Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grognan posted:

Same with the house of reps since the eighteenth century

Yeah no poo poo. The senate is fixed by the number of states, the house by the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 which was intended to do what it's doing, prevent electoral power from continuing to shift more toward cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The EC will change when the winner needs it to.

The winner will never need the EC to change.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

The EC will change when the winner needs it to.

The winner will never need the EC to change.

But but why do Nebraskans get to decide anything?????

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Never Forget

https://medium.com/rx3-magazine/its-not-okay-to-hate-hillary-clinton-26774ef5d672#.vl2ntfyxc

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

snakeandbake posted:

Am I out of touch?? No, it's the voters who are wrong.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lol if you never thought this was a civil war

i'm glad i started organizing days after the election because these fuckers are going to fight tooth and nail

if you want to join the fight against the neoliberals and crush this fascist after we purge this party report for duty: http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zikan posted:

lol if you never thought this was a civil war

i'm glad i started organizing days after the election because these fuckers are going to fight tooth and nail

if you want to join the fight against the neoliberals and crush this fascist after we purge this party report for duty: http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

It's a civil war inside of a civil war inside of a civil war. what remains of the old establishment is squabbling with itself in the ruins of the HRC campaign.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

I think the dems hosed themselves into this situation by ignoring every dissenting voice

This tells me that things won't change, because so far there hasn't been any analysis of why everyone was so (trying to be diplomatic here) overconfident and dismissive. In fact, a lot of people are still trying to say that it was everyone else's fault but theirs.

There are a lot of plans itt about what to do next, but if you don't have a solution to the blinding groupthink or any idea of how to do a better job of taking in and responding to new information - especially information that comes from outside the rather comfortable bubble where party stalwarts live - then the same thing will keep happening.

As others have pointed out, the campaign team simply assumed that all of Obama's voters would show up for Hillary because... gently caress, I don't know. I don't think it even occurred to anyone to question it. This run failed on just about every metric - policy, branding, PR, data, community outreach, GOTV, you name it - and everyone was going on and on about what a slam dunk it was going to be until the states were being called.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I unironically think the Dipshit Hillary campaign thought Obama was elected purely on the novelty of electing a black man for the first time, and they thought they could do the same thing with a woman

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Venom Snake posted:

It's a civil war inside of a civil war inside of a civil war. what remains of the old establishment is squabbling with itself in the ruins of the HRC campaign.

I read this in David Hayter's voice and it sounded like actual MGS dialogue.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gringostar posted:

full stop

until intel, google, apple, and all the silicone valley companies unionize their workforce democrats should be eating poo poo sandwiches when it comes to congress and the EC since until that happens no "flyover state" should take the democrats seriously when their major donor class can't be asked to actually be liberal outside of identity politics poo poo

christ, AZ would turn blue in a heartbeat if intel unionized or at least got pro-union with how many people they alone employ like 30 min outside of Phoenix

Most tech companies are liberal riiiiiiiiiiight up to the point where unions are involved. Then NOPE, NO UNION FOR YOU! ENJOY YOUR 80 HOUR WORKWEEKS AND THE PRIDE OF WORKING FOR A COMPANY LIKE AMAZON!

(oh, and it's not unique to tech companies too. It's well documented that retail and restaurants like to use salary based employees as "free overtime", something which Obama squashed this year for people making under around 48k. Watch Trump reverse that one :smith:)

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

since it appears that I'm gonna be super involved in the upcoming DNC civil war I really need a master miller avatar

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Grognan posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Apportionment_Amendment

Edit: having a rep for every 50k people, that would be something different.

God imagine how much of a clusterfuck a house of almost 7000 reps would be. 435 is way the gently caress too small, though. Even the UK has 650. 800-1000 would probably be doable. And with that many it wouldn't be such a big deal if some of them actually visited their home districts more often than 'every two years, to campaign'

Any reapportionment would have the result of shifting even more political power to cities at the expense of the rural areas, but the current situation isn't great either.

This isn't really what this thread is for though.

