Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Baller Ina posted:

Just watched the SUSD review of Inis and I'm struggling with my credit card. Is this game as good as they make it sound? Even just the "Kemet with less rules" part is a massive plus for me.

It has a lot of hype. Play before purchasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Brought pandemic legacy out to game night. Also brought out eminent domain and 4 gods
But literally only pandemic got played everyone enjoyed it that much
I hadn't realized none of the other 3 had played vanilla pandemic, getting gaming groups mixed up, but holy poo poo. Smash hit
Got through April. gently caress red. Every game that gave us more trouble then any other disease.
Won't go into any spoilers but i have 0 regret buying that game even when i permanently change the board or rip things up

Next time going to play another month or 2, of pandemic legacy, and try to work in some other games.
I'm debating on picking up pandemic cthulhu mentioned earlier.
Really I'm looking to grab anything i think the group will like. Co-op is basically a must or at least not directly confrontational. Hoping i can get viticulture to the table

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Humble Bundle sent me an email with this earlier today but the link is a 404 and the promised bundle is nowhere to be found :(

Probably someone hit the switch to send the email too soon and it'll be up when the rifftrax mobile bundle is over, but I was excited to make all my friends get Galaxy Trucker.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Brought pandemic legacy out to game night. Also brought out eminent domain and 4 gods

Hey, my group broke out Pandemic Legacy for the first time this weekend too!

In set up, three cubes on a city in red, two cubes on a city next door. Epidemic in the first player draw. 4 outbreaks in the first two turns. We lose to outbreaks 6 turns in. A couple cities in Asia are at panic levels 2-3 already.

I understand that the game will self-correct eventually, but having the game actively poo poo on us for the first game is a really significant feel-bad. Right now I can honestly say I have zero desire to replay January. :geno:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Boxman posted:

Hey, my group broke out Pandemic Legacy for the first time this weekend too!

In set up, three cubes on a city in red, two cubes on a city next door. Epidemic in the first player draw. 4 outbreaks in the first two turns. We lose to outbreaks 6 turns in. A couple cities in Asia are at panic levels 2-3 already.

I understand that the game will self-correct eventually, but having the game actively poo poo on us for the first game is a really significant feel-bad. Right now I can honestly say I have zero desire to replay January. :geno:

We got stomped hard core March same sort of thing. All 3 starting 3 cubes were red. We rushed there only to have chain outbreaks scar us heavily. Fled then promptly lost on the 3rd epidemic to chain explosions

Did not know to try the month over but drat.
Some times this games hates you but we all enjoyed it

Keep with it, game is really fun and gets more and more intense!!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For all prospective playtesters, PMs have been sent out! If you wanted a playtest pack and didn't get one, hit me up, please.

If you already received one, there has been an update to the manual and to the PNP files. The PNP file update is extremely minor (a warning over inject_VIRUS directing users not to attempt it without a target), so there's no need to print them out again if you have already gone through the trouble. The manual update changes some of the codewords ("return true;" and "return false;" are now respectively "CONTINUE;" and "USER TERMINATED;") while clarifying some other things like dropped connections, what to do if somebody tries something illegal (they instantly flatline), and so on.

The updated manual has today's date on it.

silvergoose posted:

Honestly that language sentence sounds really cool, yeah. Sounds like you'd need a lot of sentences with shared words or it wouldn't have much replay value. How were you going to handle setup?

It's ludicrously simple. Players get cards with a word on one side and a part of speech on the other. There are only 9 words per part of speech. There are also cheat sheets with the whole game's vocabulary on them. The actual catch of the game is that you're not allowed to say your own word until somebody else says it first.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

theroachman posted:

E: oh wait, I lie. I also have Blood Rage sitting on my shelf unplayed. :homebrew:

I have Runewars, Kemet, Starcraft, Blood Rage, and now Inis sitting on shelves. :shepspends:

I think I may have a problem, but at least each one fills a different dudes on a map niche/itch. That, and they occasionally see play.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I really love Kemet but its the kind of game you cant just play once and have fun because you'll be busy learning all the power stuff. That's why Inis interests me as something to scratch the area control with some combat itch but with a lot less rules to digest on your first sitting. Play before you guy is most likely not an option for me so I'll keep an ear to the ground for any reviews and got from there.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

It's ludicrously simple. Players get cards with a word on one side and a part of speech on the other. There are only 9 words per part of speech. There are also cheat sheets with the whole game's vocabulary on them. The actual catch of the game is that you're not allowed to say your own word until somebody else says it first.

