Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
With Spidey 100 / Rag 97 / (Maggie 102 | Widow 80-ish), I was as high as 5th with an hour to go.

Then the crabs came. Oh, so many, many crabs.

Ended up with 350-ish points and Top 75. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
What's a good build for Black Widow Original? I just picked up a fourth purple cover, but still have 0 blue and and only one black, and so wanted to find out before I blow the fourth purple.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

So how did people find the three star tournament? It just made me realise how much I depend on Thor and Wolverine to quickly smash down opponents before they can do any damage. Thankfully with Spidey levelled up a fair bit now, I can afford slightly slower matches while healing up damage. Grey Widow and Dr Doom turned out to be my most reliable hitters, though it does leave the team a bit on the fragile side.

Pretty similar experience to yours - I was running 81 IM40, 81 Spidey and 56 Grey Widow and while I never really had any problems with any of the fights, they just took forever. With boosts though you basically get Iron Man's recharge going early, at which point you can then pretty much stunlock the other team into oblivion, and any shots they do get off get soaked up by three protect tiles at 180 apiece. In one game it got so silly I even used missile barrage while watching stun timers.

That said, as delfin mentioned, literally every second I went over 400, I got plinked for 35 points almost immediately. My slacker matchmaking held up in the NHB tourney, but it was definitely apparent in the 3-Star that I was back in the "everyone gets murdered" bracket.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

It's a great design for an event eh? Random chance dictates how you will finish. As long as you keep rolling badly and get *20* iso rewards you can keep earning points. Get a bad set of rolls and get all 4 rewards right in a row? Whoops! Enjoy that consolation prize.

e: VVVV I think there are two types of missions, "one and done" and then limited repeats. The missions that unlock another area seem to be you complete it once, get one of the four rewards and then it locks. The other ones seem to be repeatable until you run out of prizes to be awarded but then they lock.

On top of all that is a changing number of shields you can earn. Checking back at different times to the same mission without running it has had the shield rewards vary wildly. The only thing that seems constant there is every time you run the mission the reward value decreases, if it's low and you run it it will drop to nothing. I've also worked one down to 6 and then gone away and come back to have it be 35. Also it will drop mid-mission as well making me think it's dependent on other players behaviors.

That's not how it works at all. There are a certain number of repeats (5 I think) per mission for the side events. It doesn't matter if you get all the rewards or not, it will drop after each mission until there are no more points. After some hours, the points will reset.

The points you get are also dependent on your overall score on the main leader board. Say, at the beginning mission A will give 100, mission B gives 200. Do mission B, mission A's points will drop since your global score has gone up.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

Murgos posted:

It's a great design for an event eh? Random chance dictates how you will finish. As long as you keep rolling badly and get *20* iso rewards you can keep earning points. Get a bad set of rolls and get all 4 rewards right in a row? Whoops! Enjoy that consolation prize.

e: VVVV I think there are two types of missions, "one and done" and then limited repeats. The missions that unlock another area seem to be you complete it once, get one of the four rewards and then it locks. The other ones seem to be repeatable until you run out of prizes to be awarded but then they lock.

On top of all that is a changing number of shields you can earn. Checking back at different times to the same mission without running it has had the shield rewards vary wildly. The only thing that seems constant there is every time you run the mission the reward value decreases, if it's low and you run it it will drop to nothing. I've also worked one down to 6 and then gone away and come back to have it be 35. Also it will drop mid-mission as well making me think it's dependent on other players behaviors.

This isn't accurate. The mission points decrease each time you beat them and it appears to recharge ~12 hours after you do them.

For reference: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1526

Mr. Met posted:

What's a good build for Black Widow Original? I just picked up a fourth purple cover, but still have 0 blue and and only one black, and so wanted to find out before I blow the fourth purple.

The best build seems to be 3/5/5. That gives you the really nice healing, the reasonably priced AP steal, and also the extra damage from the black ability (which double dips on things like Wolverine's strike tiles)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there a wiki or something I can read up on mission rewards? I want to check which ones contain HP that I may have missed because it takes like 20 seconds for the rewards to scroll on a mission. I'd rather have a list of missions and I can weed through them instead of one by one.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Dizz posted:

Is there a wiki or something I can read up on mission rewards? I want to check which ones contain HP that I may have missed because it takes like 20 seconds for the rewards to scroll on a mission. I'd rather have a list of missions and I can weed through them instead of one by one.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The final mission in Canada doesn't give me any points despite the other 3 missions resetting.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Same here. I wonder if it's something screwy with the mission unlock coding.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

bubbapook posted:

That said, as delfin mentioned, literally every second I went over 400, I got plinked for 35 points almost immediately. My slacker matchmaking held up in the NHB tourney, but it was definitely apparent in the 3-Star that I was back in the "everyone gets murdered" bracket.

