Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm digging Record Keeper so far. Not a lot of depth, but it's got enough to work as a great mobile game, and as mentioned is really what ATB should've been to begin with.

What's the deal with the FF Picross game? Japanese-only, and from the little I tried it's doing FF battles with Picross? Does the grid go into more complex stuff than 5x5 grids or whatever? Anyone have any idea about the gameplay for this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

10 HD looks fine. Just uh don't look at non-player characters too closely

The player characters look fine. So long as they're not talking. Or doing any sort of facial emoting. Don't outsource your animation work, kids.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just know that if you skip to KHII without finishing CoM there's going to be some plot points in II that aren't going to be explained at all because they expect you to have played and beaten CoM to know the entire story. I never played CoM and while I was never completely confused, there was a whole lot of "Wait what the hell are they talking about, when did this happen?"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Chain of Memories is not woth the time investment. Look for the cut scenes on YouTube and move on to a better game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Should I watch 38673/2*53 before or after KH2?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

victrix posted:

After.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

victrix posted:

I'd say after.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

victrix posted:

Play the games in release date order, even if they're prequels.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'd argue jumping straight from KH1 to KH2 is the superior experience. Total mindfuck

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Terper posted:

^^^ No enemy in the game is immune to Slow.

How

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Played Episode Duscae while lying in bed last night on the Vita and it was quite awesome. The demo is surprisingly Remote Play friendly.

But holy poo poo :lol: at Noctis' english voice. I cannot believe how bad it is. Anime batman?!

i played the entire thing from start to finish on my Vita because I had to travel 1 hr after getting the package aside from not seeing Ramuh full screen it was very, very good even being 150km away from my console.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Speaking of summons I realized they haven't been good since X. I guess summoning a controllable ally is a lot more difficult to balance than SE expects.

Summons in XV seem pretty bad-rear end.

How did you notice that?? :wtc:

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I saw what you had to do and then went and killed Yevon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there ever a point in Record Keeper where you can't beat everything other than bosses just by auto battling? I mean I guess it's the authentic FF experience, but eh.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

If Ringabel turns out to be the final boss of Bravely Second I wouldn't be surprised, but it would also be even more sad.

What the everloving gently caress is wrong with you and your apparent allergy to spoiler tags. gently caress you. You're a goddamn idiot and now you're ruining a game I was enjoying because you won't shut your loving mouth.

Yeah, internet, I'm mad. I'm an old man with a real job and little time to finish games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

gologle is dumb because there really isn't anything in BD to suggest that would be the case

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, Ringabel is a man of many mysteries but none of them set him up as that. Gologle's just a weapons-grade dipshit.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What the everloving gently caress is wrong with you and your apparent allergy to spoiler tags. gently caress you. You're a goddamn idiot and now you're ruining a game I was enjoying because you won't shut your loving mouth.

Yeah, internet, I'm mad. I'm an old man with a real job and little time to finish games.

Nothing is ruined. You can still have fun. Enjoy the game!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why do you believe a single word Gologle is posting?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You're dumb, he's literally only posting his musings on what he thinks is going to happen and those musings are also completely wrong and based on nothing. Also while the cast and character interactions are good :laffo: if you're playing Bravely Default for anything other than the gameplay, especially the over all narrative.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Nothing is ruined. You can still have fun. Enjoy the game!

Thanks. Haven't seen whatever he blathered about, and seriously, we've been using spoiler tags on this forum for over a decade.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also while the cast and character interactions are good :laffo: if you're playing Bravely Default for anything other than the gameplay, especially the over all narrative.

The characters and dialogue are good, but I'm the dumb one for enjoying them?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The characters and dialogue are good, but I'm the dumb one for enjoying them?

The characters and dialogue in the skits are good, the over all plot and villains are really loving dumb and boring and you're dumb for making a post crying because gologle said "I think this might happen later in the game!" and you took that to be biblical canon.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The characters and dialogue in the skits are good, the over all plot and villains are really loving dumb and boring and you're dumb for making a post crying because gologle said "I think this might happen later in the game!" and you took that to be biblical canon.

I haven't finished the game yet, but thanks for the enlightenment. That idiot has been posting about the game untagged for awhile now, not sure how you failed to notice, and I took one post to respond to. I was responding less to the plot point in question and more to his flagrant disregard for anyone else who may have yet to play.

But thanks for attacking me as a person!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Not trying to criticize anybody in particular here, but I've never gotten why people get so upset about spoilers. Journey and destination and all that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I haven't finished the game yet, but thanks for the enlightenment. That idiot has been posting about the game untagged for awhile now, not sure how you failed to notice, and I took one post to respond to. I was responding less to the plot point in question and more to his flagrant disregard for anyone else who may have yet to play.

But thanks for attacking me as a person!

