Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mrenda posted:

I also managed to fire the lure about 20 metres directly into the water ahead of me a couple of times, I even skipped it along the water once. Another cock up was that I somehow managed to get my hand in the way of the unspooling cast line and ending up with an almighty tangle I had to cut loose.

Some things I need to work on include consistency in my cast, although I seem to be getting it further than I did in the field behind me with the 2oz lead. Part of that will also be less casting it into a really high arc so the line blows miles off the line I've casted on in the wind. I also need to figure out what exactly I'll do if I catch a fish. Having hooked nothing I don't know what it feels like, even though a few times I felt a tug on the line and when I reeled it in there was neither weed nor a fishy on it.

Distance will come with practice (and more expensive gear), but if you're only casting 20m or so the beach may not be the best place to cast from as the water 20m out may only be a meter deep and unlikely to hold fish. Piers and breakwalls will give you access to deeper water, if there's any in your area maybe give them a try.

Alternatively if you decide you like fishing, grab yourself a nice 9' graphite spinning rod like a Shimano Revolution Coastal, spool that reel with braid and enjoy casting metal lures 80m or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Then one day, I figured it out, almost by accident. I was pulling on the tag end (the little bit of left over line), and should have been focusing on pulling on the main line and the hook. When you do that, the knot slides down the line and "seats itself" on the hook. You can really feel it lock into place. (Putting some saliva on the knot really helps too.)

I think that's what I was slowly coming around to as I was doing it. You've confirmed it to me so I'll focus on that now. (And yeah, it was that clinch knot except twisting it around rather than looping it. And that twisting is something I've seen done on quite a few videos.)

Elmnt80 posted:

And I don't know if the guy at the shop told you, but with what you are fishing with, you'll need to set the hook. Don't just keep reeling towards you if you feel a thump through the rod. Lift the rod up and back while reeling quickly to dig the hook into the fish's mouth. Set it harder for the swimming baits that have a single hook, set it easier for the lures that have the treble (the 3 hooks in one) hook.

Nope. No-one explained this to me. I thought I had a fish a few times, but nothing came of it. I wasn't setting anything so either I was fooled by going through seaweed or some fishies escaped. I'll try it next time, but until I've caught a few fish I wont know what a fish coming close to the lure is like.

gay picnic defence posted:

Distance will come with practice (and more expensive gear), but if you're only casting 20m or so the beach may not be the best place to cast from as the water 20m out may only be a meter deep and unlikely to hold fish. Piers and breakwalls will give you access to deeper water, if there's any in your area maybe give them a try.

Alternatively if you decide you like fishing, grab yourself a nice 9' graphite spinning rod like a Shimano Revolution Coastal, spool that reel with braid and enjoy casting metal lures 80m or so.

The 20m casts were when I hosed up. I released my index finger too late and pretty much fired the lure directly into the water in front of me. When I was getting my casting right I was going maybe 50m. My best casts were probably around 65m. I was definitely casting further than I had been in my back garden, partly, I think, because I was casting across the wind rather than into it.

I'm still worried that I'm arcing the lures too high through the air rather than pushing them straight and directly out. I'd need to see what other people are doing to figure it out though, especially as it's almost impossible to follow the line on videos.

There's another few places I can try, that are off walls in the harbour. The guy in the shop said they were more suited to bottom fishing with bait and different gear, but catch-rates there seem to be much higher so it might be worth trying. I suppose my big worry there is the walls are high off the sea level and I've no drop net.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Don’t try and get to 80m though. You can do real damage with that much force if you gently caress it up. Just keep working on technique and the distance will come later

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Got a bamboo cane pole from the sporting goods store for 6 dollars on a whim and I had a ton of fun with it in the marsh.

Its length was what finally made the reason for those extremely long crappie rods clear to me: having a long rod allows you to fish precisely and quietly in heavy log/weed cover without snags since you just drop it in instead of casting.

With that obvious, but new knowledge in mind I put together an ultralight "marsh rod" panfish setup 9 feet in length, 6lb mono, and went back to the marsh for some awesome times fighting big bluegills and even a young pike.

This is a separate story but a week or so ago I was, take a guess, in the marsh at a spot near a bridge where the water was so clear you could see basically everything down there. I used a rapala to hook a sunny, and as I was reeling it in I noticed some strange commotion down there. Suddenly, a GIANT pike comes and steals it, all the other fish swim away, and it takes a huge bite of the sunfish before swimming off. Honestly that poo poo was slightly frightening lmao but I feel lucky to have seen it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mrenda posted:

The 20m casts were when I hosed up. I released my index finger too late and pretty much fired the lure directly into the water in front of me. When I was getting my casting right I was going maybe 50m. My best casts were probably around 65m. I was definitely casting further than I had been in my back garden, partly, I think, because I was casting across the wind rather than into it.

