Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sillybones posted:

Imagine you threw the tray. The mess hall officer comes and asks you what the problem is, while a few npcs (and maybe some players???) hold back the guy you hit with your space food (and got his clothes dirty (which is permanently there until he gets it cleaned in the laundry bay)) as he tries to hit you. After you go through a bit of discussion with the players and npcs involved maybe it is decided you need to get some counselling with the on board psychologist. But first, you are going to have to clean up that mess with a mop. It is a little mini game style where you need to do a good enough job. All the while the mess hall is heckling you for your stupid outburst and giving you looks. When word of this event spreads through the crew it eventually makes its way to your ship captain. He is pissed! Your whole dynamic reputation falls with most of the ship and only your best npc friends really know what is going on inside your head to make you do such a silly thing in the first place, but even they might not be so willing to go on missions with you.

And this is just one event in a tiny mess hall. In a whole galaxy of stars and planets! Imagine what else you can get up to in game!

:lol:

This is a person who will not understand how SC failed when they had so much money and all that talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TrustmeImLegit posted:

promise me you will do an LP of SQ42 in like 3 years or whatever

I'd sooner nail my balls to the floor, but OK

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

This is a person who will not understand how SC failed when they had so much money and all that talent.

At least all those people will have disposable income again and can just organise a foodfight. Not like it's any less wasteful than their usual monthly down payment on things that don't loving exist.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

starkebn posted:

OldSchoolCmdr is giving them an education they're not willing to take, how long until he is shadow banned?

Well, you called it. They did shadowban him somehow.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This guy really likes boobs it seems.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I'd sooner nail my balls to the floor, but OK

Post a selfie when you have done that please.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I do too

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Your balls are already in your avatar thank you sir.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The advertising/marketing pushes have gotten extremely aggressive in the last year and every article they've purchased in the last 2 years (through David Swoffords reputation management firm)

That reminds me to go see how our old friend and legitimate news site Pixelemonade is doing:

http://www.pixelemonade.com/

No new articles since January 21st. It's almost as if the entire site was created to plant a positive story of something or the other.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do other game developers purchase positive news articles , or is this stuff just supposed to happen organically ?

I fail to see how paying for positive news articles counts as funding development

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Do other game developers purchase positive news articles , or is this stuff just supposed to happen organically ?

I fail to see how paying for positive news articles counts as funding development

Yes, there's almost no accountability for buying AstroTurf attention as long as you do it just right, every large publisher does it

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

Ign is literally a pay for positive website

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Everyone does this. Usually they'll just invite people, sit them down in front of things and have them give their impressions, but there's also the PR release that likes to talk about whatever they want to promote. This is mostly abused in 'citizen journalist' circles or using places like Reddit to create buzz.

Sponsored content is only sponsored if money directly changed hands, etc.

Edit:

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Yes, there's almost no accountability for buying AstroTurf attention as long as you do it just right, every large publisher does it

Same reason that the film industry does it. You want to get as much day one revenue before word spreads, so the hype train is effectively the entire early revenue stream.

CiG attempts to do this with ships. Quite badly.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 15, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I'm legit bummed out we wont get SQ42 this year. It would have been so much fun to watch a major tom LP of it.

The Pusher love scenes are really top notch. I'd tell you more but that'd be spoilers for the game. Let me just say that the cafeteria scene was the best ever.

11/10 would eat food again

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

Sponsored content is only sponsored if money directly changed hands, etc.

You've also got the grey area of link swapping / links for content. I forget to mention this poo poo but I have worked and continue to work with a big games / film site so I get to see most of the stuff that goes on, and it's pretty much not as cloak and dagger as your average Steam poster would have you believe.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

kilus aof posted:

That reminds me to go see how our old friend and legitimate news site Pixelemonade is doing:

No new articles since January 21st. It's almost as if the entire site was created to plant a positive story of something or the other.

/r/StarCitizen: "Star Citizen 3.0 promises revolutionary new features"

222 comments, 257 vote score, many accusations of paid-shill and "ignore the trolls". Good times.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
One of the main reasons Star Citizen will get torn to pieces by the press is that they have no publisher. The very thing that Chris says is the bestest thing ever will be the thing that gives the press free reign. If and when any pressure is applied to gaming sites it's from the publisher, so give game A a bad review and you'll get cut off from press access to game B from that publisher, that stuff can happen. Star Citizen has no bargaining power at all - there is nothing to fear in giving it a brutally honest review.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6bbap3/temporary_boycott_of_cigs_next_concept_sale/

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

peter gabriel posted:

One of the main reasons Star Citizen will get torn to pieces by the press is that they have no publisher. The very thing that Chris says is the bestest thing ever will be the thing that gives the press free reign. If and when any pressure is applied to gaming sites it's from the publisher, so give game A a bad review and you'll get cut off from press access to game B from that publisher, that stuff can happen. Star Citizen has no bargaining power at all - there is nothing to fear in giving it a brutally honest review.

We get to see if the pressure from a mob of idiots airdropping into the comments/e-mails of any negative review is equivalent to a professional publisher.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

You've also got the grey area of link swapping / links for content. I forget to mention this poo poo but I have worked and continue to work with a big games / film site so I get to see most of the stuff that goes on, and it's pretty much not as cloak and dagger as your average Steam poster would have you believe.

Nope. Ad-bidding and contra is pretty much the name of the game now. Comscore is largely gamed; those slideshows that every site loves counts a page view per slide.

peter gabriel posted:

there is nothing to fear in giving it a brutally honest review.

Unless, of course, you're taking money/Ships/Goods for the review...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

kilus aof posted:

pixelemonade was the site that got called out for being a shill because it only had like three articles and they were all about Star Citizen and the dude had a meltdown and copy/pasted a bunch of politics articles from other websites, right? Jesus it's so hard to keep track of all this poo poo anymore...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

Nope. Ad-bidding and contra is pretty much the name of the game now. Comscore is largely gamed; those slideshows that every site loves counts a page view per slide.

