Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Shageletic posted:

Gonna love the answer to this. Seeing his increasingly batty posts every cycle has been a treasure.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the person Boosted thought was going to win each GOP primary won that primary. Boosted, please be truthful with us! This is for science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

railroad terror posted:

Also, the anti-Trump ad blitz hasn't even started yet. It will.

I can't wait. It's going to push him to 40% in the polls.

LOL at everyone still convinced Trump is going to somehow fail. Embrace the darkness, your fates have been sealed.

Chaos will devour us all.

You think JEB! can stop Trump? Shillery? Hahahahaha.

We're going to look back and laugh at the sheer number of people who couldn't see the truth right in front of their eyes.

Donald Trump is going to be the next President of the United States.

You leftists always fantasize about "revolution."

It's happening right before your very eyes. You don't see it because you convinced yourselves the masses would one day fall in behind you and devour your enemies. The reality is they are coming to devour you. You believed you'd play the part of Lenin or Trotsky. You're playing the part of Marie Antoinette.

The natives are restless. They are filing out of the Golden Corral and marching towards your opulent estate - your precious political establishment, you beloved media, your lovingly built Democratic society resting on the pillars of crony capitalism and social welfare table-scraps.

All along you thought the GOP would face the guillotine alone. You are her bride. The GOP will at least ride safely in a carriage to the city square to meet its maker. You will ride in the open, and the slobs you claimed to champion, who you condescendingly patted on the head, will spit on you and scream at you as you head to your end.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Based on what exactly? This is what really has me perplexed about people's opinions in this thread. We're months away from the first primary, and people are already dead certain who's gonna win, and how. I'll believe in Trump's chances after the results from South Carolina start coming in.

It's people looking at the Barack Obama primary campaign and assuming Iowa was won on the the strength of a few big rallies and an inspiring candidate, rather then the massive ground game and volunteer network built during the primary.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
How many extra percentages would Trump gain if he actually selected his VP Apprentice style?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

nachos posted:

David Petraeus so everyone can forget all the horrible poo poo Trump said about Mexicans and the entire general election can be drowned in classified security bullshit. Democrats will spend the entire time on defense explaining the rules in detailed essays and presentations and half of them will end up too deflated to even bother voting on election day. Hail Satan.

I think that might be considered a crime against humanity though, committing genocide via boredom.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Pavlov posted:

How many extra percentages would Trump gain if he actually selected his VP Apprentice style?

Chuck Todd's head would explode from people making a mockery of the process! :qq: :qq:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Pavlov posted:

Vote Trump/Lil' John 2016! Turn GOP for What!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ignite Memories posted:

They get to break tie votes in the senate.

That's... about it.

That, and protect the space-time continuum. :colbert:

It's still way early in the primary season, but yeah, given the utter shitshow that has been the GOP field thus far ("strongest field in decades" is worth a laugh!) Trump is going to walk away with the nomination unless something literally blows up around him soon. Priebus going all suicide bomber probably isn't out of the cards.
The GOP might just decide to take their lumps on this one. Trump gets away with poo poo no one else can, but that doesn't reflect well on anyone else on the ballot. On the other hand, it could fire up the base enough to maybe offset that. They know presidential election years are "bad" for them. Maybe they just let it ride, let Trump get it out of his system, and best/worst case they get a GOP president, maybe. Trump vs Sanders would be terribly imbalanced--sanders with all the policy but Trump with all the charisma. Worked for them in 2000 (sorta) after all. And T vs Clinton would probably shake out the same.

The alternative is a preview of Marvel Civil War, only with Trump playing both Iron Man and Capt America. Somehow.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Shageletic posted:

Based on what exactly? This is what really has me perplexed about people's opinions in this thread. We're months away from the first primary, and people are already dead certain who's gonna win, and how. I'll believe in Trump's chances after the results from South Carolina start coming in.

Trump winning against the whims of his party means that Bernie has a chance too is I think the general line of thinking.

I don't think either of these things are possible, but the firestorm in the GOP primary right now is massively entertaining. Trump might have durability based on how much money he's willing to spend and I think the real question will be what is the actual strength of the coalition that would vote for one of Carson/Trump/Cruz and whether or not they're willing to line up behind one person and if they're willing to actually disregard questions of electability to vote for a "REAL CONSERVATIVE".. [I don't think its big enough to win, but it certainly could cause some hilarious results in places like Arizona]

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2016

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Has there been a time in modern history where a true outsider wound up with the GOP nom?

