Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
At least it's not the old cum avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't believe I died to The One Reborn. I didn't even do that the first time I played through this game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

At least it's not the old cum avatar.

I wasn't cum it was a pink milkshake!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve been watching someone play DW9 for a while now, 15 hours in according to the streamer. It looks like 30 seconds of musouing for every fifteen minutes of wandering around the environment alone. I can not imagine a worse direction for the series to go.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 9, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess they learned nothing from DQH2. Shame, Toukiden 2 used its open world pretty well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In a sense it's a hyper-return to the early PS2 games where the objectives were bullshit and required you to run across a nearly empty map over and over again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I’ve been watching someone play DW9 for a while now, 15 hours in according to the streamer. It looks like 30 seconds of musouing for every fifteen minutes of wandering around the environment alone. I can not imagine a worse direction for the series to go.

Are they not using fast travel? Like every demonstration Koei had was like with a million fast travel waypoints that lead right to battlefields.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

actually just a quick thing now it’s brought up: is there any point upgrading to a Pro if the TV in your living room is 56”/4K but not HDR?

Absolutely, the resolution increase makes a huge difference. You won't regret it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe I died to The One Reborn.

Shameful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The guy speed running it at AGDQ this year also died to TOR, but it's harder when you don't bother to take out the fireballers first

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Are they not using fast travel? Like every demonstration Koei had was like with a million fast travel waypoints that lead right to battlefields.
Yeah a bit, but also just wandering around inside of vast compounds trying to figure out a route to a quest giver. It looks like some high grade MMORPG bullshit in a series that is supposed to be about hitting 50 enemies with your spear or whatever every single second.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The guy speed running it at AGDQ this year also died to TOR, but it's harder when you don't bother to take out the fireballers first

Not only that but speedrunners usually go underleveled, while I normally have 35 or so VIT at least on that boss, they go lower and can get one shot by the arcane explosion (you can get one shot by that if you co-op with someone and your VIT is low at that point).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finished Shadow of the Colossus! I think any grognardy fears of this remake not capturing ~the essence~ of the original can be safely laid to rest, this is a wonderful adaptation and the definitive way for newcomers to play SotC. It's refreshing that in an environment where every major release has to be some lootboxy multiplayer shootman game that something as impactful and weird as SotC can re-emerge in 2018 and be this reverently handled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

Finished Shadow of the Colossus! I think any grognardy fears of this remake not capturing ~the essence~ of the original can be safely laid to rest, this is a wonderful adaptation and the definitive way for newcomers to play SotC. It's refreshing that in an environment where every major release has to be some lootboxy multiplayer shootman game that something as impactful and weird as SotC can re-emerge in 2018 and be this reverently handled.

As a newcomer the game is blowing my loving mind. I've been desperate for simplicity I think and this game is beautiful in its simplicity but deep as hell. I showed my gf and she just watched it for ages like a movie because there isn't anything video gamey like maps and stats getting in between your eyeballs and the world.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe I died to The One Reborn. I didn't even do that the first time I played through this game

the first bosses I died to in my first run were the witches and the one reborn and I think tor has killed me at least once in more playthroughs than he hasn't

idk what it is with him but he owns the poo poo out of me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always get killed by the Witches at least once. They're not hard but it's basically a one shot if you gently caress up and get grabbed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Legit thought the witches was a joke boss first time round because it's so easy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I died at least 3 times to them first playthrough

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JBP posted:

As a newcomer the game is blowing my loving mind. I've been desperate for simplicity I think and this game is beautiful in its simplicity but deep as hell. I showed my gf and she just watched it for ages like a movie because there isn't anything video gamey like maps and stats getting in between your eyeballs and the world.

One day I wanna make a big effortpost about SotC and Hellblade since both are among my favorite games ever and I love thinking about how they compare thematically using similar framing devices and very anti-video gamey elements.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
My PS4 is randomly not waking up from rest mode now. Neither controller or front button seem to do the trick, but once I disconnect it from power and reconnect, it will boot up then.

:iiam:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

My PS4 is randomly not waking up from rest mode now. Neither controller or front button seem to do the trick, but once I disconnect it from power and reconnect, it will boot up then.

Try unplugging it for a minute.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

That guy was also way more into shouting "meme" than speedrunning

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Legit thought the witches was a joke boss first time round because it's so easy.
If you keep killing the Mad Ones it gets hard, so if you've never done that there's not really any danger.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I know people joked about it but Knack has:

Arrow traps
Hidden pit traps you'll probably die to at least once
Enemies that spell almost certain death if you engage them in groups instead of picking them off one by one
Important dodge mechanics
Bosses with no checkpoints (and sparse checkpointing at times regularly anyway)
Situations that seem like guaranteed deaths the first time around until you can figure out the right strategy
The ability to die in the tutorial area if you aren't taking it seriously because the enemies will kill you in like two guys

it truly is the Bloodborne/Souls of the children's platformer/brawler genre

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pablo Gigante posted:

That guy was also way more into shouting "meme" than speedrunning

He still killed all the story and DLC bosses in a little over 90 minutes, so it’s not like he didn’t do what he was supposed to do, and he was only 5 minutes short of his projection.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that guy was entertaining and kept me interested in spite of some mistakes. he also pulled off some cool stuff; it's not like it was a constant stream of failures. pretty solid run imo

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

A few pages back but which theme exactly is this? I have the 2B/9S flight unit themes and the 2B static forest theme (great music) but don't see any other dynamic themes. If you mean the forest one then yeah it's rad as hell.
You're very probably right; I thought I remembered it having very slight movement (like the tree branches or 2B's hair), but it may very well have been a static theme. Can't say for sure because I can never ever get it.

The music really makes it. Christ, Automata has a loving majestic soundtrack.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Akuma posted:

If you keep killing the Mad Ones it gets hard, so if you've never done that there's not really any danger.

i think if you have zero insight, they also just don't spawn at all anyway

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

i think if you have zero insight, they also just don't spawn at all anyway
That would be pretty hard to achieve since you gain 1 insight as soon as you step in the door, but that's interesting...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s for when you die to bullshit and just want to unlock the rune tool immediately

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

He still killed all the story and DLC bosses in a little over 90 minutes, so it’s not like he didn’t do what he was supposed to do, and he was only 5 minutes short of his projection.

I won't deny that he was entertaining and I enjoyed watching the run

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tenkaris posted:

ive never have a problem with rest mode because i never use it

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

fridge corn posted:

Thanks for sharing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Putting unnecessary strain on my consumer electronics to own the libs

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

fridge corn posted:

this guy fucks

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Why on earth would you use rest mode? Are you really that impatient?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Renoistic posted:

The lifecycle of your hardware deteriorates on every start-up cycle, ever so slightly. Modern machines offer 'Rest Mode' because suspending the system to minimal power-consumption is easier on things like your Hard Drives, cooling fans, etc than a full restart.

it's not about laziness, that's jut a benefit of the design

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rest Mode is good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The next Playstation will ditch the power off command entirely. Rest mode is mandatory because all your saves are stored in a DRAM disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Renoistic posted:

It downloads updates etc automatically, which is handy when you're working and doing other things, and don't have an entire day or evening to play games.