Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand if you don't plan right, or your buddy shows up and you get super hosed up and have to lift hungover on four hours of poor sleep. That is the worst, the pure existential dread when your body cannot move the weight that you know it can is palpable and disgusting. I did that once and after failing my bench four times and generally being weaker than the average DYEL I was seriously considering driving into oncoming traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
One of the highlights of the holiday season is the return to store shelves of the best candy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

One of the highlights of the holiday season is the return to store shelves of the best candy

Love these dudes

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Your mistake was not making sure you were free before being hung over. I work and work out a lot, so when the chance is there, to just get drunk and do nothing the next day. It is like a gift from the gods.

*and genuine gz on doing that, happy for you

In that case it was a matter of being cocky. My neighbors were having a party and I knew the research so well I thought I might as well pre-celebrate and went a little too far. It worked out though so :shrug:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Gripweed posted:

yo guys, that little chode Candy Corn's cool cousin is back in town!

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

Extremely cursed.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: you can’t be an atheist and believe in ghosts/the supernatural. Pick one.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm not sure that's unpopular outside of the Mainland where "atheist" is more of a misnomer anyway.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

I'm not sure that's unpopular outside of the Mainland where "atheist" is more of a misnomer anyway.

I was just told by a (white) New Zealander that they can be an atheist and believe in maniwha

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I don't know what that is but it sounds like some noble savage poo poo by way of authenticity culture.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
How about you define atheist, and define deist, and define god too while you are at it.

*and define how belief in God is different vs gods

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

thetoughestbean posted:

I was just told by a (white) New Zealander that they can be an atheist and believe in maniwha

Is that a misspelling of taniwha? That’s a new term for me, at least. I’d love to learn a new thing though!

I think you can be an atheist in the sense of not believing in an Abrahamic or singular god (frankly that god seems like a jerk to me), and still believe in the persistence of spirit, like say, ghosts or taniwha or unseen forces. I guess technically that’s agnosticism rather than atheism, but I’m not about to rules lawyer anyone on their spiritual beliefs. I’m vehemently non religious but sometimes I feel the presence of people I’ve known who have died. Academically I know that’s just me thinking of them with my brain and remembering, but I choose to believe there’s a remnant of them hanging around because it comforts me and makes me feel looked after.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Every time I eat rear end I worship a god.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shithouse Dave posted:

Is that a misspelling of taniwha? That’s a new term for me, at least. I’d love to learn a new thing though!

I think you can be an atheist in the sense of not believing in an Abrahamic or singular god (frankly that god seems like a jerk to me), and still believe in the persistence of spirit, like say, ghosts or taniwha or unseen forces. I guess technically that’s agnosticism rather than atheism, but I’m not about to rules lawyer anyone on their spiritual beliefs. I’m vehemently non religious but sometimes I feel the presence of people I’ve known who have died. Academically I know that’s just me thinking of them with my brain and remembering, but I choose to believe there’s a remnant of them hanging around because it comforts me and makes me feel looked after.

Yeah I totally botched the spelling, I had to look it up after I heard what it was.

And I wouldn’t call a practitioner of Shintoism an atheist, nor would I call a Buddhist an atheist, despite both religions not necessarily having a central deity (yes I know I’m massively oversimplifying things here). You don’t need to just not believe in a central all powerful deity to be an atheist, it’s the rest of the metaphysicsl you need to not believe in too.

I don’t think it’s wrong to believe in those things. If that’s what you believe, and you aren’t using those things to harm other people, great! But I’d rather people who believe in those things call themselves “non-religious but spiritual”, or agnostic if they’re taking a position more of uncertainty.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
one interesting re-framing of what many people call atheism is 'non-theist'; not making a claim of the existence of a god. Buddhism is generally non-theist, for instance, even though it generally makes some supernatural claims. I think in a comparative-religion context it's much more useful than 'atheist'. however, I would call some all-encompassing-ideologies or religions (phuo: same thing) atheist; Marxist-Leninism is an example.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah I totally botched the spelling, I had to look it up after I heard what it was.

And I wouldn’t call a practitioner of Shintoism an atheist, nor would I call a Buddhist an atheist, despite both religions not necessarily having a central deity (yes I know I’m massively oversimplifying things here). You don’t need to just not believe in a central all powerful deity to be an atheist, it’s the rest of the metaphysicsl you need to not believe in too.

I don’t think it’s wrong to believe in those things. If that’s what you believe, and you aren’t using those things to harm other people, great! But I’d rather people who believe in those things call themselves “non-religious but spiritual”, or agnostic if they’re taking a position more of uncertainty.

I guess it boils down to a semantic thing. I’ve always understood theism to refer to gods - singular or multiple. But ghosts, taniwha, dragons, Sasquatch and other mythical and/or metaphysical creatures aren’t gods. So to my mind belief in taniwha is compatible with atheism. Belief in Rangi and Papa, Tane and Tangaroa might be closer to theism, or it might be just a cherishing of the myths you grew up with, the stories of your whakapapa. That’s more of a grey area.
My understanding of anti/theism might not be technically correct though, and I’m too blazed to be arsed looking it up right now.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shithouse Dave posted:

I guess it boils down to a semantic thing. I’ve always understood theism to refer to gods - singular or multiple. But ghosts, taniwha, dragons, Sasquatch and other mythical and/or metaphysical creatures aren’t gods.

What separates them from gods? It's the same idea at play.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Atticus_1354 posted:

What separates them from gods? It's the same idea at play.

Power.

To put it another way, different attached things. Ghosts could just be different energy wavelengths. They aren't because they don't exist but you don't need a belief in any particular schema of the universe to believe in them.

