Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

Stinky Pit posted:

Zusi and Beasley both were very poor and I'm surprised US fans don't have any frustrations with their performances.

i have the feeling bradley made up for his poo poo mistakes by doing good work offensively or if you want to look at it the other way, the good work he did was blotted out by his mistakes - but he did do good work imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the goal was scored within the allotted five minutes and the five minutes were given thanks to the constant injuries and the shameless american timewasting

football is the only sport that matters

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Portugal and the USMNT lose 2-2.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Stinky Pit posted:

Zusi and Beasley both were very poor and I'm surprised US fans don't have any frustrations with their performances.

Actually Beasley had one of his best games I've ever seen. Keep in mind I've cursed him since 2002 for being a fraud. Zusi was forgettable poo poo. The other German on the right was solid.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I actually think we did pretty well this game outside of a few regrettable moments of stupidity. I am not really banking on us beating Germany, but a draw is possible. Things are surprisingly kind of open right now in the group, outside of Germany of course.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Regardless what happens from now on this is still the best World Cup ever.

The Americans should be taken seriously from now on out and that is definitely a first.

Last year we advanced due to a freak mistake and incredibly good fortune. This year we've gotten 3 points through some luck and a point that was well earned against a side that deserves respect and we have a good chance at moving on.

I'm happy.

Plus obviously the rest of the cup had been insanely good.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It'd be cool if they were more precise about timekeeping, but it seems like substantial justice was done here here since the US wasted tons of time after 90 minutes. It'd be cool if they had a way to give more points in tie games to the team that had the advantage in play (shots on goal + corners, perhaps?) to stop turtling/bus-parking (a problem hockey also has). They have made the game better in the past with rules changes that didn't "ZOMG AMERICANIZE" everything--like when they got rid of the ability to pass the ball to your own keeper who could pick it up and punt it out. What a crock of poo poo that was, and it happened all the loving time when I first started watching in 1990. Anyway, it's also fine if they leave everything the way it is. Because it's something fun to get into for a month every four years, like short-track speedskating or the modern pentathalon. Go USA. Go Ghana. Go Les Blues!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Maradonna Summer posted:

i have the feeling bradley made up for his poo poo mistakes by doing good work offensively or if you want to look at it the other way, the good work he did was blotted out by his mistakes - but he did do good work imo

I can't think of a US attack that didn't involve him in some way.

I can't believe Beckerman gets away with being massively invisible for huge portions of the game. He does little defensively, and his contributions are often the most basic and rudimentary passes, always something safe, uninspired, and generally getting the US nowhere. I get that Bradley made some mistakes but I'll take a player with some flaws that brings something positive to the table instead of someone like Beckerman who doesn't make mistakes because he's never doing anything.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Mr. Mambold posted:

Actually Beasley had one of his best games I've ever seen. Keep in mind I've cursed him since 2002 for being a fraud. Zusi was forgettable poo poo. The other German on the right was solid.

Well other than that whole missing a clearance that led to a goal thing.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

yes it is

hell if you absolutely must have stoppage time because tradition have them keep track of it in the booth and let everyone know what it is after 90. This isn't difficult. And it makes your game more exciting! Because you are focused on the action! Not on what the ref is feeling like that day.

Nobody gives a poo poo and you're wrong and gay shut up retard

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Beasley did great. I'm confused why anyone would think otherwise.

Do they give stoppage time for stupid poo poo like players retying shoelaces?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Came back from a bar where we had an amazing time watching the match, but holy poo poo how deflating that was. I now know how you feel, the rest of the world!

I don't think we need to change the way stoppage time is handled, but for the sake of argument: the counterpoint is that this moment would be at least as exciting if Ronaldo is dribbling down the wing when everyone knows he only has 6 seconds or whatever to make a cross in to equalize the match. Either way is fine to me though, I'm not going to be the rear end in a top hat who complains about the way the sport has been handled for forever (and hell, it's much better than it used to be, since at least they give us an estimate of stoppage time now).

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

I can't think of a US attack that didn't involve him in some way.

