Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

AngryRobotsInc posted:

XIII, voted the best game of 2009 by reader poll in Dengeki. Got a 39 out of 40 from Famitsu. Received good reviews almost across the board in the West. Sold over 7 million copies worldwide.

XV, 38 out of 40 from Famitsu. Generally good reviews across the board. Has sold over 8 million copies worldwide. Has been acknowledged as saving the series as a whole.

I think we have very different definitions of poorly received.

Let's not get into the state of gaming journalism. It'll get real unexpectedly racist in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Poulpe posted:

Let's not get into the state of gaming journalism. It'll get real unexpectedly racist in here.

what the gently caress is wrong with you

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i miss hellthread. what i dont miss is dealing with the bullshit that is uncharted 3. that game is poo poo from start to finish, the only good character is sully, and you don't even get to play as sully.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

[Speech 34/50] I'll receive you poorly. *wink*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Olaf The Stout posted:

Dark souls means more to him than his religion, and he has no hobbies besides videogames. He takes a week off work for every Fromsoft game launch and beats them all the first time without ever googleing anything, and then looks up stuff to platinum them. He's also one of those guys who doesn't read much in-game and plays a lot of games without ever learning all their systems and mechanics, but his pure footwork, timing, and fundamentals are so good he beats them easily anyway.

Your friend makes me sad

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Samuringa posted:

Geralt fits in any game, he just has to complain about portals when introduced.

That's literally how he gets introduced when he shows up in Soul Calibur 6's Libra of Souls mode. He just falls out of a portal and immediately complains about it. :allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Poulpe posted:

Excuse me for insulting your poorly received video game series!
No accounting for taste!

I stand by my statement though, largely the series is being viewed as lower and lower quality, and I think now we're in a context where people feel like they have to play the next one regardless, but the luster is wearing thin.

why are you being such a weird rear end in a top hat over this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Samuringa posted:

Geralt fits in any game, he just has to complain about portals when introduced.

Valve, get on this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Byzantine posted:

[Speech 34/50] I'll receive you poorly. *wink*

[FAILURE] Is that an attempt at... humor?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My small home town of Pontypridd, South Wales gets a shout out in Lego Rock Band. Ordinarily this would be neat, but the mention comes as a tip when loading a Lostprophets song... and the lead singer of that band is currently in jail for horrific child sex crimes.. and you have to play the song to progress the game... and I kinda tangentially knew the guy when I was growing up...

Basically it's all bad vibes for a chirpy Lego music game :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I got so fed up with Master Mode being boring and unfun that I restarted in normal mode and created my own, self imposed challenge of doing limited HUD, no fast travel, no upgraded armor, no Majora's Mask, no full heal + hearts meals and being high as gently caress. It was a much better experience.

You miss out on so much of the combat in Master Mode because it's rarely worth it to get into avoidable fights in the first place.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Aug 7, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Riatsala posted:

You miss out on so much of the combat in Master Mode because it's rarely worth it to get into avoidable fights in the first place.

This is me in the regular mode, lol

It wasn't intentional, but they managed to hit the exact combat tuning to act as a perfect negative reinforcement loop for someone like me who is Bad At Games, so I spent most of my time just avoiding anyone other than the chumpiest of chumps and then swearing a lot when the game actually made me fight in dungeons and such.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is me in the regular mode, lol

It wasn't intentional, but they managed to hit the exact combat tuning to act as a perfect negative reinforcement loop for someone like me who is Bad At Games, so I spent most of my time just avoiding anyone other than the chumpiest of chumps and then swearing a lot when the game actually made me fight in dungeons and such.

Right? I get the durability isn't that big a deal because weapons are everywhere. But the weapons that were everywhere weren't my awesome elemental weapons that made me ignore hot and cold. And no way in hell was I exchanging those for a club.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantasy has been indestructible ever since it survived Final Fantasy II, no amount of completely valid 'but I don't like XV' takes will kill it.

FFII is my submission for 'things dragging this game down', basically everything about the game is something wrong with it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
FF2 was an interesting experiment to see how lovely they could make a game and still have it expand into a massive franchise.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Things I liked about FFII:

The increasingly predictable departure of 4th party members

You could customize your character classes

that's it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For its time, FFII's story was alright. Still fairly early in terms of console JRPGs.

It's very much an Akitoshi Kawazu game, though. His games are basically "Psh, tell you how the mechanics work? Git gud, scrub". You want a really good example of that: the best guide for just tempering in Legend of Mana on GameFAQs is 160K. That's one text guide. For one single mechanic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I hated botw combat in master mode until I started getting mid tier weapons and could actually engage enemies instead of running from the simplest bokoblin. In fact, I was a little dismayed when I got the master sword and realized I didn't have much reason to engage with the whole durability mechanics, using the cool weapons I found, since the master sword was typically good enough.

gently caress the trials though, tried that a few times and realized that the regenerating health, extremely limited resources, and almost nonexistent margin for error would make for a miserable experience. 100%ed every shrine and found every piece of clothing, though. Did the dlc too.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Hot take: the only good FFs are IX and the first 5 hours of VII

Everything else was dogshit trash for moron babies

Please like and subscribe if you like this video and want to see more videos like it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Sticker Star

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

For its time, FFII's story was alright. Still fairly early in terms of console JRPGs.

I'd love to play a remade version of ff2, one that rebalanced all the values so it wasn't a hot mess with interesting ideas where the best strategy is always to run around naked with a shield(?) while beating up your allies.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I personally dislike games that have you backtrack to use new powers in old places but that doubles when it’s in a game like Spyro 2.

I’ve got that special kind of ocd that really likes having nice round numbers which means, in levels where you can’t get all the gems due to not having an ability, I have to walk on egg shells making sure I leave the level with a nice round number.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I'd love to play a remade version of ff2

I've got great news!

Morpheus posted:

one that rebalanced all the values so it wasn't a hot mess with interesting ideas where the best strategy is always to run around naked with a shield(?) while beating up your allies.

...oh, yeah, that would be nice.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Riatsala posted:

Please like and subscribe if you like this video and want to see more videos like it
Thinking about it, 5 hours in was around the point where I quit FF7 (it may have been longer, was shortly after recruiting Cait Sith I think) so maybe there's something to this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

My small home town of Pontypridd, South Wales gets a shout out in Lego Rock Band. Ordinarily this would be neat, but the mention comes as a tip when loading a Lostprophets song... and the lead singer of that band is currently in jail for horrific child sex crimes.. and you have to play the song to progress the game... and I kinda tangentially knew the guy when I was growing up...

that sucks, but I hope your 18th birthday is a good one :)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Riatsala posted:

Do you have a patreon I can donate to to monetarily own the people I disagree with?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RareAcumen posted:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Sticker Star

God that still makes me mad. Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door are two of my favorite games ever, and then they went and made everything else... not using the winning formula they already had. It was and is the dumbest poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

VanSandman posted:

God that still makes me mad. Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door are two of my favorite games ever, and then they went and made everything else... not using the winning formula they already had. It was and is the dumbest poo poo.

I always thought it was both weirdly funny and sad that we (somewhat rightly) give Nintendo flak for not innovating and sticking to formulas, except that it's totally flipped with Paper Mario; they keep innovating, and we're just here wishing they didn't!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Paul.Power posted:

Thinking about it, 5 hours in was around the point where I quit FF7 (it may have been longer, was shortly after recruiting Cait Sith I think) so maybe there's something to this.

p. sure u get cait sith at around hour 85

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I always thought it was both weirdly funny and sad that we (somewhat rightly) give Nintendo flak for not innovating and sticking to formulas, except that it's totally flipped with Paper Mario; they keep innovating, and we're just here wishing they didn't!

Well it wasn't so much innovating as much as it was scraping a feature of the genre out to its detriment. Still having battles but not giving you any worthwhile rewards for them is just wasting the player's time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I'll still support Super Paper Mario as pretty good, I didn't like it the first time but it improved when I tried again with different expectations.
But that kinda makes the surface-level return to form even worse in Sticker Star, gutting the basic gameplay enough that the primary mechanic is literally a waste of time and net resource drain much of the time. To say nothing about issues with the world and puzzle design :sigh:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Super Paper Mario had plenty of flaws but it also had a lot of interesting ideas and cool moments, with perhaps the most unique setting in a Mario game and great characters. It just sort of feels like they stopped trying after that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Backtracking to access hidden locations with your brand new sick-nasty abilities is fine but you have to be strategic about it. Don't just drop an area that requires a grappling hook in the very first area if I'm not even gonna get the grappling hook until I'm 3/4th through the game. That poo poo gives me anxiety!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Super Paper Mario was decent enough as long as you ignored all the optional stuff, because holy poo poo was that bad.

"Here, do this thing 100 times, now do it again, and once more for good measure"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Necrothatcher posted:

I was just thinking about them the other day. I loving LOVED Lostprophets and finding out about the lead singer was devastating. I deleted all their stuff from my collection but lately their songs keep popping in my head and are making me nostalgic.. :( gently caress that guy and everything he did. What a goddamn monster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exquisite tea posted:

Backtracking to access hidden locations with your brand new sick-nasty abilities is fine but you have to be strategic about it. Don't just drop an area that requires a grappling hook in the very first area if I'm not even gonna get the grappling hook until I'm 3/4th through the game. That poo poo gives me anxiety!

Arkham Asylum handled this dynamic well.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Morpheus posted:

I'd love to play a remade version of ff2, one that rebalanced all the values so it wasn't a hot mess with interesting ideas where the best strategy is always to run around naked with a shield(?) while beating up your allies.

When I played the GBA version as a kid it was a pretty frustrating experience with a lot of grinding and a huge struggle to beat the final boss (and the GBA bonus dungeon with your dead party members was impossible), but I replayed it recently actually knowing how the mechanics worked and... it was pretty fun?

All you really need to know is that physical characters should stay in the front row and use the best armor they can that doesn't ruin their evasion (as their shield level goes up this becomes less and less restrictive until you can just equip everything).

That's it, the game is pretty open apart from that. I breezed through both the main game and the postgame dungeon with literally a fifth of the HP I had on my old file and no grinding.

The GBA port kind of works against you though, as the equip menu doesn't show all the stats when equipping gear and the optimize option will straight-up sabotage you by ruining your evasion.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Apparently nintendo didn't like having two long-running mario RPG series and thought they were too similar and cutting into each others sales. So they chose one series to remain their stable RPG bet, and the other had to innovate itself away from the traditional RPG experience, hence why the paper mario series basically had its guts and skeleton ripped out. Also TTYD had hundreds of unique NPCs and very clever writing, while later games make you talk to mostly dry and boring toads the whole game.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Aug 7, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They're different enough in character and gameplay that they could coexist fine, even having Paper Mario be the console franchise and M&L the handheld one would've been great.

PYF Game Companies Dragging This Game Down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
A thing that drags Super Paper Mario down:

Middle, Right Left.
Left, Right, Middle
Right, left, Right
Right, Middle, Right
Right, Left, Middle
Middle, Left, Left
Left, Right, left
Left, left, Middle
Middle

The game expects you to write down this sequence from a NPC's dialogue and repeat it by bonking these blocks later in the level. This is mandatory to progress.

Connoisseur has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Aug 7, 2019