If you believe in, say, the Abrahamic God then you have to believe in a load of different things as well, though what exactly can depend. That means you have a whole raft of other things you believe to be true as well. Ghosts can just be weird extras.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Oct 1, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You can also believe in gods, not in any defined sense. Though you should first go to first principles, and address nihilism. After you did that and know you are free, pick a god, or a few.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I liked Malky Dungeon. I rarely was able to tell what they were saying or what was happening in the art, but I liked it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

If they're pumpkins, why do they have nipples? If they're breasts, why do they have grooves down the sides? Very odd, either way.

Shithouse Dave posted:

I think you can be an atheist in the sense of not believing in an Abrahamic or singular god (frankly that god seems like a jerk to me), and still believe in the persistence of spirit, like say, ghosts or taniwha or unseen forces. I guess technically that’s agnosticism rather than atheism, but I’m not about to rules lawyer anyone on their spiritual beliefs.
Agnosticism is either:
1. (as commonly used) Believing a god or gods (specific or unknown) exist but knowing you have no reasonable justification for doing so; or
2. (technically correct) Believing that it is impossible to know whether gods exist or not. In this latter case, you may also be the other kind of agnostic, or you may be a believer in a particular religion or an atheist.

If you definitely do not believe in any god, but you do believe in ghosts, you're still an atheist (and possibly a type-2 agnostic, but that's not relevant to your belief in ghosts).

Ohtori Akio posted:

one interesting re-framing of what many people call atheism is 'non-theist'; not making a claim of the existence of a god. Buddhism is generally non-theist, for instance, even though it generally makes some supernatural claims. I think in a comparative-religion context it's much more useful than 'atheist'. however, I would call some all-encompassing-ideologies or religions (phuo: same thing) atheist; Marxist-Leninism is an example.
The "a" prefix already means "non" though. A theist claims and believes that one or more gods exist; an atheist doesn't. In the same way that an "atypical" thing is one that is not typical. Your "non-theist" term means exactly the same thing as the term that already exists.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Like on a 1-10 scale? Seems like a really strong dragon could beat up a weak enough God. Some of those minor deities are kind of pathetic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

thetoughestbean posted:

That doesn't make any sense. You absolutely can.

thetoughestbean posted:

You don’t need to just not believe in a central all powerful deity to be an atheist, it’s the rest of the metaphysicsl you need to not believe in too.

Don't gatekeep atheism.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
IDK, I tend to agree with other posters in the thread that it would be kind of weird to be an atheist but still believe in the supernatural. Not impossible or necessarily paradoxical though.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ohtori Akio posted:

however, I would call some all-encompassing-ideologies or religions (phuo: same thing) atheist; Marxist-Leninism is an example.

Yeah, there are some distinctions between the two, but I don't think that the difference is that huge.

A little while ago, a topic of discussion in the US Politics Debate and Discussion thread was about how conservative Christian evangelicals had such an irrational unshakable faith in their political beliefs. But really the way conservative evangelical Christians talk about politics isn't greatly different from any other group of people who holds very strong political/ideological beliefs, IMO.

The unsurprising Goon thread consensus was: our ideological nemeses/doppelgangers are wackos.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

When it comes to politics you should work out what your actual beliefs are, and then support the political parties that most closely align with them. Depending on voting and parliamentary system strategic voting can come into it too.

Of course that requires that you are capable of independent thought.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I believe in sexy ghosts and ghost blowjobs

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I actually wish ghosts and spirits and monsters and stuff were real so I could bust them.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I personally do not believe in ghosts but do believe in spirits, like sauna gnomes that like it when you drink beer in the sauna and give you blessings.

After taking in hard löyly I feel blessed, and praise the gnomes by drinking some more beer.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Oct 1, 2022

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
It depends on how you set the boundaries of your atheism. For example, I'm a pretty strong atheist (Marxist) but I am also extremely confident that the Emperor of Japan is real.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Tiggum posted:

The "a" prefix already means "non" though. A theist claims and believes that one or more gods exist; an atheist doesn't. In the same way that an "atypical" thing is one that is not typical. Your "non-theist" term means exactly the same thing as the term that already exists.

It's true that atheism and nontheism share similar constructions. Nevertheless, both terms exist well before me with very distinct definitions.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

2nd Amendment posted:

It depends on how you set the boundaries of your atheism. For example, I'm a pretty strong atheist (Marxist) but I am also extremely confident that the Emperor of Japan is real.

Anime is NOT real.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
天皇陛下万歳

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just worship the Sun like a rational person.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its silly to believe in ghosts

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think ghosts exist in the sense that people see phantom images of people or animals they were used to seeing or that they were primed enough to see

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Atticus_1354 posted:

Like on a 1-10 scale? Seems like a really strong dragon could beat up a weak enough God. Some of those minor deities are kind of pathetic.

On the one hand Jesus did get killed pretty easy but he also gave a dragon its walking papers so it’s tough to say.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

God with a capital letter? Dragon has no chance, his very existence was part of Gods plan.

A god? Ancalagon could beat a maia. It took Earendil with his magic ship, using a Silmaril as a weapon, to defeat the dragons.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i think ghosts exist in the sense that people see phantom images of people or animals they were used to seeing or that they were primed enough to see

yeah but thats not really a ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Unpopular opinion: I am an idiot and if I can think of an easy way to improve the world then a divine being who contains all things should be able to think their way to it. If they cannot they should either a) explain it or b) do not deserve worship.

The universe may be created by a divinity. If it is, it has questions to answer. If it isn't then there isn't anything to worry about and we all just return to nowt at the end of all this.