Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i set them once to my nighttime?
imho, if windows is able to tell when to put your computer to sleep or turn your monitors off, it should be able to figure out when is a good time to restart. but we all know microsoft considers this an impossibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

imho, if windows is able to tell when to put your computer to sleep or turn your monitors off, it should be able to figure out when is a good time to restart. but we all know microsoft considers this an impossibility.

i would send a goat turd to redmond if it would try to restart when my monitor is off or computer is sleeping

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

not that the active hours matter much anyways, windows 10 has yet to restart out of the blue from under me

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not that the active hours matter much anyways, windows 10 has yet to restart out of the blue from under me

:yossame:

or at least until I click accept in an installer and a previous step had a checkbox reading "we will restart your computer after install because this is 1998".

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

what is it about office 365 accounts that windows can't seem to memorize them

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
might as well make the default error sound sad trombone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SupSuper posted:

i couldn't switch payments for it to a new card i added yesterday until i removed the new card i added through billing menus and added it through small drop-down menu with cards on the o365 subscription page, that had not only the card selector but also the "add new card" button

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SupSuper posted:

windows 10 also had a ton of issues with reconnecting to known user@group + password wifis. If I were to lose connection and it tried reconnecting it would ask me to re input my password. If I turned wifi on and off again it would just connect.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/windows/status/890254538124410880

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
those cold dead eyes

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it looks like they still haven't gotten everybody in the company pointing in the same directoin re: cortana

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

it looks like they still haven't gotten everybody in the company pointing in the same directoin re: cortana

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

duTrieux. posted:

does it have toes?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i couldn't switch payments for it to a new card i added yesterday until i removed the new card i added through billing menus and added it through small drop-down menu with cards on the o365 subscription page, that had not only the card selector but also the "add new card" button
once your windows o365 login expires, every linked app is completely incapable of figuring it out and just fails with that dumb error. the only fix is to manually go into your user account settings to re-enter your credentials :shrug:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What is it about an 'app store' that makes publishers feel absolutely no need to police or curate it in any way to make it not a dumpster fire of scams, copyright infringements and malware

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Inescapable Duck posted:

What is it about an 'app store' that makes publishers feel absolutely no need to police or curate it in any way to make it not a dumpster fire of scams, copyright infringements and malware

"crapple is stifling innovation by rejecting submissions, but we're developer friendly!"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's a lot easier to say you aren't doing it than to say you are doing it, miss one and get sued

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Inescapable Duck posted:

bigger number (of apps) = better than.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the poo poo apps are keeping the good apps out. fix this satya

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I usually reboot it myself after updates to avoid the hassle but sometimes i forget and come in the next morning and the loving thing has restarted itself and blown away all my open windows and tabs and poo poo

also enterprise now ignores the 'never reboot automatically' group policy setting >:|

Good, having updates indefinitely queued was poo poo and I've seen too much of it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i can't say with 100% certainty but i think server 2016 now auto reboots if you've decided to install updates that require a reboot.

this is not expected behaviour from a server os.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Windows Server is a desktop OS rebranded as a server OS.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i can't say with 100% certainty but i think server 2016 now auto reboots if you've decided to install updates that require a reboot.

this is not expected behaviour from a server os.

lmao

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If your service can't tolerate an outage then run it in an HA cluster otherwise you have a maintenance window and it reboots then. If you really don't want that update hitting the server then don't clear it through SCCM/WSUS. This should impact no on except idiots who were already smashing their dick with a hammer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i didn't say it was a problem, just that's unexpected since windows server has never done that previously and generally you don't expect a server os to decide for itself when to reboot without explicit input

e: yeah, it directly mimics the win10 behaviour, including ignoring the "don't ever auto reboot" gpo and using "active hours". since it only triggers if you've approved the update it's fine, just... different

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 1, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

next up on windows server: automatically downloading and installing the newest server os

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well if you don't have your servers behind SCCM/WSUS, it's your own drat fault. same with workstations.

same if your janitors just approve everything as a matter of course. because they include preview updates and major revision updates in WSUS now

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's absurdly easy to set up an auto approval rule for only critical/security updates but people don't give fucks. Running everything through a full dev/test/prod cycle is an actually effort commitment but I just publish the install schedule and delegate it down to the individual service owners to verify if their applications are having problems after the reboot.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

well if you don't have your servers behind SCCM/WSUS, it's your own drat fault. same with workstations.

same if your janitors just approve everything as a matter of course. because they include preview updates and major revision updates in WSUS now

I'm not enough of a computer janitor or person (tell me your computer pronouns) to know what any of that means.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Microsoft gives you a free thing to mirror/manage your updates as you see fit and some dummies do not use it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

I'm not enough of a computer janitor or person (tell me your computer pronouns) to know what any of that means.

that's cool, all that means is you don't need to worry about it. the default behaviour will be fine for you

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft gives you a free thing to mirror/manage your updates as you see fit and some dummies do not use it

it's this. if you don't know how to setup and manage the tool that allows you to accept, reject, and schedule updates, then you have no business loving around with updates. you'll just find yourself getting owned by some CVE patched months ago

pram
Jun 10, 2001
don't use Microsoft "server" hth

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

If your service can't tolerate an outage then run it in an HA cluster otherwise you have a maintenance window and it reboots then. If you really don't want that update hitting the server then don't clear it through SCCM/WSUS. This should impact no on except idiots who were already smashing their dick with a hammer.

lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wheany posted:

bigger number (of apps) = better than.

it's like those rancid ten-thousand-in-one knockoff consoles from mall kiosks and the supermarket around the millennium

there was a lesson about quantity vs quality to be learned from this

every app store does this

if this is how we learn our lessons then what is the point of schools

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

akadajet posted:

Windows Server is a desktop OS rebranded as a server OS.

This has been every MS server OS since 2008 SP2.

Also:

It's absurdly easy to set up an auto approval rule for only critical/security updates but people don't give fucks. Running everything through a full dev/test/prod cycle is an actually effort commitment but I just publish the install schedule and delegate it down to the individual service owners to verify if their applications are having problems after the reboot.

A multinational company is hiring me as a "patching expert" among other things because their current people can't patch servers without everything making GBS threads itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i know of a multinational manufacturing company that is a major supplier to the commercial construction industry on two continents that has steadfastly refuses to implement WSUS. to the extent that anything is ever patched it's done manually machine by machine.

tbf, they didn't even have group policy implemented until two years ago

• Locked thread