing that can be done very lazily with Lipton teabags and some hot water, or you can be more precise in your measurements and put a little more effort into it to have something special, even if it isn't perfect. One guy I watched talked about using a higher leaf-to-water ratio to get a better diversity of flavor, saying that adding more leaves was like adding more instruments to a symphonic lineup. One trumpet playing a note will sound one way, but six will produce a much richer sound, even if they're all playing the same note - it creates depth. Same for words, and for many other things.

You may have gleaned my point from having used a lot of words to make it, because I could have just as easily called you a dumbass and been on my merry way, but here we are.

have you ever considered writing YA novels?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

This Hollywood show is unbelievably bad oh my god.

The Netflix one? Yeah it's bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Netflix one? Yeah it's bad.

It’s like Mad Men if everybody in the office was woke. Absolutely dreadful. Just got to the point where they decide to ruin the end of their movie so that it will be more inspirational. Baffling.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

It’s like Mad Men if everybody in the office was woke. Absolutely dreadful. Just got to the point where they decide to ruin the end of their movie so that it will be more inspirational. Baffling.

It was pretty jarring to hear "thank you for your service" in that period.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

I agree with you, there is value in adding emotional or technical depth to your writing even if it isn't strictly necessary to make your point. I just feel that what Amber has done, in that specific article, didn't add much value, and large sections of it could have been deleted outright in editing to make a better article. I was exaggerating when I said it could have been a tweet, which I should have said when people starting calling me out rather than having a meltdown over it where I reduced the argument to its simplest possible state of "more words good v more words bad". Thank you for taking the time to make a good post in response to my shittiest argument so there could be some actual communication here.

which sections do you think you could cut without losing anything?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god a review of Aaron Sorkin's masterclass is like "drop everything and listen to it immediately" kind of podcast title

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

The Kingfish posted:

The final episode honestly comes across as a parody of woke liberals it's so loving funny

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
there exists a type of hotep who would literally just be a Nazi if not for the misfortune of his birth

https://twitter.com/Monsters_101/status/1261114339404242945

https://twitter.com/Monsters_101/status/1250178863096791040

https://twitter.com/Monsters_101/status/1240804334776070146

https://twitter.com/Monsters_101/status/1240388766805692418

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 15, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Oh my god a review of Aaron Sorkin's masterclass is like "drop everything and listen to it immediately" kind of podcast title

This was disappointing. They mostly just talked about how Sorkin sucks. I wanted specific insane things he says in the masterclass I keep getting loving youtube ads for.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Monsters_101/status/1259982817955627014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

If you're going to post dumbass irrelevant tweets, go do it in C-SPAM.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Heath posted:

If ur point can't fit into a tweet then u dont have 1

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Amber article is good; she remains an engaging writer. I agree with the central point that expecting people to take an unlimited amount of Corona fallout in good cheer is unrealistic, perhaps authoritarian. I do not, however, believe masks in an of themselves are as oppressive as Amber does. They're a nuisance, yes, but you're not necessarily a moralizing scold for saying the west would be better off by normalizing them.

Context matters. Amber might have to cope. She's not inherently wrong to be upset of course , but if the situation requires it I am not sure that exerting social pressure on masks is wrong either. The alternative coercive measures available to us are surely more authoritarian? At some point your understandable reticence do run the risk of making you look like a Florida chud protester. A lot of people feel like we're there already, and with the daily death toll we're seeing I can't really discount their feelings any more than I can Amber's.

The free-association ramble at the end of the article did hit home for me. I feel like it captures the state of mind of many of us in this post-Bernie weirdness. It's a more polished version of shitposts you can read all over these forums; kind of heartfelt, probably pointless, with a definite bitter streak throughout.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Really wish I could relate to sight of *too many* people wearing PPE lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah guys it's a lot better to to write in a way that repeats the same point over and over. You see how I'm saying the same thing multiple times? That means the writing is better. Repeating the same points does not grate at all on the reader, it's good actually. In fact, this post has been improved significantly because it's long. Yes, this post is indeed much better than it could have been, because I used many more words to convey the exact same amount of thought. Anyone who thinks this is bad writing is a baby, a dumb stupid baby, an incredible moron who probably can't read.

