Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I bought my Xbox one S there because they had mad dealzzz on them

when I inquired about being to try the HoloLens they said syrup have to go on a 40-minute store tour where they show off all of their Solutions and then at the end they let you play with one for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

I bought my Xbox one S

lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a fool and his time/money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

heard that they're doing or did a halo vr promotion

apparently they put the headset on you and you watch a kickass prerendered cutscene in 3d and then they shuffle you into another room where you can play halo on a big ol normal tv

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol

quote:

In a leaked chart, return rates for Surface Book hit around 17 percent during its launch period, and remained above 10 percent for six months. Surface Pro 4 return rates also reached around 16 percent during launch, but dropped below 10 percent after just over a month. Conversely, Surface Pro 3 launched with 11 percent return rates that quickly dropped below 10 percent and have remained at roughly 5 or 6 percent throughout its lifetime. The Surface Book has suffered from consistently higher return rates than any other Surface product throughout the nearly two years it has been on sale.

While Microsoft struggled with the power management of Intel's new Skylake chipsets at the time, other OEMs also suffered some minors problems but were able to quickly remedy them with firmware fixes. Thurrott reports that Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella met with Lenovo last year and quizzed the company over how it was responding to Skylake problems. “Lenovo was confused,” claims Thurrott. “No one was having any issues.” It appears Microsoft’s own problems were the result of the company’s unique approach to the Surface Book, with custom firmware and drivers. While other, more experienced, hardware makers were able to respond quickly, Microsoft’s delay impacted reliability.

verge article

the original paul-chan source has some tidbits as well

quote:

But the net result was that Microsoft had to push out some existing designs quickly to get ahead of the reliability issues. The result was Surface Laptop, an uninspiring product whose origin is years old (Julie Larson-Green was still working at that part of Microsoft at the time), and the new Surface Pro, which is obviously just a minor update. More forward-leaning products like a new Surface Hub, code-named Aruba, and a mobile device code-named Andromeda, were pushed back, in the former’s case to 2019.
(This may explain why the firm has ignored USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, by the way.)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

surface laptop: obsolete on arrival

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

microsoft: obsolete on arrival

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just laughing at the fact that lenovo can write better drivers than microsoft

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

microsoft is very bad and writes bad software

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

your avatar is excellent btw

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

it really is

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

microsoft is very bad and writes bad software

VSCode is pretty good

it's also free, what's going on?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

FMguru posted:

it really is

had to give richard a few $$$ to help him eat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yah forums revenue is down like 92% due to summer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

also chuckling at this good-rear end avatar

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
that generation surface is still not qualed for work because of the sleep issue. even when they fixed it generally if they ever did it doesn't work with bit9 lol.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

jesus loving christ I just had to reinstall 10 because this operation system poo poo all over itself and now it's spamming me with hardware disconnect/reconnect audio every five seconds. anything happening in device manager from a flakey device? no. anything in the system log about devices disconnecting/reconnecting? no. what's causing it? IT MAKES THAT loving SOUND EVERY TIME IT UPDATES A BUNDLED APP IN THE BACKGROUND? It claims this is being done through the WindowsUpdateClient in the event source. Does the windows update UI tell me it is doing anything? No. Does the windows shitstore app where this stuff should be showing it updates have anything listed there? NO. ITS JUST MAKING loving NOISES FOR BACKGROUND TASKS BECAUSE ITS A PILE OF HORSE poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

how in the gently caress did it assign a sound to that kind of event?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i turned off all system sounds so i have no idea what sounds windows likes to make these days

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

click click click click click click thunk

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
yeah turn off system sounds you fuckig idiot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

dont sign your posts

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximum Leader posted:

lmao windows has literally broken your brain

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader posted:

It is now safe to turn off system sounds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

jesus loving christ I just had to reinstall 10 because this operation system poo poo all over itself and now it's spamming me with hardware disconnect/reconnect audio every five seconds. anything happening in device manager from a flakey device? no. anything in the system log about devices disconnecting/reconnecting? no. what's causing it? IT MAKES THAT loving SOUND EVERY TIME IT UPDATES A BUNDLED APP IN THE BACKGROUND? It claims this is being done through the WindowsUpdateClient in the event source. Does the windows update UI tell me it is doing anything? No. Does the windows shitstore app where this stuff should be showing it updates have anything listed there? NO. ITS JUST MAKING loving NOISES FOR BACKGROUND TASKS BECAUSE ITS A PILE OF HORSE poo poo.

ive never heard it do that for my apps.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

ive never heard it do that for my apps.

this, tho my xps seems to be fighting a phantom usb device as of late

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

VSCode is pretty good

it's also free, what's going on?

it's also loving dogshit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

it's also loving dogshit

it's legit good if you don't have to use it on an embedded system

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

it's also loving dogshit

it's incredibly good and i've been super impressed with the features added each and every update

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

which is amazing because visual studio proper is a pile of poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

which is amazing because visual studio proper is a pile of poo

visual studio is pretty good too imo, but in my use case it competes with rstudio

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

it's incredibly good and i've been super impressed with the features added each and every update

Agreed, it's really good, but with their big updates it's often a good idea to wait a bit for them to fix the slew of significant bugs they introduce.

They really need to steal the merge resolution UI from the normal visual studio though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

visual studio is pretty good too imo, but in my use case it competes with rstudio

turds competing with poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

turds competing with poo poo

yeah rstudio is bafflingly bad if you ever have as much as heard of an ide

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah rstudio is bafflingly bad if you ever have as much as heard of an ide

i like to believe it's made to emulate a very early version of matlab, from a description of someone who used matlab briefly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

i like to believe it's made to emulate a very early version of matlab, from a description of someone who used matlab briefly

i wouldn't be surprised it's competing with matlab 92 in hadley's mind or something. either way, new job gave me visual studio seat no questions asked, so im fairly happy. have to give microsoft rtvs team mad props for doing too much drugs or whatever is that they do to have insane response rates and levels on github issues

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just fire everyone but the vs team and raymond chen satya

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laffo hp skating to where they already melted the ice from last week's game and put in basketball floor

quote:

While Windows roadmaps purportedly leaked to a blog last week appear to have a big hole in them where mobile should be, HP Inc tells us it has been assured by Redmond there are no plans to drop Continuum. HP is the sole major mobile vendor committed to the Windows Mobile Edition of Windows 10 and bet big on Continuum, the multimode "use-your-phone-as-a-PC" feature on which some of HP's ambitions rest. El Reg was impressed by HP's plans to build an ecosystem around the multi-mode capabilities of the HP Elite x3 phone, which doubles up as a PC replacement. (Or tries to.) Launching in over 50 markets, the ecosystem includes a streaming apps service HP Workplace to fill in the app gap, and even a "lap dock." HP pitched it at field workers and verticals. The only thing letting Inc-ers down was the quality of the software from Microsoft. Spring came and went without the expected improvements to Continuum. Unauthorised briefings last week suggest the Windows Mobile branch of Windows 10 is now an orphan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

carry on then posted:

microsofthp: skating to where the puck was manufactured

• Locked thread