Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can/should hit the carb with a brass brush, right?

e: pictures for the curious

after hitting it with carb cleaner + toothbrush

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A brass brush is fine.

Judging by your starting conditions and what you've ended up with, chances are high the pilot jet is still hopelessly clogged. Immersing it in a vicious solvent overnight, then compressed air and maybe a strand of copper wire as well (although being a moped carb the hole could be so small as to make that impossible) usually does the job. If the emulsion tube (long brass cylinder the main jet screws into) has any holes on it they need to be clear, and the inside surface needs to be clear as well because the gap between that and the needle are what controls part-throttle fuelling.

Also have a good look at the float valve, from here it looks like the rubber tip has a step in it, probably not a deal breaker but I usually replace them anyway just to be sure.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright, cool. I'll soak the pilot in carb cleaner overnight and try tomorrow. I should have a replacement jet on hand if push comes to shove, though.

Also, just a quick another one, for this I should be able to just hit it with a heatgun and use a dremel to get a slot into the air screw, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bet is that’s a cap and there is a regular air screw underneath it.

Get the glue off it and just grab it with a pair of pliers is my thought

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm thinking that's actually a D-shaped pilot screw and not just a cap. If you do end up molesting it to get it out, it'll be easy to find a normal slotted type as they're fairly generic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Apparently there's a Kawasaki part that fits, but the forums are unreliable as hell.

I might just not touch it and try to start it tomorrow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oil change question. My Super Tenere has oil and filter intervals of 12000 miles. I haven't ridden the bike more than 1000 miles since the 12000 mile oil change, but that change was 2 years ago. The oil looks clean, and there's plenty of it. Should I not worry about time based oil degredation and stick to the schedule (and also just ride this bike more)? I'm looking at taking an 800 mile trip this weekend, so that's why I'm thinking about it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If a friend were to buy non-DOT tires, such as the Michelin City Pro as seen here, there's like zero chance of actually getting popped or getting on someone's radar, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oil change question. My Super Tenere has oil and filter intervals of 12000 miles. I haven't ridden the bike more than 1000 miles since the 12000 mile oil change, but that change was 2 years ago. The oil looks clean, and there's plenty of it. Should I not worry about time based oil degredation and stick to the schedule (and also just ride this bike more)? I'm looking at taking an 800 mile trip this weekend, so that's why I'm thinking about it.

You should've changed the oil about a year ago.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Slavvy posted:

You should've changed the oil about a year ago.

Yes. However, with synthetic oil, garage storage, and few miles, what sort of time based degredation can we expect to see?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
unless if you can do spectrum analysis, it's a huge question mark. it's probably not the worst, not the best; however, it's extremely unlikely that it's going to lead directly to a failure on your upcoming 800 mile trip.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

If a friend were to buy non-DOT tires, such as the Michelin City Pro as seen here, there's like zero chance of actually getting popped or getting on someone's radar, right?

Correct. My RV90 runs non-dot ATV tires and I’ve never gotten so much as a question about them

I would believe those tires you linked are perfectly dot legal, no cop on earth would question that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
cops almost certainly wouldn't know non-DOT motorcycle tires at a glance. many probably don't even know they exist. and those ones look exactly like any other street tire.

as long as it isn't a car with drag slicks no one in america is paying attention

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everything that I've seen online from looking around has fallen into two categories:

1. Park police in national parks getting on people's case over non-DOT knobby tires on supermotos
2. Forum posts from 2003 about driving their pony cars with drag slicks on the street

Thanks for the sanity check.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think my biggest concern with non-DOT tires on the road on a motorcycle would be wearing out special purpose rubber too fast and wasting money.

On a moped,

Sagebrush posted:

cops almost certainly wouldn't know non-DOT motorcycle tires at a glance. many probably don't even know they exist.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes. However, with synthetic oil, garage storage, and few miles, what sort of time based degredation can we expect to see?

It’s oil. It’s cheap. Change your oil.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys typically change your filter with the oil? I’m just curious. My filter is like ten bucks so it’s a no brainer even if it’s way early for its rated life.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just follow the service manual. For my bikes it's filters every second change.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Do you guys typically change your filter with the oil? I’m just curious. My filter is like ten bucks so it’s a no brainer even if it’s way early for its rated life.

yeah. it’s cheap, so why not

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I change the filter and oil in my bike and car once a year each because neither get enough millage in a year to trigger their millage due intervals.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Always yeah. Some bikes only tell you to do it every second change but it takes thirty seconds and they're ten bucks so why not.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oil and filters are cheaper than a rebuild.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KTM: why not both?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

KTM: why not both?

You would think greater number of filters = greater engine longevity but the ratio seems to go the other way...

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

KLR burns enough oil that I just keep adding more and it’s basically constantly fresh.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

RadioPassive posted:

KLR burns enough oil that I just keep adding more and it’s basically constantly fresh.

You never have to change oil!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Oil filter every change, the pain in the rear end part isn't the expense of the filter, it's just the general process.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I've always found the arguments for yearly oil changes, no matter the mileage, dubious. 'Acids' eating away at your engine sounds a lot like Toxins. Of course moisture will build up depending on where it's stored, but wouldn't that happen in less than a year anyway?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

Filters are cheap and changing it is very low effort on my current bike so yeah.

Last one I had it was a real mission to get to so I'd only do the filter every other oil change.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Oil filter every change, the pain in the rear end part isn't the expense of the filter, it's just the general process.

I made a good attempt at covering headers with aluminum foil but the oil still found a way to leak onto the pipes :mad:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

I made a good attempt at covering headers with aluminum foil but the oil still found a way to leak onto the pipes :mad:

I'm curious how you managed this when the oil filter and drain are way off to the left of the pipes on the ninja 400 (unless you have a second bike I've managed to forget about)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm on a 650 not 400. The filter is right smack dab above where the two header pipes merge and go horizontal :(

e: Not my photo or even my year but close enough:

That's real fun area to work on after you're supposed to have ridden the bike a little to get the oil thin and hot...

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 7, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:lol: that looks like a piece of piss compared to what I used to have to work with:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 7, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, there’s a world of separation between “oh i got a little oil on my headers, how annoying” and “I disassembled half my bike to change the oil filter” :lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who is responsible for that designcrime?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That looks like a Kawasaki to me

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love placements like that, because you normally do the oil with the engine hot. That makes for a fun time reaching in there to twist the filter.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It is Kawasaki, yes, '90 vintage. Even better is that the oil filter is perfectly sandwiched between the coolant hoses on the left and an external oil pipe on the right, so once you do have it loose you can't just pull it out sideways but instead have to tumble it forwards/down/sideways getting oil literally everywhere in the process.

I miss riding that bike but by god I do not miss working on it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've always found this oil filter placement to be interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

...is the crank case painted red as a joke by Honda?