Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

horsehoe theory of giving a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

infernal machines posted:

remember when people were unironically sharing kernel hacks that replaced the boot animation via this handy little utility you run that disables kernel signing and helpfully injects code into the kernel for you?

that was hilarious, especially when they got real loving butthurt over being called out as idiots

hey at least they looked cool while doing it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

in my day, all the cool kids' pcs started up with a windows xp pirated edition boot screen from wincustomize

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

in my day, all the cool kids' pcs started up with a windows xp pirated edition boot screen from wincustomize

im having flashbacks to all idiots with "custom" windows xp installations with "improved performance"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

TjyvTompa posted:

i must ask, do you seriously think that i wrote this software and try to shill it on yospos of all forums?
it is a free software created by the guys that made Start10 or something, they gave it away for free to help people with the privacy setting when windows 10 was first released, it was obviously used as advertisement for their other products, which cost money

if you go back and read my post that caused all this fuzz i only said that there is a program you can use to enable/disable the different settings that microsoft hid behind registry entries/GPOs
all I wanted to do was to remind people of this piece of software, that you don't even have to install, that makes it easy to disable small stuff, like cortana, instead some people thought they would dunk on a non-regular (lol) calling it crapware, all i wanted to do was to remind people that this software exists

i read yospos daily, i read it for years, i find many people here are extremely knowledgeable and it is interesting to read what they write, then there are those that are here only to bask in the shine of others, this irritates me because i read threads with interesting info but i have to wade through posts that are nothing but "laffo" or stories about the squalor that they live in (seriously?)
i find it detrimental to such a great place that this actually is, for example i asked some work related questions in the bitcoin thread and got awesome responses, it really helped me in my work, as have many other great posts on this forum

im not going to post regarding this any more, i understand that my comments regarding the software "O&O ShutUp10" were unwanted and that it caused a derail that wasn't my intention

nice meltdown et.c.

lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im having flashbacks to all idiots with "custom" windows xp installations with "improved performance"

I ran gamerXP for way too long

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

i must ask, do you seriously think that i wrote this software and try to shill it on yospos of all forums?
it is a free software created by the guys that made Start10 or something, they gave it away for free to help people with the privacy setting when windows 10 was first released, it was obviously used as advertisement for their other products, which cost money

if you go back and read my post that caused all this fuzz i only said that there is a program you can use to enable/disable the different settings that microsoft hid behind registry entries/GPOs
all I wanted to do was to remind people of this piece of software, that you don't even have to install, that makes it easy to disable small stuff, like cortana, instead some people thought they would dunk on a non-regular (lol) calling it crapware, all i wanted to do was to remind people that this software exists

i read yospos daily, i read it for years, i find many people here are extremely knowledgeable and it is interesting to read what they write, then there are those that are here only to bask in the shine of others, this irritates me because i read threads with interesting info but i have to wade through posts that are nothing but "laffo" or stories about the squalor that they live in (seriously?)
i find it detrimental to such a great place that this actually is, for example i asked some work related questions in the bitcoin thread and got awesome responses, it really helped me in my work, as have many other great posts on this forum

im not going to post regarding this any more, i understand that my comments regarding the software "O&O ShutUp10" were unwanted and that it caused a derail that wasn't my intention

nice meltdown et.c.

:trumppop:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my install is mad slipstreamed, it's wicked radical

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

my install is mad slipstreamed, it's wicked radical

my favourites will always remain "lightweight distros" with castrated system files that would crash from a faintest breeze or just require you to just install poo poo (or, remember dll downloader sites?) manually

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
this is the most yospos poo poo we’ve had in a while

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

this is the most yospos poo poo we’ve had in a while

quote:

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my favourites will always remain "lightweight distros" with castrated system files that would crash from a faintest breeze or just require you to just install poo poo (or, remember dll downloader sites?) manually

I recall lots and lots of games in the xp era going "hi this dll do you have it because I didn't bring my own"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh! custom config.sys is evolving!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I had a 6200 le I needed all the performance I could get alright

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Skype for Business on macOS? The updater is the least of your worries.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

Skype for Business is now Microsoft Teams!

(gently caress off, you can't use Skype in o365 any more and we don't care if you were in the middle of a conversation with someone yesterday, we're taking SFB away from you right now)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

Don't speak about your mother's bedroom like that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

when i lived in japan way back when (this was like 2006-2007 somewhere) i consulted for a company whose owner i was teaching english, because a really stupid amount of stuff he had to work with (especially in terms of documentation) was english-only. among them was the official software used to generate windows xp embedded images, only in english and really not good "english isn't my first language" material. i told him about nlite; he couldn't use it for company purposes because it wasn't a formal supported-by-microsoft thing, but we discovered when you ran nlite on a japanese pc it would display everything bilingually, and well-translated into japanese at that. so he used nlite as a sort of english-to-japanese translator so he would know exactly what the xp embedded image creator's settings did

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that owns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

i have a build of win 10 home w/creators update for testing. it will not stop reinstalling the f2p shitware games that come pre-loaded. no matter how many times i right-click and chose uninstall, they're right back after the next reboot.

it's great that i no longer have to download some shady bullshit off the internet to wind up with persistent adware that i can never remove.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
let them install, give it a day or so, then uninstall them and see if they come back

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/232707991533666304

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
cool its pissflops

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

man my back teeth are floating point

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he tweets about making beefy melts sometimes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/907466021065371648

real talk: The person who made powershell should have been tarred and feathered

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

this is a bad opinion

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

this is a bad opinion

the person awarded in this case otoh seems good https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Tour_Chayes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

@BoiledWater are you a non-technical fellow or a child? it could be a good fit for you.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

orange sky posted:

this is a bad opinion

no. powershell is dogshit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

powershell powerowns

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
PowerShell is bad. Other shells are far worse.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Fiedler posted:

PowerShell is bad. Other shells are far worse.

exactly. and it's only better than other shells because it doesn't run scripts :newlol:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i dont use powershell everyday but i have to admit i dont understand the powershell type system. especially when pipes and functions are involved. i just mash until i get something that works.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you want to interactively run commands then use a shell
if you want to automate a task then use a programming language

if you try to converge the two you're going to get something that is poo poo at both but then this is the same company that gave us metro

windows does need a shell that isn't a 30 year old fossilized turd like cmd.exe but one thing that shell definitely does not need is a type system

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

Powershell is cool and good.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

powershell good. types good. parsing strings all day in bash is hot garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

univbee posted:

@BoiledWater are you a non-technical fellow or a child? it could be a good fit for you.

I wish I could be a child again that would be amazing.

• Locked thread