Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MillennialVulcan posted:

The fans must have orchestrated some sort of super successful write-in campaign for him.

They did. They were all his friends and family and sent multiple letters at his request saying how much they loved his character in the episode, which Paramount got before the episode even aired. The letters were successful in getting him fired.

And let me tell you this guy... his name is fuckin Biff Yeager. What a great fuckin name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If only they'd managed to get him fired before he poo poo up an otherwise decent first season episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Come on he's barely in it. Geordie was still at helm and Jim Shimoda had just been killed, so they had to put in someone.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
:thejoke:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
He was barely in it but noticeably worse than practically any other extra with lines in the series. I mean not everyone can be Colm Meaney but poo poo.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Mickey Spillane opens the briefcase. Alas, it's cosmetic gear Picard already had. He trades it in for 50% of "dollar" value, then wires more latinum bonds to Quark's for enough "dollars" to get a premium five suitcase pack for the price of four.

THERE... ARE... FOUR... SUITCASES!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

THERE... ARE... FOUR... SUITCASES!

And for just ten slips of latinum, Captain, you can get a free energy refill!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You were forced to take "Self-Sealing Stembolt".

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

They did. They were all his friends and family and sent multiple letters at his request saying how much they loved his character in the episode, which Paramount got before the episode even aired. The letters were successful in getting him fired.

And let me tell you this guy... his name is fuckin Biff Yeager. What a great fuckin name!

And now you know the origin of the term 'Biffed it.'

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
watchin VOY: Nothing Human, AKA that episode that tells us B'Elanna is totally justified in being a virulent racist

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
also janeway literally thinks she's entitled to choose when her crew lives or dies based on her little scene at the end, lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Low Desert Punk posted:

also janeway literally thinks she's entitled to choose when her crew lives or dies based on her little scene at the end, lol

Captain's Prerogative

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

God the music in early TNG is so good but it's also distractingly dating. Some of it sounds straight out of TOS with the extremely overdone cues and such. It's so different from modern TV and it's fine it's just sort of jarring.

Except for the visual effects and obvious cast changes, the production on early TNG feels like TOS Season 4, like they just took an extra year off instead of 20.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Number_6 posted:

Except for the visual effects and obvious cast changes, the production on early TNG feels like TOS Season 4, like they just took an extra year off instead of 20.

Even some of the visual effects don't feel that far off, like the sixties vibe on the set of the plague ship from Haven.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

On my first watch, the Naked Now remake would have made the show look like it was going to be like the Twilight Zone remakes if I hadn't heard the stories about the first season being the worst one

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

galenanorth posted:

On my first watch, the Naked Now remake would have made the show look like it was going to be like the Twilight Zone remakes if I hadn't heard the stories about the first season being the worst one

Thankfully the next episode was Code of Honor so you were quickly dispelled of that notion.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Number_6 posted:

It really was, in a lot of was. Roddenberry basicaly got the band back together and rehired a lot of writers and production staff from TOS. But a lot of them quit after he and his lawyer alienated them.

It's interesting though, because perhaps it was the pushing off of the old guard that allowed the show to hit the highs it started to achieve in S3. Had they stayed on, TNG may have been a mediocre, dated series thst lasted 4 or 5 seasons and never spawned 3 more series and movies.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While the music is certainly gorgeous, the one thing I truly wish they stuck with was the lighting from the first two seasons. The overly bright tone from seasons 3-7 really made things feel cheap.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What if TNG were shot with Star Trek: Generations lighting. :swoon:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think part of why I liked Masks so much is that they do something even slightly adventurous with the lighting. Of course the ship has to be getting magically morphed into an alien library/temple for them to try it, but...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Masks reminds me of Jumanji when the house slowly morphs into a jungle.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Masks is legit one of my favorite TNG episodes simply because of how loving weird it is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah I really enjoyed the idea, even if I have a quibble with the execution, and don’t understand why people don’t get it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Drone posted:

What if TNG was shot with Discovery lighting. :whitewater:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I watched Arrival recently, now that's some lighting and atmosphere.

Plus it's sad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Peachfart posted:

What if TNG was shot with Discovery lighting. :whitewater:

what if the orville was shot with discovery lighting

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
what if discovery was shot with a phaser pistol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

what if discovery was shot with a phaser pistol

Phase Pistol

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Phase Piss

FTFY

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is that why the Cardassian transporter is gold coloured? Their entire species is into pissplay?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is that why the Cardassian transporter is gold coloured? Their entire species is into pissplay?
Lizards don't pee, they gotta get their fetishes in somehow

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Garak smiles smugly as he pisses himself in the replimat, initiating an emergency transport to slightly further down the promenade

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

They're probably like snakes and pass this weird lil popcorn looking thing every few weeks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

While the music is certainly gorgeous, the one thing I truly wish they stuck with was the lighting from the first two seasons. The overly bright tone from seasons 3-7 really made things feel cheap.

I think the bridge lighting absolutely needed to change, but the conference room suffered greatly for it; it works so much better when they can play with shadows in there.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Drone posted:

You get "Yesterday's Enterprise."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Do Romulans go through pon farr?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pick posted:

nope, the romulans gently caress 24/7, it says so in my Rihannsu fanfic located at https://www.fanfiction.net this mimeographed fanzine i published in the 80s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

They're probably like snakes and pass this weird lil popcorn looking thing every few weeks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

I think Romulans deal with powerful emotions by directing them like terrifying lasers at others instead of bottling them up Vulcan-style, so instead of one animal lust-gently caress every seven years they have an increasingly co-abusive sexual relationship with someone compatible, and just wear more upholstery to cover the ugly green bruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drone posted:

nope, the romulans gently caress 24/7, it says so in my Rihannsu fanfic located at https://www.fanfiction.net this mimeographed fanzine i published in the 80s

Diane Duane account spotted.