Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I would never do that. Zelda are puzzle games first and foremost. The fun for me is in the puzzling.
OP is not you and has different preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I play through the shrines that are cool, and look up the solutions for the ones that suck :chord:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

LividLiquid posted:

OP is not you and has different preferences.

It seems that you detected hostility in my post that was absolutely not there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I play through the shrines that are cool, and look up the solutions for the ones that suck :chord:

The only one I've looked up on a 2nd playthrough is the two dueling peaks shrines that tell you each other's solutions. Not because it sucks, it's actually good, I just don't feel like doing it manually after the first time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Winifred Madgers posted:

The only one I've looked up on a 2nd playthrough is the two dueling peaks shrines that tell you each other's solutions. Not because it sucks, it's actually good, I just don't feel like doing it manually after the first time.

That kind of design is always odd because yeah, it's neat the first time, but I also feel like it's just busywork afterwards since you're not really doing anything aside from making an extra trip to jot down some notes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

When I got there my first time I took screenshots of the solutions and I've used them for all other times I've done those puzzles.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It seems that you detected hostility in my post that was absolutely not there.
Ah. I'm sorry.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm midway through Minish Cap, and I'd forgotten how much I like the shrinking mechanic. The game's not gonna be one of my favorites in the series overall, but I think that's one of the better gimmicks the series has done. It lends itself to some clever puzzles going back and forth between sizes, and I really like the idea of things like going inside Armos Knights as a tiny person to turn them on or off, or dungeon bosses being normal chump enemies who are now huge because you're the size of a flea. I'd really like to see that whole idea return in a new game, Nintendo, if you're reading this and looking for ideas.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm midway through Minish Cap, and I'd forgotten how much I like the shrinking mechanic. The game's not gonna be one of my favorites in the series overall, but I think that's one of the better gimmicks the series has done. It lends itself to some clever puzzles going back and forth between sizes, and I really like the idea of things like going inside Armos Knights as a tiny person to turn them on or off, or dungeon bosses being normal chump enemies who are now huge because you're the size of a flea. I'd really like to see that whole idea return in a new game, Nintendo, if you're reading this and looking for ideas.

I think this would be too difficult to pull off effectively, but a true open world with this mechanic, where there's a whole new layer of the world to explore while you're tiny, would be incredible. It's a lot of fun in Minish, but it's such a curated experience (you're not exploring the same world tiny, you're exploring a new world designed around your tininess).

Also, I want an anthill dungeon. Make it happen, nintendo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking about how that might work as the next gimmick in the open world games, and it would be awesome in theory, but pretty much unfeasible in practice outside the 2D branch of the series. I can dream, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think this would be too difficult to pull off effectively, but a true open world with this mechanic, where there's a whole new layer of the world to explore while you're tiny, would be incredible. It's a lot of fun in Minish, but it's such a curated experience (you're not exploring the same world tiny, you're exploring a new world designed around your tininess).

Also, I want an anthill dungeon. Make it happen, nintendo.

Imagine BOTW and midway through the game you get a Minish ability and the overworld is detailed to that scale. Zelda Forever.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zelda thread simulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VA3N7BzwH8

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I’m guessing they scrapped it entirely and we won’t see it in TotK but the Minish we’re almost in BotW:

It’d be fun if there’s a Minish village, but honestly I see how they’re a little out of place.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Some garbage ratings in there but good/funny justifications.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, don’t make me have to agree with even a fictional version of Trump, please (or possibly Justin Roiland? Do all sex pests sound alike?).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One of the things that bugs me about Minish Cap is that the cap, Ezlo, is my least favorite companion in any of the games. He's not as talky as Fi, but nothing about his character or jokes lands for me.