The bracket sizes were bigger plus the number of people who had competitive 3*s is a more hardcore/lucky group. Mine were in the level 30s and I just gave up because breaking 100 would be the signal for people to attack. I ended up with some standard tokens, oh well :v:

On other news, the Hulk missions definitely got more fun now that we recruited the Big Green Man himself. We're back to the crazy 3-4 sub-events thing, which is more interesting than grinding out 1 or 2 mission sets. Plus Hulk trash talking everyone is endlessly amusing.

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
I'm not sure whats going on, but in Greenland a new event popped up for me advertising a level 85 Juggy and Rag for 536 points each. Well, when I attack them, they are level 1 Juggy and level 15 Rag. Score!

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Rod Flanders posted:

I'm not sure whats going on, but in Greenland a new event popped up for me advertising a level 85 Juggy and Rag for 536 points each. Well, when I attack them, they are level 1 Juggy and level 15 Rag. Score!

The mission with lvl 200+ Jugs/Rags/Hammer that gives you Hulk to use is also showing up as lvl 1 Jugs and lvl 15 Rags.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

This kind of thing happened during the Hunt event too. The bug isn't going to last forever though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Well, I farmed the 1/15 one until it's only giving me 64 points a pop. Not a bad little points boost, think it netted me 5 levels of event rewards.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

mania posted:

The mission with lvl 200+ Jugs/Rags/Hammer that gives you Hulk to use is also showing up as lvl 1 Jugs and lvl 15 Rags.

Where is this one?

e: never mind, found it, you have to first beat the level 110 rag / jug / lieutenant combo. I did this SO CLOSE, I had jug last up down to 90hp, he used a snow drift, got a 6-point red combo, and headbutted my last-up wolverine to death, killing himself and winning me the match!

iRend fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

iRend posted:

Where is this one?

Last Greenland mission.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The bugged missions isn't the real story though. The real story is that rubberbanding is back and it's giving a boatload of points, meaning that progression rewards are less impossible and it's actually fun to compete in the leaderboards.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
All-Avengers Tournament? This is going to be a bloodbath now that everyone and their grandma has max Thor and Wolverine. I wonder what the third big danger will be. I'm really hoping a level 100 Spider-Man will make people hesitate but it sure didn't in the 3 Star fight!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Gallow posted:

All-Avengers Tournament? This is going to be a bloodbath now that everyone and their grandma has max Thor and Wolverine. I wonder what the third big danger will be. I'm really hoping a level 100 Spider-Man will make people hesitate but it sure didn't in the 3 Star fight!

my bracket is all like 2/2/2 or 2/15/3 teams. I'm in first too, so it isn't even just the ranking up. I have yet to see anything over 30

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Gallow posted:

That's the thing -- with boosts and derpy AI, there _are_ no safe teams any more. I was grumbling over 'why would you attack me' at people in the 3* tournament and then thought, yeah, I was taking on a guy with 140/140/140 and not blinking.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

delfin posted:

That's the thing -- with boosts and derpy AI, there _are_ no safe teams any more. I was grumbling over 'why would you attack me' at people in the 3* tournament and then thought, yeah, I was taking on a guy with 140/140/140 and not blinking.

That is what I really didn't want to admit to myself. When you can pretty much lock down the other team with six blue at least long enough to kill one guy off, all bets are off. Or you have someone else's Rags star a massive churn that culminates in an IM 40 nuke to the face. Or the same thing but classic Magneto one-shotting someone. Everyone's a whale now!

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Holiday sale on ISO is better than it has been, almost tempted to do the $65 (NZD, probably $50 US) for 50,111 ISO but I kinda wish it was hero coins.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

WetSpink posted:

Holiday sale on ISO is better than it has been, almost tempted to do the $65 (NZD, probably $50 US) for 50,111 ISO but I kinda wish it was hero coins.

This. Buying ISO is frankly, absurd. And until they make it actually remotely good value for money, hero coins are a no-go for me.