Unless, of course, you're taking money/Ships/Goods for the review...

Agreed, I still get multiple emails a month off content creators / link swappers though, there's still a market there, depending on how heavyweight your site is in SEO terms etc.

Reviews can still be bought yes, but I can't recall the last time we saw a dev / publisher outright ask us to positively review something for cash, they usually go down the route of a promoted editorial rather than a straight up fabricated review.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Theory posted:

We get to see if the pressure from a mob of idiots airdropping into the comments/e-mails of any negative review is equivalent to a professional publisher.

Any negative review is clearly the result of evil publishers pressuring the gaming sites.

Like the TOS, the conspiracy theories and denial is air tight.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Quavers posted:

The mystery of CIG's cash reserves: each year they've invested unspent funds in Bitcoin. They now have like, lots of Bitcoins, and are rich. Crobberts is a visionary. Czechmate goons

:icebrno:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Drunk Theory posted:

They're not even reviewing the right company. :smuggo: :sandance:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I feel like we haven't heard anything about imagine whatsit and Gollum and Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson and all that in a long time.

Why don't they talk about that anymore?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Reviews can still be bought yes, but I can't recall the last time we saw a dev / publisher outright ask us to positively review something for cash, they usually go down the route of a promoted editorial rather than a straight up fabricated review.

Amusingly there's been a bit of a sea change that's slightly unfairly tagged to Millenials that has to do with the concept of corporate loyalty. Long story short, the move towards being more mobile with regard to your job means that there's less actual *loyalty* being shown - this has direct impacts on abstracts like 'information security' as people feel that it's their duty to talk about poo poo rather than _not_ talk about poo poo.

It makes the keeping of secrets much harder to hide, specifically where it impacts perceived rear end in a top hat behavior.

edit:

^^^ *extended sad parp that butchered a headline* - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/297622/Andy_Serkisfounded_game_publisher_undergoing_major_restructure.php - Imaginarium in trouble.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 15, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Somebody doesn't understand player-driven MMO economics. But then again, you'd need to have players in your game, so ...

:eyepop: This is like the sickest burn imaginable

after that you're likely to be more 'ashes' than toast

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danknificent posted:

I feel like we haven't heard anything about imagine whatsit and Gollum and Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson and all that in a long time.

Because Gollum lost his Imaginarium station after losing a bunch of money. Now he's off to build his own studio with hookers and blackjack.

Also, to whoever asked, reddit gold just gives you the option to give reddit more money. Special Snowflake Status Successful!

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
I'm not a guru physics/game coder but from my experience there is a case to make for uninitialized variables when performance is what you are after. (variables don't have to be chars, ints or floats, they could also be structures and types or in the worst case raw pointers)

Here are two variants of us calculating the first 80 numbers of the fibonacci sequence:

code:
// Initialized Variables
uint64_t x[80] = { 0 };

x[0] = 1;
x[1] = 1;

for (int i = 2; i < 80; i++)
	x[i] = x[i - 1] + x[i - 2];
code:
// Uninitialized Variables
uint64_t x[80];

x[0] = 1;
x[1] = 1;

for (int i = 2; i < 80; i++)
	x[i] = x[i - 1] + x[i - 2];
The variant without initializing x first takes 1.921 seconds while the proper version with the initialized variables takes 2.099 seconds which is roughly a 10% performance loss. (both variants have been run 10E8 times to get large enough runtimes) That of cause is a pretty simple and selfcontained example. In the real world with more complicated code it's much easier to muck up and get nasty bugs by referencing accidentally uninitialized data but when you have to squeeze every millisecond out of an inner loop it's certainly a valid approach. Doesn't mean I don't agree with the rest of criticism, watching the code on bugsmashers or the man Chris "nimble fingers" Roberts himself coding shouldn't fill anyone with confidence in SC.

Here he is working on the famous physics code:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:eyepop: This is like the sickest burn imaginable

after that you're likely to be more 'ashes' than toast

But is it a burn against LoD or Star Citizen?

The answer is both!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

chochmah posted:

Here he is working on the famous physics code:

I will always love this gif.

"Okay, press pagedown. Highlight and delete the parameter for this function, do not replace. And done."

Chris is the master of coding.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Hav posted:

*It's not uncommon to find uninitalized variables in physics code, and a lot of the time they're actually there on purpose.*

:allears:

Part of my job involves maintaining a large, old physics & signal processing codebase written in C, and it really isn't uncommon to see lots of automatic variables left uninitialized at point of declaration for performance reasons.

That said, with the quality of static analysis tools (clang-tidy, ...) and dynamic analysis tools (ASan, MSan, even valgrind) nowadays, it's pretty trivial to find erroneous reads of those uninitialized variables.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because Gollum lost his Imaginarium station after losing a bunch of money. Now he's off to build his own studio with hookers and blackjack.

Serkis only has himself to blame since he donated all the studio time to Roberts since they are pals.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

They spent 63 days shooting at Imaginarium studios and I'm fairly sure somehow hosed it all up.

CIG is the company that paid Illfonic millions over two years to make them a FPS module and then binned it all and started over again when they couldn't get it working.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Colostomy Bag posted:

Serkis only has himself to blame since he donated all the studio time to Roberts since they are pals.

You know what would make it even better. If in a year or so we find out that part of the reason for Imaginarium's issues is that they didn't receive payment for some mocap in the last year.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Serkis was too busy helping to make the greatest game of all time that he sacrificed higher paying gigs and is now in the red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It wasn't Mount Doom or the Ring that did Gollum in. It was the cafeteria.