Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Dmitri-9 posted:

, his company uses the Irish sandwich to evade taxes,

I'm sorry, I haven't heard this phrase before and the first few Google hits are food. From further down on Dutch sandwiches, I've got a bit of an idea. It this what you're talking about? http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/04/28/business/Double-Irish-With-A-Dutch-Sandwich.html

What a lovely page snipe, have this unnecessary dog picture to up the quality.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Inferior Third Season posted:

Here is an update I got from Vanguard this morning:
Even when using the standard dumbass method of equating "stock prices" with "the economy", the U.S. is not doing as well as its global peers.

I'll admit that I really only track performance and read my Vanguard statements when I look to rebalance my portfolio, but this has been a relatively recent development.

While your point isn't wrong, it's just important to note that the Don is actually taking credit for the vestigial end of Obama's tenure and we're kind of at an inflection point now.

It'll be interesting to see the job report on Friday, the previous numbers were not great and the economy shows signs of slowing currently.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

He's also not Jesse Eisenberg. :colbert:

jesus christ they made a movie about that loving website

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't like Zuckerburg because Facebook is complicit in the downfall of modern civilization.

Also because when he claims to support progressive causes, I think he's just telling the left what he thinks they want to hear.

Basically nobody here believes him to be sincere at all because his life is full of cases where he has ham-fistedly tried to suck up to someone (usually governments) to try and get the business advantage he wants. Like when he wanted to get Facebook unbanned in China so he went on a "I love China! It is just so grey and amazing!" trip where he pretended to love jogging through the smog in Tiananmen Square. He did a similarly transparent "we just want to connect people :qq:" media campaign in India when they shut down Facebook's attempt to set up a Facebook-only "free" internet. It's hard to look at his current not-running-for-office tour and not ask "ok,what's he after this time?"

He's also a massive hypocrite. He has a long history of statements which are dismissive of people's desire for privacy and yet he bought out all the houses adjacent his lot so he wouldn't have any neighbors. Facebook has poo poo for harassment controls yet there is an army of employees devoted to policing Zuck's Facebook page, deleting anything other than sufficiently fawning adoration.

Then there's the whole question about whether he would abuse Facebook to support his run. He technically doesn't run the company anymore but he made sure to have is board of directors set up his exit so he retains control.

Edit: I kind of expect him to eventually come out and support a national broadband network of some kind.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I hope he's not going to pay them like that dad and daughters that danced for him that one time.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

Wildwood boardwalk

How do they tell which cars are men and which are women?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Didn't his Indian internet asperations die when his satellite burned up in a failed SpaceX launch?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

You should be endorsing it if you know robots are coming for jobs in mass. It's going to be 100% necessary within our lifetimes. Whole industries will be automated. New jobs won't be created at a fast enough pace to replace the jobs lost.

Hell, fast food restaurants are already experimenting with machines that take your order, make it fresh, and poop it out in a bag on the other side. This poo poo is coming, and it's going to devastate the poor.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vegetable posted:

Rex is not a politician, buddy

No, a politician might actually be able to actually run the state department, I suppose.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

No, a politician might actually be able to actually run the state department, I suppose.

Supposedly Rex is trying, but trump is making it impossible

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

I'll admit that I really only track performance and read my Vanguard statements when I look to rebalance my portfolio, but this has been a relatively recent development.

While your point isn't wrong, it's just important to note that the Don is actually taking credit for the vestigial end of Obama's tenure and we're kind of at an inflection point now.

It'll be interesting to see the job report on Friday, the previous numbers were not great and the economy shows signs of slowing currently.

The same people who said the economy in 2009 belongs to Obama are the first applaud the current economy as a sign of Trumps amazing deal-making and business acumen.

It's intellectual dishonesty, it's cognitive dissonance, it's willful ignorance. World keeps on spinnin'.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boon posted:

I mean, any stock movements over a short-term period have more to do with the mercurial moods of a bunch of coked-out 24-year-old recent Ivy League grads than anything to do with market fundamentals or realistic expectations of macroeconomic policy changes. The president just doesn't have that kind of power over the course of a few months. My point was that Trump is indeed claiming that power, and even by his own faulty metric he fails horribly in comparison to places where Trump is not the head of state when you look at the numbers.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They aren't ruined.

There's tons of great things about the Jersey Shore that aren't beaches that are worth paying $400 a night to see.

Like, including, such as, and.

Everyone can just go to Sandy Hook. A Federal nude beach, what could be more jolly?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Actually, no, politicians don't typically run the state department. Mostly that falls to career civil servants.