I can't believe Beckerman gets away with being massively invisible for huge portions of the game. He does little defensively, and his contributions are often the most basic and rudimentary passes, always something safe, uninspired, and generally getting the US nowhere. I get that Bradley made some mistakes but I'll take a player with some flaws that brings something positive to the table instead of someone like Beckerman who doesn't make mistakes because he's never doing anything.

agreed the dude looks like a hacky sack regional champion who made it onto the team via a series of hilarious accidents involving lube and bongs

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Your team should be playing with 10 men since like the 15th minute you loving dumb rear end in a top hat who cares about 30 secs of extra time

Haha, you're mad. And swarthy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Suqit posted:

Well other than that whole missing a clearance that led to a goal thing.

Which missed clearance that led to a goal, 1st or 2nd? lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it really is a funny old game

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Suqit posted:

Nah. He was playing behind two legends and left for more playing time and lots more money.

He would have ended up at a mid table team in a big league if he were a decent player. You don't go running back to MLS at 26 if you are any kind of decent.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Little Kielbasa posted:

It'd be cool if they were more precise about timekeeping, but it seems like substantial justice was done here here since the US wasted tons of time after 90 minutes.

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/480871079968505856

quote:

Was just told slow Zusi sub added 1 extra minute of time. Was 4' then 4th official changed board when he walked slowly. #USA

Is this true?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Hm, there's a lot of "I'm not gonna complain because I love football, but listen to my complaint" posts all of a sudden.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

It'd be cool if they were more precise about timekeeping, but it seems like substantial justice was done here here since the US wasted tons of time after 90 minutes. It'd be cool if they had a way to give more points in tie games to the team that had the advantage in play (shots on goal + corners, perhaps?) to stop turtling/bus-parking (a problem hockey also has).

Please stop. Just stop, no.

your team drew last minute, i know its hard but it would not be "cool" to get rid of ties and get rid of viable ways to play the game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

USA port was great competition great drama great entertainment holy poo poo that owned

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

it is - and it all evens out in the end

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

It'd be cool if they were more precise about timekeeping
The referee usually blows during a lull in action after the pre-announced stoppage time minute has passed (so not 4:30 in a +5 like it was here), just so any last attacks that have already materialized don't get cut off short. It lets the game finish in an organic way that is fair to teams that are getting screwed by time-wasters.

It's better imo than something like american football where the last 5 minutes are a guy kneeling repeatedly to kill the last two minutes of clock time.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Bradley is mediocre as gently caress and has somehow been reimagined (probably due to some godawful Deadspin and Bleacher Report articles) as a star player, underappreciated by discriminating anti-American Europeans, who can singlehandedly drag a team to victory.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

It'd be cool if they were more precise about timekeeping, but it seems like substantial justice was done here here since the US wasted tons of time after 90 minutes. It'd be cool if they had a way to give more points in tie games to the team that had the advantage in play (shots on goal + corners, perhaps?) to stop turtling/bus-parking (a problem hockey also has). They have made the game better in the past with rules changes that didn't "ZOMG AMERICANIZE" everything--like when they got rid of the ability to pass the ball to your own keeper who could pick it up and punt it out. What a crock of poo poo that was, and it happened all the loving time when I first started watching in 1990. Anyway, it's also fine if they leave everything the way it is. Because it's something fun to get into for a month every four years, like short-track speedskating or the modern pentathalon. Go USA. Go Ghana. Go Les Blues!
kill yourself and stop posting in these threads gently caress

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

It is in every other sport.

Its literally the worst part of soccer, a major source of subjective(or even corruption)mistakes. There isn't anything defensible about it. In every other sport, you need to do better than the other team within a certain amount of time. Not whenever the ref feels like its a good time to stop.

The thrill should come at seeing if one team can hold off another. The anxiety shouldn't be at whether the ref is going to stop the game.

