Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

Chris Rock never "punched down" and he's the one who put Seinfeld onto this idea that college students think jokes are serious political statements.

I think Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Colin Quinn, Kevin James, David Spade, and maybe a few lesser knowns like Nick DiPaolo all just sort of gravitated toward each other while playing golf at swank SoCal country clubs and formed a "Bitter And Old Conservative Comedians Society" where they have officially decreed that young people suck and don't appreciate comedy anymore because liberals have ruined everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Normally I'm sympathetic to people with mental illnesses (I have a major one myself, incidentally) but in Beck's case I just flat out can't have any sympathy for him. I've been listening to him for a very long time and there was a point where he knew he was losing it and just kind of rolled with it. He sounds like he'd be an OK guy to have as a friend or a drinking buddy but politically speaking he's an absolute poo poo. It gets even worse when you realize that he ultimately used his money to absolutely and completely insulate himself from reality deliberately.

Well I think you'd have trouble having a drink with him at this point, having converted to Mormonism and all

When I say not a bad person compared to his peers, I'm talking about things like when he tried to organize relief for the refugee children along the southern border when everyone in the conservative sphere was ready to drive them into the ocean. Moments like that lead me to believe he's trying to do the right thing, but his mind is clearly deteriorating. Half his show these days is about how SOMETHING is about to happen but he's not sure what. Dude is losing it

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Of course she doesn't. She's a professional troll.

Yeah, it seems like she goes quiet for a while, then suddenly makes news by saying something at least 2 steps more awful than any of the main right-wingers.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Coulter is a reactionary reactionary.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
I've always found Michael savage endlessly entertaining. He's a decent story teller as well. He's a liberal hipster that got mad at all his other liberal hipster friends and took his ball and went home.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Knight posted:

Uhh, Chris Rock had to retire an entire bit about black people he hates. It's well-done but he was clearly "punching down" at what he considered a lower class of black people.

If I make jokes about white trash, despite being white, I'm still "punching down."

Complaining about "PC culture" is a sure fire way of getting attention, so it is no wonder that a bunch of people who are losing space will resort to "it is totally the PC authoritarians, believe me!" It has nothing to do with punching down. Seinfeld doesn't get college gigs because his comedy is stale and old, not because anyone objected to him punching down.

And all anyone has to do to see that that is indeed the case is the fact that Daniel Tosh is just about the most popular comedian on college campuses all around the country.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

And all anyone has to do to see that that is indeed the case is the fact that Daniel Tosh is just about the most popular comedian on college campuses all around the country.

No liberals are the real hitler, also social justice skeletons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RACHET posted:

I've always found Michael savage endlessly entertaining. He's a decent story teller as well. He's a liberal hipster that got mad at all his other liberal hipster friends and took his ball and went home.
The sad thing is that he spends like half his show to inflating his own ego. It's like the guy knows he's more or less an irrelevant old gently caress that hasn't really accomplished anything in his life unless you count "has a son who runs a successful energy drink company."

It's especially awesome when he talks up his own unused PhD in some quackery and then belittles actual physicians.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Klaus88 posted:

:psyboom:

She doesn't mean all this manic poo poo seriously? Right? Right?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Of course she doesn't. She's a professional troll.

Yeah that Boondocks version of Coulter is probably closer to reality than the version she portrays in her books. She's just really good at pissing off liberals and getting headlines.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Boondocks version makes her an even shittier person. If she knows what she's saying is hateful and wrong and gets people to believe awful things, but does it anyway to make money that's worse than if she was actually sincere.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

The Boondocks version makes her an even shittier person. If she knows what she's saying is hateful and wrong and gets people to believe awful things, but does it anyway to make money that's worse than if she was actually sincere.

Of course she's just saying it to piss people off and make money, noone that insane could pull it together enough for interviews and write books without sounding like Alex Jones.

And we can all thank Bill Maher for keeping her relevant back in the day.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Of course she's just saying it to piss people off and make money, noone that insane could pull it together enough for interviews and write books without sounding like Alex Jones.

Yeah I know she's really a total troll that tries to be intentionally offensive but the vibe I got from Boondocks was that their version of her wasn't as bad since she was in on the scam. It's been a while since I saw that episode so I may be remembering it incorrectly.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

Yeah I know she's a total troll but the vibe I got from Boondocks was that she wasn't as bad since she was in on the scam. It's been a while since I saw that episode so I may be remembering it incorrectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seThIG34R8

I'm not saying McGruder was correct in his version, but it was a funny rewriting of the persona she has in the media.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
In other news, Drudge is running this headline again. I swear he's been doing this every few months since 2008.