Rex is also not one of those.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

The same people who said the economy in 2009 belongs to Obama are the first applaud the current economy as a sign of Trumps amazing deal-making and business acumen.

It's intellectual dishonesty, it's cognitive dissonance, it's willful ignorance. World keeps on spinnin'.

Lack of cognitive dissonance you mean. The average piss baby does not feel discomfort from holding conflicting beliefs.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

Lack of cognitive dissonance you mean. The average piss baby does not feel discomfort from holding conflicting beliefs.

well said

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ignoring everything else about Zuckerberg, he has no empathy. The President needs to have people skills (Trump does, Obama and Bush both did, and Clinton was basically the picture next to charismatic) and Zuckerberg has none. Everything he's done with his life so far are the actions of a man who doesn't understand simple human connection.

He invented Facebook because he couldn't understand simple human hierarchies, the man's a robot.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 3, 2017

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Mike Pence doesn't know what "methinks" is.

To be fair practically nobody does, but it's an archaic expression that should be used about as often as "prithee" and "ywis," i. e., never.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Supposedly Rex is trying, but trump is making it impossible

Trying in what way? He fired a few guys, and a bunch quit, and then he said he had plans to replace them.

Next year.

People asked him if he meant next fiscal year, and he clarified that he means in 2018. That's when he'll start trying to actually hire the people the state department needs.

He was a complete idiot at Exxon too, the guy's probably the perfect Exxon type. Uncreative. Slow moving. Big on top down management.

I don't even need to go into his emails nonsense, because it pertains to climate denial, and that's just the official republican stance these days, so really anyone else they'd put in the state department would be like that. It is funny that he tried to hide it with a fake email though.

Chilichimp posted:

Actually, no, politicians don't typically run the state department. Mostly that falls to career civil servants.

Rex is also not one of those.

Do you think Powell and Rice weren't politicians? They both were at least nominally involved in politics. Albright, Kerry, Clinton are all pretty hard to not call Politicians. Any further back and I gotta google, but a cursory glance shows that most of the past sec states have been political for quite some time.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 3, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

trickybiscuits posted:

Mike Pence doesn't know what "methinks" is.

To be fair practically nobody does, but it's an archaic expression that should be used about as often as "prithee" and "ywis," i. e., never.

"Betwixt," on the other hand, is overdue for a comeback

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Blaming Obama for the economy in '09 and praising Trump for the economy in '17 aren't conflicting thoughts. They both treat the economy as a thing the President has immediate and direct control over without any preceding influence to their current state. It's actually not as hypocritical as it appears, just factually wrong and intellectually dishonest as said before.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Dumb question but is there any expectation on when the Russia investigation would be done? This year? Next?

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

They aren't ruined.

There's tons of great things about the Jersey Shore that aren't beaches that are worth paying $400 a night to see.

Asbury Park is pretty great if you like ruins on your vacations.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

crime fighting hog posted:

Dumb question but is there any expectation on when the Russia investigation would be done? This year? Next?

Judging by the pace of the Nixon investigation, it will take about two years.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I kind of wish Zuck would drop the pretense of running and just put as much money as he possibly can behind real politicians who support his most leftist causes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trying in what way? He fired a few guys, and a bunch quit, and then he said he had plans to replace them.

Next year.

People asked him if he meant next fiscal year, and he clarified that he means in 2018. That's when he'll start trying to actually hire the people the state department needs.

He was a complete idiot at Exxon too, the guy's probably the perfect Exxon type. Uncreative. Slow moving. Big on top down management.

I don't even need to go into his emails nonsense, because it pertains to climate denial, and that's just the official republican stance these days, so really anyone else they'd put in the state department would be like that. It is funny that he tried to hide it with a fake email though.

Do you think Powell and Rice weren't politicians? They both were at least nominally involved in politics. Albright, Kerry, Clinton are all pretty hard to not call Politicians. Any further back and I gotta google, but a cursory glance shows that most of the past sec states have been political for quite some time.

He just got in an angry shouting match with Reince "the Baron Klaus Von" Priebus about his State appointees not being "approved by the White House". He has taken public positions that Trump has contradicted and therefore destroyed in a single tweet.

I'm not saying he's good for this job, but clearly he at least has a plan... that's being derailed by the White House. It's probable Trump has no control over Tillerson and they seem to be in a public wrestling match over foreign policy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its going to drag on for years because every time they turn over a rock they find a field of boulders.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Let's take a moment to appreciate reaching page THX 1138 by imagining what it would be like to live in a dystopian regime where people's emotions are modulated by drugs so they can tolerate their work, and workplace safety regulations are a forgotten relic.

