Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

That's how subtitles work here too though. Stuff here (the UK) isn't always subtitled so things still say subtitled. And Dolby stuff shows up too because not everyone has soundbars!

It's a US term used to differentiate from simply translating foreign language, I didn't coin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

Closed Captions means it's for deaf people. So it indicates other noises that are taking place, like

I was always under the impression that the "closed" part of closed captioning meant that you had to turn on that feature on your TV (or hook in a special box or however it was done in the 80s) to see it. Open captions would be part of the actual picture, like the subtitles on a foreign film, so everyone sees them regardless of their TV settings.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Drone posted:

What was the budget on the TNG upgrade? I could see Netflix doing something with it, though DS9 by the own admission isn't as popular as Voyager or TNG in terms of analytics.

The Netflix - CBS relationship seems pretty good, at least when it comes to Discovery, so maybe they'd be interested in doing more. (iirc it was reported that Discovery was basically funded by money Netflix paid CBS to have exclusive streaming rights in ROW outside of the US).

I remember reading somewhere it was ~$20 milllion for the series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This all goes back to CBS just not understanding how to capitalize on Star Trek

Now that they have their own streaming service, they could easily make it an "event" and come out with an episode a week. If you got just 100k new subscribers to sub for three years at the commercial plan, it would fund itself.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
It is kinda wild that there's never been another animated series since The Animated Series, and especially during the fallow period between Enterprise and Discovery. Build up some viewership, cultivate some interest by young people, tell stories that would be expensive to do in live action, draw on some of the tie in novels or comics for source material so you make the franchise work for you. Cultivate your poo poo--its audiences from when it was popular are old or dead now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dukat would be a decent lead for a workplace comedy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

we really only need to convince Jeff Bezos that DS9 is the best Star Trek and needs remastered

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It is kinda wild that there's never been another animated series since The Animated Series, and especially during the fallow period between Enterprise and Discovery. Build up some viewership, cultivate some interest by young people, tell stories that would be expensive to do in live action, draw on some of the tie in novels or comics for source material so you make the franchise work for you. Cultivate your poo poo--its audiences from when it was popular are old or dead now.

The problem is that western non-comedy animation is still pretty much entirely targeted at pre-teens/young teenagers.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
for the picard show they should simulcast avery brooks as sisko as picard and every episode is a sliding doors type deal where we explore how these great but fundamentally unalike men would handle a given scenario

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I've been watching a lot of Trek lately (mainly DS9 and TNG but the odd Voyager and TOS) and I've noticed they really like the double axe-handle attack for their fight scenes. It's quite prominent.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DuhSal posted:

I've been watching a lot of Trek lately (mainly DS9 and TNG but the odd Voyager and TOS) and I've noticed they really like the double axe-handle attack for their fight scenes. It's quite prominent.

It started with Kirk and every portrayal of it since then has been an homage to Kirk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

we really only need to convince Jeff Bezos that DS9 is the best Star Trek and needs remastered

Only if we get a 2-for-1 and include Babylon 5.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Arglebargle III posted:

Dukat would be a decent lead for a workplace comedy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If I was one of those TOS era fan film groups I know what I would be doing as a proof of concept.

Take some TAS scenes, and have your cast lipsync to them. Then replace faces with the actual TOS cast using that creepy DeepFakes technology (if you don't know what it is then NWS on searching it)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

1 animated film of Odo going “quaaaaarkkkkk!!!!” That is exactly 15:01 minutes long

You got it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuu6m_6Fsw

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

I have often thought that it was weird that no idle billionaire just dropped some pocket change on it. I thought Silicon Valley loved Trek.

To be honest, we will probably have to wait for the day when advanced AI can just automatically generate all the extra detail for real uprezzing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You couldn't tell until this enhancement that LaForge always had a Twix bar getting crinkly and melty in his pocket. Technology had really made me appreciate the nuance they put into the characters and setting despite knowing you'd never see it on TV.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh poo poo scene one is done!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

oh my god

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to say transporter range in TNG was given as ~20,000km

40,000km actually, but still that's only a bit more than 10% of the way to the moon, let alone Mars. Of course, JJ Trek had interstellar transporters so who knows.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

curious times indeed that i live to witness the first ever successful goon project and you'd think it'd get less funny as it goes on but please stick with it as i personally assure you that it gets much much funnier

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It would take ten thousand relays between Earth and Mars at 40k km a pop.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Space, huh? Sheesh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pyrotek posted:

I remember reading somewhere it was ~$20 milllion for the series.

It was closer to $20 million per season for the remaster. Remember, not only did every single effects element have to be manually recomposited, every phaser redrawn, etc., they had to re-cut each episode by hand. It was an obscenely time-consuming, and therefore expensive, effort, especially after HVS botched the second season, forcing CBS Digital to staff up to manage the remaining five seasons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

You couldn't tell until this enhancement that LaForge always had a Twix bar getting crinkly and melty in his pocket. Technology had really made me appreciate the nuance they put into the characters and setting despite knowing you'd never see it on TV.

Adding pockets to seasons which lacked them is a bridge too far

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Extra Pockets Edition is actually great. Who can forget that scene where Riker picks up the perfect flat rock and puts it in his pocket, later on to skip it across a still pond?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It looks like Stage9's virtual recreation of the Ent-D got the CBS ban hammer finally.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamnit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oh my god a goon project is actually materializing

:allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I am proud to be the 13th view of this worthy addition to Star Trek canon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jeeves posted:

It looks like Stage9's virtual recreation of the Ent-D got the CBS ban hammer finally.

This was just posted in the Games mod thread but it’s relevant here too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwP6uuYOWo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

I am proud to be the 13th view of this worthy addition to Star Trek canon.

It’s a actual deleted scene from Trials and Tribbleations. Ira Behr told me so while I was huffing freon

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A successful goon project! I think the forums shut down now. it's been a pleasure serving w/ you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really love the cel jitter :allears:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jeeves posted:

Probably didn't help when Giant Bomb covered it a few weeks ago during a Friday show.

(Giant Bomb is owned by CBS).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

Probably didn't help when Giant Bomb covered it a few weeks ago during a Friday show.

(Giant Bomb is owned by CBS).

Yeah, that would get an army of lawyers drooling to bathe in some sweet, sweet billable hours. Idiots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

If the traffic would bear it you could have some kind of big ol' barge that collects people from Earth who beam up for fifteen minutes, then goes to Mars at impulse or low warp, parks for fifteen minutes, and makes the trip back.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

If the traffic would bear it you could have some kind of big ol' barge that collects people from Earth who beam up for fifteen minutes, then goes to Mars at impulse or low warp, parks for fifteen minutes, and makes the trip back.

Oh poo poo the ferry

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I assume that's what does happen, all over the Federation. Big and probably very cushy space trains. Mass-produced constant transports. A huge number of constant impulse/low-warp inside a solar system, sleeper service mid-warp ships between systems.

We apologise for the inconvenience, but the twelve thirty seven to Mars has been delayed and is now departing in twenty-three minutes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jeeves posted:

Aww dammit, I’ve loved seeing the updates. What are they banning them for? They’re not selling anything.