Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Darkmoon and Watchdogs are the absolute worst covenants to upgrade because (last i knew of) the matchmaking for them was hosed to hell and back.

anyway, what's the ideal agility stat to have in DS2? I'm at 100, wondering if i should increase adaptability more or not

Watchdogs is awful above low level stuff. I didn't have too much trouble with blades/blues at 120 in NG+ after opening up the whole world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Darkmoon and Watchdogs are the absolute worst covenants to upgrade because (last i knew of) the matchmaking for them was hosed to hell and back.

anyway, what's the ideal agility stat to have in DS2? I'm at 100, wondering if i should increase adaptability more or not

100 is solid for general purposes. You get additional roll iframes at 105, 111, 114, and 116, however agility increases more slowly (specifically 7 times slower, so 1 adaptability is 3/28 a point of agility instead of 3/4) once it hits 110.

So if you want to push higher because your iframes aren't quite enough for your taste, 105's a reasonable goal, and 111 isn't too out of reach (it's only just past where the slowdown starts, you could get it at 30 att/40 adp for example), but 114 and 116 will be much much bigger investments.

I stop at 105, personally.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 18, 2017

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

spit on my clit posted:

i did watchdogs about a month ago and it took me three hours max. i was playing in the evening EST and i was level 30. darkmoon on the otherhand :emo:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i did watchdogs about a month ago and it took me three hours max. i was playing in the evening EST and i was level 30. darkmoon on the otherhand :emo:

ah, so play on a low level character if you're going for all rings/miracles. that woulda saved me five hours of killing the same ghrus over and over. Speaking of which WHY DO HEIDE KNIGHTS RESPAWN

DEAR_WIKI_KATH
Feb 18, 2017

by Smythe
Removed

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

:agreed:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you spent ten dollars to post that

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

spit on my clit posted:

you spent ten dollars to post that

Quite a few times by now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can we get Vaati to analyze the lore behind that post

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What was it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oldpainless posted:

What was it

Just a typical Dare post

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Darkmoon got better, I think. I played through the game recently and was able to get 21 out of 30 tokens, and that's despite failing a few invasions.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I lold when all I got was a loving Ring of Favor, useless on NG+ when you already have the +1 equivalent.

Yeah wow, the +1 and +2 RoF are way easier to get.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since this.

http://imgur.com/VH741uz

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone else not like the concept of +1 and +2 rings? It seems like an excuse to leave the originals under powered, force people to NG+, and is a cop out for more ring diversity. It'd also have been nice to have bonfire ascetics in this game.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone else not like the concept of +1 and +2 rings? It seems like an excuse to leave the originals under powered, force people to NG+, and is a cop out for more ring diversity. It'd also have been nice to have bonfire ascetics in this game.

The worst part is the + versions do very little in many cases.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am fine with different tier of rings if you can get them all in the first run.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

hanales posted:

By design though, they're marginal power increases for doing NG+. The whole point is that they're not "forcing" you to do NG+, they're just nice extras. It'll only bother you if you're both concerned about min/maxing but also don't care about min/maxing enough to want to do NG+.

Personally I'd take this over NG++ being mandatory for achievements, so I guess it just comes down to what bothers you more.

e: actually you need NG++ anyway, but I still prefer just rings over iconic spells and weapons being in NG+. I'd be happy with no power level increase in NG+, but the design of a small power increase for doing NG+ isn't outrageous.

hampig fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 19, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

hanales posted:

It's why the bonfire ascetics were cool. You could do a fun bit of risk/reward by like, Asceticing the huntsman's grounds for the Clearstone Ring +2.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Ask Lake is very definitely a physical place at the bottom of the world. You can see it from the Tomb of the Giants too.

Yeah Ash Lake isn't metaphysical. The game plays loose with the actual distance - you'd have to descend a lot further through the Great Hollow/Tomb of the Giants for the Ash Lake/pre-Nito skyboxes to fit - but they're really there. A few item descriptions, mostly the wooden shields with good magic defense, mention the "stone archtrees" that show up in the opening cutscene, where Gwyn &co. kill all the dragons. Lordran is literally built upon and carved out of the canopy of a giant forest of stone archtrees. It makes a few things fit neatly, too - like, Anor Londo sits up on that high cliff because it's on top of the tallest tree, and moreover that cliff is green, it's stone foliage. The impossible architecture everywhere, even for shitholes like the Undead Burg, makes more sense when people can just carve themselves a home. The big chasms like the Valley of Drakes are gaps in between the crowns of separate archtrees.