At least we don't have police androids yet.

Oracle posted:

Its going to drag on for years because every time they turn over a rock they find a field of boulders.
It's the perfect defense.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Chilichimp posted:

He just got in an angry shouting match with Reince "the Baron Klaus Von" Priebus about his State appointees not being "approved by the White House". He has taken public positions that Trump has contradicted and therefore destroyed in a single tweet.

I'm not saying he's good for this job, but clearly he at least has a plan... that's being derailed by the White House. It's probable Trump has no control over Tillerson and they seem to be in a public wrestling match over foreign policy.

I understand that, but it wasn't long ago that things like this were the news.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-budget-tillerson-idUSKBN17F1QW

Just because he's complaining now about trump and not hiring fast enough doesn't mean he wasn't complicit before. Nor does it mean he won't be complicit again when the chaos pendulum that Trump is swings back to his way. The government is hemorrhaging career diplomats, and the man says the hiring budget 'isn't sustainable'. I'm gonna remain wary on him, but more power to him when he broken clocks against trump for me, at least.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rice, Powell, and Albright weren't politicians, in that they never actually ran for public office to my knowledge. Each one was a career civil servant. Clinton and Kerry both were politicians, you're correct, but in recent history they're more the exception to the rule.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

jesus christ they made a movie about that loving website
Wait.

Oh. Oh.

Sorry, man. I didn't know you didn't know. :(

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Wait.

Oh. Oh.

Sorry, man. I didn't know you didn't know. :(

I knew, I just still can't believe it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's easily the best thing Sorkin's done since West Wing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I'm guessing Mueller will be fired before Christmas.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

They aren't ruined.

Cape May has some nice restaurants and cool Victorian architecture, if you're into that kinda thing. I'm sure kids will be happy to do that instead of swimming or playing on the beach, and will by no means drive their parents crazy

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TARDISman posted:

It's easily the best thing Sorkin's done since West Wing.

Charlie Wilson's War was good

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I understand that, but it wasn't long ago that things like this were the news.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-budget-tillerson-idUSKBN17F1QW

Just because he's complaining now about trump and not hiring fast enough doesn't mean he wasn't complicit before. Nor does it mean he won't be complicit again when the chaos pendulum that Trump is swings back to his way. The government is hemorrhaging career diplomats, and the man says the hiring budget 'isn't sustainable'. I'm gonna remain wary on him, but more power to him when he broken clocks against trump for me, at least.

I 100% agree not to trust this man. He's proven himself to be inept beyond measure at this role. I'm just saying the evidence is there that he and Trump aren't anywhere near the same page.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Riatsala posted:

I kind of wish Zuck would drop the pretense of running and just put as much money as he possibly can behind real politicians who support his most leftist causes.
I really don't think he's serious about any real leftist causes. I have seen a lot of people posting that he is in favor of single payer but nobody cites anything. I'm also wondering if the reason that he would support single payer is because it would benefit Facebook in that they would not need to pay for employer healthcare plans.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Chilichimp posted:

Rice, Powell, and Albright weren't politicians, in that they never actually ran for public office to my knowledge. Each one was a career civil servant. Clinton and Kerry both were politicians, you're correct, but in recent history they're more the exception to the rule.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I mean, Albright served on some boards of education and did fundraising, but certainly wasn't ever a senator or anything. I still kind of see them as politicians, but I think civil servants are politicians anyways.

Totally agree that it's unusual for legislators to run the office. Lawyers, political scientists, or diplomats seem to be more the norm.

And yeah, Tillerson isn't that either.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think he's serious about any real leftist causes. I have seen a lot of people posting that he is in favor of single payer but nobody cites anything. I'm also wondering if the reason that he would support single payer is because it would benefit Facebook in that they would not need to pay for employer healthcare plans.

I hate zuck, but not having to pay the cost of healthcare for workers is a pretty fantastic reason to support public healthcare. It even comes into play often with the cost of manufacturing complex industrial goods like cars, and how companies in Japan and Germany stacked up against American companies.

Would I rather people support Healthcare because it's the right thing to do? Yes!

Am I going to begrudge CEO's that have selfish reasons for wanting to push it? No way.

Will I vote for those CEO's if they ran for office? No. Well, I mean, I guess if it's between Trump and... I dunno, some hypothetical CEO I can actually stomach.

... I can't think of any off the top of my head though.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

donoteat posted:

Asbury Park is pretty great if you like ruins on your vacations.

Well as a Springsteen fanatic I feel obliged to go there at some point. But maybe not while Drumpf is in office.

• Locked thread