Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s pretty ignorable and postgame too, so it’s not like what I’ve heard of Radiant Historia’s remake which gives the option to play the game without the new stuff but enemy EXP/gold is scaled around that stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've never so much as looked at Chrono Cross, maybe now's the time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The Dark Id has an excellent LP of it. The game isn't terrible itself but the combination of the marketing points of "sequel to CT" and "45 possible characters" combine to hamstring it immensely.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've never so much as looked at Chrono Cross, maybe now's the time.

Same. It feels weird that there’s a 20 year old sequel to one of my all time favorite games and I still haven’t played it. I’d probably give it a go if Square ports it to Switch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It is not really a good game, the battle system is nonsense and the plot... I have no idea what went on in that game even though I must've played it through three or four times. But I adore it. The characters range from charming to insanely dumb, the locations are super pretty, and it has one of the all-time best soundtracks. In particular, it is biologically impossible for me to not get at least a little hype just hearing the track from the opening movie. Which is also outstanding. If it comes out on Switch I'd buy it in a heartbeat and then not actually play it much.

Seriously, watch and listen to this poo poo. It is worth your time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I loving love Chrono Cross. I never gave a poo poo that it wasn't exactly Chrono Trigger 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i would've liked chrono cross a lot more if it wasn't trying so hard to be chrono trigger 2

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

I loving love Chrono Cross. I never gave a poo poo that it wasn't exactly Chrono Trigger 2.

I’d probably like this about it so I’m looking forward to finally playing it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
chrono cross would suck even without any of the expectations it had foisted upon it by virtue of being a chrono trigger sequel

pretty as hell with a good soundtrack though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Last Celebration posted:

It’s pretty ignorable and postgame too, so it’s not like what I’ve heard of Radiant Historia’s remake which gives the option to play the game without the new stuff but enemy EXP/gold is scaled around that stuff anyway.

What do you mean you can play all the new stuff last or ignore it and there is no real consequences.

I played it last and didn’t struggle at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some of the new stuff in CT DS is good but you have to slog a bit to get to it. Dream Devourer is a fun boss.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Chrono Cross is love-or-hate it. I think at this point the only way to know if you'll like it is to give it a fair chance.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Chrono Cross ... Is fine

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chrono Cross has some good bits and some bad bits

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Chrono Cross was really dull

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

What do you mean you can play all the new stuff last or ignore it and there is no real consequences.

I played it last and didn’t struggle at all.

Like I said, from what I heard, there were a bunch of people complaining that that was the case versus the original but I didn’t get exceedingly far in the remake’s demo.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I tried playing Chrono Cross on my PSP and good drat is it SLOW

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

E2M2 posted:

I tried playing Chrono Cross on my PSP and good drat is it SLOW

i have good news for you. after you beat the game once, you can start a new game plus with a key item that lets you fast-forward animations in battle. but even better, you can slow them down, to truly appreciate the animations, frame by frame!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What's the worst RPG on 3/DS?

My mind immediately goes to Black Sigil, the Canadian Chrono Trigger ripoff full of bugs that the publisher tried to excuse as anti-piracy checks, but I have a vague recollection of there being even worse games in the pile.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

My mind immediately goes to Black Sigil, the Canadian Chrono Trigger ripoff full of bugs that the publisher tried to excuse as anti-piracy checks, but I have a vague recollection of there being even worse games in the pile.

Well they did port the bad Final Fantasy Tactics clone from the PS1, Hoshigama to the DS.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Legend of Legacy is a cool RPG, because you can, and should, be a frog

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Avalon Code

Edit: Maybe not worst, but definitely most disappointing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's not the worst but it's a crumbling, ozymandias-style monolith, a warning to all future devs of what happens when you bind "talk/interact/investigate" to the same button as "special attack," and then build your entire game around using the check command on every pixel of every screen

my name is avalon code
rpg among rpgs
examine this monument, ye mighty
and despair

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 9, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sonic Dark Brotherhood

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
My niece (9yo) has just been given a 2ds does anyone have any game recommendations as although I have had a 3ds for years I'm not sure what a 9 year old is capable of!

I have gifted her the following from my collection: Animal crossing, Mario kart, Pokemon sun, New style boutique 2, Yoshi and poochy. They sound alright to me, any thoughts?