I'm still worried that I'm arcing the lures too high through the air rather than pushing them straight and directly out. I'd need to see what other people are doing to figure it out though, especially as it's almost impossible to follow the line on videos.

There's another few places I can try, that are off walls in the harbour. The guy in the shop said they were more suited to bottom fishing with bait and different gear, but catch-rates there seem to be much higher so it might be worth trying. I suppose my big worry there is the walls are high off the sea level and I've no drop net.
45 degrees is about right for casting. Aim lower if you’re casting with a head wind or a cross wind, aim a bit higher if you have the wind at your back for extra distance.

I just had a thought, have a look at the navionics webb app for your area. It isn’t 100% accurate but it should give you an idea of where you can find drop-offs and channels that might hold fish.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

People around here also seem to be very fond of shrimp for catfish. I don't know if it's because it works well (never has for me), or if it's because there's so much brackish water around that there's a fair chance *something* will eat it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I was going to make this a kayak fishing weekend and hit up my favorite lake (Mountain Island Lake) that is not dangerous with boat traffic. Sounds reasonable right?

Well it WAS until I read that the lake was contaminated with 100,000 gallons of raw sewage and has tested positive for E. Coli. We had torrential rain last week and it caused some significant flooding, and it was even worse in the foothills of NC...which drains into the Catawba river basin where I live near Charlotte.

Instead, tomorrow me and the manchild are duoing as wife has her "volunteering" activities to attend to nearly all day. So we are heading to Cabelas and I am going to get him situated with a rod and reel that is not cheap kid crap. I could let him use some of the older gear I have but some of the stuff needs some work and tuning. Hoping to find some kind of Quick-Fire trigger spinning set up like I have on 2 of my favorite set-ups. He is 6 so I don't quite see him getting into a baitcaster just yet. Thinking I might toss on some braid and then giving him a small topwater frog or something. The bobber was not really getting his attention so maybe seeing something on top and getting to play with it some will bring him more interest.

Worst case I could cast and have him reel, but earlier in the year he took interest with trying to learn how to cast and was actually doing pretty good with it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
(It isn't a double post if its hours apart right??)

Went fishing twice with my son today. We went to Cabela's first and I got him a small Shakespeare Ugly Stick combo they had. I knew the ugly stick would handle his accidental destructive behavior, because that is what my dad did with me. He picked out the frog he wanted to use with out me even mentioning that was the route i wanted to take. He had picked out a $20 one first and i suggested a smaller one, and he had no problem with that.

We did about a good 2 hours getting on the “lake” around 10am. We stopped, got lunch, took a break for a little, and came back and did another hour or 2. Kid was casting out really well.

He got casting down with-in about 10 casts and didn't get a bunch tangled up. Clicking the picture below should show that he does it pretty well with out even thinking about the bale too much. He started doing the pendulum with out me really instructing it.

Click to watch the future pro (we let him choose his clothes options whether they match or not):

I let him throw 1 with the baitcaster and it birdnested all the way to the spool. Spent 5 minutes getting it back to normal and then it nested every cast after to the point it knitted from spinning around itself and I just cut the line and hand-reeled in my chatter bait.

hagie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 15, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have never been able to tie an improved clinch knot that doesn't come untied with enough weight. Lost a lot of lures and fish that way. I don't know if it's because I'm left handed or just stupid or what but I always tie palomar knots now as they're pretty idiot proof. They do use a lot more line though.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I’m the same. The only knots I trust are palomar, rapala loop and FG

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The Uniknot will set you free.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think when I get home I'll make a video on tying the cinch knot my dad taught me that he learned from a sunday morning fishing show in the 80s. That's a knot hes been tying for 40ish years with very few issues.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Elmnt80 posted:

I think when I get home I'll make a video on tying the cinch knot my dad taught me that he learned from a sunday morning fishing show in the 80s. That's a knot hes been tying for 40ish years with very few issues.

