Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
NM misread the card!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hedron Archive?

That's where my mind went, as well - Hedron Archive brings the cost down to 7 implicitly, making it pretty easy to cast Colossus as a followup.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Seriously though, it's bullshit that the best landfall creature in Standard is from Innistrad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I guess you could run a bunch of artifact based ramp. I don't think the card is worth it with no evasion though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

whydirt posted:

Seriously though, it's bullshit that the best landfall creature in Standard is from Innistrad.

It's more fitting that the second best landfall card is the new Nissa. At least she's from Zendikar.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

the Orb of Zot posted:

Something about this thing makes me think it could be broken open.

Borderposts maybe? The only deck I can think of that plays those is Restore Balance, which is both way out on the fringes and probably doesn't want this anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Buy one Metalwork Collosus and we'll throw in three more absolutely free

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

NM misread the card!

The official slogan of spoiler season

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What do people think about the Masterpiece Series reprints? I wasn't expecting Sol Ring or Gauntlet of Power to crop up in Kaladesh.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Niton posted:

That's where my mind went, as well - Hedron Archive brings the cost down to 7 implicitly, making it pretty easy to cast Colossus as a followup.

I'd be leery of building around a card that doesn't protect itself or generate value inherently and also can't close out a game quickly through chump blocks, especially with how many cards in this set can casually pump out servo tokens.

Like basically a creature with really big numbers and no means of reliably applying them to someone's life total is fundamentally not a good finisher and probably unplayable if it cost enough mana that you need to dedicate resources just to casting it on time.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What do people think about the Masterpiece Series reprints? I wasn't expecting Sol Ring or Gauntlet of Power to crop up in Kaladesh.

It will hopefully bring standard staple prices down, while doing nothing to impact any other formats staple prices. It makes packs like lottery tickets just like how Battle for Zendikar was.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Something about this thing makes me think it could be broken open.

Have you heard the good word of Chiss-Goria?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I was a little more excited when I thought it was Gauntlet of Might and the Reserve List was gone, but it's still cool to have fancy lottery tickets in packs and the price of standard cards being lowered is good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Buy one Metalwork Collosus and we'll throw in three more absolutely free

noncreature :eng101:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

whydirt posted:

And arguably the best source of card advantage. On a green creature.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

the colossus actually synergizes really well with vehicles, as each vehicle can reduce its cost, then crew up after he hits the board.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Voyager I posted:

I'd be leery of building around a card that doesn't protect itself or generate value inherently and also can't close out a game quickly through chump blocks, especially with how many cards in this set can casually pump out servo tokens.

Like basically a creature with really big numbers and no means of reliably applying them to someone's life total is fundamentally not a good finisher and probably unplayable if it cost enough mana that you need to dedicate resources just to casting it on time.

Oh, yeah, that i'll agree with 100%; I just think the card is reasonably castable if it was actually worth doing so.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

I actually like this guy. He's got some beef, and will probably kill two chump blockers if he swings.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What color is the energy deck? Is it Temur, gruul, or simic?

anglachel
May 28, 2012
This limited environment seems much higher powered and faster than Shadows and Eldritch Moon.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gensuki posted:

What color is the energy deck? Is it Temur, gruul, or simic?

Looks Temur to me, the Green enablers seem high powered and the blue stuff seem like just good cards and the red damage spell is really good. Whether there's enough for an actual "energy deck" remains to be seen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any word on a Languish replacement?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh, I was just gonna try and slam a blue vehicle deck. It may be a good way to go about it after seeing some of these newer reveals like that turtle. No matter what it's gonna be goofy and dumb, but I'll make it work.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Any word on a Languish replacement?

Calling it now:

2BB
Sorcery
You may pay any amount of E.
All creatures get -X/-X until end of turn, where is X is the amount of energy you spent.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Tbh, I was just gonna try and slam a blue vehicle deck. It may be a good way to go about it after seeing some of these newer reveals like that turtle. No matter what it's gonna be goofy and dumb, but I'll make it work.

I put my turtle in an airship and block your bird.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Logicblade posted:

I put my turtle in an airship and block your bird.

But is it a catapult turtle?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

Calling it now:

2BB
Sorcery
You may pay any amount of E.
All creatures get -X/-X until end of turn, where is X is the amount of energy you spent.

I really hope not.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Went 8-0-0 at Modern today with UW Merfolk, Path to Exile is so much more satisfying than Vapor Snag.

I also got my comeuppance against the Elves I lost to last week, first time when he got greedy swinging in for lethal with Ezuri, when I had 6 power of blockers to trade with that rear end in a top hat who thankfully can't regenerate himself. From there I slowly climbed back when all he was hitting was dorks.

