Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Gunder posted:

Can you post some pictures of the frosted minis?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4qmNdrOJj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is after applying a gloss coat to try and restore it.

"You will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up"

Most of them I'll just re-paint over. One of them had a big ol thick glob of gloss added (again in desperation) so it might need stripping, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
your dog is really cute omg

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Haha, thanks. He knows it and as such he's a total butthead.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Aranan posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4qmNdrOJj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is after applying a gloss coat to try and restore it.

"You will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up"

Most of them I'll just re-paint over. One of them had a big ol thick glob of gloss added (again in desperation) so it might need stripping, but oh well.

So I'm assuming the one on the left is the frosted one and the one on the right is unfrosted? Assuming I'm not an idiot and that's the case - I wonder if something like Black Templar Contrast washed over all of the black/dark gray armor plates could do a decent salvage job (quickly), with maybe you having to go back and redo some of the white/light gray highlights.

If you take my suggestion please only try it on one model so you don't hate me too much if I'm wrong.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Spanish Manlove posted:

your dog is really cute omg
:emptyquote:

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I know it's a bummer, but the example model at least still looks really great? Like without the other to compare, I'd assume this was an intentional thing to make the carapace look more organic or something. :shobon:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not mine but I had to share it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
cmon man, at least credit the artist

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

craftworldstudios on IG

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure how to link Facebook posts, but here

https://m.facebook.com/groups/eaviermetal/permalink/5470194789711354/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share

By "craftworld studio" I guess

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thinking about getting some sort of vortex mixer. Any recommendations? Also, I'm deep in a strong desire to make cyberpunk minis and I'm thinking about basing future models that I think I'll have in the future. I made some of the cyberpunk red cops up, and gave them some asphalt road bases, but I'm running now on ways to give a ton of cyberpunk minis distinct looking bases. Any ideas or sources of inspiration?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Turns out that contrast paints are really good for getting results super fast. I wanted to wait until I based these corsairs until I took pictures but I'm having too much fun with them.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wrr posted:

Thinking about getting some sort of vortex mixer. Any recommendations? Also, I'm deep in a strong desire to make cyberpunk minis and I'm thinking about basing future models that I think I'll have in the future. I made some of the cyberpunk red cops up, and gave them some asphalt road bases, but I'm running now on ways to give a ton of cyberpunk minis distinct looking bases. Any ideas or sources of inspiration?

Just buy whatever's cheapest on eBay, I got mine for $15 last year I think. Look for tattoo ink or nail polish mixers and you'll find a decent cheap one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am somewhat fed up with GW's painting app not keeping inventory and wish lists across multiple devices, along with not being regularly updated. To that end I made my own using airtable. I know it is the worst imaginable time, with 40 new paints being introduced next month and some being retired, but I am looking to perhaps make a whole suite of hobby tracking databases and thought this would be a good start. If anyone wants to give it a try the link is below. It doesn't do anything that the citadel app doesn't, it is just a pretty basic paint tracking thing. This is kind of the beta test. I will add some more pictures of the metallic and contrast paints after the release next month.

https://www.airtable.com/universe/expu23ugh95F0w7hq/hobby-paints-tracker-gw

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
Got my first game tomorrow so did up my bike boss. Good learning experience with forgeworld resin, definitely had a few hiccups compared to normal plastic kits. Wish they gave better assembly instructions in particular.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I did not realize that they are retiring some paints. Any idea if Jokaro Orange/ Ulthuan Grey are on the menu? My army depends on them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The only paints going away is the gloss washes and nothing else. And that's because they're apparently redone the formula for the shades and supposedly the gloss ones won't work as well since they're now meant to go into the recesses more.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Nuln oil gloss is my secret liquid talent for chaos knights, I'll be sad to see it go

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Nuln oil gloss is my secret liquid talent for chaos knights, I'll be sad to see it go

Stock up while you can.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I know the topic of airbrush priming has come up a few times recently. Vince Venturella just put out a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGjBQzoukFg

Helpful stuff on cleaning, using, what kind of primers to use, etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slapped some paint onto the free mini from the awkwardly-named The Printing Goes Ever On's equally awkwardly-named Dnd Is a Woman campaign.

Just half-assed it to get an idea how I'd like them painted up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Try Pledge future floor finish mixed with a little black ink.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Finished a plasmagunner for my 90's SoH project, so took proper photos of it and the test model. Was much quicker as I wasn't shading with black ink; have a ton of respect for people who did that back then.

A few more pictures here for those so inclined: https://imgur.com/a/38j9Gdk

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Barring some base work and cleanup, I'm more or less ready to call these WTs done after working on them all weekend. For a second painted squad I'm happy with the results in-person (and especially from tabletop distance) but hoo boy the camera makes me see how sloppy some of it came out. Going to carry on what I learned on these to the next squad. Also, eye lenses are hard.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the 40K thread. I haven’t posted in a while but have painted some more hams of war.

An Exalted Sorcerer - his foot is magnetised so I can run him on a Disc of Tzeentch or on foot.

One five man squad of Rubric Marines.

One squad of Scarab Occult Terminators.

I also redid the bases of Magnus the Red and my Lord of Change.

A Thousand Sons Daemon Prince. Decided to paint his skin in Magnus colours to make him stand out a bit more.

My fiancée has started building an Adepta Sororitas army, so I painted up her Penitent Engine for her to help demonstrate how shades and dry brushing works. Quite a nice change of pace.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossposting from the 40K thread. I haven’t posted in a while but have painted some more hams of war.

These are amazing and make me want to waste money on thousand sons I'd never actually play with.

They'd also never look as good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm a little jealous at how clean those look

Haven't had the chance to paint for a while now cause I've been on a video game kick, and I'm getting a little overwhelmed by my backlog

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Had a bit of a disappointment last weekend. Sat down to paint my first batch of sisters and, since it was already dark and very VERY hot and humid outside, I wanted to use my brush on primer I'd purchased as a backup to spray on.

So, uh, did I buy something meant for air brushes:

It was very watery straight out of the bottle and went on like trying to apply a flesh shade to bare plastic. I'd watched YouTube videos of people using what I thought was this exact product, and it went on much more like paint - maybe a couple thin coats but nothing like what was coming out of my bottle. I shook it, then when I saw what it looked like I shook it some more. Did I just buy the wrong stuff? Did storing it on it's side mess it up?

I went with Rust-Oleum spray on instead and *wouldn't you know it* I spray it on way too thick :argh:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

My first instinct would be that it’s such a large bottle you probably need to shake the absolute hell out of it before you start painting, maybe even take the cap off and wriggle a skewer around in there to break up any sediment. Vallejo primer can go straight into an airbrush but it should brush on just fine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Had a bit of a disappointment last weekend. Sat down to paint my first batch of sisters and, since it was already dark and very VERY hot and humid outside, I wanted to use my brush on primer I'd purchased as a backup to spray on.

It was very watery straight out of the bottle and went on like trying to apply a flesh shade to bare plastic. I'd watched YouTube videos of people using what I thought was this exact product, and it went on much more like paint - maybe a couple thin coats but nothing like what was coming out of my bottle. I shook it, then when I saw what it looked like I shook it some more. Did I just buy the wrong stuff? Did storing it on it's side mess it up?

I went with Rust-Oleum spray on instead and *wouldn't you know it* I spray it on way too thick :argh:

I use vallejo surface primer as a brush on primer. It's watery. Depending on material, you'll probably want two or more coats, not goop it on. If it's waaaaaay too watery though you might need to shake it more. But don't expect it to be think like a GW layer paint.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

lilljonas posted:

I use vallejo surface primer as a brush on primer. It's watery. Depending on material, you'll probably want two or more coats, not goop it on. If it's waaaaaay too watery though you might need to shake it more. But don't expect it to be think like a GW layer paint.

Yeah, Vallejo surface primer works fine brushing on, but you pretty much have to act like you're painting a base coat and "two thin coats" it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
OK, thanks all. I did read later that, if it doesn't seem to be sticking, don't panic Because the next coat will apply better to the almost transparent first coat. I'll try it again later.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Vallejo brush on primer is what I use on almost everything and I've never had a problem with it. Just shake the hell out of it. It's not thick but it still works really well, at least for me, but I always do at least 2 thin coats.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You all want a bag of 8mm hematite beads to drop into your larger bottles of stuff. They're a great aid in loosening stuff up and getting it off the bottom. I've got three in a 10oz bottle of Vallejo primer and they really let me feel how gunked up the bottom of the bottle is. After about a minute it's gone loose and another minute or two and it's downright frothy and ready to go into the airbrush.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Primaris Watch Lieutenant last night :woop:

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

This is so rad, I like how you painted the other arm the same as the original armor color. Are you doing that for all of them, or just the leadership?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't even know! :keke: I just did it for this one because it seemed like a cool idea at the time and I'm happy it turned out ok. I might do it again for a Watch Sergeant or two.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

We're starting a Necromunda league so I decided to break out of my normally dull colored box and attempt to paint some Escher gangers with brighter colors.

This is a test one that I did quick attempting to do my take on the studio scheme without the insane stuff like cheetah print and zebra stripes.

Turns out I'm pretty bad at painting bright colors, and I'm going to give up entirely on using yellow paint and just use yellow inks over white/grey from now on. I need to clean up the edges of the green streak of hair, and put a bit more work into the skin, but I'm at a loss of what to do further to make it look less meh.

I'm thinking of changing up the shirt color to a color that's not a bitch to paint, but I'm creatively bankrupt and can't think of something while still letting me go nuts on different hair colors.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Isn't red a very vibrant color that tends to cover better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Red does have good coverage, but when I'm going nuts with hair colors I feel like it wouldn't have enough contrast with red, orange, pink, etc...