What's not clear to me is whether the entire world is covered in an archtree forest, or indeed what the shape of the world is in general. But maybe I'm thinking about it too hard.

There's an undercurrent of stone-based life that I don't really get. Archtrees, dragons have stone scales (except for Seath, what a bitch). There's an interview I can't be bothered to find where Miyazaki calls the Gaping Dragon a mineral-based creature.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

I think its because there is a demand for a simple plug and play gaming device.

Whenever I try to dig into the PS4 UI I feel like an old man lost in a grocery store aisle

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

hampig posted:

By design though, they're marginal power increases for doing NG+. The whole point is that they're not "forcing" you to do NG+, they're just nice extras. It'll only bother you if you're both concerned about min/maxing but also don't care about min/maxing enough to want to do NG+.

Personally I'd take this over NG++ being mandatory for achievements, so I guess it just comes down to what bothers you more.

They are better off not having + versions then and instead making the originals better.

E:

Perfect Potato posted:

Whenever I try to dig into the PS4 UI I feel like an old man lost in a grocery store aisle

Does that make PS4 Target and xbone walmart?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I liked the southern ritual band in DS2 - it gave an extra spell slot for each of the + versions, and made it feel like a very solid upgrade each time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It was interesting how the ds2 ones weighed more. But in practice you just cleared up the weight because the + rings were super good in it

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
first turtle knight i kill gives me the shell. ahaha this is gonna be a good run.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm playing a pyro for my second playthrough - how much do I want to balance my stats? I understand the pyromancy flame scales of INT & FTH, and ATT determines my slots, but how much should I be putting into those early on over increases to VIG and END?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

This is basically it. Sony more or less made the game happen. It's a shame FROM didn't/couldn't find someone else to publish, but that's how these things go.

Is there any simple text guides for the collect all <pyro/miracle/etc.> achievements? Don't want lengthy youtube videos, just a list or something that says "hey this one is easy to miss" and poo poo.
What I did was copy the list off fex, do a little bit of formatting and take items off as I got each one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

spit on my clit posted:

first turtle knight i kill gives me the shell. ahaha this is gonna be a good run.

Its a crime that they didn't include that armour in DS3.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Its a crime that they didn't include that armour in DS3.

its a crime they didn't include the pursuer's armor in DS3. seriously, he's got the coolest looking armor with the souls of the damned screaming out of it, and you're never given the opportunity to get that armor in either game

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spit on my clit posted:

its a crime they didn't include the pursuer's armor in DS3. seriously, he's got the coolest looking armor with the souls of the damned screaming out of it, and you're never given the opportunity to get that armor in either game

Yeah but that's cool because it implies nobody could kill the dude and steal his pants. He's probably the final boss of dlc2

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spit on my clit posted:

Yeah, I want that armor fuckin' bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

spit on my clit posted:

You can rather inexplicably get his shield though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Internet Kraken posted:

You can rather inexplicably get his shield though.

And his badass sword.

But still.

Also I was looking him up and somehow didn't realize he has a bedroll full of various weaponry on his back.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The armory on his back is the most distinctive feature for me.

If I go back to ds2 I'm going to have to figure out a good weapon to focus on going in because it seems like there's a thousand trap builds in that game for its hundred good builds

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I should probably play the DLCs for this, huh. Haven't played since launch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fuzz posted:

I should probably play the DLCs for this, huh. Haven't played since launch.

Well the only DLC out right now is pretty short. You should wait until March 28, as that is when the second DLC is dropping which is going to be longer.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If I go back to ds2 I'm going to have to figure out a good weapon to focus on going in because it seems like there's a thousand trap builds in that game for its hundred good builds

craftsman hammer is both good and fun

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

While DS3 is basically "quality or bust" as far as physical attacks go (in my opinion), DS2 is more favorable to letting you raise only one of str and dex, though raising both still has its benefits. Upgrade materials are reasonably plentiful, especially if you multiplayer (bellbros are showered in chunks unless they changed that, and small stone co-op is great for getting all sorts of useful miscellany from the crows).

And no matter what your build, it's a good idea to have some sort of ranged option with good distance on hand, be that a crossbow, a bow, a greatbow, or some sort of magic. Light Crossbow and Short Bow in particular are very easy to hit the stat requirements to use.

As far as melee weapons go, there are tons of options as in every souls game, so really just play around with things where you like the moveset. Popular weapons are, of course, popular for a reason, so you can't really go wrong with things like rapier or mace.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Powerstanced bonefists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

When in doubt, raw crossbows. They hit reasonably hard and can always be used to pull in a game where the monsters will never, ever forget about you.