Next game, when we were both down to 6 with fat boards, I swing in for 32 islandwalk.

His last card in hand? Fog.

My last card in hand? Swan Song :getin:

Four Score fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 14, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, am I missing something? Grixis Delver keeps siding in Winter Orb against me when I'm playing Miracles, and every time it's been far worse for my opponent than me. It's getting ridiculous. Am I just getting really lucky, or is there actually a reason that Winter Orb comes in? Every time, they pay 2 mana (plus one more for the land that stays tapped next turn) in order to turn it into a slow game, but that just turns their Wastelands into Wastes (because if you waste a tapped land, who cares, and if you waste an untapped land I can just use the mana without worrying about it) and it seems like Miracles just has really efficient answers. Plus, if they've got useless dross like Winter Orb in their hand, they are less able to protect themselves from Top/Counterbalance.

I guess the idea is to stick a threat, protect it when I tap my mana for answers, and then play the Winter Orb, but if they have an unanswered threat, then I'm pretty much dead already.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I want to say there is a charge deck based on electrostatic Pummeler.

step 1, get at least three charges by turn 3. (very easy. Harness the Lightning does it on by itself, also either of the thriving turtle, or the grubs + the energy land on turns 1 and 2)
step 2, electrostatic on 3
step 3, Larger than life, for +4/+4 and trample, double twice, give +2/+2 and hexproof if need be, swing for what very well should be lethal, but if not your opponent can no longer attack, since you have 1-3 creatures and can threaten pumps.

If you do not need hexproof, this is a 3-4 card combo, where 1-2 of the cards are in the deck around 12 times

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Okay, am I missing something? Grixis Delver keeps siding in Winter Orb against me when I'm playing Miracles, and every time it's been far worse for my opponent than me. It's getting ridiculous. Am I just getting really lucky, or is there actually a reason that Winter Orb comes in? Every time, they pay 2 mana (plus one more for the land that stays tapped next turn) in order to turn it into a slow game, but that just turns their Wastelands into Wastes (because if you waste a tapped land, who cares, and if you waste an untapped land I can just use the mana without worrying about it) and it seems like Miracles just has really efficient answers. Plus, if they've got useless dross like Winter Orb in their hand, they are less able to protect themselves from Top/Counterbalance.

I guess the idea is to stick a threat, protect it when I tap my mana for answers, and then play the Winter Orb, but if they have an unanswered threat, then I'm pretty much dead already.

If your on the play, dropping a delver. Then winter orb, before miracles can get the counterbalance down isn't terrible. Problem is the Winter Orb seems absolutely terrible if Miracles can get the Counterbalance down before the Orb drops. Like the entire deck can function off 2 mana with a top and a Counterbalance in play, and can just manually play untapped lands to stick a win condition. Meanwhile Grixis is probably having to dig for something to protect the Delver most turns.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 14, 2016

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

C-Euro posted:

"Noncreature artifacts" is a big stumbling block for breaking it IMO, any "artifact deck" that might want something like that is either primarily artifact creatures or cheap non-creature artifacts like Moxen. What's the most expensive artifact that sees Constructed play and isn't a creature?

I hope I'm wrong, big creatures that can get cheaper are cool in my book.

This is literally car voltron.

You play vehicles, and then the vehicles let you play the giant robot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dissappearing Act"
1UU
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Disappearing Act, return a permanent you control to its owner's hand.

Counter target spell.

--

Probably deserved a discount of some sort, even if the downside is situationally useful.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Rinkles posted:

Dissappearing Act"
1UU
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Disappearing Act, return a permanent you control to its owner's hand.

Counter target spell.

--

Probably deserved a discount of some sort, even if the downside is situationally useful.

Man, Deprive has fallen quite a long way, hasn't it?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jenx posted:

Man, Deprive has fallen quite a long way, hasn't it?

No more than Familiar's Ruse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Dissappearing Act"
1UU
Instant

Counter target spell.

--

can't wait to counter a terminate by returning the creature being targeted by it, that's value

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

can't wait to counter a terminate by returning the creature being targeted by it, that's value

Playing UB or Grixis, returning Oaths in Standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Dissappearing Act"
1UU
Instant

Counter target spell.

--

I think the idea is recasting ETB energy guys.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think the idea is recasting ETB energy guys.

Or Fabricate guys. Or Fabricate tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Winter Orb is one of those cards that was insanely good, like maindeckable good, in RUG Delver because it needed 1-2 mana most of the time. Grixis seems to have kept when it took over as the only playable Delver deck even though it's not actually very good in a midrange deck with a bunch of mana sinks.

• Locked thread