Don't worry. Nothing he has said has been in any way relevant to the actual plot of BD. You can safely ignore it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

If a story is well written, knowing what happens doesn't make it any worse. The Usual Suspects/Citizen Kane/whatever are still really loving good movies after you've seen them five times and know the big twist.

The joke here is that there are literally zero jrpgs that have legitimately good, well written stories so who cares

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's cool to like things instead of being endlessly cynical about how things are bad and people are bad for liking them

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

caring about spoilers for something you enjoy is a natural reaction

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BD is good and the core cast is fun. It's story is dumb and bad, even by FF standards, but that's okay because it is still a good game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i didn't like bd's story, but if pyroxene stigma does, that's pretty cool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I am somethingawful, and I will strike you down for enjoying literally anything, mo fo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

it's cool to like things instead of being endlessly cynical about how things are bad and people are bad for liking them

Agreed and I hate you

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Out of the current Record Keeper characters the best party setup you'll have is probably Cloud, Tidus, Kain, Tyro, and Rydia (if we get Lenna in this version her and Rydia work as a good magic pair). If you want more magic/melee then replace Tyro because he's terribly average. He also levels slower than others, considering that on the Japan version I unlocked his lvl 65 cap before Cecil's, and Cecil's level 64 while Tyro's only 60. Tyro can apparently use every skill and item though, which is nice. Rydia's a flat out better magic user than the mages, Tidus is a less durable but faster fighter than Cloud. Cloud's a physical beast and he can use elemental sword attacks and if someone uses Boost on him he's going to be able to hit elemental weaknesses even harder.

epitasis posted:

Downloaded this as well. I would pay a lot of money for FFIV Complete PSP-quality sprite remakes of all the hideous Final Fantasies (7-12).

Reposting some info I tossed in the iOS thread:

Some Record Keeper Thoughts: (going by my experiences playing the Japanese version for awhile now)
- Don't go heavy on the gacha for now if you can help it. If you can manage to get up to 50 mithril for an 11 pull that'd be ideal but the going could be a bit rough in the meanwhile.
- Levels are huge early on, especially since your gear will be garbage unless you just whaled to get everyone a bunch of relics even though the current gacha has so few 5 star items in it.
- Cloud is awesome and unless you run an entire team that's game-specific he'll be your main melee guy until you can get characters like Sephiroth and DK/Paladin Cecils from their event dungeons.
- Tidus is good too and he's being given away to new players as part of the game's launch apparently. (warrior seems ok? I never used him)
- Event dungeons are always worth running for their character (and lvl crystal once those are added later) if you can manage it.
- Blade Bash's stun can work on a surprising amount of bosses (it's got a very low success rate though)
- Boost is also awesome and you should have it on Tyro so he can boost cloud/tidus/kain/warrior's atk against bosses.
- Buffing on wave 1/3 or 2/3 will let those buffs carry over to the boss you're about to fight on wave 3/3 (the duration doesn't reset afaik).
- If you crash or "crash" in a fight reloading the app lets you restart your combat's round from the beginning.
-- If you crash when as boss is dying congratulations! You get to fight him all over.
- White Mage and Black Mage are as terrible as they look, ditch the Blakc Mage for kid Rydia at the least and the White Mage for Lenna. Lenna's limit is better than the AOE heal at higher levels too.
- Damage and defense scale fast. A character with 50 atk might do 200 dmg to an enemy while someone with 100 atk does 500+ to them.
- Don't go overboard combining 1 and 2 rarity junk early on. You'll want the money for making (and upgrading) skills and that extra 2-3 atk/def is going to mean less against most hard fights than an extra couple skill uses.
- It's worth running the daily dungeons a few (dozen) times for materials. Skills are useful as hell and if you level them a few times you'll have enough uses to burn attacks outside of boss fights. Or you'll have more to burn on boss fights which is also good especially if you're using Cloud and an elemental attack on something weak to it.
- Elemental melee attacks ignore reflect. gently caress you, Baigan.

Really the gacha for relics is terrible early on. Cloud's Buster Sword is always going to be in there and even with rate up it's only a few percent chance to get a 5 star item. You can (and will) do 11 item pulls and get only 3-4 star items unless DeNA changed the mechanics for this English release.

Record Keeper's got some mechanics in it that the Japanese version didn't have until after launch (growth eggs, for example). Hopefully it gets more caught up to the Japanese version since the one-time tasks are nice for getting extra mithril and we all could use Golbez and his relic axe's shadow dragon special attack. :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there ever a point in Record Keeper where you can't beat everything other than bosses just by auto battling? I mean I guess it's the authentic FF experience, but eh.

If you haven't grinding xp elsewhere, like running the daily event a dozen times for skill orbs? Antlion. Mist Dragon if you don't kill it before it trurns to mist.

