Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They have to be looking up and down their entire catalog for games that'll be quick, easy, and able to sell for 3DS while there's still 10 billion units out there not yet fully jammed in the backs of closets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m all for Superstar Saga getting its remake just for the ability to have not poo poo GBA quality sound but remaking BIS just seemed like a waste.

To be fair it’s the best of all the games.

It’s also so they can get one last kick at milking those 3desque sprites before they have to move on to Switch development.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Paper Jam had some pretty abysmal sales numbers, so I wonder if this is just their way of gauging if there's still interest in the Mario and Luigi series at this point.

As it should because Paper Mario is just loving toxic right now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Color Splash was good. I’m hopeful for the next PM.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone will be better than Theresa May

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah between Odyssey and the Bowser Jr. Cutscenes it's Intelligent Systems own fault if they don't do anything interesting story wise with the next Paper Mario.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Anyone will be better than Theresa May

Ha

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What I don't get is if Alphadream can remake all their old stuff why's Paper Mario off the table

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Intelligent Systems is too busy pumping out Fire Emblems

SeANMcBAY posted:

Color Splash was good. I’m hopeful for the next PM.

You're god drat right it was.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

You're god drat right it was.

If they could match the writing quality of Color Splash but just have more traditional Mario RPG gameplay then we could have something very good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the in-battle gameplay is what turned me off of the other Paper Marios, excepting Sticker Star just being all-around poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, gently caress traditional Mario rpg gameplay. The new formula is better

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No, gently caress traditional Mario rpg gameplay. The new formula is better

You have to be kidding

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want a Mario RPG with D&D ruleset.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In other words, an actual RPG.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If there's any generation that will fix Paper Mario, it's this one

Nintendo is in no-loving-around mode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheKingofSprings posted:

You have to be kidding

I think they ran out of interesting partner ideas hallway through the second one and I'm glad that now it's just Mario. I mean the second one you had baby Yoshi (cool), another goomba, another koopa, another bomb, some kind of mouse, some kind of titty ghost, and some kind of witch ghost. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.

When Miyamoto told them "Hey can we focus more on characters from the Mario game instead of all these bizarre OC's" he was absolutely right. And let the enemies be enemies again instead of giving them free standing villages and real estate in your own kingdom, Peach. You can't trust a nokonoko and you can't trust a kuribo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vivian owned, up yours!
Sticker Star and Color Splash have the most miserable combat systems I’ve ever experienced in an RPG and they belong in the trash.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can't tell me you wouldn't like to see more Madama Boos slapping people with fans

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think they ran out of interesting partner ideas hallway through the second one and I'm glad that now it's just Mario. I mean the second one you had baby Yoshi (cool), another goomba, another koopa, another bomb, some kind of mouse, some kind of titty ghost, and some kind of witch ghost. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas.

When Miyamoto told them "Hey can we focus more on characters from the Mario game instead of all these bizarre OC's" he was absolutely right. And let the enemies be enemies again instead of giving them free standing villages and real estate in your own kingdom, Peach. You can't trust a nokonoko and you can't trust a kuribo.

Sweet Jesus...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

On one hand Mario has enough character variety where they shouldn't need OCs, but on the other hand

Augus posted:

Vivian owned, up yours!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sure but what the gently caress even is she.

When the M&L series creates new event types they at least kind of match the setting.

"oh this is a goomba but in the beanbean kingdom so it's a bean. Oh this is functionally a koopa but inside of Bowser it's a blood cell with a shell".

You know what would be a cooler Vivian? The same character but a magikoopa. The sister of Kamek and Kammy

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sure but what the gently caress even is she.

trans

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're insane

And I liked Colors Splash

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Miyamoto should’ve stayed the gently caress out of it!

Now instead of 50 different Toads there’s 50 different Toads that all use the same recoloured Toad sprite

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's not Miyamoto's fault they interpreted his advice in the most boring way possible.

Again Vivian and the X-nauts are cool, but Mario has enough character variety that they could have made something good with existing characters, but decided not to use a majority of them. No Monty Moles, no Charging Chucks, none of the SMB2 bosses except Birdo, and this is before even Odyssey even introduced stuff like Pokio. There's no excuse now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Another issue with the giant battles in the BIS remake. There's no left handed option. Dream Team had one for those, but the way they handled it was by making a 2nd version of the battle since they couldn't just mirror it since that wouldn't play nicely with the cinematics. So I guess they cheaped out big time on those (and boy does it show there. Just compare Dream Team's giant battles to the ones in the Bowser's Inside Story remake.) And unlike in the original, the controls are on the right side this time, not the left.

While the giant battles in Dream Team were outsourced to Good-Feel, the ones in Bowser's Inside Story were outsourced to Arzest. The same people who made Yoshi's New Island and Hey Pikmin, and had a bunch of the same people who worked on Yoshi's Island DS.

This explains a lot with what happened in those sections of the game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 14, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird Nintendo keeps giving Arzest/Artoon work

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird Nintendo keeps giving Arzest/Artoon work

I think Yoshi’s New Island sold a lot.

It’s not that bad of a game, to be fair. Just not nearly as good as the game it’s aping. The soundtrack is really bad too except for 2-3 songs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe Nintendo is literally being haunted by the ghost of a dead development studio.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe Nintendo is literally being haunted by the ghost of a dead development studio.

Silicon Knights???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

If they could match the writing quality of Color Splash but just have more traditional Mario RPG gameplay then we could have something very good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Colour Splash would be a much better game if they just killed off the sticker combat altogether and made it an inventory-driven adventure game slapping Things everywhere. The combat was completely superfluous anyway. (I also love the hell out of the game aside from the combat)

Ditto for any future similarly-done Paper Mario's.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A new wave of Nintendo Selects for 3DS has been announced. Majora's Mask, Star Fox 64 3D, and Super Mario Maker.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I wonder if Super Mario Maker for 3DS sold better than the real Wii U version

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's better than the WiiU version honestly because of its extensive single player content, really cool Nintendo designed levels each with two challenges.

Personally I don't need the ability to upload my levels.

It also does a much better job of teaching you how to make levels

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

alright i liked Color Splash so i ignored that other stuff, but that's just nutso man

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's better than the WiiU version honestly because of its extensive single player content, really cool Nintendo designed levels each with two challenges.

Personally I don't need the ability to upload my levels.

It also does a much better job of teaching you how to make levels

Cool!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you're a person who uploads a lot of levels the WiiU version is the only one that lets you do that but otherwise the 3ds version has better content and only a couple of limitations

Especially now that Miiverse is dead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I nearly finished Super Paper Mario when I lost interest realising the real gameplay was never going to start.

And Vivian is a shadow creature, I though that was obvious. The same kind of demon as the Shadow Queen, even. Paper Mario TTYD's companions were rad, they mostly all put a fun twist on the Mario species they were and were pretty good for representation given over half of them were female. Especially since they basically were the main characters of the game since they actually had dialogue. (and unique dialogue for plot events that you could only get once!) It's criminal that the game's basically been made a footnote in Nintendo's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I nearly finished Super Paper Mario when I lost interest realising the real gameplay was never going to start.

I spent like an hour trying to get up a tree because the platforming in Super Paper Mario was so bad. I nearly got all the way up, missed a platform and fell all the way to the bottom. I turned it off and never played it again.

The 3DS version of Super Mario Maker is bad.

I'm happy to finally get a physical copy of Star Fox 64 3D at a reasonable price.