Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I'd go with: bodywork, brake assembly, some piece of suspension linkage, something in the driveline post-diff like a drive plate or something (don't know if street cars use those), in that order. Do you have the equipment to get the car in the air enough for you to get under and nut n' bolt basically the entire rear end? Is there anything specific you can do to induce it? A reproducible condition would be very helpful

The only conditions I can think of are that it's never happened below 10 mph, but that's pretty obvious; it doesn't make noise while stationary, either. :v:

Now that I think about it, if it appears to be the same volume at any speed, that actually means that it must be louder at higher speeds; it's not like the 16-year-old car is silent at speed. So I shouldn't say it's unrelated to speed. The rate of clanking or how frequently it occurs doesn't seem to be related, though.

I do have a jack and some jackstands though, so that's a good idea. I'll spend an afternoon wiggling stuff about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Could be the rear, but it's probably bushings around the shock mounts/upper control arms. Hopefully it isn't the torque boxes, but if your car is basically stock you should be fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So said friend went for the test drive in the Mustang and said when he hit a pothole the car made an very loud clunk/crack sound from the rear. That scared him off and he bought the 2012 Focus his wife and I had been pushing for, yay!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Thank goodness for bad roads :haw:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Viggen posted:

..unless it's the V6 mustang.

My friend went from looking at a WRX to MS6 to... a Mustang V6 vert.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So said friend went for the test drive in the Mustang and said when he hit a pothole the car made an very loud clunk/crack sound from the rear. That scared him off and he bought the 2012 Focus his wife and I had been pushing for, yay!

He was prepared to disregard advice from his best friend and his wife?

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
It's a bit of a stretch, but does anyone know anything about the factory AC units in early Mustangs? I'm looking at a '66 that comes with a broken factory AC unit. The seller claims it "needs a new compressor." I've never really messed with AC before, and I especially have no idea how the separate units like this work. I'm going on the assumption that it's totally hosed and would need to be completely rebuilt. Any ideas what that would cost? I know there are tons of aftermarket drop-in ac systems for these but I'd prefer to use the original.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

lazer_chicken posted:

It's a bit of a stretch, but does anyone know anything about the factory AC units in early Mustangs? I'm looking at a '66 that comes with a broken factory AC unit. The seller claims it "needs a new compressor." I've never really messed with AC before, and I especially have no idea how the separate units like this work. I'm going on the assumption that it's totally hosed and would need to be completely rebuilt. Any ideas what that would cost? I know there are tons of aftermarket drop-in ac systems for these but I'd prefer to use the original.

A/C units aren't terribly complicated. You should be able to find a new compressor for it without much difficulty.

Rock Auto lists an A/C compressor for around $150-200, depending on if you get a new or reman unit. Bearing is sold separately in case that's what's failed, the compressor clutch is also a separate unit.

If it still has A/C in it (charged) you'll need to take it to a shop, they'll need to capture the freon before the compressor is removed and replaced. If the system is dry you can technically do the work in your driveway; I'd recommend converting to R134 or something though rather than using freon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

He was prepared to disregard advice from his best friend and his wife?

Yup. His wife wanted him to get a Mustang but she wanted him to get a V8 with a stick. And he thinks that I think I know everything about cars so he often disregards my advice about cars. He bought a Saturn Ion with a bad clutch about 6 years ago against my advice and dumped $1700 into fixing it the first month he had it.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Your wife wants you to get a V8 Mustang and you say, "No way honey, I'm getting the V6!" :psyduck:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vote_no posted:

Your wife wants you to get a V8 Mustang and you say, "No way honey, I'm getting the V6!" :psyduck:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure his friend's problem is complete retardation.

"No, I will NOT buy the objectively better car!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure his friend's problem is complete retardation.

"No, I will NOT buy the objectively better car!"

I think he was just doing it to go against what I said.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Rhyno posted:

I think he was just doing it to go against what I said.