If you're heavily geared/overleveled then you can walk over a lot of enemies though. There are bosses occasionally that require ranged/magic to hit but IIRC the first non-melee boss was a FF7 boss who we probably won't see for a month or two depending on how fast this version catches up. If/when we get Mt. Ordeals as the event dungeon you'll get wrecked solidly by Milon and other boss fights if you try to auto it unless you're heavily overleveled.

e: If DeNA West is as nice with Mithril here as they are in Japan (highly unlikely) then as long as you log in daily you should end up with a healthy bit of currency without spending money. I've gotten an extra Mithril in addition to daily login prizes every day for 3-4 months now in Japan. It's awesome, but it's probably generous as hell because Japan's so cutthroat. I'd like DeNA West to prove me wrong and rain mithril on us here too though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 27, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Whatever happened to that FF Monster Hunter-like game that was announced a while back?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Speculation =/= "spoilers" tho

Whatever happened to that FF Monster Hunter-like game that was announced a while back?

Everybody hated it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I finished Type Zero. It really falls apart in later chapters. This will probably be the last time I think about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Beef Waifu posted:

Agreed and I hate you

Yeah here I am agreeing with you people I normally hate. Spoilers suck, end of story. They can even ruin the journey. And I'm sorry (not actually sorry) but no one gets to tell people here they aren't actually enjoying a story they are enjoying because you're not lord of Final Fantasy or the forums, you're solely lord of your own lovely life.

tldr: spoiler tags, learn them love them, stop being a wad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not actually hate Cake Attack, that's just the character I play on something awful. In real life he is my canadian friend whom I have played Smash and discussed anime with.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers are cool too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Motto posted:

Not trying to criticize anybody in particular here, but I've never gotten why people get so upset about spoilers. Journey and destination and all that.

I'm the same way I actually love spoilers and they make me want to watch/play things even more. At the very least I can't imagine saying "Well, what's even the point in watching Star Wars anymore, I already know Darth Vader is Luke's father!"

So Gull Force seems like the best way to get credits at Calm Skies but it's irritating because to get a payout worth anything you have to get to at least 2-3 where you're relying on a ton of luck to pass, I can occasionally beat 2-4 but it's pretty frustrating when I don't. Haven't had much luck finding Mounted Assault from the Chocobo Ranch either, I know it's not great or anything but it still would be nice.

It's only now I realize that a trophy for getting every Garment Grid would be hell.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just know that if you skip to KHII without finishing CoM there's going to be some plot points in II that aren't going to be explained at all because they expect you to have played and beaten CoM to know the entire story. I never played CoM and while I was never completely confused, there was a whole lot of "Wait what the hell are they talking about, when did this happen?"

Organization XIII is just a gigantic walking plot tumor that just kills all the fun of running around as a boy with Donald and Goofy fighting silly puppet people who got their hearts jacked. They are the single biggest problem in a series full of big problems and they're a great reason just to loving skip the hell out of Chain of Memories so you don't have to try and decipher their own special brand of bullshit. (And unlike Xehanort's pile of convoluted bullshit that infests BBS, the two non-KH2 games focused around Orgy XIII's aren't that great anyways.)

Like, I like the first part of KH2, where the Heartless are again the main bad guys and you're basically just going from place to place resolving Disney plots. But the back half of that game where you gotta revisit everywhere because Organization XIII finally decided to do something besides wear dark robes and glower at people who actually had feelings (despite the fact that two and a half games have been devoted to Orgy XIII's emotional dysfunction now) is just a massive black hole of un-fun.

It's pretty sad when Peg Leg Pete, almost by himself carries his half of the game better then these a half dozen of these fuckwits.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 27, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Beef Waifu posted:

Spoilers are cool too.

:aatrek: hated spoilers and loved touching little kids. Coincidence? You decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm the same way I actually love spoilers and they make me want to watch/play things even more. At the very least I can't imagine saying "Well, what's even the point in watching Star Wars anymore, I already know Darth Vader is Luke's father!"

So Gull Force seems like the best way to get credits at Calm Skies but it's irritating because to get a payout worth anything you have to get to at least 2-3 where you're relying on a ton of luck to pass, I can occasionally beat 2-4 but it's pretty frustrating when I don't. Haven't had much luck finding Mounted Assault from the Chocobo Ranch either, I know it's not great or anything but it still would be nice.

It's only now I realize that a trophy for getting every Garment Grid would be hell.

I dislike spoilers because they impact how I view something on my first experience. Regardless of "the journey is the point," that journey is changed if you have a road map beforehand. In particular with Bravely Default knowing your fairy companion is evil the entire time absolutely changes how you view certain scenes. It isn't that knowing Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father ruins things, it is knowing that beforehand makes the gradual buildup come across differently. The emotional investment of surprise and subverted expectations is something that is lost.

It's also, frankly, just kind of a dick move to go "I don't care about spoilers so gently caress you" because if you don't care about spoilers there is nothing hurting your experience by looking them up, but if someone else does then spoiling it for them does hurt their experience.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 27, 2015