Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yo Dog, I heard you liked windscreens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uuhhhhhhh, I don’t know how you would do that on a screen on a screen but here is how my (much bigger) Goldwing is set up

My little tighten-y bits broke so I replaced them with bolts and wingnuts so I can still adjust it without tools

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, maybe a fools errand but the pictures help, I'll look into again next weekend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Uuhhhhhhh, I don’t know how you would do that on a screen on a screen but here is how my (much bigger) Goldwing is set up

My little tighten-y bits broke so I replaced them with bolts and wingnuts so I can still adjust it without tools

Just absolutely bursting with dad/uncle energy, especially the gold wing nuts.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks, maybe a fools errand but the pictures help, I'll look into again next weekend.

YMMV but a parabellum rally screen and a cheap lip was all I needed to have zero head strain or bad buffetting on my dr on the highway. I'm tall, and also had the tall seat concepts seat, so you may not need the lip if that's not your situation. It was a dream at highway speeds (or blustery winter days).

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What's the bit on the Goldwing on the end of a little metal arm, sticking out below the mirror but above the engine guard on the left side in the first image?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RadioPassive posted:

What's the bit on the Goldwing on the end of a little metal arm, sticking out below the mirror but above the engine guard on the left side in the first image?

That is the highway wind guard as seen here with my janky custom bracing to keep it from flopping all over.

If you flip it out, it blasts a ton of air at your legs and torso. If you flip it in it blocks a ton of wind and you get mostly engine heat. So a very primitive highway HVAC

Slavvy posted:

Just absolutely bursting with dad/uncle energy, especially the gold wing nuts.

It’s me, the Goldwing nut

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

loving hell I didn't even realise I did that :lol:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Yo Dog, I heard you liked windscreens.

I mean, how bad are you with money?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm sure they're functional but I have to say I'm not a fan of the windscreen attached to the windscreen look. Although as a tall guy on a small bike I like my Zero Gravity Double Bubble, but my buddy thinks they're for squids. I honestly don't associate them with squids at all, assuming you don't attach them with spiked bolts.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Double Bubbles just look like regular windscreens to any normal person.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Double bubbles look very fighter jet to me, I can see why squids like them.

e/ or rather, I can see why someone would associate them with squids. They do look good though.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 14, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Double bubbles have a good amount of utility but I find them really ugly. Enough so that I don't use them.

Look at these things. The longer ones look like bad press on nails

Yuns fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 14, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My Ninja 650 has an adjustable windscreen mount and I threw my DB on there in the medium-high holes vs lowest and it looked ridiculous. Definitely a function over form situation. I guess if I were doing a long ride I would care less but I immediately threw it back in to the lowest holes because it did look like a press-on nail.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deserved or not, double bubbles definitely have a squid reputation.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

See looking at this photo of the various Zero Gravity screens on a Daytona, I would say:

Elviscat posted:

Double Bubbles just look like regular windscreens to any normal person.

Some of the other examples look a lot worse, but it seems subtle enough I wouldn't think it would have squid connotations because it's not very noticeable. It does however make a big difference in how the wind hits me on my bike, YMMV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I 100% believe that most people on the street don’t really notice small stuff like an oblong windshield. Heck, most people would probably look at a CBR125R and think you can outrun a cop or something.

That said, I stand by my “if I can’t stand looking at it, it’s gotta go” mantra. Ultimately if it looks like an eyesore to me I’ll try to fix it to the best of my ability since it’ll bother me every time I look at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've literally had someone who rides a bike ask me if a red Hyosung gt250 was a Ducati.

People don't know enough to give a gently caress. There are only three types of bike: Harley, crotch rocket, dirt bike.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ok well I put this fork brace on and now it bottoms out up front pretty easily. It always dove pretty hard, still does, was set up for a 140lb geriatric man.
I guess my question would’ve been “fuckin’ WHY”

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I've literally had someone who rides a bike ask me if a red Hyosung gt250 was a Ducati.

People don't know enough to give a gently caress. There are only three types of bike: Harley, crotch rocket, dirt bike.

Guy doing the yearly state inspection when I had a beta 390. “Beta, huh? Some kind of Chinese knockoff.”

E: I cannot stress enough how little a big enduro bike looks like a knockoff anything.

builds character fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 14, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TBF I thought GasGas was Chinese knockoff bike until I got into watching trials riding.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
GasGas is the best possible bike with the worst possible name but like you I didn't know GasGas or Beta until I got into watching trials.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

trials is probably one of the best motor sports to watch in person being as you can walk the course about as fast as they ride it :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

TBF I thought GasGas was Chinese knockoff bike until I got into watching trials riding.