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you bro but I think your best friend might just be dumb as hell

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you bro but I think your best friend might just be dumb as hell

You are most certainly not the first person to break that to me.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a little blower like the Roush m90 or doing the Dept of Boost kit. I wouldn't mind making 400 rwhp (about a 100 more than current) and don't really feel like making more than that since thats about the limit of reliable operation on the 3v. I figure 400 would get me competitive with the 5.0 and the random vettes and gtos. Would also stomp most imports. I also have 4.10s and I figured any more power and I'd be better off with my original 3.55.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 14, 2013

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Don't drive in the rain on bald tires.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Holy poo poo, is that yours?

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Yeah. Posted about hydroplaning and flipping it a couple weeks back.

Locobono fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 17, 2013

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How are you not dead? Or are you posting from the afterlife?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

amp281 posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a little blower like the Roush m90 or doing the Dept of Boost kit. I wouldn't mind making 400 rwhp (about a 100 more than current) and don't really feel like making more than that since thats about the limit of reliable operation on the 3v. I figure 400 would get me competitive with the 5.0 and the random vettes and gtos. Would also stomp most imports. I also have 4.10s and I figured any more power and I'd be better off with my original 3.55.

Gotta get dem imports :rice:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Locobono posted:

Don't drive in the rain on bald tires.

That will buff right out.

And how do you not have a head like this guy?

Is that...is that you?

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Elephanthead posted:

How are you not dead? Or are you posting from the afterlife?

No loving idea. I jumped out of the car when it stopped rolling and was sitting on the curb when the EMTs showed up and strapped me to a board. I got some staples for a laceration and that's it. Didn't see the car until two weeks later (Christmas break) when I went to the salvage yard to get my poo poo and take those pictures. When I saw it I had the same "holy poo poo" reaction.

Good thing I didn't get the 'vert or the glass roof

Locobono fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 17, 2013

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

amp281 posted:

I think 4.10s might be a little bit much for a car you want to drive on the street with either of those kits. If you wanted to keep those gears go with a centrifugal supercharger or go the turbo route.

Also, that Department of Boost kit is as cool as poo poo.

PS: Whatever gears you choose don't be stupid on the street

kronix fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 17, 2013

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kronix posted:

I think 4.10s might be a little bit much for a car you want to drive on the street with either of those kits. If you wanted to keep those gears go with a centrifugal supercharger or go the turbo route.

Also, that Department of Boost kit is as cool as poo poo.

PS: Whatever gears you choose don't be stupid on the street

4.10s are fine with as tall as the gearing in the transmission is. Also, you don't want a turbo with 4.10s; 3.27/3.55 is best.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Just curious, I don't know anyone running a blown 3v but wouldn't the instant torque from a roots style supercharger make the the 4.10s overkill? Wouldn't you want the 4.10s a turbocharged application to keep the car high in the power band?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So in less than 1500 miles since the 'fix', my front suspension is grinding again. Time to file a claim with Ford, I think. :suicide: A google search of 2012 mustang gt front suspension yields all sorts of fun stuff.

Plus also, the screen on the radio looks like it is broken/covered in frost. This is the result of wiping across with a slightly damp rag

:wtc:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got my '00 GT back from the shop today after its fluid change. Found out it has the limited slip differential, so the diff fluid was more expensive than I initially expected. Woo hoo!

They say they found some movement on the outer tie rod ends but it's not dangerous, just makes noise, should fix it eventually. Is this a major job on a Mustang? It was a giant pain on my MR2 and I am trying to gauge whether to plan on tackling it myself when it gets warmer out, or just take it in when I get too annoyed by the noise.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tide posted:

Plus also, the screen on the radio looks like it is broken/covered in frost. This is the result of wiping across with a slightly damp rag

:wtc:
My 2012 V6's radio looked like that after I let it sit for a month during my winter vacation.

Haven't bothered to clean it yet :effort:.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Same thing with mine.

Speaking of the sound system, is there any way to plug an iPod in via USB without it taking over the device? I've given up on SYNC and just want to play via the aux line, but if I try to charge it via USB at the same time I can't use the iPod. Anyone figure out a way to make sync not infuriating?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Necc0 posted:

Same thing with mine.