Almost......

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Has there been a time in modern history where a true outsider wound up with the GOP nom?

Teddy Roosevelt was an outsider, but he only got in because he was VP when McKinley got shot. At the time VP was the place political careers went to die, so the party was actively trying to ax him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

Trump winning against the whims of his party means that Bernie has a chance too is I think the general line of thinking.

I don't think either of these things are possible, but the firestorm in the GOP primary right now is massively entertaining. Trump might have durability based on how much money he's willing to spend and I think the real question will be what is the actual strength of the coalition that would vote for one of Carson/Trump/Cruz and whether or not they're willing to line up behind one person and if they're willing to actually disregard questions of electability to vote for a "REAL CONSERVATIVE".. [I don't think its big enough to win, but it certainly could cause some hilarious results in places like Arizona]

When this has been the overriding concern of the Republican electorate every Presidential cycle for three decades, I don't see it suddenly changing right now.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

As has been mentioned by posters much smarter than me, I think this is what ultimately does Trump in. The primary process isn't so much a public referendum as it is an elevation of a designated GOP heir by the party establishment according to their rules -- covered with a just enough of a veneer of public participation so as to make it palatable.

The primary process is a public referendum that can be swayed/tilted by shady backroom stuff. If a candidate has a mandate, there's only so much tilting you can accomplish by shady backroom stuff. In other words, if it ends up being close, shady backroom stuff matters. I don't think it's going to be close.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 25, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pavlov posted:

Teddy Roosevelt was an outsider, but he only got in because he was VP when McKinley got shot. At the time VP was the place political careers went to die, so the party was actively trying to ax him.

He also had a big constituency though. He had been governor of new yorl, he was enough of an insider that they had to buy him off. He wasn't a trump style hijacker.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One small correction on the VP discussion: the VP doesn't just break ties in the Senate, he's the presiding officer of the body. This responsibility has been handed over to the President Pro Tempore (typically the longest serving Senator of the majority) who recognizes speakers based on established tradition, but it doesn't have to be that way. The constitution empowers the VP to take charge and run that body. The last one to try that was Adams and Washington told him to cut that crap, but still, it's a thing!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

You are as adorable in your feverish delusions this time around as you were in 2012. How do you manage it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The :foxnews: War on Trump is hot agani. Here's Ailes:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Joementum posted:

Well, poo poo.

For the sake of Trump, I'm hoping Ailes is just doing this because MK is a valuable personality. Bosses gotta do stuff like this. But if it's more...

Please please be Jeb/Walker/Rubio/Kaisch vs. Sanders!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump got a high profile endorsement today!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Joementum posted:

One small correction on the VP discussion: the VP doesn't just break ties in the Senate, he's the presiding officer of the body. This responsibility has been handed over to the President Pro Tempore (typically the longest serving Senator of the majority) who recognizes speakers based on established tradition, but it doesn't have to be that way. The constitution empowers the VP to take charge and run that body. The last one to try that was Adams and Washington told him to cut that crap, but still, it's a thing!

Keep in mind though that was before the 12th amendment and so the VP would be the runner up in the Presidential election.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A little off topic, but how is this map a thing (and what is in the middle that had to be bypassed?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's_4th_congressional_district

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Will this be remembered as Fox's Tet Offensive?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

:swoon:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dante80 posted:

A little off topic, but how is this map a thing (and what is in the middle that had to be bypassed?)

From the page itself: "It was created to pack two majority Hispanic parts of Chicago into one district."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Trump got a high profile endorsement today!

Bernie must be disappointed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Keep in mind though that was before the 12th amendment and so the VP would be the runner up in the Presidential election.

True, but Adams wasn't a real runner-up to Washington. He put his name forward mostly so that the election would appear contested, even though everyone knew Washington would win (though Adam did really, really want to be President).