And what's worse is that he falls into the same trap as the hint systems in the other GB games, where it feels like the developers just have no confidence in letting the design guide the player. There's so many times where you're in a dungeon room designed around some specific object, you see it and hear over to investigate, and he stops you midway to go "WHOA LINK, LOOK AT THAT WEIRD THING! I WONDER WHAT IT DOES, WE SHOULD FIND OUT!". And it's doubly bad, because they already gave you a system to ask for his thoughts on whatever room or area you're in, but they mostly waste it with things like telling you you're in x dungeon even after you've been running around in it for ten minutes. Just let the design speak for itself and give me hints when I ask for them, and it'd be great.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Ezlo is the worst, The King of Red Lions is the best.

Midna is middlin' tier.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Midna is middlin' tier.

Ok, let's not get too crazy here

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hey

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Listen

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

King of Red Lions rules

Lol one time I used the name “dammit” for funny dialogue outcomes and it made the KoRL’s first line be “pull yourself together, dammit!”

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tatl is fun

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah, Ezlo is the worst, The King of Red Lions is the best.

Midna is middlin' tier.

Master, there is a 98% probability you are incorrect while Fi exists to slam the brakes moments after every single plot beat.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the DLC for AoC worth it if I find the story and setting details of the game really great but the moment to moment gameplay to only be fine?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Shiroc posted:

Is the DLC for AoC worth it if I find the story and setting details of the game really great but the moment to moment gameplay to only be fine?

I'd look up videos of the weapons/characters it gives you to see if they appeal. There's some but not a huge amount of new story content IIRC.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Shiroc posted:

It's debatable for sure, there's some story to it, the characters/weapons are fun for a bit, but it doesn't feel nearly as content heavy as the original Hyrule Warriors DLC was

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
AoC is kind of a weird experience because it delivers on being more heavily story driven in the BotW setting that I would love from a regular Zelda game but the musou gameplay feels ill fitting and perfunctory.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah the musou stuff worked well for Hyrule Warriors because it was a love letter to the Zelda series as a whole. You got all the characters and weapons and it was just goofy fun without being tied to any of the games specifically. I didn't get too far into AoC because I just kept thinking "I could be playing BotW instead..."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The parts where you control the Divine Beasts do make them feel more impressive as weapons than BOTW did, which is nice. Turns them into more than just anti-Ganon artillery and shows why Hyrule was screwed losing them.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Shiroc posted:

The parts where you control the Divine Beasts do make them feel more impressive as weapons than BOTW did, which is nice. Turns them into more than just anti-Ganon artillery and shows why Hyrule was screwed losing them.

Link, thank Farore you're here! The Divine Beast is mildly annoying our tiny village! It's been doing so for a hundred years, to very little consequence. You're our only hope!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That the same village with the guy spent years looking for the great faerie fountain that had a path straight to it leading out from that same town?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Nah, the worst offender is Rito village, where the Divine Beast was right above the town and had just never once rained hell upon the town.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Didn't the Divine beasts only recently reawaken and start trouble?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah that's the thing, they awakened together with link and none of them have done anything devastating yet but nobody wants to wait for that to happen

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's a shame the other divine beasts didn't really match the stakes of "Vah Ruta is gonna make the dam fail and cause a megaflood that will destroy everything downstream".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Calamity is actually a protest against the Dam for the communities destroyed to build it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Finished my Zelda Megathread playthrough after leaving it on hiatus since shortly before AoC launched. I've learned that canon is real and it will hurt you.
I think I'll celebrate by playing Zelda.
https://i.imgur.com/se7M2Xo.mp4

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

superjew posted:

I’m guessing they scrapped it entirely and we won’t see it in TotK but the Minish we’re almost in BotW:

It’d be fun if there’s a Minish village, but honestly I see how they’re a little out of place.

Yeah, it wouldn't really fit, and I'm glad they didn't do teeny-tiny heartbreaking ruins.

Though now I'm imagining a Minish arcology in a Decayed Guardian and drat I wish I could draw...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A new trend is rightfully appearing:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRWRqsyP/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/kaido_sakura/status/1631309017489494016
Six years of Wild Breathing