I was wondering how you ensured the sentences are gramatically correct, and the simplest way (without requiring an external checker) seems to have the game only use one sentence structure. Is that how you did it?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 7, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

With all this buzz around Inis, can anyone say a few words about Cyclades? I vaguely recall some issues with how passive the game was or how it encourages turtling or something, but I dunno if the expansions fixed that.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

With all this buzz around Inis, can anyone say a few words about Cyclades? I vaguely recall some issues with how passive the game was or how it encourages turtling or something, but I dunno if the expansions fixed that.

The win condition in Cyclades is to have 2 cities. It is fairly easy to get 1 city. Early game is more about resource gathering and set up, with lower stakes more conservative bidding on the god tracks. Once two cities are on the board however, the game transforms into a dynamic where everybody is very carefully trying to work out if there are any potential moves that somebody could take in order to win, then trying to deny those moves to the opponent. Generally, direct winning moves are easy enough to spot that a player can only take them if they have enough money to outbid everybody else at the table, and the other players can't work out a way to disrupt the action. As more and more cities are built however (and players without a city will still want to build a city, as otherwise they are effectively out of contention) it becomes harder and harder for players to prevent all possible winning moves, and particularly good play will give a player multiple potential moves that lead to victory.

Often the player who was winning early in the game will not end up winning, because they will have had to deal with coordinated efforts against their victory for longer, with attritional effects. A player can turtle on an island all game, then swoop in to claim a city from somebody who spent 5 turns on the brink of victory. Some players can find this infuriating.

I think it's a fun, tense bidding game, and the victory conditions help to build that tension. I can see why people could end up really disliking it.

NB. The Titan expansion makes the game more about land combat, and gives multiple ways to make troops move, some of which can't be waylaid by the bidding. They probably make it more likely that the player who did the best at early game resource gathering will convert it into a victory.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Has anyone here played Labyrinth: War on Terror? How does it stack up against Twilight Struggle?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kitchner posted:

Has anyone here played Labyrinth: War on Terror? How does it stack up against Twilight Struggle?
I personally dislike Labyrinth: Mechanically and politically. It is no where near as good as Twilight Struggle although it attempts to emulate it.

Mechanically it is weaker than Twilight Struggle because it overuses dice, and forces the use of dice on some critical actions. One side has to dice for pretty much everything, the other side has to dice for its most important action and one of the few ways in which it achieves its winning condition.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

I personally dislike Labyrinth: Mechanically and politically. It is no where near as good as Twilight Struggle although it attempts to emulate it.

Mechanically it is weaker than Twilight Struggle because it overuses dice, and forces the use of dice on some critical actions. One side has to dice for pretty much everything, the other side has to dice for its most important action and one of the few ways in which it achieves its winning condition.

I mean the realignment rolls and coup rolls can really gently caress you over in Twilight struggle sometimes, is it even worse than that?

From what I've read I got that the terrorists use dice more but it sort of implied its made up for the fact the terrorists take more actions so it sort of all averages out.

I wondering about whether to get it for Christmas or not, as one of my friends is eventually going to get bored of me crushing him as the USSR.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

Just watched the SUSD review of Inis and I'm struggling with my credit card. Is this game as good as they make it sound? Even just the "Kemet with less rules" part is a massive plus for me.

I've played it a couple of times and it's really good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I mean the realignment rolls and coup rolls can really gently caress you over in Twilight struggle sometimes, is it even worse than that?