Any other ideas?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rirse posted:

Well they did port the bad Final Fantasy Tactics clone from the PS1, Hoshigama to the DS.

What makes Hoshigama bad?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

nerd_of_prey posted:

My niece (9yo) has just been given a 2ds does anyone have any game recommendations as although I have had a 3ds for years I'm not sure what a 9 year old is capable of!

I have gifted her the following from my collection: Animal crossing, Mario kart, Pokemon sun, New style boutique 2, Yoshi and poochy. They sound alright to me, any thoughts?

Any other ideas?

I've really enjoyed Rhythm Heaven and it's super cute.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

nerd_of_prey posted:

Any other ideas?
Kirby (Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot), maybe Yokai Watch if she likes Pokemon, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga... 9 year olds are fairly capable really.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
WarioWare Gold, too. In addition to the games my nieces have had a ton of fun with the movie-redub function.

absolutely anything posted:

chrono cross would suck even without any of the expectations it had foisted upon it by virtue of being a chrono trigger sequel

pretty as hell with a good soundtrack though

Wasn't it originally a completely different property, that they decided to shoehorn into being "CT2" late in its development?

But yeah, listen to the OST on YouTube and watch the opening animation. I can't recommend going any further than that. I guarantee that whatever plot you construct in your head around that animation would be better than the real thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
chrono cross was radical dreamers, which does have tangential connections to chrono trigger, and magil was always magus searching for schala. but they probably should've gone hard on the connection to radical dreamers instead of doing everything they could to retcon CT to suit the game.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Shadow225 posted:

What makes Hoshigami bad?

2 things basically:

1: Hitting someone from behind has a 100x damage multiplier and enemies always outnumber you.
2: There's permadeath if you don't have anyone with a revive spell.

As a result, you're basically guaranteed to lose at least someone for every story map you play, forcing you to get a fresh replacement and spend hours to grind them back to around the same level the rest of your party is so they're not a dead weight, only for you to lose someone else the next story map.

Then there's also the fact that you need to do a good amount of level grinding even if you didn't keep losing characters every battle and that there's only really 6 different classes in the entire game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
RIP Top Pomeranian http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32937

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4GmyAt6xg

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's putting out a really ugly Old 2DS with Mario Maker for black friday:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I think this was answered a few pages back, but I can't find it. I'm thinking about starting Radiant Historia. Is it worth buying the 3ds version if I already have a copy of the DS that I never played?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

loudog999 posted:

I think this was answered a few pages back, but I can't find it. I'm thinking about starting Radiant Historia. Is it worth buying the 3ds version if I already have a copy of the DS that I never played?

The 3DS version has some casual mode that makes the game more like a visual novel by turning off encounters. That may be appealing to you.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The 3DS version has some casual mode that makes the game more like a visual novel by turning off encounters. That may be appealing to you.

No, not really. It's got a new character and maybe some more chapter/content correct? Would that alone be worth it? If not I'm just going to start playing the DS. I've heard so much good stuff about this game and I promised I would play at least one game from my handheld backlog before I allowed myself to buy Diablo on switch.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

loudog999 posted:

No, not really. It's got a new character and maybe some more chapter/content correct? Would that alone be worth it?

No. Especially for a first time player, the 3DS "Perfect Chronology" version doesn't really add anything significant to the DS original, which was a complete, fully-thematically-realized game. If you already own that, you're good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

loudog999 posted:

No, not really. It's got a new character and maybe some more chapter/content correct? Would that alone be worth it? If not I'm just going to start playing the DS. I've heard so much good stuff about this game and I promised I would play at least one game from my handheld backlog before I allowed myself to buy Diablo on switch.

I like the new stuff but considering you already actually own the DS version just play that one. If you were picking one to buy I'd say go with the 3DS one but the extra stuff isn't worth buying it a second time when you haven't even played it once yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

No. Especially for a first time player, the 3DS "Perfect Chronology" version doesn't really add anything significant to the DS original, which was a complete, fully-thematically-realized game. If you already own that, you're good.

The PAL version is hard to get ahold of now though :argh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 3DS version is retranslated for some reason (I assume to accommodate the voice acting) and the writing suffers for it. It's not major, but noticeable if you have them side by side. I prefer the original's art style too.