Gringostar posted:

until intel, google, apple, and all the silicone valley companies unionize their workforce democrats should be eating poo poo sandwiches when it comes to congress and the EC since until that happens no "flyover state" should take the democrats seriously when their major donor class can't be asked to actually be liberal outside of identity politics poo poo

:bernin:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

hailthefish posted:

God imagine how much of a clusterfuck a house of almost 7000 reps would be. 435 is way the gently caress too small, though. Even the UK has 650.

Galactic Senate size or bust, let's go full Star Wars prequels.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zen death robot posted:

It's gone too far though. The population in 1929 was 121 million. It's more than doubled since then.

According to census.gov, the urban/rural split in 1930 was 56.1% to 43.9% In 2010 that split is 80.7% versus 19.3%. That's a pretty strong argument in favor of moving voting power toward urban areas although given the realities of most cities' urban cores versus their suburbs and the current REP/DEM split in state legislatures, the GOP would gain massively from expansion of congressional districts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's ok if the Republicans benefit from things the government does as long as it also benefits the proletariat

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

iospace posted:

Most tech companies are liberal riiiiiiiiiiight up to the point where unions are involved. Then NOPE, NO UNION FOR YOU! ENJOY YOUR 80 HOUR WORKWEEKS AND THE PRIDE OF WORKING FOR A COMPANY LIKE AMAZON!

Techies themselves also tend to be anti-unionization.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having more seats would make them even more likely to surprise seat challenged which is a big reason the GOP is as internally divided as it is

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Is this why Willa got ran out of D&D because lol

yea. evilweasel in particular got/gets really really pissy when willa posted that the ACA is flawed in all the ways the ACA is evidently flawed in ways that now even a dipshit D&D poster has to acknowledge now that you either have lovely insurance or pay a lovely premium and it degenerated after that.

"petulant" was the phrase i think :discourse:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

enraged_camel posted:

Techies themselves also tend to be anti-unionization.

Which is loving dumb. Companies easily abuse them for free labor. If someone is making under 48k a year, they can qualify for OT, even on salary (well, it may go back down to 25k, who the gently caress knows). They know it, but for some odd reason they never organize to try to get OT pay.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGggCw1VoA

Man who said some things that are right

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

iospace posted:

Which is loving dumb. Companies easily abuse them for free labor. If someone is making under 48k a year, they can qualify for OT, even on salary (well, it may go back down to 25k, who the gently caress knows). They know it, but for some odd reason they never organize to try to get OT pay.

You know when people say liberals should stop smugly talking about how working class Americans keep voting against their own self-interest

Whenever someone says that you should point to techbros and their worship of crunch hours

Also the legal industry too is a great example of that poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's ok if the Republicans benefit from things the government does as long as it also benefits the proletariat

I'm not convinced that it would help anyone, though at 2 in the morning I'm hardly up for combing census.gov for evidence.

I guess it depends on whether you genuinely believe a congressional representative has done anything for a constituent ever as opposed to working only for the party, for his corporate masters, or his reelection. I do not have that kind of optimism left in my soul. From what I've read, all congressmen do now is follow the party line and make fundraising calls to large donors (though the fact that they all have to work massive phone banks where aides literally do everything to them that kids in call centers around the country have to endure cracks me up. "Congressman Smith, you've been on that phone two minutes, get the donation or move on!!!").

I don't see how more representatives helps anything other than diminish every representative's ability to do anything without party support and increase the cost of entry for corporations buying influence.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

iospace posted:

it goes beyond that since IIRC there was a huge case a while ago of the big tech companies conspiring together to underpay programmers

that programmers still think unionization was dumb after that can only mean that programmers are dumb while continuing to insist they aren't

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

programmers are the perfect neoliberals and silicon valley's embrace of hrc should erase all doubt of it.

also Facebook's refusal to acknowledge that they are the prime radicalization tool for fascism and racism as well

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And to be fair to the programmers, it's not an unreasonable fear that talking about unionization will lead to their jobs getting offshored right out from under them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MJ12 posted:

You know when people say liberals should stop smugly talking about how working class Americans keep voting against their own self-interest

Whenever someone says that you should point to techbros and their worship of crunch hours

Also the legal industry too is a great example of that poo poo

Honestly, I think most, if not all, industries who use pay salary expect OT at this point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zikan posted:

programmers are the perfect neoliberals and silicon valley's embrace of hrc should erase all doubt of it.

also Facebook's refusal to acknowledge that they are the prime radicalization tool for fascism and racism as well

Eh, if FB goes back to human filtering instead of simply the algorithm for trending, it'll help, but until then they've pretty much given up.