From what I've read I got that the terrorists use dice more but it sort of implied its made up for the fact the terrorists take more actions so it sort of all averages out.

I wondering about whether to get it for Christmas or not, as one of my friends is eventually going to get bored of me crushing him as the USSR.
Alright so the terrorists roll for everything except in a few situations: they roll to move, they roll to recruit, they roll to do naughty stuff etc. The US only rolls when they want to change the governance level to stable, but they always need to roll in order to do this and this is their victory condition. So if you gently caress up that roll you potentially lose the window for making your country stable. Too bad for rolling badly.

Some of the actions available to the terrorists are also outright bad to do, while others do pretty much the same thing and are almost impossible for the US to defuse.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's more of an experiment with some neat mechanics, some of which we already saw reimplemented and some I wish for to see again, as a whole it doesn't really gel together. The politics behind the game are questionable at best - I'm not even talking about what worldview it represents (to each their own), but simply put, what the mechanics represent doesn't really make much sense. It also has the misfortune of being printed a few months before Arab Spring and Wikileaks, thus making even less sense.

If you want more of Twilight Struggle, I'd rather look at 1989 (even if I'm rather lukewarm on it myself).

Kitchner posted:

Ha ha ha, you have no idea. Imagine each time US played a scoring card they rolled dice to immediately gain or lose 10 points, with the only modifiers being continents dominated by each player. That's kinda how it feels like.

(Unlike Tekopo, I don't mind the myriad of Jihadi rolls that much - the maths on them are rather clear and you certainly can play conservatively with the odds - optimal play does lead to dumb political implications, though)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

they roll to recruit

Always recuit in a caliphate, fool!

...If you play Labyrinth again for some reason.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The winning strategy is to play as many plots as humanly possible as well, because the US is never gonna have enough 3 Ops card to ever take care of them, and plots do too much, including increasing funding, setting governance level lower, harming prestige and so on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Purchased, punched, and played my first solo game of Feast for Odin over the weekend.

(for any goons in Ottawa, Fandom II might still have a couple copies left)

I, uh...didn't do so well. I overestimated the need to get the bonuses, and underestimated the importance of covering up the negative points.

Ended up with 73 points!

Minus 67 points!

But, uh, hey, at least I came out with a positive score?

This game is maximum Rosenberg, from the absurd number of tiles, the three booklets (including the almanac which justifies everything in the game according to the theme), worker placement up the butt, and 12-phase rounds, one of which is of course harvesting.

It's pretty cool! My biggest gripe with it is the pillaging/raiding result - not the dice rolling, that's fine. It's the fact that you can choose what reward you get, which, similar to Caverna's adventuring mechanic, can mean potentially waiting for the one indecisive player to choose if he wants the big blue reward, or maybe a smaller, more manageable tile, or perhaps one of the grey special tiles, maybe one of those would fit better...

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Shame about Labyrinth. It looked interesting. Oh well, time to go back to thinking about Christmas presents.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Shame about Labyrinth. It looked interesting. Oh well, time to go back to thinking about Christmas presents.
I'd have a look into 1989: it has issues of its own but doesn't have the glaring problems that Labyrinth has.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

I'd have a look into 1989: it has issues of its own but doesn't have the glaring problems that Labyrinth has.

I was just reading up on that but I think if I was going to get a game like Twilight Struggle but isn't Twilight Struggle it would need to be set outside of the Cold War.

Problem I've got with my board game collection now is I think I've got a lot of "easy wins" where I've picked up games that are almost universally considered to be good games that suit my picky tastes so now I'm struggling to find games that really jump out at me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Broken Loose posted:

Stall*Mart, a game about a man going to the store and buying groceries. 1 player is playing the man and attempting to enter the store, buy groceries, and leave. 1 player is playing the groceries, which populate the store shelves and are attempting to be purchased or stolen. 1 player is playing the store, which is trying to remain open until they make a specific amount of money. 1 player is playing the employees, a group of worker pawns who are trying to close the store so they can go home. Finally, 1 player is playing traffic, as a concept, and their goal is to completely halt all game actions for an entire round.