Record Number of Americans Renounced Their U.S. Citizenship in 2015

quote:

Between January and March of 2015, a record 1,336 Americans renounced their U.S. citizenship, according to a quarterly report by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that was published in The Federal Register.

The list includes long-term permanent residents who are considered American citizens under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA), the IRS noted. The previous record was 1,130 in the second quarter of 2013, according to Treasury Department data.

A record total of 3,415 Americans renounced their citizenship last year, according to the “Quarterly Publication of Individuals Who Have Chosen To Expatriate.”

They only needed one more... :techno:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

In other news, Drudge is running this headline again. I swear he's been doing this every few months since 2008.

"Love it or leave it!.....oh, you are leaving..."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seThIG34R8

I'm not saying McGruder was correct in his version, but it was a funny rewriting of the persona she has in the media.

Yeah I'm way overthinking the joke, but Boondocks is pretty political and it's hard to turn myself off and just enjoy it sometimes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sir Tonk posted:

Normally, I get frustrated reading the comments in stories like these, but this is just astounding and funny to me. No one can really decide WHY people are leaving in the comments. They just say it's Obama's fault and then work backwards from there. It's amazing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Complaining about "PC culture" is a sure fire way of getting attention, so it is no wonder that a bunch of people who are losing space will resort to "it is totally the PC authoritarians, believe me!" It has nothing to do with punching down. Seinfeld doesn't get college gigs because his comedy is stale and old, not because anyone objected to him punching down.

Yeah, like on the interview Seinfeld gives his example joke of young people swiping through their phones like "a gay French king", and says people don't laugh because it's offensive. When in reality people don't laugh because it isn't funny. It's not even a joke. It's supposed to be funny because he said "gay", I guess?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's not that Seinfeld has lost touch with modern audiences, it's that his stand up was never funny ever.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, like on the interview Seinfeld gives his example joke of young people swiping through their phones like "a gay French king", and says people don't laugh because it's offensive. When in reality people don't laugh because it isn't funny. It's not even a joke. It's supposed to be funny because he said "gay", I guess?

I mean, you and him are both kind of right. It's offensively unfunny.

Like, that's a joke so unfunny that I kind of want to backhand him for making it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

It's not that Seinfeld has lost touch with modern audiences, it's that his stand up was never funny ever.

It's observational!!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
How do you swipe through your phone like a gay French king? Never heard of a French king who had a phone or liked to make swiping motions? That doesn't even work as an analogy. I guess he's saying kids are decadent like Louis XIV? And gay because gently caress gays? :confused:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xibanya posted:

How do you swipe through your phone like a gay French king? Never heard of a French king who had a phone or liked to make swiping motions? That doesn't even work as an analogy. I guess he's saying kids are decadent like Louis XIV? And gay because gently caress gays? :confused:

Limp-wristed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xibanya posted:

Gay people are stereotyped as exaggeratedly effeminate with limp wrists, which I guess could result in hand-waving like you might do if you're scrolling really fast on a touchscreen.

It IS offensive but people don't laugh because it's just not a funny observation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

A record total of 3,415 Americans renounced their citizenship last year, according to the “Quarterly Publication of Individuals Who Have Chosen To Expatriate.”

Interestingly, there's some debate over what qualifies someone for that list.

But even so, as of June 9th, 2015, the population of the USA was reported as 321,043,000. So barely more than 1/1000th of a percent are voluntarily expatriating according to that report.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
That gay french king joke would have had Archie Bunker in stitches

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xibanya posted:

Maybe he means like Rush Limbaugh in reference to his hideously garish rococo Frenchaboo condo?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I don't think anyone popular in talk radio is legitimately crazy. I think they do it because it sells.

But it's a market that became saturated in the late 2000s. So you have up-and-commers like Alex Jones amping up the lunatic act and so middle-acts like Beck have to up their batshit game to keep pace.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Guys, did you know that the cops going nuts on that pool party in Texas was all a ploy to distract from the most important issue the US faces?

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2015-06-10.html

Maybe I'm out of the right-wing media loop but I feel like it's pretty rare to see pure old-fashioned xenophobia out in the open like this. Usually they try to make it about illegal immigration to cover up their racist intentions, but this is vintage prewar "we must expel the foreign hordes" rhetoric stripped of all dog whistles or attempts at nuance.

