Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Introduction

Welcome to the Match Day thread for Sunday, June 22nd 2014 of the 20th World Cup, hosted in Brazil.

England, Spain, Australia, Cameroon, and Bosnia Herzegovina are heading home before round 3 of the group stage :smith:

And now, a moment for our sponsors.

Without them, this tournament would not exist.

Today is the final day of three non-samey-time matches of this world cup :( and features Groups H & G.

The Matches

Dark Horse plays future host and former Ingerland boss Fabio Capello.

Hazard and company are coming off a decent result against Algeria, and will likely look to put Russia under. I personally found Russia to be very boring in their draw to South Korea. Kerzhakov was on the Russian team in 2002, that is something.

This did make me laugh pretty hard.
http://www.gfycat.com/SilkyNextDragon

I honestly don't know much about these teams. I think Korea is well managed (by a local) from what I have seen. Neither did much for me in the first round. In an effort to tie this to the USMNT, I will mention that Landon Donovan scored a goal against Algeria and advanced the US in 2010 .

The game that matters. In today's finale, the United States of America will be squaring up with the CR7 and Portugal.

No fat man for US of A.

CR7 has tendenosis and an injury list/banned Pepe.

TL;DR. This American predicts Belgium Russia should be interesting, USA and Portugal should be a cracker.

This match does impact US of A. If they win, they advance to the round of 16, automatically. Huge stakes for Group H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Full day of poo poo teams

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Agreed.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Here's Nate Silver's analysis of Group G.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

Cool.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

let me crunch the numbers of who will win based on how many goals each team scored in qualifying and whatever the gently caress else they put in their formula.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'm starting to think Americans really have no loving idea how football works.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

A Tartan Tory posted:

We don't and we don't care. This is a big joke to us and it's just cool to be here doing things.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So USA doesn't have Jozy, and Portugal don't have CR7, Fabio Contrao, and Pepe? Sounds good

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

TheTrend posted:

We don't and we don't care. This is a big joke to us and it's just cool to be here doing things.

lol I love the beta mentality. It's win or go home you big pussy, this isn't your little sister's gymnastics competition where you get a medal for participating . "I'm just happy to be here doing things" says the little nerd bitch at prom while the cool kids are banging the night away. No offense, but I hope we f*ck you guys up.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lol I love the beta mentality. It's win or go home you big pussy, this isn't your little sister's gymnastics competition where you get a medal for participating . "I'm just happy to be here doing things" says the little nerd bitch at prom while the cool kids are banging the night away. No offense, but I hope we f*ck you guys up.

Uhhhhhh

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
he's 100% right. it's pretty embarrassing to read Americans post poo poo like "lol don't care if we win, but it's cool if we do."

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

relax

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'd like to see the United States win and advance but understand that they're not a top-tier national side at this time and as such have tempered my expectations

I'll be happy with a good performance win or lose!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'd like to see the United States win and advance but understand that they're not a top-tier national side at this time and as such have tempered my expectations

I'll be happy with a good performance win or lose!

this is a lie I'll be really loving upset if they lose

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

this is a lie I'll be really loving upset if they lose

Same. Also I'm cool with a terrible performance and a win.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I will be gutted if we lose, a touch disappointed but content if we draw and over the moon if we win.

Soulex posted:

So USA doesn't have Jozy, and Portugal don't have CR7, Fabio Contrao, and Pepe? Sounds good
Ronaldo is playing, you are crazy if you think otherwise.

dkj posted:

Same. Also I'm cool with a terrible performance and a win.
I would love a garbage goal in the 86th minute to win 1-0. Even better if we sub in an injured Jozy and he gets a dodgy penalty like he did against Chelsea.

Sperg
Jul 20, 2008

Theoretically, it is possible...
Yeah Ronaldo is def playing tomorrow

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The thread I have been waiting for. SA USMNT American Legion is back posting in your threads, winning your soccer games, sippin on your syrup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOscMuuiZI

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

portugal is going to lose and i will play you a sad song on a violin i strung with jozy's hamstring

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

LETS GO USMNT!

Tzen fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 22, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Wondo will get a hat trick. They will all be really lovely poke ins

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nice meltdown. I hope Ronaldo's knee melts down in an equally spectacular fashion.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I suspect there will be another red shown to a Portuguese player and a dodgy as gently caress pen.

Portugal still win 2-1

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

They will dive a lot because Portugal does not produce real men.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Whatcha gonna do, brother, when the Deuce runs wild all over you!?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

dkj posted:

They will dive a lot because Portugal does not produce real men.

PLEASE.

Vasco Da Gama, Luís de Camões, Ferdinand Magellan, Cristiano Ronaldo, Tom Hanks.

All Portuguese, all alpha as gently caress.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
can we please talk about korea/algeria for a moment

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

im ready

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

can we please talk about korea/algeria for a moment

why?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I really need for Portugal to step up and right the football ship because my credit card has a worn out magnetic strip making it impossible to rereg if the USMNT progress, not to mention the travesty of last night's Ghana not making through to the knock outs.

America, as a nation, is also really fail.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

SOMEBODY doesn't understand the entire concept of DZSiBoT

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
:siren: The Hereford FIFA Fan Zone is hiring. We are seeking qualified candidates for extra security patrols to deal with beta bitch USMNT fans saying poo poo like "start John Brooks as a center forward so he can hold up play" and other dumb rear end retard poo poo, and to deal with the chaos surrounding the inevitable USA loss.

Candidates are expected to have at least 3 years experience watching a league that isn't MLS and know that it's "offside" and not "offsides." Please apply directly in this thread.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Sweep the leg, Johnny.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Tetrix posted:

let me crunch the numbers of who will win based on how many goals each team scored in qualifying and whatever the gently caress else they put in their formula.

The 538 model is up something like 500% so far on the World Cup and I believe they ate it on Spain at the same time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jozy Altidore?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Jozy Altidore?

Altisnore is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps