Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Didn't they talk about most of these things except with "But this early in the term, it's because of Obama, not the pissbaby."

EDIT: Dogtax bores me right now

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I have almost never met an engineer that wasn't in some way a horrible person. I'm saying this as a network engineer.

They even poo poo up things that you would think are impossible, like their hobbies. A lot of homebrewers are engineers and they make the loving pastime unfun.

vote for engineers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PhazonLink posted:

and how did the cousin vote?

Or the guy you quoted and his parents?

If they voted Donnie then gently caress them.

Edit : BTW, any highlights from Donnie safespace/ security blanket? Heard he did another one.

They all voted for Hillary and whatever other dems were on their ballot

They're Texas transplants from California

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

btw in regards to coping mechanisms, one way I deal with this poo poo timeline is using a word filter extension, so for instance Trump always appears to me as things like Pissbaby, Agent Orange, Darth Cheeto, Wee Man, etc.

I put in a lot of terms shortly after election day and I've expanded it to other infuriating subjects. alt right = white supremacist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thinking of well-wishing call from Chinese leader! Gave America blessing to live in interesting times! Will make kind wish come true!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/881827378418208768

quote:

A Southern Baptist church choir sang a “Make America Great Again” ode at a rally President Trump spoke at on Saturday. The song, called “Make America Great Again,” was based off Trump’s popular campaign motto that he has continued to use into his presidency.

The choir, from the First Baptist Church in Dallas, performed at the “Celebrate Freedom Rally” Saturday at the Kennedy Center. Lyrics in the song include “Lift the torch of freedom all across the land / Step into the future joining hand in hand.”

Imagine if this was Obama

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Trump sounds like a shady Kickstarter project that keeps giving you vaguely worded updates when in reality he's just seeing how long he can keep the plates spinning to distance himself from you and the fact that he stole your funds and fled to Mexico.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I have almost never met an engineer that wasn't in some way a horrible person. I'm saying this as a network engineer.

They even poo poo up things that you would think are impossible, like their hobbies. A lot of homebrewers are engineers and they make the loving pastime unfun.

vote for engineers

I work with every type of engineer there is.

Mostly cool bros and broettes that appreciate the data I give them. Rest are stuck up assholes who can't possibly be wrong so I do the test 3 more times until they remember their doohickey broke and that's why the data was off.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burn all hedonistic mega churches to the ground.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

I work with every type of engineer there is.

Mostly cool bros and broettes that appreciate the data I give them. Rest are stuck up assholes who can't possibly be wrong so I do the test 3 more times until they remember their doohickey broke and that's why the data was off.

can i move where you live

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Looks like he took all those 25th jibes to heart and decided to switch into "presidential" mode this morning. I give it a few hours before he's back to frothing at the mouth, frothing out of his whatever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zapf Dingbat posted:

can i move where you live

Boise, ID my friend.

Great place if you can handle being surrounded by a giant, red poo poo stain.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Good to see that Dallas area mega-churches continue to be just about the worst things in existence.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Burn all hedonistic mega churches to the ground.

Take solace in knowing that they're all going to burn in the hell that they fear if their belief system shakes out in the end.

Avarice riddled slobs, all of them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Looks like he took all those 25th jibes to heart and decided to switch into "presidential" mode this morning. I give it a few hours before he's back to frothing at the mouth, frothing out of his whatever.

It's interesting to know that the insinuation that he is mentally impaired outrages him. I think he knows.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Here is an update I got from Vanguard this morning:

quote:

After underperforming U.S. stocks in recent years, European stocks have outperformed recently. The FTSE Developed Europe All Cap Index was up more than 16% from the beginning of the year through June 23. This rise is despite significant political and economic headwinds during the period, including the United Kingdom entering negotiations to exit the European Union and continuing weakness in the European banking sector. That figure was well ahead of the roughly 9.6% increase for U.S. stocks over the same period, as measured by the CRSP US Total Market Index.
Even when using the standard dumbass method of equating "stock prices" with "the economy", the U.S. is not doing as well as its global peers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Trump sounds like a shady Kickstarter project that keeps giving you vaguely worded updates when in reality he's just seeing how long he can keep the plates spinning to distance himself from you and the fact that he stole your funds and fled to Mexico.

StarAmerican Citizen

TBF, there's a lot of cross over in both a backer for Star Citizen and a Trump supporter. If there was a Venn diagram, it would be a near circle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Young Freud posted:

StarAmerican Citizen

TBF, there's a lot of cross over in both a backer for Star Citizen and a Trump supporter. If there was a Venn diagram, it would be a near circle.

I want to see a third circle superimposed on that showing the number of people who buy gold coins from Fox News commercials.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Inferior Third Season posted:

Here is an update I got from Vanguard this morning:
Even when using the standard dumbass method of equating "stock prices" with "the economy", the U.S. is not doing as well as its global peers.

I guess he's ringing Macron and Merkel for advice then...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: Imagine if this was Obama

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I guess he's ringing Macron and Merkel for advice then...

"Hey Angie, it's Donald. Listen, I'm planning out my trip to Hamburg -- great city, Hamburg, one of the best -- and I'm wondering what good restaurant I should book out that can serve me a real, genuine Hamburger. I like it well-done.

Yes, I'll hold."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time Zuckerberg is mentioned here there's a huge amount of vitriol against him, like he personally killed every single dog that gets posted in this thread or whatever.

Like, why do you guys hate him so much?

For the record, I think that him running for president would be disastrous on the count of him having no political experience. If he were to run for some other lower office, I could support that, assuming he makes it clear what his political views are and I agree with them. I don't think he's really made his political views known though, so I can't judge him on that. So I just don't understand how people here are so adamant that he'd be the second coming of Trump. I wouldn't support him today, but I could possibly see myself supporting him if the conditions were right, that's all I'm saying. I'm genuinely curious for an explanation other than "lol he's a nerd" and "gently caress Facebook."

He greenlit unethical experiments on his userbase, he is in bed with the NSA, his company uses the Irish sandwich to evade taxes, Facebook censors critics of despotic regimes, he is ground zero for the open borders low wages movement, he bought all of the properties surrounding his house so the great unwashed wouldn't be able to sneak a peek and tried to revoke native Hawaiians property rights.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

lol if you don't know about multiple OBAMASONG :freep: "scandals."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQdgJ59Ik8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCGNutN4L_4

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, peoples' vacations have been totally ruined, and that fat rear end in a top hat is quite literally rubbing their faces in it. I'm really kinda hoping an angry drunken mob forms.

They aren't ruined.

There's tons of great things about the Jersey Shore that aren't beaches that are worth paying $400 a night to see.

Like, including, such as, and.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dmitri-9 posted:

He greenlit unethical experiments on his userbase, he is in bed with the NSA, his company uses the Irish sandwich to evade taxes, Facebook censors critics of despotic regimes, he is ground zero for the open borders low wages movement, he bought all of the properties surrounding his house so the great unwashed wouldn't be able to sneak a peek and tried to revoke native Hawaiians property rights.
He's also not Jesse Eisenberg. :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Spaced God posted:

I dunno if this is legit or Alt White House Staffer levels of masturbatory fanfic (I'm sure I'll be dunked on if it's the latter) but
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/881706240484790272

Jon Cooper is a Democratic Party organizer and fundraiser. He posts fan-fic about Trump all the time and probably doesn't have White House sources.

He's kind of funny, but usually has no specific insight.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You mean if that was a mosque's choir?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They aren't ruined.

There's tons of great things about the Jersey Shore that aren't beaches that are worth paying $400 a night to see.

I hear the skee ball is pretty good. Avoid Atlantic City unless you have a gambling problem.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Zapf Dingbat posted:

vote for engineers

You're not an actual engineer, you're a technician. So you're safe from being horrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time Zuckerberg is mentioned here there's a huge amount of vitriol against him, like he personally killed every single dog that gets posted in this thread or whatever.

Like, why do you guys hate him so much?

For the record, I think that him running for president would be disastrous on the count of him having no political experience. If he were to run for some other lower office, I could support that, assuming he makes it clear what his political views are and I agree with them. I don't think he's really made his political views known though, so I can't judge him on that. So I just don't understand how people here are so adamant that he'd be the second coming of Trump. I wouldn't support him today, but I could possibly see myself supporting him if the conditions were right, that's all I'm saying. I'm genuinely curious for an explanation other than "lol he's a nerd" and "gently caress Facebook."