Many non-fiction writers have really perfected this technique for their books that have content for about 30 pages, stretched out to 500.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

multijoe posted:

Really wish I could relate to sight of *too many* people wearing PPE lol

yeah I'm probably not the target audience for that article; I've not run into anyone who thinks all this does anything but suck rear end. and further, where's virgil

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

slicing up eyeballs posted:

yeah I'm probably not the target audience for that article; I've not run into anyone who thinks all this does anything but suck rear end. and further, where's virgil

It sort of drags a simple point out far too long and then proceeds to lose the point in the prose. And further, where's virgil

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
I haven’t been following the pod for a while, can someone summarize “new Matt” and also virgil’s disappearance for me

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
After a slight on-the-pod beef Old Matt cooked and ate Virgil, thereby absorbing his posting energy. Now unopposed, this New "grill-pilled" Matt holds court in hour long free-association streams.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the horrors and boons of eating human flesh know no bounds, it is known

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I cannot believe someone is literally arguing against the long-form article format because Twitter exists now and everything should be mulched into bite-size media nuggets.

It’s funny because this podcast really tries to show off big ideas but some of the poo poo people post in here would get you laughed out of GBS due to sheer idiocy or hailed as a genius for doing insane Kaufman level bits like that one about Amber’s article or Thotsky’s idea of what Chapo should do now that Bernie died back on the way to his home planet.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jeep posted:

I haven’t been following the pod for a while, can someone summarize “new Matt” and also virgil’s disappearance for me

I think virgil is just taking a break after the all the election craziness. People were worried at the time because of all the corona poo poo in NY and he just went radio silent.

Matt fans will have to fill you in on what he is doing I haven't watched any of his bat country vlogs yet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

slicing up eyeballs posted:

One person going to their lovely retail job that got reclassed as essential told amber to put on a mask and she's writing a big long article about how it's scolding and actually morally evil to do such.

It's no different that the kind of poo poo they make fun of the podcast usually and that's at least funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

One person going to their lovely retail job that got reclassed as essential told amber to put on a mask and she's writing a big long article about how it's scolding and actually morally evil to do such.

It's no different that the kind of poo poo they make fun of the podcast usually and that's at least funny.

ah, so you didnt read the article

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

If anything, Liz and Matt on the TrueAnon stream were more whiny about that point than Amber ever was on this article.

New Matt is a bit hard to explain since he changes stances and view points once every few streams or so, but in general he's being far more introspective and more self-reflecting about himself and his influence and being less angry and screamy about it. Lately his streams have gone into more directed history talk and general fun with the audience than the way more esoteric and philosophical start, which included the introduction of Grill Pill as an alternative to Peterson's Clean Your Room and just him unwinding from the conclusions he did from this TrueAnon stream, hence the "IS he the new Zizek" stuff that floated around then.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The article was about how Amber took off the mask because it made it harder for her to say racist and transphobic slurs. I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Part of it is forum culture, which, especially in this thread, can seem like an exaggerated expression of the same societal trend that gives you "just make a tweet" as a response to an article. Basically, effortposting is the grand sin of the current online. Everything is a meltdown, and you score points by deflating the balloon of the person next to you. We're flooded in content, yet leap on any posts trying to sound out an idea in an almost Pavlovian fashion. Maybe that tendency is extra strong in this thread because most of us posters revere the Chapos, masters of that art form?

It's sort of a shame; I do like reading long nerdy rants about stuff, even, and maybe especially if they're bad. Used to be that it was worth seeing where it was going, if only to draw out more content, but also in case it caused other weird and interesting posters to jump out of the woodwork. SA was always a place to make fun of that poo poo, and nothing better than making fun of other goons, but I do wonder if the speed, scale and vitriol of the response to someone, for example, saying an article was too long is kind of out of proportion. I sort of get that poo poo when it's piling on TERFs or CHUDs on twitter, because at that point it does become this very limited form of acceptable "activism" and a way to display ones personal political identity, which is a tendency the Chapos like to make fun of, but definitely engage in. It is also weird to me that the old rule of not touching the poop has become a race to get as covered in it as possible.

It's "safer" to bake some kind of plausible deniability into your every post, cultivate a troll/shitposter persona or just float above it all, but it makes for some pretty boring and lovely threads when everyone is doing it. This thread is an excellent example of that, and it was like that long before I started posting in it. Still, I do get it. It's a small rush getting a zinger in here and there. I'm not above it. God knows you take your entertainment where you can find it these days.

"only your posts are bad tho"

Yep, you got it in one. Good work.