Twitter and Reddit, on the other hand are much bigger offenders.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hailthefish posted:

And to be fair to the programmers, it's not an unreasonable fear that talking about unionization will lead to their jobs getting offshored right out from under them.

It's a threat to any unionization effort except in maybe retail and restaurants.

e: ed "triple post" balls

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Zikan posted:

can we have "programmer" auto-changed to "fart sniffer" ZDR?

also gently caress facebook on general principals, but gently caress them for that to

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

hailthefish posted:

Pretty much, I mean not that there aren't plenty of diehard techno-libertarians but the more common reason is that they don't want to be replaced by an office of H1Bs

Normie Chomsky has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Nov 13, 2016

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

hailthefish posted:

this is every single job that isn't rooted in a physical space

efb

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Humidora posted:

Pretty much, I mean not that there aren't plenty of diehard techno-libertarians but the more common reason is that they don't want to be replaced by an office of H1Bs

another source of economically-driven xenophobia that made Trump potentially appealing~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

yea. evilweasel in particular got/gets really really pissy when willa posted that the ACA is flawed in all the ways the ACA is evidently flawed in ways that now even a dipshit D&D poster has to acknowledge now that you either have lovely insurance or pay a lovely premium and it degenerated after that.

"petulant" was the phrase i think :discourse:

that is extremely sad

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

iospace posted:

Most programmers make well above $48k, so those provisions likely don't apply to them.

Gringostar posted:

it goes beyond that since IIRC there was a huge case a while ago of the big tech companies conspiring together to underpay programmers

that programmers still think unionization was dumb after that can only mean that programmers are dumb while continuing to insist they aren't

The collusion was between the three big software companies in Silicon Valley. Programmers who work for those companies make up a very small percentage of programmers as a whole.

And even though there was collusion, let's get real here: we're still talking about salaries that are comfortably in the six-figure range. Think $150k and up. So yeah, even if a programmer got demonstrably hosed over by it, that is still a very long shot from making them want to unionize.

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Tech workers have little incentive to unionize because at best, they'll see better working conditions, but at a big risk of losing the ability to individually negotiate salary raises (and jumping to other companies to further leverage themselves which is what currently happens). If it fails, they get quickly replaced and become persona non grata at the other nearby companies

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

full stop

christ, AZ would turn blue in a heartbeat if intel unionized or at least got pro-union with how many people they alone employ like 30 min outside of Phoenix

Tech sector employees are so spineless that's rather do unpaid overtime than unionize

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hailthefish posted:

God imagine how much of a clusterfuck a house of almost 7000 reps would be. 435 is way the gently caress too small, though. Even the UK has 650. 800-1000 would probably be doable.

china even caps their farcical legislature at 3000

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

LastInLine posted:

I'm not convinced that it would help anyone, though at 2 in the morning I'm hardly up for combing census.gov for evidence.

I guess it depends on whether you genuinely believe a congressional representative has done anything for a constituent ever as opposed to working only for the party, for his corporate masters, or his reelection. I do not have that kind of optimism left in my soul. From what I've read, all congressmen do now is follow the party line and make fundraising calls to large donors (though the fact that they all have to work massive phone banks where aides literally do everything to them that kids in call centers around the country have to endure cracks me up. "Congressman Smith, you've been on that phone two minutes, get the donation or move on!!!").

I don't see how more representatives helps anything other than diminish every representative's ability to do anything without party support and increase the cost of entry for corporations buying influence.

While all congress is poo poo hail Satan, I think this is an overly pessimistic view of congress people. A lot of them are empty suits, but a good deal of them actually care but are just as crushed by the system as we are, albeit much higher up the totem pole. I would wager a lot of them do actually listen to their constituents, but between the current political climate of do nothing ever plus the blanket ban on pork of all kinds it's really goddamn hard to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

unironically a hidden plank in the new dem platform should be to reenable pork spending if they get back into power in congress

• Locked thread