In a way, I don't really see any issue with having a youngish "tech nerd" in office. I actually think that that might be better for the country, if anything a change of pace. All of our politicians come from basically the same walk of life: wealthy family, lawyer, business school, military, etc.

At the end of the day, Zuckerberg is/was a software engineer so I've got to assume that he possesses some level of knowledge. Good software engineers are essentially problem solvers: they know how to break down programs into manageable components, they know how to look for help and how to ask the right questions, and if their ego isn't big they know how/when to defer to others for help.

I could totally see a president who used to be a former engineer or scientist working in a much better capacity than the useless lawyers our political system is full of right now. I would more easily and readily trust an engineer to surround himself with good advisors than Lawyer #74764. I'm not saying engineers don't make mistakes, but I just have a bias that engineers would listen more. So no, Zuckerberg or Joe Schmoe Engineer wouldn't have military experience, or international trade experience, etc., but I'd be 100% more confident that they could appoint a good cabinet to manage the the fine details.

People don't like Zuckerburg because they have a hatred of the entire "techbro" demographic and perceive him as the embodiment of that.

Plus his background, (rich businessman with no political experience buying his way into a primary run) is similar to Trump's.

Zuck has only 5 publicly-stated political beliefs and half of them are not really fleshed out.

1) Pro-immigration reform and amnesty
2) Pro-Paris Accords, subsidies for renewable energy, and "doing something" on climate change.
3) Universal Basic Income is an interesting concept and something we may have to do. Not endorsing it, but the robots are going to take jobs and we shouldn't try to stop the robots because it will be inevitable. We should instead do something to prepare and take care of those displaced by robots.
4) Pro-Planned Parenthood receiving federal funding
5) Pro-Marriage Equality

None of those are "bad" positions for the Left, but he has no real bona-fides and (mostly internet leftists; normal people don't think about Zuckerburg) percieve him as a "techbro" and dislike him on that basis.

I don't think he should run, but the hatred for him is out of proportion.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

3) Universal Basic Income is an interesting concept and something we may have to do. Not endorsing it, but the robots are going to take jobs and we shouldn't try to stop the robots because it will be inevitable. We should instead do something to prepare and take care of those displaced by robots.

There's actually a very interesting experiment happening in Finland, where a selected group of citizens are receiving something called "Universal Basic Income" http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-a7724081.html

Edit:
I only know of what I've read on the news portals, although maybe any Finish goons could shed some more light if this is actually working or not.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

I don't think he should run, but the hatred for him is out of proportion.

Except for all that stuff Dmitri-9 just listed right

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

People don't like Zuckerburg because they have a hatred of the entire "techbro" demographic and perceive him as the embodiment of that.

Plus his background, (rich businessman with no political experience buying his way into a primary run) is similar to Trump's.

My main objection to Zuck, beside him possibly being an android, is that he has control over the way that a large chunk of the US population gets its news and information.

A tweak to an algorithm here or there and suddenly it seems all you're seeing is Zuck4Prez ads or hit pieces on his opponents. Someone who controls that much of the flow of information should not be in politics.

It would be like Murdoch running for president, not just trying to be shadow president.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

You should be endorsing it if you know robots are coming for jobs in mass. It's going to be 100% necessary within our lifetimes. Whole industries will be automated. New jobs won't be created at a fast enough pace to replace the jobs lost.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

By "interesting" things does he mean one of our "allies" (the one he called) having an ultimatum out for another one of our "allies" that severely challenges their sovereignty?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

One of these days, these kind of Hot Takes will do anything except drive people away from the left.

ONE DAY!

That's not a hot take

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't like Zuckerburg because Facebook is complicit in the downfall of modern civilization.

Also because when he claims to support progressive causes, I think he's just telling the left what he thinks they want to hear.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

frothing badly from a standards lift

Shifty Pony posted:

Good to see that Dallas area mega-churches continue to be just about the worst things in existence.

ftfy

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Didn't they talk about most of these things except with "But this early in the term, it's because of Obama, not the pissbaby."

If the Fake News talked about them, wouldn't that make the information Fake News?

:psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They aren't ruined.

Wildwood boardwalk

• Locked thread