This sounds amazing, and I would probably fund this kickstarter. My gaming group is always on the lookout for games that will turn us into vicious, mortal enemies for about 2 hours at a time.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

GrandpaPants posted:

Cyclades is one of my favourite games and I can go on about it forever.

I've heard the complaints about turtling and I don't quite understand them. By default you start with two islands and the only way to lose one is to have someone take it from you directly by moving soldiers onto it. After you go down to only one island then you could turtle by taking Apollo and grabbing your four gold a turn + cornucopias and perhaps horde up for a win, but that's relying on a ton of things working out JUST RIGHT not including: A) other players doing nothing before and during the turtling to make their own win conditions appear B) seeing what you're doing and just ignoring your plans and C) them being dumb enough to knock you down to one island without having a drat good reason to do so (ie. taking valuable buildings needed to build a second metropolis ASAP).

Also, you cannot win with only one island too, you need another for your second metropolis (unless you use the hero Amazon queen's secret metropolis ability from the expansion but that's a whole other thing) so this means not only planning on Poseidon and/or Ares showing up at the right time and in the right turn order spots, and/or you also have to either been fortunate with the monster deck that something like the Pegasus or Sylph is there and that again, your opponents aren't reading this a mile away and haven't protected/blocked you with other monsters (Cyclops, Centaur, Kraken, Siren, Medusa) or bid on a god higher up on the track that gives them priority to buy the stuff that you wanted. And this is only if you're trying to steal a metropolis or buildings from players that have already constructed them in the first place!

Cyclades is so much goddam fun and there are so many ways to win and so many things can go wrong so quickly. I love it.

Plus, the expansions are incredible and are modular so if you like one but not another, swap it out, and if you like a few of them, add them to your mix.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 7, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks for the recommendations on Cyclades. I guess I'll wait for some potential Black Friday type sale to pick it up.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Morpheus posted:

Purchased, punched, and played my first solo game of Feast for Odin over the weekend.

I, uh...didn't do so well. I overestimated the need to get the bonuses, and underestimated the importance of covering up the negative points.

Ended up with 73 points!

Minus 67 points!

This game is maximum Rosenberg, from the absurd number of tiles, the three booklets (including the almanac which justifies everything in the game according to the theme), worker placement up the butt, and 12-phase rounds, one of which is of course harvesting.

It's pretty cool! My biggest gripe with it is the pillaging/raiding result - not the dice rolling, that's fine. It's the fact that you can choose what reward you get, which, similar to Caverna's adventuring mechanic, can mean potentially waiting for the one indecisive player to choose if he wants the big blue reward, or maybe a smaller, more manageable tile, or perhaps one of the grey special tiles, maybe one of those would fit better...

Well, as long as the next player doesn't want to pillaging/raiding/forge, you can just keep going while they struggle with AP. I really enjoyed my first game, but it feels much easier to pull off an emigration strategy than any other one. That's not to say emigration is unbeatable. It didn't even win the game I was in. But the basic idea of
(1) ensure income >= round number
(2) emigrate like mad
(3) get blue goods with any leftover actions
is easier to understand than other overall strategies. The only thing that's obviously off is the game scaling. There's very few allowances for increasing the number of action spaces as the player count increases.

EDIT: I wouldn't say game scaling is that much of an issue. 2-player Valley of the Kings is very different from 4-player VotKs, but I still like that game. It's just that key action spaces will be much more heavily contested as the player count increases.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 7, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Ended up with 73 points!

Minus 67 points!

:argh:
Why is this game sold out everywhere? Does anyone know when there is going to be a reprint? I was hoping to have a copy for Christmas, but that is looking less and less likely.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Morpheus posted:

It's the fact that you can choose what reward you get, which, similar to Caverna's adventuring mechanic, can mean potentially waiting for the one indecisive player to choose if he wants the big blue reward, or maybe a smaller, more manageable tile, or perhaps one of the grey special tiles, maybe one of those would fit better...