Then again, perhaps they're keeping those crazy prices because people pay 'em.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh boy. A 2000 point mission popped up in greenland for me but its a fixed team of Spidey, Hulk and Punisher.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Oh boy. A 2000 point mission popped up in greenland for me but its a fixed team of Spidey, Hulk and Punisher.

I don't think Spidey is fixed? or atleast the 2000 point for me was Hulk and Punisher and I used Wolverine - not sure if it was Greenland or not but I milked that baby so hard got many progression rewards.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

I had to do my best to keep the enemy locked while the molotovs spread their cute little 15 damage attacks tiles all over. What a slog.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Spidey's not fixed, but he was my pick and thank gently caress for that because that mission takes forever. If I hadn't had total stunlock thanks to a couple of snow drifts, it would have been utterly impossible with two lvl 15's.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

bubbapook posted:

Spidey's not fixed, but he was my pick and thank gently caress for that because that mission takes forever. If I hadn't had total stunlock thanks to a couple of snow drifts, it would have been utterly impossible with two lvl 15's.

WetSpink is right: Wolverine is the way to go on that mission.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

bubbapook posted:

I cannot make that one happen with 4 cost blue spidey. I put in wolverine so I could amp the damage, but rags is such utter bullshit that it will not happen. Seriously, 2 AP attack is retarded.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gallow posted:

WetSpink is right: Wolverine is the way to go on that mission.

Wolverine is the way to go with EVERY mission. It's sick.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The correct way to do that mission is when it's bugged to a level 1 Juggernaut and level 15 Ragnarok :yum:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Karnegal posted:

I cannot make that one happen with 4 cost blue spidey. I put in wolverine so I could amp the damage, but rags is such utter bullshit that it will not happen. Seriously, 2 AP attack is retarded.

I was able to reliably get it done with +All / +BP and a 3-stun Spidey, but it took forever. As recommended, switching to a maxed Wolverine turned it into a cakewalk, and even with Rag's bullshit non-stop attacks after a couple of feral claws he shuts up.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

Ok, who has a strategy for the Needy mission? By the time I got rid of the HAMMER goon, they finished my Spider-Man off and everyone else was clinging to life.

EDIT: Made it through on the 2nd attempt. Wolverine died from Juggernaut's one-two combo instead of Spider-Man.

Gallow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 24, 2013

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
So i take it i'm the only one for whom all the hulk missions are bugged and everyone is level 15?

Raking in these hulk points.

e: also every award is modern hawkeye and I get a +150% damage to hammer boost every round.

iRend fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 24, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm #24 in the main event after gunning through all the subevents at once for hundreds of points per mission. I'm like top 50 for every subevent too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This Hulk event brought my Wolverine from level 30 to level 85. Do those PvE events, y'all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The subevents are pretty generous, as long as you get in the top 600 the prize is a powered token, which is a Wolvie, Cap, Spidey or Punisher. I like those odds. Top 1500 for the main event will keep me happy too. Top 300 would be nice but we will see how that goes.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

bubbapook posted:

I was able to reliably get it done with +All / +BP and a 3-stun Spidey, but it took forever. As recommended, switching to a maxed Wolverine turned it into a cakewalk, and even with Rag's bullshit non-stop attacks after a couple of feral claws he shuts up.

my wolverine is 5/3/4 at level 49. It really pisses me off because my rank tanking while I can't cash in, and meanwhile people are cakewalking the bugged 1/15 poo poo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

The subevents are pretty generous, as long as you get in the top 600 the prize is a powered token, which is a Wolvie, Cap, Spidey or Punisher. I like those odds. Top 1500 for the main event will keep me happy too. Top 300 would be nice but we will see how that goes.

Until the rubberbanding started ramping up I was pretty confident about top 300, I'd been in the top 50 the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Karnegal posted:

my wolverine is 5/3/4 at level 49. It really pisses me off because my rank tanking while I can't cash in, and meanwhile people are cakewalking the bugged 1/15 poo poo

Yep yep. I thought I was in a bracket with a lot of people who couldn't handle the level 100+ Dark Avengers and Hammer mercs, because I got to ~300 last night once those Greenland missions came out. Today I have grubbed my way back to 4500 by grinding those high-level missions a lot more than last night. Either a lot of people took the night off last night or there are a lot of people smashing through those level 15 Ragnaroks.