Seriously. I had the exact same issues with the improved clinch knot, and feel like I "solved" it as I mentioned a few posts back. I can't guarantee it for everyone, but I had the exact same issues with the knot coming undone, and after learning where to draw on the knot to tighten it (the line and the hook, which makes the knot slide down the hook), I never had another knot slip for the rest of the year.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's why I like the San Diego jam knot. It's not the simplest or quickest, but because it is a jam knot, tension on the line only tightens the knot. It doesn't rely on pulling the tag line to tighten the knot. Plus it works equally well with light mono, heavy 50# mono, and even rope.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok I don't want to sound like a dick but I pretty much only use an improved clinch on everything from a #20 fly to a #2 circle hook. I've never had these issues I'm seeing here. And I'm talking mono, flouro or braid. Sometimes I'll do a double surgeons loop for a heavy weight but almost always it's an improved for everything. Also I've taught my kids to cast with a spinner reel in five tries. Just taught one to fly cast the other weekend in about twenty mins. I'm not some pro but none of this stuff is really hard. I'm really sorry if I'm coming across like an rear end in a top hat but I'm genuinely baffled.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Welp, I recorded a video on my potato phone. Youtube is being a cock and won't let me upload it though.

Edit: I suppose I'll try explaining it in lieu of a video.

1) Pass the line through the eye of your hook or lure
2) Slide the lure or hook down so your tag end is about 6 inches long
3) Pinch both the tag end and the main line in your off hand about 2 inches above the hook/lure
4) Make a loop with the tag end pointing back down toward the lure
5) Wrap the loose tag end around the main and tag lines 7 times moving back toward the lure
6) Put the loose tag end through the loop
7) Hold the tag end and the main line in your off hand while holding the lure with your main hand
8) Pull your hands away from each other to shrink the knot (wet beforehand if needed)
9) Let go of the tag end
10) While holding the main line with your off hand and the hook/line in you main hand, pull away from each other. This should slide the knot down to the lure and cinch it down tight.
11) Trim tag end at 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch

Edit: Well that was annoying. Its up now. I was too lazy to get out of bed, so its recorded on there. Enjoy. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcnPtwczmAk

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 17, 2019

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

King of Bees posted:

Ok I don't want to sound like a dick but I pretty much only use an improved clinch on everything from a #20 fly to a #2 circle hook. I've never had these issues I'm seeing here. And I'm talking mono, flouro or braid. Sometimes I'll do a double surgeons loop for a heavy weight but almost always it's an improved for everything. Also I've taught my kids to cast with a spinner reel in five tries. Just taught one to fly cast the other weekend in about twenty mins. I'm not some pro but none of this stuff is really hard. I'm really sorry if I'm coming across like an rear end in a top hat but I'm genuinely baffled.

For me, it was simply trying to tighten the knot too much by pulling on the tag end. Once I stopped doing that, the problem went away.

But I guarantee if you pull heavily on the tag end and not enough on the line and hook, the improved clinch knot won't tighten right and will slip away after casting, retrieving, and getting hits for a while.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

I screwed up a cast (flipped the bail or something) and launched my spoon at rocket speed about 5 feet to my left. Started reeling in and had somehow hooked a cutthroat trout through the roof if its mouth with the hook poking out between its nostrils. I have no idea how that happened, but hey, got my first cutthroat trout.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

King of Bees posted:

It's possible that I just do more routine predictable fishing than a lot of the posters here but I've been fishing maybe five years now with basic poo poo knots, mostly basic poo poo gear and I never do more than a mild wrist jerk to set a hook and I've been really really happy with how rarely I lose fish, how rarely I lose lures, really the whole experience.

The only times fishing feels like a struggle or a failure or an experience where I wish I was better is when I just didn't predict the weather, or wake up in time, or cast in an area where any fish are that part of the year. Aside from getting skunked and going home hungry, everything else has been really practical and I'm mostly still using advice the guy at the store gave me as a younger man.

I'm sure in a few weeks when I go for my first pike and musky hunt I'll be back asking where to get surgical grade leaders and how to tie the double inverted palomar knot, but man crappie fishing is easy and great and everybody should find one good spot for it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

On Sunday I went back to the same spot I bagged out a week before hoping for a repeat but unfortunately the fish weren't playing ball. I picked up a couple of small ones on plastics but let them go.

After spending a few hours catching very little I moved a few km to a spot where at some point when the sea level was lower a lava flow had run into the valley that is now a bay, and the remnants have formed a large, rocky, reefy spit that rises from about 10m depth to 3m. It's a very fishy spot and I anchored up in the deeper water just back from the spit and cast back towards it in the hope a small shark or snapper would cruise along the drop-off. Unfortunately all that careful planning came to nothing and after napping on the kayak for a few hours I pulled the pin and went back to the ramp.

I love that this particular soft plastic looks nothing like anything that swims yet the fish climb all over it time and time again. It outfished the pilchard cubes I was using as bait.

(that knot is what I know as an improved clinch knot, I use them for everything apart from mono heavier than about 80lb. I've found them very easy to tie with wet fingers and apart from the first 6 months after I took up fishing I can't recall ever having one pull)

These are the steps although at step 2 I wrap the tag twice around the mainline. I've tried to show that a bit better with a couple of photos.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

gonna crosspost this from the other thread...

