Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Hey guys... I just gotta say.

The Seahawks are fine.

Absolutely! They should stay the course, continue to do exactly what they've been doing so far this off season, add no additional players to the roster or adjustments to staff, and just keep up this fine behavior.

100% agreed.

Edit: unless it's Sweezy! Actually, hell no. That guy's a cheap shot artist who already ruined one player's career with a cut block, keep him the gently caress out of football.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

rip you beautiful man

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Remember when ET did the SEA Human Missle thing and murdered Gronk

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

rip you beautiful man

Still can't believe that was flagged, best clean hit I've ever seen

RIP Seahawks, you were good and then you all died except Russ and Doug I guess

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's not that crazy. They went to the superbowl back to back but it's been 4 years since then. The average NFL career is 3 years so yeah.

Glad we got a ring and some great games while we were good :)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Manoueverable posted:

Still can't believe that was flagged, best clean hit I've ever seen

RIP Seahawks, you were good and then you all died except Russ and Doug I guess

I sure won’t miss him. <— this is a compliment if certain fans can’t figure it out.

That play looks an awful lot like an illegal launch against a defenseless player, until you realize that Kam is just that freakish and his feet never leave the ground.

Fuuuuuuck that guy. <— also a compliment.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
There are so many Kam Chancellor plays.
*Vernon Davis hit
*many INTs where he was shallow, QB thought he could throw over and ended up right in his hands
*2014 Divsional Round playoff game vs Carolina - Pick-6 TD and jumped over the Oline to block FG twice.
*Super Bowl vs Denver, physically dominating the Broncos. One of the first receptions the Broncos had, the WR thought he had room to run but was knocked backwards about 4 yards.

The LOB worked because everyone had a role and trusted the other to make the play. Sherman had right 1/3 of the field. Thomas had the deep half. Kam could play aggressive because he knew there was support and backup.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcHvD2Y82b8

:chud:

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
The best underrated kam play is where he blows up some pulling o lineman from the cardinals trying to block him and then still makes the tackle on the RB. Yeah this is a bad description but I’m sure someone knows which play I’m talking about and can post the video.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol yeah this is a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wvh1BS3KJg

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

mike- posted:

The best underrated kam play is where he blows up some pulling o lineman from the cardinals trying to block him and then still makes the tackle on the RB. Yeah this is a bad description but I’m sure someone knows which play I’m talking about and can post the video.

It should be noted that the Seahawks went on to sign the OL that got blown up on this play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coldforge posted:

That play looks an awful lot like an illegal launch against a defenseless player, until you realize that Kam is just that freakish and his feet never leave the ground.

I don't think it matters his feet don't leave the ground. Davis has no chance to protect himself there and that's why hits like that have to be illegal. However the rule book was written at the time or ought to be written, that's a dangerous, brain-damaging hit that the NFL can't keep allowing defenders to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78qF72JwJwA

Vernon Davis is still midair, he can't do anything about it, and the hit slams his head back.

"It was crazy. He hit me so hard, I just got up, I didn't know where I was going ... kind of lost my memory a little bit. I just didn't know what happened." --Vernon Davis.

Lots of defensive backs bitch and moan about how it's just impossible to play the game now hits like that have been taken away, but there are effective techniques and somehow a bunch of DBs manage to do their jobs anyway so I don't buy it.

I'm sure this argument's been hashed out to death and I just haven't been part of it, but it's still distressing to me to see anyone - fan of the 'Hawks or Kam himself or not - laud that hit as being admirable or good.

e. It's also obviously horseshit that this hit "broke" Davis. He had a tremendous year in 2013 and didn't break down as a useful pass catcher until the year after that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 3, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I laud it as not only admirable, but good.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tank44 posted:

There are so many Kam Chancellor plays.
*Vernon Davis hit
*many INTs where he was shallow, QB thought he could throw over and ended up right in his hands
*2014 Divsional Round playoff game vs Carolina - Pick-6 TD and jumped over the Oline to block FG twice.
*Super Bowl vs Denver, physically dominating the Broncos. One of the first receptions the Broncos had, the WR thought he had room to run but was knocked backwards about 4 yards.

The LOB worked because everyone had a role and trusted the other to make the play. Sherman had right 1/3 of the field. Thomas had the deep half. Kam could play aggressive because he knew there was support and backup.

bargain bin adrian wilson

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've tried for a few minutes and I just don't know how to respond to that. We live on different planets.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Putting your spine in danger and damaging someone else's brain is not good. That seems like a pretty reasonable position to take.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You're wrong.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm kidding but I also don't think it's so terrible it warrants all the pearl clutching

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kam was loving robbed of Super Bowl MVP

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

has a defensive player ever been super bowl mvp?

e. looks like yes, most recently von miller in 2016, so hmm

malcolm smith got it for the hawks in 2014, lol

e. only three defensive backs have every won super bowl MVP. Safety Jake Scott (1973), cornerback Larry Brown (1996), and safety Dexter Jackson (2003). The remaining defensive players to win SBMVP were 4 linebackers, a defensive end and defensive tackle (co-winners in 1978, weird), and a defensive end in 1986 (da Bears).