And the 12th amendment didn't alter the powers of the VP, except in presiding over the counting of electoral votes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dante80 posted:

That is where the Latino population of Chicago (generally) resides. The district is represented by Luis Gutiérrez, who is Hispanic. In the middle is where African-Americans in downtown Chicago (generally) reside. It is the 7th Congressional District and represented by Danny Davis, who is black.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Will this be remembered as Fox's Tet Offensive?

I think it's too soon to tell. My money is on Roger Ailes protecting a valuable employee/asset. Also, even if marching orders are given at Fox, media is more fractured now and there's a feedback loop of sorts. For this to work, talk radio, Dudge, etc. have to be on board (or at least be neutral). Fox is still beholden to its viewers, and cognitive dissonance can break down if it's not reinforced from other sources.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Shageletic posted:

When this has been the overriding concern of the Republican electorate every Presidential cycle for three decades, I don't see it suddenly changing right now.

No argument from me. I certainly hope it keeps going for a long time though.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Can you provide an example of this happening?

I'm pretty sure you could find that post almost word for word about Ron Paul in 2007 on these very forums.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

nachos posted:

If you are swayed against Bernie because of a Cornel West endorsement, you were never going to vote for Bernie in the first place

Okay I read this and thought first that Lt. Colonel Allan West has endorsed:bernget: (possibly he'd been thinking of Colonel Sanders, idk)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

You can try, but you can't stop the Trump train.

quote:

As Donald Trump continues to garner attention and traction in the polls, two state Republican parties are trying to place obstacles in the real estate mogul's path to the Republican nomination.

The Republican parties in Virginia and North Carolina are both considering forcing candidates to sign a pledge that they will not run as an independent in order to qualify for the GOP primary ballot, according to Politico. The move could either keep Trump off of the ballot or keep him from launching an independent bid if he loses the Republican nomination.

Virginia GOP Chairman John Whitbeck told Politico that the pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee "isn’t about any single candidate." He said that the party is considering numerous new rules.

"It happens to be one of the things that we are discussing for the 2016 primary," he said.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Some days I come to this thread to see what completely idiotic things candidates are saying. Some days I come to see what idiotic things goons are saying.

I'm never disappointed.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

From PPP's NH poll:

quote:

There's been a big shift on the Democratic side since April as well. Bernie Sanders now
leads the field in the state with 42% to 35% for Hillary Clinton, 6% for Jim Webb, 4% for
Martin O'Malley, 2% for Lincoln Chafee, and 1% for Lawrence Lessig.
The main story in New Hampshire is how universally popular Sanders has become with
the Democratic electorate. 78% see him favorably to only 12% with a negative opinion that
makes him easily the most popular candidate on either side with their party's voters.
Meanwhile Hillary Clinton's favorability numbers have taken a little bit of a hit- she was
at 78/10 with Democratic primary voters in April, but now she's at a 63/25 spread.
The ideological divide is actually not that stark on the Democratic side. Sanders is ahead
with 'somewhat liberal' voters (45/32), 'very liberal' ones (46/37), and moderates (40/36)
alike. And although there is certainly a gender gap Sanders is ahead with both men
(44/30) and women (41/38). But the real big divide we see is along generational lines Clinton
is ahead 51/34 with seniors, but Sanders has a 45/29 advantage with everyone
under the age of 65.

So yeah, Sanders has basically solidified his lead there. It would seem difficult for Clinton to recover unless Sanders has some sort of scandal or Clinton starts a lot of attack ads (which could easily backfire imo).

Sanders just needs to replicate this in Iowa and hopefully the momentum of winning the first two states could give him a decent chance in the rest of the primaries.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Can you provide an example of this happening?

The shady backroom deal hasn't had to happen in the modern primary system. The Super Delegates were set-up as a reaction to 1968 and 1972, but they haven't ever made the difference since they were created.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It's the little things like Trump referring to "Jeb" in quotation marks that make this such a delight.

Trump has done everything any seasoned politician would say you can do wrong, yet he continues to climb in the polls. I wish I could sit in on meetings at the Republican headquarters to see what kind of panic they're in.

"We all create the things we dread." Ultron, Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Not only would Trump be the least worst GOP candidate, I think he would also probably be very good for the left in America by way of destroying and completely discrediting the Republican party whether he wins or runs third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lessig got 1% in the last PPP poll, which qualifies him for the debate :negative:

• Locked thread