At least you only choose ONE thing instead of filling in a shopping list like Caverna. You'd think that would cut down on the hemmmmmmmmm hawwwwwwwwwww hhrrmmmmmmming but then again you'd also think some people would, you know, "plan what they want to do during other people's turns" or "have some basic clue about what they want in the first place", or something :goleft:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 7, 2016

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Can you just let the game keep going in Feast while they pick their reward? We do that in Caverna and it works fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kitchner posted:

I was just reading up on that but I think if I was going to get a game like Twilight Struggle but isn't Twilight Struggle it would need to be set outside of the Cold War.

Problem I've got with my board game collection now is I think I've got a lot of "easy wins" where I've picked up games that are almost universally considered to be good games that suit my picky tastes so now I'm struggling to find games that really jump out at me.

Imperial Struggle - Great Britain vs France 1689-1789 (ish) is coming!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes, you can do that. It's unusual to run into a conflict as a result (like next player wants to forge and would take a unique item the pillager wants) and if it happens it's obvious and you can just wait for the raid/pillage/whatever to resolve.

I'm frustrated that last two games of Feast for Odin had a player who just took foreverrrrrrrrrrr. I had to leave early -- I was sure we could bang out a 3 player game within 3 hours, but what do you know? Only made it to round 6 after three goddamned hours.

I'm absolutely the kind of player who can't comprehend how a turn in e.g. 7 Wonders can possibly take more than 7 seconds at most so my bar is pretty low. I mean, to each their own and that's life, but I like to exercise my brain when playing games and when playing a game is 50%+ idling or spinning my wheels instead of full speed ahead it's unbearable to me.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Can you just let the game keep going in Feast while they pick their reward? We do that in Caverna and it works fine.

That's what we do. It's worked out pretty well, but I guess at very high levels of play you might want to wait.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

CommonShore posted:

Imperial Struggle - Great Britain vs France 1689-1789 (ish) is coming!

This sounds ok but the biggest problem is that as a British person living in London suggesting someone should play as France is pretty much the same as calling someone a bitch in prison

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yes, you can do that. It's unusual to run into a conflict as a result (like next player wants to forge and would take a unique item the pillager wants) and if it happens it's obvious and you can just wait for the raid/pillage/whatever to resolve.

I'm frustrated that last two games of Feast for Odin had a player who just took foreverrrrrrrrrrr. I had to leave early -- I was sure we could bang out a 3 player game within 3 hours, but what do you know? Only made it to round 6 after three goddamned hours.

I'm absolutely the kind of player who can't comprehend how a turn in e.g. 7 Wonders can possibly take more than 7 seconds at most so my bar is pretty low. I mean, to each their own and that's life, but I like to exercise my brain when playing games and when playing a game is 50%+ idling or spinning my wheels instead of full speed ahead it's unbearable to me.

I let out a hearty chuckle when I saw the "30 min/player" runtime on the side of Feast.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So we're gearing up for our yearly post Thanksgiving TI3 game. I recall earlier upthread about removing certain political cards to improve balance. Was this the fix recommended or is there a better one?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-political-chaff

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Morpheus posted:

I let out a hearty chuckle when I saw the "30 min/player" runtime on the side of Feast.

Once people know which actions they care about doing? I can see it being close to that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

So we're gearing up for our yearly post Thanksgiving TI3 game. I recall earlier upthread about removing certain political cards to improve balance. Was this the fix recommended or is there a better one?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-political-chaff

I think you're in the bay area, so if you need 1-2 extra players for TI, I can probably help with that, people who've played before.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Morpheus posted:

My third play was 2.5 hours with 4 people. With teaching. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kitchner posted:

This sounds ok but the biggest problem is that as a British person living in London suggesting someone should play as France is pretty much the same as calling someone a bitch in prison
Nah, that's only people ignorant of actual history. Otherwise there wouldn't anyone in London that would want to play the French in Napoleons triumph with me :v: