Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vaporware posted:

I just pour paint on my cutting mat like an animal. I'm rarely painting figures lately tho, mostly terrain or small touchups.

When I can remember/ actually going to paint for more than 10 minutes, I use the 8 dish round aluminum palette i got at Michael's art supply store. At least it's easy to clean out

yeah no don't do this. stop. You're better than this.

also post your poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
You can't change me, I'll post my clown murder mat tomorrow.
These are all pretty old but whatever.
I had no idea I haven't really been documenting any of my painting. I never get engagement on Twitter so I just stopped taking pics.

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1278846610492084228

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1298080353886797824

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1365518645103906816

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I finished 4 out of 7 plague marines and i am having fun

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Don't feel bad! There's a few things you'll NOT want to put on the wet palette so the paper ones aren't totally useless.

That being said, a cheap plastic palette thing from an art store will be ~2.99 and is reusable for next time

Things that may not want to be on a wet palette*:
  • Some metallics
  • Washes
  • Contrast Paint/Speedpaint
  • Stuff that separates easily
  • Textured paints

*this stuff is both super subjective but also like different from paint to paint

Gotcha, thanks for the advice I'd seen some of it but not all. Initial impressions of using it: unreal difference in efficiency out of the pot. Didn't have to refill once when getting through 2 thin coats for a mini. Not sure if it was a placebo or just extra moisture on the brush, but one of my cheapo brushes that struggled to keep a point was holding one much better when getting into some nooks and crannies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Agree with some paints not being great with wet palettes. Alternative to buying plastic palette is getting bathroom tiles from a home improvement store. They are ~$1 each for a small 5” square and you can get different colors which helps you see what the paint might look like with those colors underneath. Easily washed with hot water too.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Is averland sunset normally so goopy or did I get a bad pot? I have to thin it to pretty much a wash consistency and apply several layers to get the same effect as other base paints without clogging.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I came into a few 1:35 vehicles recently and I think one of them is prime for Ork'n up.

Does anyone have any printable ork armor templates I can use as stencils on plasticard? Also any recommendations for plasticard thickness? I currently only have 1mm.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 15, 2022

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Bored Online posted:

Is averland sunset normally so goopy or did I get a bad pot? I have to thin it to pretty much a wash consistency and apply several layers to get the same effect as other base paints without clogging.

Feels like my experience with it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bored Online posted:

More or less, yeah. I wouldn't say I need to water it to wash levels but I do thin it down where I need at least 4 good layers.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When I transferred my paints to droppers, I had to add a metal ball and leave it on the vortex mixer for a good, minute or two uninterrupted, and also add a little bit of retarder and flow aid

Especially any citadel paints that were using white in it, like yellow or light blue or such

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
It is making my experience painting imperial fists unpleasant enough that I will probably try other brands. I used contrast for my basic troops and its fine, but I wanted to go all out on this captain, and it is becoming a real slog

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Demilich posted:

I came into a few 1:35 vehicles recently and I think one of them is prime for Ork'n up.

Does anyone have any printable ork armor templates I can use as stencils on plasticard? Also any recommendations for plasticard thickness? I currently only have 1mm.

TBF, cutting up some big chunky styrene in rough bits by eyeballing it seems like the thing to do in this context.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Finished my first "commission" (really just an exchange of time for Bushido models). I'll be sad to see these go, but it took me almost a year to get the set finished.

Super Fantasy Brawl

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It looks amazing! Congrats on a well done long project!

I keep extending my Sternguards because I’m having so much fun with them. Two more models makes 10, and that’s the cut off. I hope to post photos soon!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

grassy gnoll posted:

TBF, cutting up some big chunky styrene in rough bits by eyeballing it seems like the thing to do in this context.

I agree, I wanted it more as an aesthetic reference specific to ork vehicle armor. It's new territory for me and I figure if there's already reference material out there that exists then that saves me having to block in more time to research stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i don't have an airbrush and I'll never get one, so I tried out drybrushing the value sketch before contrasts. It's phenomenal, I love this

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bored Online posted:

It is making my experience painting imperial fists unpleasant enough that I will probably try other brands. I used contrast for my basic troops and its fine, but I wanted to go all out on this captain, and it is becoming a real slog

for yellows I've found that contrast is the way to go, or to drybryush/stipple on the base coat. Very much like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlDTNPhBfzo

edit: this video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUd5GFXWGsI

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 16, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
plaguebearer flesh contrast paint is fuggin amazing. this is my wip plagueburst crawler and the paintjob looks phenomenal irl, like way better than you would imagine i could do.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

i don't have an airbrush and I'll never get one, so I tried out drybrushing the value sketch before contrasts. It's phenomenal, I love this

apparently this was a common technique for oil paints. Do all your tones in black and white (cheap) and then add a little color on top (expensive)

I've been meaning to do exactly this soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOZ4g4h0II

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny Nox posted:

apparently this was a common technique for oil paints. Do all your tones in black and white (cheap) and then add a little color on top (expensive)

I've been meaning to do exactly this soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOZ4g4h0II

of course this video is in spanish lol

Edit: another thing that the drybrush method is really useful for is that I can do different parts in different temperatures of white. i went heavy with a cold off white (p3 frostbite) then just a top down application of pure white. But for areas I want warmer or more highlighted I drybrushed with a n ivory (vallejo ivory) to make them stand out

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 16, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
With hobby paints everything old is new again. Here's Marco Frisoni painting en grisaille and then going over it with contrast. Definitely something I wanna try sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt0oaltZ2IU

Eej fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 16, 2022

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Demilich posted:

1mm styrene sheets are perfect for armor plates on ork vehicles. It's primarily what I use for all my ork conversions and even for scratch building. I occasionally throw in some 2mm thick pieces just for variety but it's really not necessary.

You don't really need templates, what you want to do is cut it into rough rectangles, clip off some of the corners, roughly bevel some of the edges and then place them where you want them. No two plates should be exactly the same.
Rivets are the really tough thing, there are sources for resin rivets and bolt heads, but what I usually do it get 1mm or smaller sticks of round, square and hexagonal styrene and then use a hobby knife to slice off small pieces to make bolts and rivets. Just put a tiny dab of cement where you want the rivet and then drop the little piece of styrene in the middle of it. You can also use the tiny plastic beads that you'll find if you cut open a water filter if you want rounded head rivets, but they're a real pain in the rear end to place and glue down.

If you can get some various sizes of styrene pipes you can use them to make gun barrels and exhaust pipes

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Eej posted:

With hobby paints everything old is new again. Here's Marco Frisoni painting en grisaille and then going over it with contrast. Definitely something I wanna try sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt0oaltZ2IU

The more I play with speedpaints, the more it feels like this is going to be the most natural way to use them

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have had a few attempts at this. My latest batch has turned out 90% the way I want, I have a good value sketch but the spray pattern from my airbrush wasn't always neat. Can't see myself skipping this step anymore. If anything I think I will slowly be adding more and more underpainting to the process as I get more confident.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
For rivets, a lot of weed whacker trim line is hexagonal

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mortimer Knag posted:

For rivets, a lot of weed whacker trim line is hexagonal

Does weedwacker trim line work with plastic cement? if so that's a nice hack, probably easier to find somebody with a weedwacker that can spare a few inches of line than to hunt down hexagonal styrene in a lot of places.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If the spray pattern coming out of my airbush isn't a full "cloud" (i.e. if looked at from side-on only the bottom two-thirds is fully spraying) is this a symptom of a bent needle? I cleaned the hell out of it so I don't think it's material caught in the brush.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Haven't painted in a while so trying to get back into the swing of things with one of goon sculptor lilljonas's excellent ducks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That's a good duck with a good eye

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished a few more 'Mech lances.

Light Lance

Medium Lance

Heavy Lance

Assault Lance

And the group shot

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Does weedwacker trim line work with plastic cement? if so that's a nice hack, probably easier to find somebody with a weedwacker that can spare a few inches of line than to hunt down hexagonal styrene in a lot of places.

I don't think so, but who knows? There's so many different brands and types that one of them has ro, but regular CA/super glue works fine for me.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

finished moving and completed my first model in weeks.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Finally finished my first Tyranid models and I felt weirdly happy/good with how they turned out. :)

Then I varnished them and they all frosted over. :(

I spent a few hours trying out various methods I found online to try and salvage them, but no dice. I'm quite sad and frustrated, but I guess that's life. I got impatient and used the last of my rattle can instead of waiting for the airbrush varnish I ordered to arrive.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just keep trucking and working on other models and when you're done with those you can go back, dip them in some Simple Green to strip the paint and re-do your old models with more experience!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
What methods did you try? There's a few ways to deal with frosting.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I tried hitting them with gloss varnish, another layer of matte varnish, using a hair dryer, brushing on olive oil (?? I got desperate and saw it suggested a few places). Nothing really changed how they looked.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can you post some pictures of the frosted minis?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
If nothing else works and you don't have a dozen layers of paint on there, you can just gloss over the frosty bits and paint over them. As long as you're not obscuring the model details*, you can get some nice effects by layering over that paint. Vince V is a big proponent of more paint instead of stripping!

* this comes down to personal preference and I've definitely stripped minis after layering so much paint that they started to look fat. No shame in it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gunder posted:

Can you post some pictures of the frosted minis?

Failing that, some pictures of frosted mini wheats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Now they're Ice Tyranids