Speaking of the sound system, is there any way to plug an iPod in via USB without it taking over the device? I've given up on SYNC and just want to play via the aux line, but if I try to charge it via USB at the same time I can't use the iPod. Anyone figure out a way to make sync not infuriating?

What part of SYNC do you find infuriating? With the exception of a few non-English titled songs that it can't really understand, I've been extremely satisfied with how it works.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
About one out of three times I start my car it will fail to recognize the iPod, even though I haven't removed it or even opened the armrest. Despite everything I've done the only way to get it to recognize is to pull over, turn off the car and turn it on again. This is unacceptable. Of course you can't tell when this is happening because sometimes it just takes five minutes to start playing where you left off when you turned the car off last time. You can't touch anything during this period because SYNC will freak out and crash. Other times half way through a song it will stop, tell me 'index full, some songs may not be available' then continue to play. Sometimes the 'index full' is right when I start the car. It will screw with the song order of albums even though they're correct on the iPod/tagged correctly. The interface for selecting albums/artists/whatever is terrible and I'd rather just use the iPod.

None of these issues are consistent, and I can't find a reliable way to reproduce them. I would rather just use the aux line and go around SYNC entirely.

It functions just barely above 'broken' and if I were a manager on that project heads would be rolling. My googling has found tons of others with the same issues and no resolutions.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 19, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Use a cigarette lighter adapter to charge instead? If you have aux in, you should be able to pick up a couple-foot-long 3.5mm male to male headphone adapter quite cheap. Otherwise, they have those pretty awful FM transmitter devices that love to have tons of interference.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I have the AUX line, I've already used it and it works fine. The problem is charging via USB at the same time, as SYNC will take over the device and prevent me from using the AUX line. I'd like to charge with USB because it's what I already have, I'd rather not go out and buy the cigarette adapter if I don't have to.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Necc0 posted:

About one out of three times I start my car it will fail to recognize the iPod, even though I haven't removed it or even opened the armrest. Despite everything I've done the only way to get it to recognize is to pull over, turn off the car and turn it on again. This is unacceptable. Of course you can't tell when this is happening because sometimes it just takes five minutes to start playing where you left off when you turned the car off last time. You can't touch anything during this period because SYNC will freak out and crash. Other times half way through a song it will stop, tell me 'index full, some songs may not be available' then continue to play. Sometimes the 'index full' is right when I start the car. It will screw with the song order of albums even though they're correct on the iPod/tagged correctly. The interface for selecting albums/artists/whatever is terrible and I'd rather just use the iPod.

None of these issues are consistent, and I can't find a reliable way to reproduce them. I would rather just use the aux line and go around SYNC entirely.

It functions just barely above 'broken' and if I were a manager on that project heads would be rolling. My googling has found tons of others with the same issues and no resolutions.

Pop the SYNC fuse out and back in. I have to do this every couple months or so when it starts to sketch out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I figured the factory reset option would have been sufficient. Alright I'll try that, thanks.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

About one out of three times I start my car it will fail to recognize the iPod, even though I haven't removed it or even opened the armrest. Despite everything I've done the only way to get it to recognize is to pull over, turn off the car and turn it on again. This is unacceptable.

On mine, when it doesn't want to talk to my iPod Classic, I've had luck turning the stereo off for a couple minutes and back on again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What's the story with aftermarket grease-able tie rod ends? Worthwhile? The non-serviceable factory ends on mine are about done for and my thinking is this: instead of having to replace the new ones in another 80,000 miles (as if I'll have the car that long but who knows), why not order some upgrades from Summit Racing?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are you actually going to grease them when you change your oil? If not they won't help any.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wouldn't greasing them be the point of putting in greasable parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

michaelc243
Aug 13, 2005

I take my hat off for one thing, one thing only.
Ive been dealing with a few dealerships, got my price for a 2013 v6 automatic with the tech pack to $21,600. My question is though does the base model like the one I am getting come with an LSD differential without the performance pack?