I know it's Ann Coulter and she just sells whatever the hard right is willing to buy but it's pretty disturbing that there's apparently a market for this poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
edit: n/m

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Why not just say a French King?

Like, a french king is already stereotypically flamboyant enough to get the point across.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

beatlegs posted:

I think Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Colin Quinn, Kevin James, David Spade, and maybe a few lesser knowns like Nick DiPaolo all just sort of gravitated toward each other while playing golf at swank SoCal country clubs and formed a "Bitter And Old Conservative Comedians Society" where they have officially decreed that young people suck and don't appreciate comedy anymore because liberals have ruined everything.

Yeah, Chris Rock, the guy who wrote an amazing bit about the constant poo poo black people have to deal with everyday just last year, has suddenly become a bitter and old conservative. You've done it! You cracked the code! My god..

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chuck Johnson tried to get back on twitter and was banned

8 Suspensions

He also took a picture of him in front of the Twitter HQ

The best part about all of this is that the only thing that kept him alive was twitter and now he can never get it back and anytime he tries to do it, he gets suspended even quicker.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/44716_Ouch!_Chuck_Johnsons_Latest_Attempt_to_Sneak_Back_Onto_Twitter_Is_Denied

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I honest to god thought the headline was going to be "Floor Shitter Is Denied"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Chuck Johnson tried to get back on twitter and was banned

8 Suspensions

He also took a picture of him in front of the Twitter HQ

The best part about all of this is that the only thing that kept him alive was twitter and now he can never get it back and anytime he tries to do it, he gets suspended even quicker.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/44716_Ouch!_Chuck_Johnsons_Latest_Attempt_to_Sneak_Back_Onto_Twitter_Is_Denied

Also his gig line is all hosed up.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Madmarker posted:

Also his face is all hosed up.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

He looks like a wad of cookie dough kicked across a Scottish barbershop floor.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

Fan of airline food spotted.

edit

Mods please change my handle to Jade Helm Captain, tia.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 11, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RoanHorse posted:

That was basically just 'don't punch down.' What's wrong with that?

Nothing from what I can tell.

The weird thing to me is that Jerry Seinfeld was never edgy or offensive by an measure and went out of his way not work blue. I've seen him a couple of times and I'm not sure what's in his act that he thinks he can't use or might be too much for college audiences.

I love edgy and offensive comedy, so long as it's funny. I love Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy and even think Dice is OK because, to me, he's lampooning a character/stereotype. A lot of this material hasn't aged too well, particularly the human being and AIDS jokes, and admittedly it's almost shocking to listen to. I love Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Lewis Black, Richard Pryor, Howard Stern, Chris Rock, Lisa Lampinelli, Bill Hicks, Sarah Silverman etc. even though they often cross a line.

But what the gently caress is Seinfeld of all people on about regarding a PC crowd? I can't remember a single offensive or edgy bit he ever did. Someone said his show was "edgy for the time". No it wasn't. They did an episode on jacking off but that's about it. The Simpsons, Married With Children and even South Park were considered far more provacative and racy and the first two predate Seinfeld. All in the Family and NYPD Blue caught more poo poo than Seinfeld ever did. I can't think of a cleaner and less blue comedian than Jerry loving Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Nothing from what I can tell.

The weird thing to me is that Jerry Seinfeld was never edgy or offensive by an measure and went out of his way not work blue. I've seen him a couple of times and I'm not sure what's in his act that he thinks he can't use or might be too much for college audiences.

I love edgy and offensive comedy, so long as it's funny. I love Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy and even think Dice is OK because, to me, he's lampooning a character/stereotype. A lot of this material hasn't aged too well, particularly the human being and AIDS jokes, and admittedly it's almost shocking to listen to. I love Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Lewis Black, Richard Pryor, Howard Stern, Chris Rock, Lisa Lampinelli, Bill Hicks, Sarah Silverman etc. even though they often cross a line.

But what the gently caress is Seinfeld of all people on about regarding a PC crowd? I can't remember a single offensive or edgy bit he ever did. Someone said his show was "edgy for the time". No it wasn't. They did an episode on jacking off but that's about it. The Simpsons, Married With Children and even South Park were considered far more provacative and racy and the first two predate Seinfeld. All in the Family and NYPD Blue caught more poo poo than Seinfeld ever did. I can't think of a cleaner and less blue comedian than Jerry loving Seinfeld.

Brian Regan.

Although to be fair, you did say "comedian."