Ghostnuke posted:

I read the whole thread over the last couple of weeks, and I've got the itch pretty bad. I used to fish a lot growing up, but I haven't been in probably close to 20 years. :negative:

Anyway I did some research and there is a small lake nearby that gets stocked with trout and I am super fuckin psyched to get in on that in a few months. There are also some ponds around town stocked with catfish, wiper, etc. As I said, it's been forever so all my gear is ancient. Can anyone give me some good builds that might work for both trout and wiper? Bonus points if the rod is telescoping or whatever you call it so it gets smaller.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wiper?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I believe it's some sort of hybrid bass.

edit: yup https://ksoutdoors.com/Fishing/Fish-Species/WIPER

edit 2: reading that, it sounds like I might want separate rods for trout and catfish/wiper

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 17, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Most rods for catching bass/catfish would destroy a delicate fish like a trout. And also have trouble casting trout lures. However a light spinning setup for doing trout fishing could probably do some good finesse work for bass.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Let's focus on a just trout build then. If I can clean up my old stuff, I think I might have catfish and bass covered already.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I have a 4 1/2 ugly stick I bought in 1991 I used to catch everything from trout to rockfish. drat thing can still bend tip to butt but the threads for the reel clamp are stripped. Now it’s just a wall hanger. Wish they made them like that still.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new pole. I was at Gander Mountain earlier today and somebody there pointed me toward Lew’s Mach II and Mach Crush stuff, but said that Ugly Stik makes good rods too.

I know I can get a perfectly serviceable pole for not a lot of money, but how much better would my life be with the pricey Lew’s poo poo with the 15-20 lbs of drag vs a basic Ugly Stik? This is gonna be for freshwater lake (and hopefully bass) fishing.

I’m also wondering what kind of reel I should go with. The last reel I bought was a spin reel, but I think I’m more comfortable with the push-button stuff because that’s what I learned to fish with as a kid. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 18, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a fancy rear end version of the crush/mach rods that Lews gives away along with a crush baitcaster. The rod is definitely nice and sensitive, plus after some slight cleaning and adjusting the reel feels as solid as my other setups. I liked it enough that was strongly considering one of the Lews combos for my next spinning setup, but was concerned how about how easily I could pass a leader knot (even the FG or Alberto I've been using) through that first guide by reel. The sensitivity and good drag are worth the money in a spinning setup. I've had ugly sticks before and they aren't bad in the slightest, but there are better options out there.

As for the reel, spinning reels are usually a strong step up in quality from your basic zebco type push button spincaster. The biggest differences will come in with the smoother drag, longer casting and increased reliability with the spinning reel.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m hoping the Lew’s stuff goes on sale again in the near future. The guy I talked to at Gander Mountain told me it was just on sale for Father’s Day, but that the sale ended yesterday. :argh:

Any chance of fishing gear going on sale anywhere for 4th of July?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nothing beats a spinning reel for throwing light tackle.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay so right now I’m looking at a Lew’s Mach Crush with a spincast reel. Is there any particular reason I should look into a Lew’s Mach II instead besides the lower price tag? Or a baitcast reel instead of a spincast?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The main difference between the two rods is going to be the material its made of, IM6 with the Mach 2 vs IM8 on the Crush. IM8 will be a stronger and more sensative material. The bearings in the crush reel will also be a bit nicer. I think on the baitcasters the crush has 20lbs of drag vs 15lbs on the Mach 2, but I'm not sure if that carries to the spinning reels. Honestly, theres nothing wrong with using the spinning reel over the baitcaster if you're more comfortable with it. The rod on the spinning combo should be a medium/fast and the baitcasting rod will be a medium heavy/fast, but it does have more taper to it than a normal fast action rod.

Basically, everything is a bit better if you spring for the crush, but the mach 2 is good too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Elmnt80 posted:

The main difference between the two rods is going to be the material its made of, IM6 with the Mach 2 vs IM8 on the Crush. IM8 will be a stronger and more sensative material. The bearings in the crush reel will also be a bit nicer. I think on the baitcasters the crush has 20lbs of drag vs 15lbs on the Mach 2, but I'm not sure if that carries to the spinning reels. Honestly, theres nothing wrong with using the spinning reel over the baitcaster if you're more comfortable with it. The rod on the spinning combo should be a medium/fast and the baitcasting rod will be a medium heavy/fast, but it does have more taper to it than a normal fast action rod.

Basically, everything is a bit better if you spring for the crush, but the mach 2 is good too.