Point I guess being that it's tough to win as a defensive player, and even tougher to win as a safety.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 3, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Malcolm Smith won because he had the flashy pick-six highlight and there weren't any offensive standouts (Marshawn had like 40 yards and Russ didn't have to do anything), but if you go back and watch the game it's so obvious that Kam was the best player on the field

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Most people who watch football, even the people that are paid to do that sort of thing like whoever votes on that, really only notice anyone who touches the ball or occasionally the tackle in the backfield. They're unlikely to pay much attention to the defense unless you rack up a bunch of sacks, interceptions (like 2 or 3 at least, not just one) or multiple forced fumbles. It's hard to stand out compared to the guy who touches the ball every play and whom the eye is naturally drawn to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's true. But like no offensive lineman has ever won MVP, because if you do your job really well it just means the QB had an extra half second to deliver the ball, or the RB had a marginally wider gap to run through - all eyes are on the guys with the ball. And you're right that for example a really great cornerback forces the QB to target someone else, and that means they don't even necessarily get seen on the TV as the camera tracks the place the pass went rather than the place the pass didn't go.

But that's football. Everyone on the team contributes, but there are positions that get lots of attention and positions that don't.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Good point. You could be the best cornerback in the league, shut down an entire side of the field for the whole game and you'd be lucky to get a brief mention during the broadcast.

For an O lineman, the only possible way I could see that happening is if 1) You're a tackle; 2) Your pass protection is perfect, you don't give a drat inch and your guy never even lays eyes on the quarterback 3) You serve as the lead blocker for a dominant running attack and make several dramatic blocks where you absolutely blow some guys up and flip them on their backs or lift them up in the air or something and finally 4) No one else on the field does anything remotely impressive.

So yeah, impossible basically

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah, an OL needs several dramatic pancake blocks to generate even cursory broadcaster praise.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Play posted:

Good point. You could be the best cornerback in the league, shut down an entire side of the field for the whole game and you'd be lucky to get a brief mention during the broadcast.

For an O lineman, the only possible way I could see that happening is if 1) You're a tackle; 2) Your pass protection is perfect, you don't give a drat inch and your guy never even lays eyes on the quarterback 3) You serve as the lead blocker for a dominant running attack and make several dramatic blocks where you absolutely blow some guys up and flip them on their backs or lift them up in the air or something and finally 4) No one else on the field does anything remotely impressive.

So yeah, impossible basically

Walter Jones 2005 MVP :colbert:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Best Kam plays:

- blowing up Demaryius Thomas in the Super Bowl
- Pick 6 of Cam Newton in the playoffs for the Kamquake, and Marshawn doing a crotch salute while he did it
- punching the ball out of Megatron's hand at the 1
- Leaping over the offensive line twice to block fgs (both attempts nullified by penalties, still awesome)
- aforementioned Vernon Davis hit

Gonna miss that man. My girlfriend met him once and did bootcamp with him too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

seiferguy posted:

rip you beautiful man

I'm not going to comment on the textbook legality of this hit, but it looks to me like Kam at least tries to put his shoulder forward instead of giving the guy the Pittsburgh Special.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

Orlando Pace HOF member. :colbert:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Despite losing leg, former NFL RB Isaiah Pead is back on the run

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Holy poo poo what a bad rear end dude. Way to not quit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Benne posted:

My bad I was thinking super bowl MVP for some reason which is why I was referring to a single game. But yeah over the course of a season it is possible (although the league has changed since 2005, even more passing now), but still really really hard and pretty dependent on poor performances from the more obvious positions like QB, RB, WR and TE.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'm not going to comment on the textbook legality of this hit, but it looks to me like Kam at least tries to put his shoulder forward instead of giving the guy the Pittsburgh Special.

Yeah in that case he actually does try, his form is really good but because Davis was jumping in the end he made direct helmet to helmet contact on a basically helpless receiver. It's definitely borderline imo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Their helmets don't quite collide.

The deal is: the rulebook lays out some specifics for what is an illegal hit, like helmet-to-helmet, getting your feet up off the ground ("spearing"), etc. But it also gives the refs broad latitude to declare any hit to be unnecessary roughness and call it a penalty. They did so in this case, irrespective of the technical breakdown of the particular hit, and that was the right call. Any hit that results in the other player being concussed has to be against the rules, because we have to stop concussing football players. The geometry of that particular hit was just unfortunate and I don't even know if Kam had full control over making it, but... it doesn't matter. I doubt Kam was intending to concuss Davis. Doesn't matter. The call was correct, and DBs may have to sometimes take a higher risk the offensive player makes the catch in order to avoid making such hard hits... that's just part of the game now, and it's going to be enforced via unnecessary roughness penalties.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Play posted:

My bad I was thinking super bowl MVP for some reason which is why I was referring to a single game. But yeah over the course of a season it is possible (although the league has changed since 2005, even more passing now), but still really really hard and pretty dependent on poor performances from the more obvious positions like QB, RB, WR and TE.

Jones wasn't actually the 2005 mvp, Alexander was. Although Jones deserved it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Jones wasn't actually the 2005 mvp, Alexander was. Although Jones deserved it.

Ah got it. Well he got the hall of fame nod at least. If you think about it super bowl MVP is actually more possible. Perfect pass pro, a few huge pancake/double blocks, leading to crucial touchdowns, maybe a fumble recovery or two. Easy peasy right

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Playoff odds from Oddshark:

Rams -170
49ers +135
Seahawks +220
Cardinals +800

Looks right.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
is the nfc west the strongest division in the nfl?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

is the nfc west the strongest division in the nfl?

Nah, NFC South followed by NFC North I think. Then NFC West and NFC East. Then a bunch of poo poo teams that don't play in the NFC

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1015065262570262530

pretend a teary eyed emote is here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That's so awesome. I'm sure his salary helps to pay a full time caretaker for his sister too. I still remember vividly when Goodwin scored that deep touchdown and fell down crying, feeling like it was some sort of sign as his unborn son had passed away earlier that day. He seems like a good guy and I wish the best for him

• Locked thread