I hope some day they understand how to keep time. It really is sad.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Rodatose posted:

It's better imo than something like american football where the last 5 minutes are a guy kneeling repeatedly to kill the last two minutes of clock time.

loving agreed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TyrantWD posted:

He would have ended up at a mid table team in a big league if he were a decent player. You don't go running back to MLS at 26 if you are any kind of decent.

You're wrong. He and Dempsey both wanted significant minutes in their year leading up to this, the most awesome world cup in the annals of time....believe it or not, regular playing time in MLS > bench time in Serie A or PL.

Maradonna Summer posted:

it is - and it all evens out in the end

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

R. Mute posted:

the goal was scored within the allotted five minutes and the five minutes were given thanks to the constant injuries and the shameless american timewasting

football is the only sport that matters

And quite frankly, there should have been more than 5 minutes with all the time wasting the US did.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is a serious post, someone more familiar with football help me out here:

For the record there's no way I'd bench Bradley. That seems dumb. But am I mistaken that he turned the ball over a fuckload and helped provide Portugal with a ton of opportunities? For the record I'm not putting it all on his shoulders; in my admittedly inexperienced eyes, the whole team had loving stupid plays. But Bradley is the one I noticed most in a negative sense. I could be totally wrong, which is why I'm asking. I'd like to get more knowledgeable about football and would appreciate more nuanced insight if anyone wants to bother. Thanks. :)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Smeef posted:

Bradley is mediocre as gently caress and has somehow been reimagined (probably due to some godawful Deadspin and Bleacher Report articles) as a star player, underappreciated by discriminating anti-American Europeans, who can singlehandedly drag a team to victory.

I think it is more that there is no one better to replace him with at this point. Someone else said it well:

Stinky Pit posted:

I get that Bradley made some mistakes but I'll take a player with some flaws that brings something positive to the table instead of someone like Beckerman who doesn't make mistakes because he's never doing anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Instant replay and an obsession with the false reality of exactness is killing American sports and I'm glad it's not in soccer.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Blinkz0rz posted:

It sure is...

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Goalieless-goal, Bradley has the volley and can't put it anywhere except right at the defender? Six turnovers solely from him? He got caught ball-watching half the game and others had to pick up his slack. If you think he played well or even acceptable you are a loving idiot.

Amazing game overall though, can't wait to see the outcome of the group.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

I think it is more that there is no one better to replace him with at this point. Someone else said it well:

Ya don't get me wrong, I don't think he's poo poo or anything. He's one of the better players on the team, but in the lead up to the WC there was a big push to portray him as some talismanic talent instead of a slightly better player on a team that is successful by being better than the sum of its parts.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Stinky Pit posted:

You are off your rocker. Beasley had a solid game and seemed to be everywhere at times. He was hitting a higher gear than any Portugal player out there and he barely put a foot wrong all night. Dempsey had an excellent game as well but Jones was clearly man of the match. Got the goal and was strong in the midfield. Broke up play often and combined well to bring the ball forward.

I didn't think Bradley played that poorly tbh. Gave the ball away a number of times but its not like the front player in a CM triangle has to PRESS PRESS PRESS. He picked out some good passes, was generally positive and I thought he did well to get that shot on target. His error was giving the ball away with 30 seconds of stoppage time left which, after playing 90 minutes in a sauna, is hardly "Fire him into the sun" bad. If you can think of a better player to put in that midfield triangle, please let me know.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I have long been a fan of Bradley but he has been poor for most of this World Cup

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Darth Windu posted:

This is some dumb loving reasoning op, beckerman was great, he was breaking up play, making safe passes, and getting in good position to let Bradley make safe passes when he wasn't going full retard and trying silly chips and flicks.

Beckerman was like a lovely dreadlocked Busquets and that was a good thing.

Bradley was ball watching and turning the ball over and not tracking back and generally being real bad, op. Not a good mentality to have as the focal point of the midfield.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I always feel like if an equalizer is scored after 5 minutes of stoppage time the team that got stung deserves it. I only caught the last 15 minutes of the game but the US was stalling shamelessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
But guys guys guys, what if Landon Donovan was one the center instead of Bradley...

• Locked thread