I only ask about spincast vs baitcast because the guy at Gander told me that a spincast reel was a bit better for a novice like myself, but I’m wondering if that’s actually true or if a baitcast has any reliability or other problems that a spincast doesn’t have.

I’m perfectly willing to get a baitcast reel if it’s better.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A baitcaster gives you a lot more fine tuning through adjusting the spool tension and magnetic braking, but has issues throwing lures under 3/8 oz (for me at least) and trouble throwing into the wind. You also have to accept the fact that you're going to backlash at first. Alot. And you'll still backlash occasionally when you've been using them for years.

As for reliability, I used my crush reel to go flipping and pitching grass mats with a 1 1/2oz weight all day for 3 days in Okeechobee. I started having an issue with the drag sliding easily even when the drag was cranked down and there too much slop in the handle shaft, but taking it off and cleaning the washers, etc under the handle and re-tightening the handle nut fixed it. I haven't had any issues since then, but there was a bunch of sludge in there from that trip.

For comparisons sake, every spinning reel I've owned has taken all the abuse I could throw at it including salt water usage without being washed off with no issues. Its also what I hand someone that hasn't used a baitcaster before or been fishing in a while because it will be way easier for them to operate. And I can fish without hearing the stream of profanity from their mouth because they backlashed yet again.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 18, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SlyFrog posted:

Seriously. I had the exact same issues with the improved clinch knot, and feel like I "solved" it as I mentioned a few posts back. I can't guarantee it for everyone, but I had the exact same issues with the knot coming undone, and after learning where to draw on the knot to tighten it (the line and the hook, which makes the knot slide down the hook), I never had another knot slip for the rest of the year.

I thought I had solved my problem the exact same way towards the end of last summer, and then I lost a nice size fish from an unraveling knot again. I think I'm probably passing it back through in the wrong direction or something stupid like that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m assuming the answer to this is no, but is there a fish finder that you can use without a boat? I don’t have a boat and have no hope of getting one in the foreseeable future, and I’ve been told that there aren’t a lot of boat rental options in my area, but fish finders seem handy.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m assuming the answer to this is no, but is there a fish finder that you can use without a boat? I don’t have a boat and have no hope of getting one in the foreseeable future, and I’ve been told that there aren’t a lot of boat rental options in my area, but fish finders seem handy.

They're not as good as the boat-mounted ones (for obvious reasons), but there are some reasonably decent castable finders. They look like giant bobbers; you cast them out into the water, they take a quick sonar snapshot, and send it back to your phone by Bluetooth or wifi.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

I. M. Gei posted:

I only ask about spincast vs baitcast because the guy at Gander told me that a spincast reel was a bit better for a novice like myself, but I’m wondering if that’s actually true or if a baitcast has any reliability or other problems that a spincast doesn’t have.

I’m perfectly willing to get a baitcast reel if it’s better.

As someone who was in your position not too long ago, I'd recommend the spinning rod as your first setup. Baitcasters have some benefits. But there's a lot of styles of fishing they're not really appropriate for. A "medium" spinning setup can be used for nearly any style.

Baitcasters also require more adjustment to function properly, something that for me at least is a neverending project. The frustration level, and the consequences of mistakes will be higher with a caster. I also feel like casters are more complicated to manufacture and that you get a little more quality/$ with spinning reels. My experience with the entry level caster I bought was particularly frustrating.

I slightly prefer the baitcaster when fishing a lure that I'll be casting a lot, or when I need a stiff rod, but I use one spinning rod for the other 75% of the time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yond Cassius posted:

They're not as good as the boat-mounted ones (for obvious reasons), but there are some reasonably decent castable finders. They look like giant bobbers; you cast them out into the water, they take a quick sonar snapshot, and send it back to your phone by Bluetooth or wifi.

Is this one any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Deeper-Smart...ps%2C171&sr=1-1

Or is there something more cost-effective out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone know much about cane pole fishing or telescoping poles?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5SL6N/ref=psdc_3409871_t1_B000B5A6VM

Basically am just looking for something cheap / simple to fish in the river that runs adjacent to my property. Fish would be brook and rainbow trout and supposedly there are freshwater eels. There are a lot of tree falls and trees right up to and over the river so fly casting and spincasting are problematic. My wife has been fishing it a good bit and spends more time cleaning up snags and losing hooks to the trees / shrubs than anything. Anyone used something like in the link there or have a recommendation for something like that / line+leader suggestions?

The river is only 10-15' wide and about 4' deep along our property. Just 200 yds downstream is a more open pool on the river where I've watched people haul in some decent sized rainbow trout so I know there's stuff going by here.