In my experience they may as well be built in china for how poorly built they seem to be.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They just got bought out by KTM, so have no fear, soon they'll have the Austrian build quality we all know and love.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Is there still a street bike culture like there was in the early 2000's?

I did the cliche thing where I road for a decade, got married and stopped riding, and now I'm riding again. And now that I'm back I really miss the lovely squid community of the late 90's early 2000's. Like I remember I'd be riding alone in 2002 and just see other street bike guys hanging out, pull up, and we could just talk about bikes. Today I will occasionally see sports bike guys doing high way pulls but not the bike community like I remember. Yeah there are meetup groups but it's not the same.

Forgive the old man yelling at a cloudness of this post, but has the biking community changed that much or is it just me.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
You know what I bet it is, I bet it’s the low fender hardware hitting the bottom of the upper clamp, I installed that fender pretty drat high and my fork is lowered in that clamp a couple inches.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Oceanlife posted:

Is there still a street bike culture like there was in the early 2000's?

I did the cliche thing where I road for a decade, got married and stopped riding, and now I'm riding again. And now that I'm back I really miss the lovely squid community of the late 90's early 2000's. Like I remember I'd be riding alone in 2002 and just see other street bike guys hanging out, pull up, and we could just talk about bikes. Today I will occasionally see sports bike guys doing high way pulls but not the bike community like I remember. Yeah there are meetup groups but it's not the same.

Forgive the old man yelling at a cloudness of this post, but has the biking community changed that much or is it just me.

idk if you've heard but there's a pandemic right now :D

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oceanlife posted:

Yeah there are meetup groups but it's not the same.

Look, old man. FB groups are the way things are done now for random "who's out lets ride" and group rides. If you want to be in a group of lovely sportbike squids thats the good way to do it. The other thing you can do, at least in my city, is find out the gas station or hangout that these people congregate at before rides and just show up and meet people. In my city, it's a BP downtown that people show up at night on weekends and line their bikes up. There is another spot for street races but that's different.

But also:

right arm posted:

idk if you've heard but there's a pandemic right now :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In bigger cities there are generally organized events that happen regularly and are, as mentioned, planned on Facebook groups.

I belong to a few big MKE groups and “who’s out today, let’s cruise” posts are still very much a thing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Group rides w/ random FB people? <centipedes in my vagina.jpg>

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My local bike shop organizes long rides every third Sunday of the month, you may find something like that

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Chaos Mode impromptu group ride - Speed past motorcycle cops with your horn blaring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Group rides w/ random FB people? <centipedes in my vagina.jpg>

To be fair those are mostly cruise rides, no twisties, which are a nightmare with randos

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cruise rides are dumb as poo poo. Hey let's all meet at a suburban plaza parking lot, then ride downtown to show off slowly and loudly for all the tourists, because gently caress the people who actually live there and God forbid we should all poo poo where we sleep.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone needs to join their local scooter group

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone needs to join their local scooter group

UberEats?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've always run Michelin and Pirelli sportbike tires with really good results. In the past few years I used Michelin Pilot Power, Power 2CT, and Power RS and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, Diablo Rosso II and have some Diablo Rosso III on order. All have been great. I'm currently looking at the current crop of tires including the Rosso III, Rosso Corsa II, Supercorsa SP on the Pirelli side and Power 5, Power GP, and Power Cup 2 on the Michelin side. My usage is commuting and utility riding, aggressive weekend riding, and hopefully track use at Yamaha Champions School and California Superbike School next year. I wanted to branch out and see if anyone had sportbike tire recommendations from other tire manufacturers. I know Pirelli owns Metzeler but any recommendations on Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Metzeler etc.? People seem to like the Dunlop Q3+ and Q4 etc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Speaking as a mechanic who mounts tires, no one should ever buy any tire other than a Michelin. Regardless of model, Michelins are almost guaranteed to be easier to mount than everything else. Far far more pliable. I don't know what the French are doing with their rubber compounds over there but it's totally different from everyone else. Even the full on sport tires from Dunlop and Pirelli feel like wood in comparison. Possible exception for Michelin Commanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Speaking as a mechanic who mounts tires, no one should ever buy any tire other than a Michelin. Regardless of model, Michelins are almost guaranteed to be easier to mount than everything else. Far far more pliable. I don't know what the French are doing with their rubber compounds over there but it's totally different from everyone else. Even the full on sport tires from Dunlop and Pirelli feel like wood in comparison. Possible exception for Michelin Commanders.

You reckon? Yeah Bridgestone and Dunlop are basically made of granite but pirelli are super easy for me, the sportiest ones feel like elastic.